“What a amazing vacation Fabulous place!”
Review of Rondel Village

Rondel Village
Ranked #32 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 14 June 2009

This is the most amazing property! Absolutely beautiful . The grounds are breathtaking.The staff have all been there many years and Take pride in everything they do.Some of the nicest people we have ever meet. And i mean everyone from the front desk at check in ,to managment ,security ,housekeeping ,maintenance,groundsman..I could go on and on..loved the restraunt on site. Loved the kitchen in our villa we could go down town to the market and cook our selves if we wanted to.The place and the staff are the reason we will go no where else but Rondel in the future..We were there for 10 days and belive it when I say it was over way too soon.I am not unpacking one suitcase just so it will be ready at a moments whim..It is truely amazing! Perfect location ...PERFECT everything.When it wopuld pop up rain we would hang out on the hammock on the porch and fall asleep......See pictures......We are coming Back!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank psather1
There are newer reviews for Rondel Village

Reviewed 1 June 2009

My husband and I just returned from a long weekend at Rondel Village. It was only our second time staying at Rondel, but it feels like a second home. The grounds are well manicured. The new beach bar is very nice. The staff here is excellent, you feel as if you are among friends. Our room was kept very clean and Johnno and Carl made us feel safe and well cared for. We were able to upgrade to a beachfront room and the view really made the trip extra special for us.

We ran into the taxi driver we met last July, Balo, and received excellent service as usual when dining up at Westend restaurants. We also walked to a few and also to Shamrock Grocery to fill our fridge. Breakfast(fruit) and lunch(patties) walk right past our lounge chairs. My husband got an excellent massage from Pat from next door. I could not tear myself away from the gorgeous beach!

We bought our share of carvings and jewelry from vendors walking by, and walked down to Waves lot to buy a dress and painting from Mystic and Petrus(sp) Dixon. Very nice guys! Waves lot had a large Family Fun event that weekend and we met some very sweet children while swimming. We enjoyed listening to the live band from our balcony. I can't wait to return again with our kids in September!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2009

Myself and 4 of my girlfriends went on this trip, in celebration of my friend's graduating from med school. When we got to the hotel to check in, the front desk clerk was very nice, the lobby was clean. Check-in was quick, and we proceeded to our rooms. The rooms are named after fruits, so we stayed in "Ackee", and "Plum", and were pleasantly surprised. We thought that since we opted for the garden view rooms (across the street from the hotel and the beach), the rooms wouldn't be as nice, but they looked like individual little villas. There was a complex with about 10 little villas (maybe more), and a pool and jacuzzi in the center. The landscaping is very nice, with lots of flowers, fruits and greenery.
The rooms were clean on the inside as well, with plenty space. There were only a few little things that were missing:

The windows didn't have screens on them, so lots of bugs came through when we opened the bathroom windows during showers.

There was no iron, or hair dryer in the rooms.

The rooms had refrigerators, but no microwaves.

Oh, and the hotel can do a bit better job with coordinating activities and tours for guests. A couple times, I called to get a massage, or to find out the times for certain activities (i.e. horseback riding, rum tour, etc) and the front desk clerk didn't have any answers.

Other than that, our stay was great. The maids were friendly, and they made sure we always had clean towels, enough toilet paper, soap, etc. One time, when I came back, I even saw that the maid folded my clothes (which I had thrown on the floor) and put it on top of my bag. I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 May 2009

We arrived in the evening after it had gotten dark, and walking to our room after check-in was like walking through a tropical paradise. The grounds are not fancy or large, but they are beautiful . We had a superior room which was adequate-clean, comfortable, and a nice porch. Beware if you have young children-many of the rooms (like ours) have tiles which get very slick when even the slightest bit wet, but you can ask the staff for an additional beach towel to throw down by the door for when you come in from the beach.

All of the staff there was phenomenal. We have never been anywhere on vacation where staff has made us feel so genuinely welcome. It is a small hotel, so they have the ability to go above and beyond with all of their guests. They will even cook one meal per night in the rooms of those people who are in the villas and have kitchens-the maids help plan the meal in the morning and then someone comes by later to cook for you and clean up.

There is a restaurant and bar on site-restaurant is expensive but pretty decent. There is a beach within a stone wall where you can lay to either avoid the vendors on the main beach or get shade under the trees. A security guard sits from 7 am- 7 pm by the gate to keep the vendors from coming in. The guards were some of the nicest people I've met and help with anything you need-they pull out a beach chair when you come if there are none out, direct you to good food, etc. The beach outside the wall is small but beautiful. There are vendors that come by, but they really aren't as bad or pushy as one would think. In 99.9% of cases, a polite no will do the trick.

The pool on the beach side is really pretty and clean, as is the hot tub.

Because this hotel is smaller, you feel like you have the place to yourself. This was helpful to us since we had our 16 month old son, and were concerned about disturbing other guests, but it was quiet enough that we didn't encounter too many other guests. For parents, this place (both hotel and Jamaica in general) is a wonderful place to travel with a child. This culture as a whole seems to really adore babies and children. People were constantly warm and engaging, doing everything from having conversations with him to picking fruit out of the trees for him to eat in the morning.

One thing to keep in mind is that they do have the basic rooms across the street from the other Villas and Superior rooms. It is a short distance, but for the low cost of upgrading to a Superior room, it may be worth it.

I really wish that people would start giving these smaller hotels a chance rather than flocking to the large chain all-inclusives. It is a much more personal experience where you get to know the people around you and immerse yourself in culture. We will definitely be going back to Rondel next year, and the year after that.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank GBinPhilly
Reviewed 25 March 2009

Our first trip to Jamaica, and after reading a fair amount about the island, Negril and seasons I realized that spring break was probably not the time that I wanted to stay on the beach. I was ready to stay the entire week on the cliffs in the west end of Negril, but on second thought I realized my 14 year old daughter was really after a white-sands-beach vacation. So I split our time between the beach and cliffs.

We spent our first 3 nights at Rondel. We had a very positive impression of the place upon driving up; security at the entrance, beautiful gardens down the walkway past the office, clean office, friendly staff at the desk. No problems with our reservation and check-in.

Our room was a superior room, Strawberry, on the 3rd floor. Very clean every day and plenty large for my husband, daughter and I. The bathroom was divided into 2 areas to make getting ready easier. They have television in the rooms (which I actually don't like when I'm on vacation; however my family likes it.) The whole place is bright (painted white outside with white and pastels in our room) and airy.

We could open all the shutters and balcony doors when we were in the room for breezes. I had read that mosquitoes would be bad but that must be seasonal; we saw 1. We did turn on the a/c at night due to humidity and to counteract the music from local bars; the bass pervaded, but didn't interrupt our sleep overall.

I chose Rondel based on reading deeper into TripAdvisor reviews of other resorts/hotels only to find they were located very close to places like the Jungle (a local club that plays early into the morning) or other beach bars. Rondel seemed to be positioned well on the beach between other quieter resorts. On our way out of town at the end of the week I did see, however, a huge stage being set up 2 doors away from Rondel; our driver told us that one of the Marley sons and other major reggae stars would be performing that night. It would have been cool to see.

I read the "Rough Guide: Jamaica" guidebook extensively before our trip. We were well-equipped with the right attitude to have fun and talk with the beach vendors selling everything, and I do mean everything. Travel is a huge adventure and learning opportunity if you take the moments as they come. We didn't find any of the vendors offensive and they weren't offended if we didn't want what they were selling, especially if done in the spirit of friendly exchange with a direct answer (and good-natured joking doesn't hurt either.) We did follow common sense and weren't out on the beach or streets after 9 p.m. alone (maybe that's more due to our need for sleep...)

The great thing about Rondel's beach is that if you don't want to interact with the vendors you could choose to locate your chaise behind the wall, in the sunny sand around the palm trees. And they have a swimming area roped off (not many resorts did) to keep the jet skis and glass bottom boats out of the way. If you want to do some serious, deeper-water swimming though, best to get up early in the morning before the water traffic picks up.

Karl was on duty for beach security while we were there and he provided great service for us, lining up a glass bottom boat to go snorkeling and refereeing with vendors for fair pricing if needed.

Restaurant on-site was convenient with decent food; friendly wait staff. We ate at Cosmos one night, a long walk down the beach, which had a more authentic Jamaican menu, and at Ristorante Da Gino (next door to Rondel) one night. It serves very good Italian. We found really tasty patties (made from scratch on-site) at Mel's on the beach (a few doors away, toward the roundabout). Nyah's was highly recommended for patties, but we didn't make it there.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Karen55115
Reviewed 17 March 2009

My fiance and I stayed at the Rondel Village in April 2008. I have realized how helpful these reviews are when searching for a place to stay this year, so I decided post our review of Rondel.
Check in was a hassle and it seemed as though none of the employees had any personality and were very unwelcoming. Upon our arrival, we were not impressed. However, after checking in we saw past that as the grounds are beautiful! The resort has a very nice location on the long stretch of the beach, just about in the middle. The room was always VERY clean. We tipped the maid about $2 a day which I think helped. Even after a day at the beach, getting sand all over the room, we could come back at night to a clean room. We did have a few lizards find their way in, but that is to be expected.
The resort pretty much shuts down at 10 or 11 at night. We really did not spend much time at the hotel aside from during the day, as there is not much to do there. The beach area in front of the resort is very small, so you have to find a spot early in the day, or watch for one thereafter. There are plenty of places along the beach within walking distance to go to though. There seemed to be one popular place to go each night. There is one restaurant at the resort, Irie, and the food there was pretty good, especially breakfast. Our favorite place to go for dinner was Kuyaba. The atmosphere was great and super relaxing. A more energetic place to go is to the cliffs, the Rockhouse cafe. It is about a 15 minute cab ride away and super fun.
There are some negative aspects of Negril, such as stray animals that will follow you if you befriend them, VERY slow service, and hagglers. You will find this anywhere you stay in Negril.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2009

Our stay at Rondel Village far exceeded our expectations for our “Girls Night Out 2009” week long vacation. We were greeted immediately by a warm staff, who also assisted us with our luggage to our suite. Each suite had a specific name, we stayed in the Sorrel Suite (Sorrel is a Jamaican Christmas drink). The rooms were clean and spacious. The hotel seemed to be mindful of the conservation of energy...iIt was nice to see that each villa was equipped with solar panels (which I believe powered the AC units in each room). We definitely recommend staying on the beachfront side and a balcony is a MUST to enjoy the nice island breeze while viewing breathtaking sunsets.

The landscaping on the property was splendid; it almost had the feel of a natural rain forest. Rondel Village gave us a strong sense of security, which was a concern for me traveling with other women. Rondel is, also conveniently located in the middle of the Seven Mile Beach, making each destination walkable (its about a 1 mile walk to the roundabout – Negril’s center). We spent the majority of our time on the West End in order to experience more of a Jamaican flavor. The Gelato at LaBella’s and the oxtail and curried goat at CJs (both on the West End) definitely made a lasting impression on us!

Taxis were prevalent and inexpensive when we ventured out to other parts or visited the Hills. The cabs also came in handy at night when we had to return to Rondel Village from the West End. Everything was at your fingertips at Rondel Village, from the local vendors and Jamaican cuisine on the roadside to parasailing and snorkeling at Green Island ($20). We would definitely recommend Rondel to our friends and family!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends