“Another great choice of hotels”
Review of CocoLaPalm Resort

CocoLaPalm Resort
Ranked #12 of 80 Hotels in Negril
San Diego, California
“Another great choice of hotels”
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Just returned from another great stay in Negril. Due to our last minute decision to go to Jamaica we had hard time finding rooms available at the regular places i stay. So we went with Coco since i have seen it before just by walking by i knew it was in a nice stretch of beach. We were pleasantly surprised with our room. There were three of us and they upgraded us to a junior suite room 226. Room was very spacious and very clean. We had two queen beds which worked out nice for the three of us. Nice big patio with table, chairs, two loungers and huge bathroom with nice double shower. I would stay here again if my others are not available. Only problem we had is with front gate security personnel. We came home late from night out on town and invited one of our friends up for drinks and they called every minute for an hour straight at 3am. We did not issue a complaint, we just left and went to my friends hotel where it was not a problem for having guests. Other than that, great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jdub1026

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Finnish first
Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This resort couldn't have been better. The room we stayed in (817) had a fridge, coffee maker, two beds (one king and one queen) and a huge bathroom with a shower and two sinks.
The resort has two pools and a hot tub. We only went in the family pool, the other pool is right on the beach. The hot tub is awesome, but it's way too hot! Went in the hot tub about 4 times and I couldn't stay in for more than 5 minutes each time.
There are two restaurants and the main one was really good. The beachside restaurant was more of a lunchtime snack bar. Stay away from the hot dogs-pretty nasty to a hot dog critic like myself. :)
The staff does an incredible job at their work and providing entertainment. We'll definately be back next winter!

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank CheeseheadFred
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We stated at coco for our 1 yr anny. We wanted to try the negril side of the island and we previously stayed in runaway bay before at breezes. We thought it would actually end up being cheaper because of the low cost of staying and heard reviews saying that it wouldn't be that price for food. This wasn't the case though. Jamaica puts about a 17.5% tax on groceries. We went to high lo and ended up spending $80 us on some snacks, juice and a case of beer. It was also a little intimidating at hi lo because prices are in JA currency. We went put to eat a couple nights and you can expect to pay between $12-15 us for a meal even along the beach reatraunts. Beach at coco was the best on 7 mile. Get patties for lunch from the guy on the bike for $1 ech. Veggie was our fav. Staff left a little to be desired for us. I always felt like they were annoyed by us. Nice place for the value but I prefer AIs like breezes. it's less hassle

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank Rasta1R
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I went here twice, once in 2003 when I had a FABULOUS time and then again for my honeymoon in 2010 which wasn't exactly what I was expecting.

When I went in 2003, the hotel was undergoing renovation. But the staff was still great and the beach lovely. I stayed in the "cheap" rooms that do not face the beach and are not in the main hotel area. But because I went "off season" it was quiet and absolutely lovely. It was certainly a good deal for the stay.

When I returned in 2010, the prices had risen, but the new pool and renovated rooms looked great. HOWEVER, there were a lot of "bads". Admittedly, most can't really be blamed on Coco La Palm itself.

I really wanted a beach front view for my honeymoon, and unfortunately the last beach front room they had was over looking the bar. The reservationist warned me (and I thank her for that), but I took the room anyway. BAD IDEA. The noise from the bar was unbearable. I literally didn't sleep for the first 2 nights and went to the reservationist who ever so sweetly put me into the first room available that opened. Although this room wasn't beach front and had 2 twins instead of one king, I FINALLY had some peace and quiet!

Lesson 1: don't get the room overlooking the bar

Lesson 2: Listen to the staff; they are really attentive and are looking out for your best interests!

The rooms are clean, and although the "cheap rooms" are dark, I still think they are a good value. The rooms in the main part of the hotel are much brighter and bigger and offer private verandas and refrigerators but also come with a heftier price tag. They were very pretty but nothing exceedingly luxurious.

In 2003, I went during low season. The beaches were relaxed and the hotel's clientele was fun and adventurous. Mostly Eurpeans (but also some Japanese), a few surfers/beach bums here and there, and some American and Jamaican families. Very cool and very fun. In 2010, we went in February, which is high season. The hotel was absolutely packed, and a large chunk of the clientele was the epitome of "rude Americans"; they were ridiculing Jamaican food (while sticking to hamburgers), Jamaican culture, they were loud and obnoxious, families BLARED loud country music by the pool without concern for anyone else, let their children run amok, and one even refused to have a conversation with me once she realized I was a New Yorker! Her husband actually apologized for her rudeness. Can you believe that? The clientele treated the hotel (as well as the country of Jamaica) as if they were in Disney World. There were some very kind and cool fellow vacationers there too, but barely enough to make up for the awful ones. Obviously this isn't the fault of the hotel, but be wary of high season tourists.

Lesson 3: Go during low season.

The breakfasts at CocoLaPalm were good (considering its free), and the restaurant location and view is PERFECT. However, the true gem is the beach bar. The beach bar there has a small menu of mostly American food but I've never had a bad drink or meal out of the beach bar for lunch! Michelle the bartender worked there both times I went and she was, is, and will always be AMAZING. You can find better breakfasts and dinners up and down the beach, but there will always be a special place in my heart for the Coco La Palm Beach bar/grill.

Lesson 4: There is not a better beach bar for lunch than the one at CocoLaPalm.

The staff is very friendly and helpful. Honestly the service there is quite good on both occasions that I went there. The hotel was clean and the maids were very kind.

I honestly wish I hadn't gone the 2nd time. We had bad weather and bad fellow tourists. But that really isn't Coco La Palm's fault.

Coco La Palm is a great place if you don't like large resorts where you feel closed off from actual Jamaica, but still want resort amenities. Coco La Palm has great security and yet you don't feel cut off from the rest of Jamaica. It is pretty and has nice amenities but isn't "over the top". If I go back to Negril, I will certainly be staying at Coco La Palm. But I just won't go during high season!

Room Tip: Do not pick the room that overlooks the bar! It is awfully noisy!
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Traveling K
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I have stayed here a few times and what always draws me back is the laid back atmosphere. Yes there are nicer hotels on the beach but this place has the nicest guests ever. I always leave with a new set of friends. Happy hour two for one drinks is a must. I have stayed with with and without my family and it's great when I want to party or just have family time. Great staff! The beach is amazing! I always book a Jr suite the rooms are large and spacious enough to spread out and relax. Don't forget to make a stop across the street for the jerk chicken it is addictive! Great location in walking distance to many things. See you at Happy hour!

• Stayed July 2011
4 Thank Xanni25
Winnipeg, Manitoba CA
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We just returned from a 12 day trip to Negril, 7 days were spent at Coco La Palm. We will be booking here again for our next trip. This was our first time in Negril, we were attending my brother's wedding. He and his new wife spend lots of time in Negril and luckily had many family members travel down to celebrate with them. We all stayed at different hotels (Kuyaba, Rui, Yellowbird) and spent time together comparing notes. I'm happy to say that CoCo La Palm fared very well with the comparisons.

- We received a gracious and professional welcome at the front desk. The clerk was friendly and provided all information we might need about our stay.
- The bell hop Chester was also very friendly, explained everything about the room and immediately took our ice chest to be filled.
- Our room (Junior King Suite) was nice and clean with a great roomy balcony overlooking the family pool.
-The room has sink, cupboards, mini fridge, large flat screen tv, excellent AC, two armchairs with ottomans, table and chairs as well as a large bureau and a reasonably comfortable king size bed. Extra pillows are available in the room and the decor is island themed.
- The very large washroom has double sinks set in a large counter top with a mirror that spans the vanity. There is a long bench, luggage rack, additional bureau and plenty of hangers and shelves for clothing. The room safe is in the bureau and allows you to set your own code.
- The double shower is large and clean; we did have an issue with water pressure on our first day, but it was promptly fixed and never had any issues after that.
- The balcony is very roomy; it wraps halfway around the room and has enough space for a nice garden table and three chairs and as well as two beach loungers
- During our entire stay, Beverly, the chambermaid in our section was fabulous; our room was always spotless, supplies refilled etc. Beverly is a credit to the hotel; she is so friendly, we really enjoyed meeting her.
- The grounds of this hotel are beautiful! Everything is very well maintained. At night the lighting is just enough to move down the paths safely, but is not overbright.
- The beach in front of the hotel is fantastic; its groomed by staff and has enough space for all the guests without feeling crowded. As with most beach hotels, you usually have to get a lounger early and put your towel on it, but most often there were chairs still available when we finally strolled down around 11am. Everyone is respectful of space; we never had an issue with someone "taking over" our chairs when we went in the water or to the bar.
- As with everywhere in Negril, the beach is full of vendors. Some people get really annoyed, but we never found it to be a problem; a simple, polite "no thank you" was all it ever took when we weren't interested. With the exception of one person, we found all the vendors to be very friendly and kind. CoCo has excellent security staff that are present on the beach just in case, but we never felt pressured or threatened in any way.
- We only had dinner at the hotel the one night, and it was disappointing, especially for the price. But it was promptly served, and when we expressed our dissatisfaction to our waiter, he was apologetic, and reduced our bill appropriately. Any snacks, breakfast or lunch we had at the restaurant or the beach bar & grill were very good. We tried many different hotel restaurants; Kuyaba was our the best of the bunch. But, our favorite meals were at the Best in the West jerk shack across the street from CoCo, and patties from Mikey's Grocery store right next to that.
- There are a lot of families that stay at this hotel, so you need to be ok with kids running around and sometimes being loud. But we didn't find it to be too much of concern. Overall, the property is very quiet; you won't find loud beach parties here..there are plenty of places for that, we found it nice to be able to visit other places for loud music and then head back to CoCo for peace.
- Many of the staff seemed to have been there a long time, which is usually a good sign of a well run property.
- Make sure to visit to Donovan on the beach in front of the restaurant. He has been stationed there for years selling his carvings and jewellery. If you have kids, he usually has small carvings available for them to paint.

After staying here, we did book another 5 days at a cliff hotel as we wanted to experience both types of hotels. We much preferred the beach, and usually took a cab back every night to have dinner, go snorkeling etc.

We had a fabulous time in Negril, we love the people and the place and plan on coming back again. When we do, CoCo will be the hotel we stay at for sure.

Room Tip: I would definitely get a second floor room. We were really glad we booked further back in the proper...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Chapala, Mexico
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We were in Negril 14 nights and usually ended our evenings at the bar at Coco la Palm.
The main bartender, Vernon, reallly took care of us and made each visit a wonerful experience. We were actually staying somewhere else but always chose to return to Coco la Palm. Vernon even took the time to teach me some of the rules of cricket. He pours a "mean" Black Russian.
Visit Vernon. You will not be dissappointed.

Room Tip: Just commenting on the bartender. Did not stay here.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple