“Gem by the Sea...”

Jackie's on the Reef
Ranked #36 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My husband and I discovered Negril, Jamaica 10 years ago. We have visited almost yearly and find Negril to be that magical place for both of us to reconnect with one another and ourselves. On this most recent trip, my husband was celebrating his 40th birthday. A good friend of mine had recommended a visit to Jackie's to celebrate. I'm so glad we took her advice... we took a beautiful morning yoga class with Nicole. What an amazing space to practice in! Facing the ocean for much of the class and hearing the sound of the ocean and Nicole's loving guidance were a real treat. We then had oceanside aromatherapy deep tissue massages. The massage therapist were fantastic!! I usually don't prefer deep tissue, however, these therapist were very in tune with the body and applied the perfect amount of pressure. Finished with a wonderful soak in the tub by the ocean. A great place to harmonize the mind and body. We will be returning to Jackie's again and again. Highly recommend a visit to Jackie's!!!! So glad to have discovered this beautiful gem by the sea. Thank you Jackie for making this dream into a real space for all of us to share. With love and gratitude….../julie

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Julie L
Jackies R, Manager at Jackie's on the Reef, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2016

Reviewed 29 November 2013

My husband of 29 years and me became empty nesters recently and I was also turning 50 during this vacation... I had needs just did not know exactly what they were. I was not sure what to expect at Jackie's nature spa...but felt it was an adventure to be had. We arrived after 6pm (which I recommend to arrive earlier to get acquainted with your surroundings before retrieving to your corner of paradise at Jackie's). If you seek your very own EAT, PRAY, LOVE experience this is where you will find it.

EAT...The meals served were exotic in flavors and textures and prepared from home grown vegetables, fruits, grains and spices by an excellent gourmet chef that gave each dish the perfect touch as expected from any top notch fine dining. I was excited and looked forward to every meal. Since I had a big birthday to celebrate Jackie surprised us with Lobster that needed no butter for flavor! We celebrated with champagne and a special Jamaican cake. It was topped with a sky full of stars and sounds of ocean waves! It was perfect!

PRAY...I am not religious (nor is Jackie, like some posts say), however I am spiritual and found the environment to be conducive for personal reflection. The nature, the serenity, the daily meditations, and the morning yoga was enlightening. And the special coffee served by 'Ranger' tasted holy! The environment is also perfect for group deep conversations or private intimate ones. I met some wonderful people I hope to keep connected with.

LOVE...This is a perfect place to strengthen your relationship, friendship and or Self love... if coming out of a relationship. It is romantic, intimate and friendly. I felt safe and de-stressed. Even found some Kama Sutra books that were interesting (wink wink).

I read a comment about "nakedness be damned"...so true with the massages on the beach! Cannot be shy for the body scrub and wonder if the fishing boats far in the ocean have binoculars! LOL talking about getting the best massage EVER and feeling like you checked off one thing off your bucket list "get naked in public area"! LOL

I have created memories here and it was a perfect place to be as I face my 50's with new energy, gratefulness and inspiration. Thanks Jackie it was a pleasure meeting you and thanks for sharing your paradise with us!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mperezens

Reviewed 9 November 2013

The ultimate experience can be had at Jackie's on the Reef!!! I've been to Negril many times and this was the perfect oasis away from the hectic beach area. A friend and I just got back and had the absolute best time. October is the perfect time to go...the crowds from the summer are gone and the bustle of the holidays are yet to come. That being said, we were the only 2 people there with the amazing and friendly staff. Because it is not on the beach, you don't have people hounding you to buy things and the vibe is quiet, quiet, quiet!!! We spent the ENTIRE first day in the free-form saltwater pool amongst the crashing waves and the sun. PERFECT!!! While we did venture to the beach, we definitely preferred the seclusion of Jackie's. Maurice had our bellies full and more full each and everyday with fresh juices, teas and fresh, organic food...such a nice, young man. And that Ranger (the ultimate groundskeeper), does he EVER stop moving or working?!!! Always with a smile on his face. Karen and Miss Paulette have the best hands ever!!! You MUST do the body scrub and massage on the cliffs. Nakedness be damned!!! Yoga Karen (as we call her), our house mother, was such a soothing presence, morning and evening with interesting conversation and crazy yoga poses (so NOT my thing, but I'll try anything (within reason) once!!!) And taxi driver Winston, the best surrogate dad and impromptu tour guide. Jackie has a great thing going and I've been talking about it non-stop. DEFINITELY planning to go back!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Just thinking about Jackie's a few weeks later makes me smile with contentment. I came with a friend for five days and the experience was everything we could have hoped for. Jackie herself attends to every detail and here wonderful aesthetic permeates the experience: simple, natural, yet artful and beautiful. The massages by the water, the morning yoga, the day beds in the open air for reading and thinking and listening to music and the sounds of nature; and the wonderfully fresh food and juices (and morning coffee) all sparkling and pefect. The staff including Jackie herslef couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. Highly recommeneded.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 August 2013

I chose to spend my 60th birthday at Jackie's with four close friends and it was a perfect birthday gift for me. Jackie's is the perfect getaway for those who want,and need, to get away from hectic homes or stressful work environments. Jackie's is a quiet spa with outstanding treatments and excellent food. Each day begins with Jamaican coffee, or tea followed by an awesome yoga session with the Caribbean Sea in the background. The remaining day is spent either having one of the excellent treatments, or spending time napping, reading or just enjoying the scenery. My favorite treatment is the body scrub, a fabulous experience. This is an excellent spa for those who want reconnect to themselves, those who are able to disconnect from the world since there are no phones (except for emergency) no TV's, and no Internet. This is just a beautiful spa for people to truly enjoy a relaxing retreat. The rates are excellent since they include breakfast and dinner.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Deborah D

Reviewed 12 August 2013

I had the most amazing experience at Jackie's on the Reef. It is simply magical!. You are immersed in a sacred, beautiful sanctuary that nurtures your body and soul. We would start the day with an excellent yoga class, have a delicious breakfast on the veranda overlooking the ocean with fresh , local organic food, including fabulous juice mixtures. Every meal was sublime.

There is an ocean fed Jacuzzi style pool, where you can let the ocean bathe you. There is circle of stones that you can lay inside of, and feel the protection and communjon with the earth.

It is an ideal spot for a quiet getaway, for relfection, journaling, reveling in the raw beauty of nature. Jackie is a most gracious hostess. To me she is a high p[riestess as well!.

Room Tip: I think the room was called the geodesic dome, awesome!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Jackies R, General Manager at Jackie's on the Reef, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Thank you for sharing your positive experience and detailed observations of Jackie’s on the Reef on Trip Advisor. Many travelers will find your observations very helpful. I am glad that you had a great stay at Jackie’s and I look forward to your visits in the future.
Blessings,

Reviewed 7 August 2013

After a rough year, I need a moment to recharge and refocus and decided solo travel would provide that. Have always loved Jamaica, Negril, in particular, so I began looking for places that would offer the solitude and serenity I needed. Seven-Mile Beach is beautiful, but I had no desire to be among the masses. I found Jackie's thanks to Travel & Leisure, did some research and booked 5 days at the property.
It was the best thing I've done for myself in ages.
Here's the thing about Jackie's: there is no pretense. It is exactly as it bills itself, a serene escape. The food is fantastic!!!The staff is lovely; the spa treatments divine. And, Jackie herself is a gem among women. But truly the value of the place is its vibe. It is a healing place, a place that encourages you to live in the moment.
What Jackie's is not is a spa retreat. The only thing "posh" about the place are the gourmet meals made from locally-grown and organic foods. The plating is worthy of any 4-star spot I've been to. But other than that, it's humble. Simple, functional linens and furniture. Well-worn and sun-faded books. You won't find Bliss products or Frette sheets here.
What you will find is a moment (or two) to breathe.
(And it's so inexpensive!!!!!)

Room Tip: Those seeking solitude should request the cottage or Dome.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank sherri s
Jackies R, Sales at Jackie's on the Reef, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

We are happy to hear that Jackie’s was the right fit for you. Our goal is to provide serenity, nurturing and relaxation in a simple way. Living in the now and finding that moment or two to breathe, “priceless”