“Great service, great security”
Review of Rondel Village

Rondel Village
Ranked #34 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The staff at the hotel is wonderful. Hugh & Karl work security & do a great job. The beaches in Jamaica are public so there is no prohibition against people trying to sell things to you as you lay on the beach. However Hugh asks the salespeople to leave if it appears they are bothering you. The housekeeping staff is also great, especially Donna who cleaned our room most days. Front desk staff seemed disorganized at times & frequently had to get back to me after checking with another staff person about something. Internet was occasionally down but a quick call to the front desk resulted in resetting the router & restoring service within 15 minutes or so. Restaurant is ok but a bit higher priced than other venues nearby. If you get a villa, be sure to have one of the housekeeping staff cook you dinner at no charge (the meal was so good, we tipped her $30 & total cost was about what we would have paid to eat out for dinner). Place is very clean & secure. I can see why I met several families who come back here every year. All in all, a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Villas are a great deal. Make sure you get a room on the beach side.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

This was my second time at rondel village. The first time I went it was myself, my boyfriend and our baby girl, plus 3 of my boyfriends friends. Iv already reviewed rondel so i will sum it up quickly this time. The first time we went we stayed in coconut, the one bedroom oceanfront villa. Very comfortable, very spacious. This time my boyfriend went a week before myself and he stayed in nesberry, the 2 bedroom villa, and he said it was verrrrrrry nice. Lots of room, amazing king size bed, screens on the windows so you can sleep with the windows open in the evening. I went the following week with a girlfriend and we stayed in a standard room, ocean side ( iv already explained this in my first review, the hotel is divided in two, ocean side, and across the road). The name of the room was lemon. Very nice room, not the most modern, but very comfortable beds, nice size T.V, and large balcony. This is a second floor room. We are going again mid january with our daughter and will be staying in coconut again. What makes rondel village so special and guarantees you will be a customer for life are the staff. I CANNOT express how professional, how warm how special these people are. Im talking about EVERYONE, from saleen at the front desk, to jhano and carl the daytime security guards, to the housekeepers who really have become like family to us. Miss portia just a gem. The ladies at the restaurant go above and beyond anything you've ever seen in terms of customer service. I have never experienced such warmth from any staff anywhere in the carribean, and iv been to a lot of places. This place is like home to us. The service is 5 star. If you want extensive details about the property itself read my first review about rondel. I highly recommend this place. You will not be sorry, worth every penny. The staff is just unbelievable. Its a hidden gem, I promise.

Room Tip: coconut is the last villa on the property, closest to the beach, one bedroom, really spacious.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I've said it once and I will say it again. You can get a great beach in a lot of places, but it's the people that make the difference and at Rondel Village it's the people that make all the difference. Not that the grounds and rooms are not great (and they are superb), but we find that it's the people that keep bringing us back.

This was our 20th anniversary trip and our 20th trip to the island overall. We stayed in Orange, a newly remodeled room on the second floor of the beachfront building on the left of the property as you walk towards the beach. It was great to immediately see Carol, Portia and Donna caring for the rooms. Hugs and greetings of "welcome home" all around. I can't imagine pulling up to Rondel and not being greeted by Johno and Carl. They truly take care of us while we are there. They make us feel like family.

Soon enough, down to the bar to see Delroy, He keeps the red stripes extra cold for us, and in between serving customers we discuss US Football, European Futbol, the NBA, Jamaican Politriks, Tourism and the myriad of problems that plague the world. Between us we come up with solutions to most of the world's problems.

As I mentioned, we stayed in a newly renovated room. They have attempted to make things a little more private by tinting the windows thereby giving a more private and intimate feel to the rooms. I get it that some feel a little cramped at Rondel since the rooms are so close to each other, but to me that isn't really a problem as we are not in our rooms that much and I think the closeness give a more secure feel.

We will be back in February for our normal trip (this was a special trip just for our anniversary). I can't wait to once again be welcomed back by our Jamaican family at Rondel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Monty A
Reviewed 14 December 2013

This was our 3rd consecutive year staying at Rondel Village for Reggae Marathon. Again, the grounds, rooms and especially staff made our stay very enjoyable. Definitely recommend Rondel when in Negril

Room Tip: Book on the beach side and ask for a room on second or thrid floors. Closer to the beach and you en...
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This was my 16th time to Negril and 7th time to Rondel staying in different accommodations on the property. Ortanique by far is the best one bedroom villa on the property. Have stayed in Coconut, Lime and the front superior rooms. They are all fantastic!! The security is the best around in Negril. Karl and Johnno are the best :) Everyone is awesome there!! Delroy at the bar is the best!! Carol, Portia and Donna rock as housekeepers and cooks :) Friend used the new spa and she said it was phenomenal.... Always the best as returning guests. Stayed Nov. 28th to Dec. 7th and will return again in 2014

Room Tip: Ortanique or Coconut are the one bedroom beach front villas and they are recently remodeled and are...
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Although they are right in the center of the 7 mile beach, it could possibly the worst location as it is flanked by 2 abandoned properties making the beach around it not as clean as the others.

The rooms are basic but clean and comfortable.

The staff is friendly.

The restaurant is pricey but there are many other choices on the beach and on the road to eat.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank avid_indy_travelers
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We vacationed at the Rondel from October 19, 2013 to October 26. It took over an hour to get through customs at MBJ, then a one hour and fifteen minute taxi (van) ride to the resort. We were given the newly renovated Kiwi room. It was close to the beach, and you could see a little bit of ocean from the left side of the patio, though the main view was of an empty lot next door. The patio was quiet and secluded. The room had AC and refrigerator. It was off season, and the hotel was at about 10% occupancy.

The hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating. Security watches over your bags while you are swimming and help to negotiate good prices from the beach vendors (we tipped security daily). You quickly feel like the staff are your friends. I never before invited the wait staff and bartender to share a pizza with us as I did here. Great group of people..

First night we had the Rondel's taxi driver take us to the Hi-Lo grocery store. He waited while we shopped, then gave us a ride back to the hotel. It was $10 USD round trip. We later found that the Shamrock super market, a 5 minute walk away, had a smaller selection, but slightly better prices.

We were easily able to stay under out budget of $100/day for two people ($20 bkfst, 20 lunch, 60 dinner) while in Jamaica. The Rondel had one of the nicer restaurants in the area, and good reasonably priced food. The goat curry ($10), broiled fish ($16), and pretty much everything we had there was excellent. Try their chocolate cake for dessert. Don't get the resort's $10 breakfast package---it's cheaper to buy it. We were disappointed with the Da Gino Italian restaurant next door, very basic Italian, and Maros down the beach had good food, but they were very disorganized (don't expect to get what you ordered). Take a taxi to 3 Dives for great lobster cooked over a 55 gallon drum grill ($25 USD). There are roadside jerk stands within walking distance---grab some for lunch on your way back from the Shamrock grocery store ($5).

The beach/ocean was drop dead gorgeous. No waves in the morning, small ones in the afternoon. You can float in the warm water all day. Recommend you take a raft along. Vendors sell great lobster ($8), pepper shrimp, patties, and fruit on the beach. The veggie patties from the guy with a box on his bike may have been the best thing I ate all week.

Do the One Love Pub crawl (free) and the Red Stripe Catamaran tour with dinner/snorkeling/drinks/Ricks ($50). Both great values and tons of fun.

We rarely stay at the same hotel twice, but Rondel is definitely worth a return visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple