“More than relaxation...”

Ranked #41 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Winnipeg, Canada
“More than relaxation...”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Just returned from my first trip to Jamaica. I was looking for a retreat that included Meditation and Yoga. The Yoga every morning was great, the instructors were very good at meeting you at your level. The treatments were amazing and performed by two beautiful women. The food was very good. It is a very intimate atmosphere, I felt like I was staying at a relative's home. I stayed two nights in the main house and 4 in the Dome both were great but the privacy of the Dome is a bonus. The bathrooms are outside, but private, just adds to the ambiance! This is meant to be a place to go to rest, reflect, and discover your inner self, not as a sleeping place to tour from. I think if I were to do it a second time I would spend four nights here and then carry on to a more central area. The only downer I can say was the fact that they advertise meditation and the time I was there, there were no group meditations happening, which was my main reasons for choosing Jackie's and why I only gave 4 stars. Every thing else more than met my expectations.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank BLC52
Jackies R, Manager at Jackie's on the Reef, responded to this review, 17 May 2016
Thanks for sharing your review. We so appreciate your visit. Many Blessings:)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Jackie's on the reef is a rejuvenating life force, leaving the NYC behind and stepping into a world of deep focus and reflection opened me and my life up more then I could have ever imagined. My life is deeply rooted in technology and the 24 hour news channel something that before Jackie's on the Reef unknowing was causing me a lot of deep turmoil. I came back to my life more aware of my experiences and better able to choose the battles in my life that were worth fighting.

I did an hour long Reiki session with Jackie, which put my life on a new course. Going into my session I had a lot of emotional pain that I was unable to let go of, during my session I had an emotional journey with myself and a friend that I had lost just a few years earlier. Jackie made me aware of where I was blocked in my life… where i needed to speak and let go of hardships. It was only when I returned form Jackie's I found a sense of determination for that grief.

I left Jackie's near the end of November, on December 10th I embarked on a journey dedicated to my friends life and presence in the world after his passing. By January I had raised over $10,000 for this charity project http://thislightshines.com and sold candles in 11 countries in an effort to light up the world from pain and loss.

I am not saying goto Jackie's and you will make money… I am saying Jackie's opened my soul and gave me the ability to take my grief and give it purpose. I am sure everyone's experience with Jackie's will be different. My life is still hard, I still have many day to day struggles, but I fundamentally believe that there is a healing energy to this special little place in Jamacia, and I would encourage anyone to explore themselves fully with Jackie.

It was a warm, friendly, beautiful place - and I am often shut-off, nervous and scared person. I will always look to my time there as a place where I pushed a heavy stone from out of my path. I hope that it can do the same for you.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank lucasstoffel
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I've been home for almost 2 days, and I'm still awakening from the Dream that is Jackie's on the Reef. As I was traveling alone for the first time, I was a bit jittery about the trip. I can say now that I have never felt safer or more in the company of caring friends. It was as though I had flown away and nested into a faraway magical land for a week.

As for the daily activities...I was fortunate to experience the singing bowl meditation every morning with Taunya. What begins as a meditation, rises up to become a delightful harmony of tones that are both grounding and otherworldy. Taunya is so well seasoned at playing the bowls, and does so with such deep reverence, I became aware that they are not only her vehicles for creativity, expression, and sharing, but also her trusted companions. I decided to purchase my own beautiful singing bowl, which is now poised to enrich the life of anyone who plays it or who simply listens. Next is Yoga…the instructor, Nicole, is as sweet and kind as she can be, and sensitive to the needs of everyone present.

The 3 treatments I chose; massage, hot stone, and cranio sacral, were among the finest I've had. They were offered by therapists who are strong, centered and sensitive, and they left me with the desire to sample everything on the Spa menu.
The food was prepared by a warm and smiling kitchen staff, and was simple, healthy, and delicious. I especially looked forward to the revitalizing herbal teas and refreshing array of tropical fruits in the morning, as well as the delicious and heart-warming family dinners that each sunset called into being.

On to the Lady of the House…Jackie  What a tremendous gift she is, and what a wonderful legacy she has presented to the world! Some descriptions that come to mind...Down to Earth Goddess, Friend, Comedian, House Mother, not to mention the brains and spirit of this altogether heavenly haven.

What more can I say? Perhaps the finest way to portray my feelings about Jackie's on the Reef, is to tell you that I googled it in the taxi on my way home from the airport in order to see it again, and to figure out when I can book my next trip!

Room Tip: All the rooms are enchanting. If travelling as a couple, the Dome or the Cottage afford more privac...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Cosmicbreeze
Philadelphia
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I looked around the world for a week's stay to be self-full, soulful, and restorative. Based on the majority of Tripadvisor's reviews, a direct short flight, and my budget, I chose Jackie's. I wanted to get away from it all, not use a phone, internet, and just 'be'. I knew that going to Jackie's was unplugging my life from the hustle and bustle, and plugging in to my inner self, but what I didn't know is how I would be expanded and opened to life in a fuller authentic way. As I write this review I am filled with gratitude.

Besides my expectations, what I loved at Jackie's included the morning yoga by Jackie or Nicole, teachings by Jackie, the earthy Morinda morning tea, giving thanks before each meal, getting to know other soulful guests, the plunge pool, the spa treatments, the assortment of books, the feeling of truly being on the mystic's path while on the premises, the being at one with nature in my accommodations (loved watching my little lizzard friend stalk his evening meal while I brushed my teeth), delightful conversations during and after dinner, belly laughter shared with Jackie, Jackie's stories, and the love and care I received from Jackie and her staff.

Jackie is an amazing woman! She is a strong personality, a wise woman, a nurturing soul, and a colorful character. Having time with just her was worth the trip in itself! Somehow my time with her gave me permission to live my life more largely and fully.

I had the bamboo massage with Karin. Both Karin and the massage were restorative and healing. Various sizes of bamboo were heated and used to massage the nooks and crannies of my body, along with Karin's strong hands. I believe the bamboo massage lasted 1 1/2 hours. This massage was definitely in the top three massages I've ever had, and I've had many. Paulette gave me the body scrub which I loved as well. She first put a clay mask on my face and then I spent two minutes in the small sea pool to prepare for the scrub. On the massage table, I was completely naked as Paulette scrubbed my body with an herbal concoction. She then used a large brush of herbs that included Rosemary to brush my body with hot water. My face was massaged, my head, my feet, and each hand too. I felt safe and loved with each woman.

The food was delicious. The drinks were out of this world (most had ginger in them).

Jackie's is a place to let go of the need to control and have a plan in place. At Jackie's you'll get what you need, even if it isn't exactly what you planned for. Jackie's is a place of letting go and trusting. I loved going with the flow and letting go of expectations that weren't necessary for fulfillment.

People who are looking for a spa and hotel that is chichi and run by exact timing to the minute won't find that at Jackie's. People who don't like nature up close and personal, probably won't like Jackie's. People who want to be in the middle of action and have their pulse on nightlife and excursion's may not be suited for Jackie's.

People who want to unplug from the distractions in life, be at one with themselves, others, and the natural world, expand and connect to their center and being, get wonderful spa treatments, and be inspired by a woman who has lived a most exciting and inspirational life, will find what they are looking for at Jackie's.

Tips: You can give tips directly to the people who provide spa treatments. Jackie recommends a 10% tip for staff, at the end of your trip that you divide up into those who served you, but the ultimate rule as she told me, is to follow your heart. She gave me the names of those who served me directly and I allocated the money as I wanted. I gave 20% of my total bill towards tips.

Cash: Bring the cash you need for your balance, your treatments, and tips. There is a bank with an ATM at the south end of 7 mile beach (Scotia bank), and I took a taxi to use it, however taking the taxi back and forth cost $12, and at least an hour or more out of my spiritual retreat and plunged me into a noisy world that I sought refuge from.

$ extras: I took a carry on so I did not pack bug spray or sunscreen, instead buying both in Jamaica on my way to Jackie's. Turns out that both cost me almost $30 when checking my luggage would have cost $25 (USAir). I still preferred that though since I didn't have to wait at baggage claim. And I didn't need the bug spray as there were no mosquitoes or other biting insects during my trip. Guests like me leave their leftover sunscreen and bug spray behind at Jackie's so most likely if you need either of these she'll have some.

Room Tip: I stayed in the cottage and loved my little home in the midst of a tropical paradise.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank lori-on-the-go
Jackies R, Owner at Jackie's on the Reef, responded to this review, 17 May 2016
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

I toured the facility with a group and had such a wonderful time! I even got to meet Miss Jackie, who has the warmest spirit! Overlooking the sea from her open floor provided the most serene experience ever. I will definitely book services when I return to Negril!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My husband and I discovered Negril, Jamaica 10 years ago. We have visited almost yearly and find Negril to be that magical place for both of us to reconnect with one another and ourselves. On this most recent trip, my husband was celebrating his 40th birthday. A good friend of mine had recommended a visit to Jackie's to celebrate. I'm so glad we took her advice... we took a beautiful morning yoga class with Nicole. What an amazing space to practice in! Facing the ocean for much of the class and hearing the sound of the ocean and Nicole's loving guidance were a real treat. We then had oceanside aromatherapy deep tissue massages. The massage therapist were fantastic!! I usually don't prefer deep tissue, however, these therapist were very in tune with the body and applied the perfect amount of pressure. Finished with a wonderful soak in the tub by the ocean. A great place to harmonize the mind and body. We will be returning to Jackie's again and again. Highly recommend a visit to Jackie's!!!! So glad to have discovered this beautiful gem by the sea. Thank you Jackie for making this dream into a real space for all of us to share. With love and gratitude….../julie

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Julie L
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 29 November 2013

My husband of 29 years and me became empty nesters recently and I was also turning 50 during this vacation... I had needs just did not know exactly what they were. I was not sure what to expect at Jackie's nature spa...but felt it was an adventure to be had. We arrived after 6pm (which I recommend to arrive earlier to get acquainted with your surroundings before retrieving to your corner of paradise at Jackie's). If you seek your very own EAT, PRAY, LOVE experience this is where you will find it.

EAT...The meals served were exotic in flavors and textures and prepared from home grown vegetables, fruits, grains and spices by an excellent gourmet chef that gave each dish the perfect touch as expected from any top notch fine dining. I was excited and looked forward to every meal. Since I had a big birthday to celebrate Jackie surprised us with Lobster that needed no butter for flavor! We celebrated with champagne and a special Jamaican cake. It was topped with a sky full of stars and sounds of ocean waves! It was perfect!

PRAY...I am not religious (nor is Jackie, like some posts say), however I am spiritual and found the environment to be conducive for personal reflection. The nature, the serenity, the daily meditations, and the morning yoga was enlightening. And the special coffee served by 'Ranger' tasted holy! The environment is also perfect for group deep conversations or private intimate ones. I met some wonderful people I hope to keep connected with.

LOVE...This is a perfect place to strengthen your relationship, friendship and or Self love... if coming out of a relationship. It is romantic, intimate and friendly. I felt safe and de-stressed. Even found some Kama Sutra books that were interesting (wink wink).

I read a comment about "nakedness be damned"...so true with the massages on the beach! Cannot be shy for the body scrub and wonder if the fishing boats far in the ocean have binoculars! LOL talking about getting the best massage EVER and feeling like you checked off one thing off your bucket list "get naked in public area"! LOL

I have created memories here and it was a perfect place to be as I face my 50's with new energy, gratefulness and inspiration. Thanks Jackie it was a pleasure meeting you and thanks for sharing your paradise with us!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple