“drink rip off”
Review of Yard Beach House

Yard Beach House
Ranked #12 of 45 Negril B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I went to Jamaica with my family and two other families. Stopped off at Sea splash we ate dinner and ordered 3 drinks when we got the bill they charged us 27 dollars a drink which I have never seen before . We tried to talk to someone and the owner practically did not care that we spent over 100 dollars in food all I can say is" RIP OFF" also the food was horrible the chicken looked old and tasted bad.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Henry L

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

We love Seasplash. Different family members have stayed here many times. It is a small resort . It has a GREAT location on Negril beach. The food is superb , lookup Norma's Seasplash restaurant. She is an award winning chef. So excellent. The staff has always been great. It has everything you need for a nice relaxing vacation. I would say better for adults ,kids may get bored . Rooms are nice and comfy and clean. A very nice Jamaican vacation!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013
4  Thank Jennifer R
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My wife and I first visited Seasplash in 2007. We've traveled to Negril a number of times and wanted to give a boutique hotel a try. We loved it. Friendly people. Beautiful grounds. Attentive staff. Norma's, although a little pricey, had fantastic food at the time.

So we decided to go back in July of 2013. We felt as though we stepped into bizarro world. No smiles. No friendliness. As someone else posted, it felt like we were inconveniencing them. The food at Norma's ain't Norma's. Gross. And the bartender kid who's name I have purposely forgotten was a punk who expected a tip for saying hi. In 2007, great reggae music played from the bar while you sipped on a cocktail on the beach. Well, the music has been replaced with a TV that the day bartender and rest of the staff watch all day. Just a very, very sad turn of events. Even the once lush grounds are shot. Milton May be "the salt of the Earth" but he needs some help. Great location with lots of potential. We should have bought it back then when we thought about it. Hopefully someone with some love and cash to invest in improvements will pick this place up and help it realize it's full potential.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DownShore888
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I have been going to Negril for over 30 years and have stayed at many of the hotels...Sea Splash had always been a favorite of ours because of the great location, the wonderful staff, and the comfortable rooms. I stayed there a year ago (2013)and found that they had experienced some tough times with some interim managers and the hotel was not being kept up...however last year they were beginning to get things back to where they should be...but as I remembered the staff was wonderful last year...this year not even close...although they are continuing to refurbish their rooms the owner's have created an incredibly uncomfortable vibe....I began my stay by having the owner's wife argue with me over the agreed on room rate. Our email was very clear and she argued that the rate was given by a front desk clerk who made many mistakes and that I should understand that this clerk had cost her a lot of money....WHAT??? I had the rate in writing but not wanting to continue to argue with her and really ready to get my vacation going I agreed to pay an extra amount. I no sooner agreed than she said she would have someone else handle the extra charges because she was late for her bus....I own my own business and when a customer is not happy I try to rectify the situation and take care of resolving the issues...she was clearly disinterested in this. The drinks at the bar were so "carefully" measured that they tasted very watered down....they could not even make a rum punch with real fruit juice...they had no beach attendant and not until after my 3rd day of complaining that the vendors on the beach were especially persistent (this was because they knew there was no beach attendant) they finally got someone who was supposed to be the beach attendant/guard...not so fast...he was more interested in walking around in his guard outfit and looking like he was the guard but never once asked a vendor to move on. I had asked the staff for the owner's email so I could share our thoughts and experiences about our stay...including a particularly disturbing experience one morning at breakfast with their "Security Officer" and was told, "she doesn't like to give out her email , you can just post it on Tripadvisor and she will know how your feel". It is really a shame that a place which was once comfortable, fun, and had wonderful customer service should be ruined by ownership who is
clearly not interested in their guests and have no interest in their staff...(the staff was on eggshells the whole time we were there because out of the blue long time employees were fired without explanation so everyone was very tentative about most everything) Mrs Law I am sad you have created this atmosphere in your once wonderful hotel and I won't be staying with you again nor will I refer Sea Splash to any of my friends....and I have many friends who travel to Negril!

Room Tip: rooms upstairs give you a bigger feel with their vaulted ceilings
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank KathyK-Chi
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed at Sea Splash for five nights with family and friends. This is the second time we stayed - the last being seven years ago - and we were glad to see that some of the rooms have been refurbished. The rooms are spacious and clean and are set within some lovely grounds. The location is great as it is slap bang in the middle of the beach. We dined at Normas Restaurant, which was part of the hotel, and the food was excellent. All in all a good spot and good value for money

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank SeanOSullivanE17
Reviewed 22 March 2014

My boyfriend and I came here on a groupon deal last month. For what we paid, this was an awesome deal. The location is perfect, on a beautiful stretch of the beach and the outdoor deck area is really nice. The junior suite was also a great size (although quite stuffy and we had to switch rooms because of a broken safe that they couldn't find the key for).

You definitely do get what you pay for though. The restaurant is only okay, so we took advantage of the free breakfast with our rate but didn't eat there otherwise. One major complaint is the scarcity of umbrellas there. There are only two so guests would literally wake up at 6am to reserve them. If they got more umbrellas this would make a big difference.

The staff were friendly. The service moved very slowly but seems to be part of the culture. We would return to negril for sure and maybe try to stay at one of the other places on the beach, but this was a great deal.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank becbecca33
Reviewed 2 March 2014

It's hard writing about this place, I have some history with it and it still holds a place in my heart. We stayed here for 4 days in February. It was a last minute deal, and all they had available was a full suite available which would normally be way too much for my wife and I, we were leaving another resort where we just weren't happy and I didn't care so much about price any more, so a large suite seemed just fine to me. It's been a few years since I stayed here, but I was pretty impressed with the room. Shower and toilet both worked awesome, room was clean and very welcoming. The overall property is in good shape, it's kept clean and "pretty". It really turned our whole vacation around, so much so that I'm going to start staying here again upon our return. I only really have one complaint about the place, there aren't too many people smiling there anymore. I know there has been a lot of turnover in management, and I imagine it's been hard on the staff. We always get smiles because we know most of the folks working there, but really in a customer service environment a great attitude and smile goes a long way. I usually tip pretty generously, but there are some folks there who just look at us like we're inconveniencing them (especially in the restaurant), It is worth noting though that there are an equal amount of employees working there who always have a smile on their face and always put their best foot forward. The maids are fantastic, Milton (general maintenance and grounds keeping) is the salt of the earth.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms are great for privacy.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple