“Oceanfront Villa at Coco LaPalm”
Review of CocoLaPalm Resort

CocoLaPalm Resort
Ranked #12 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Montreal, Canada
“Oceanfront Villa at Coco LaPalm”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Previous reviews from other members were very accurated.Oceanfront rooms don't mean you will be in block on the beach shown on map (4 rooms), 11 oceanfront rooms (ours was very close to restaurant). From what I have seen, this hotel has the best location and is a good choice, very clean. Overcharged for room price but were unable to refund, they gave a credit. We had diner at the restaurant, very good service, food good. Staff at reception: some very friendly, some not at all. Some tips: Bring an opener, our room didn't have one and a reception employee told us to buy one at their store if we want one, OK thank you, for over 300$ a night (said that rooms are supposed to have one fixed at wet bar, not ours)! Souvenirs: Destiny at Seawind Hotel is the place to go (right from hotel), very good prices, awesome service. To buy on the beach, better to pay with Jamaican money unless it will cost you more. Restaurants to go: Ivan's, Ciao and Blue Mahoe. Restaurant to avoid: Chances (right side of the hotel). Better to know the price for the taxi ride, Ivan's : free pick-up but driver tried to charge double price to come back. Ciao and Mahoe taxi drivers were more honest. Prices for the fruits on the beach are very expensive, ask before they cut them (us prices: watermelon 12$, coconut 4$, very small pineapple 5$, tiny banana 1$). If you don't like beach vendors, maybe it is not the place to go. Very good fruits juices from Flex on the beach, very respectful person). Be careful when you choose your airport-hotel transfer. We had a very bad experience when returning at the airport, even if he was recommanded on TA, he didn't picked us but sent one of his driver (maybe he hired a bad taxi driver in his team) I will not repeat my story, I posted it on the forum.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms don't mean you will be in the block on the beach shown on the hotel website map...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LyseMontreal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Finnish first
Hudson, Ohio
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We visited March 8-15th and stayed in a Junior Suite near the pool. The room was amazing. Last year we stayed in a Superior room and this was much nicer. Very large, double sinks, double shower, new flat screen TV and being upstairs is a lot more private. It seemed to me that all the staff were very friendly this year, service at breakfast was faster than I remember and the food at breakfast was good. They just have the best beach and best location for wandering to different restaurants and bars. I can't imagine staying anywhere else on the beach.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Flashknit
houston
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Just returned today and I usually do non-all inclusives, so this was my 3rd trip to CocolaPalm. Didn't realize I'd never written a review on them, so here goes.

I have always booked a Junior Suite at Coco, just like the size and spaciousness of it. I have been in a superior room and its nice too, just smaller than the suite. In the past I can say Coco has always been very clean, the bathrooms nice with the double shower heads. This trip however, I had a problem with ants in my room. They were everywhere on the sink and night stands. I called the front desk about them and they promptly came and sprayed for them which seemed to help. However, a couple of days later they were back, and I could never figure out why they came as I didn't have food left out etc. Perhaps they need to just fumigate room 416, it was a junior suite queen. I will make them aware of this.

One other notable change at the resort is the food in the dining seems to have gone down. While not terrible, it was not as good as I previously remembered on my previous visits.

The biggest concern on this trip was the lack of change in American money. To be non-all inclusive resorts, it was difficult when paying to get your change back in American money. Several places wanted to give you back Jamaican money. I personally cannot keep up with the exchange rates so I ended up giving very generous tips rather than having Jamaican money. The morale to this story it to have lots of small bills, meaning smallers then $20 bills. Like 10s, 5s, and 1s. Will save you world of trouble. I didn't remember this problem from previous visits, but I thought I'd share the sentiment. But you can also charge meals and drinks to your room if dining at Coco or at their bar during your stay.

But the staff at Coco is wonderful, has always been the same staff throughout the past 3 years I have been going there. Although the grounds are well maintained and the rooms clean, Coco really needs to think about updating the rooms to make them less plain. Especially with the new luxury resort hotel opening next door to them.

Lastly, the drinks at the beach bar were not that great. Sun Beach 2 doors down had great drinks at its beach bar and it was more of an upbeat part atmosphere. But I keep a small bottle of rum and soda in my room for personal uses.

If you plan to eat up and down 7 mile beach, think $15 or so for breakfast, around $20 for lunch with an alcoholic drink and tip, between $30-40 for dinner with an alcoholic drink. I was there for 5 days and didnt even spend $500 on meals and drinks.

Really depends on where you're planning to eat. If you're gonna eat large extravagant dinners like Rockhouse, it will be more. But there are great places to eat, especially recommend Idle Awhile for dinner and sun beach for lunch. Sun Beach also had great Rum punch.

I've been to Negril 6x, love the place. If you have any other questions about this or any other places check out my other reviews or send me a message.

Happy travels!

Room Tip: Go for the Junior suites, bigger rooms, huge bathrooms, and flat screen TVs.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Pvnurse06
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We celebrated our 25th Anniversary in Negril, half the time at an AI and half at CocoLaPalm. We booked through Onestop Negril and everything was perfect, We had the perfect room, Jr. Suite with a great view. There were a few guest complaining about the rooms they ended up with as some of the online travel/booking sites did not work as they thought. I will definatlely use Onestop again as we didnt have any of those issues, Our room was perfect. Thanks Derek from Onestop, hope to be contacting you again soon to book our next trip. Besides our perfect room, the resort is really nice,. We really liked it, better than the AI that we spent 3 times the amount per night. The grounds and pool are so nice, The beach was big, lots of loungers, lots of shade, food was good and the bar was fun. Big shout out to Donovan (bartender) he is the sweetest, has the nicest smile and is a great bartender. Can't wait to go back to Negril and will definately stay hear again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shayf_12
North Long Branch, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 15 March 2012

CCLP is truly the ultimate in relaxation. Every time I come here its like coming home. Staff is phenomenal. Rooms are clean & comfortable. Everyone & everything is the BEST. No complaints ever. Am returning this Sunday. Have never had a problem during any of my stay (which are too numerous to list)!

Room Tip: Not going to tell because then it won't be available for me! Rooms facing the main pool tend to...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Rock Rapids, IA
Reviewed 14 March 2012

We just returned from Jamaica and our stay at the CoCo La Palm was great. The beach is awesome and Gibson the security guard was great at keeping us free from getting hasseled. We loved our room. We stayed in Junior Suite with a king bed and had a great view of the beach. We had a great breakfast everyday and enjoyed the patty man, fruit lady and of course the ice cream man. Our rooms was kept very clean and all the help worked hard at keeping us all happy. The only con I would have to say was the bartender could be a little more friendly. Vernon was not always very happy to see people. Anyway we didn't let it bother us. We had a great relaxing time!! It will be our new place to stay! Can't wait to return next year.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Lake Park, Minnesota
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We returned to Coco LaPalm this year for another week in paradise! Although we didn't get the room we would have liked it was still fantastic! The resort is small enough that no matter which room you get you are only a minute or two walk from the beach. All the staff was wonderful and accommodating. We were even given a discount for returning there this year--that amounted to around $30-40/night discount. We were pleasantly surprised. It was nice returning to a familiar place (like going home) as we knew which restaurants/bars to visit again. We found many of the friends/staff that we met last year so that was fun too. The beach security is awesome to have also. Every morning our security guards would set up the beach chairs and put towels on them for us. They pretty much know who sits where and will reserve just the right number of chairs that your group will need. I could go on and on about Coco and Negril so I will make this easy for you--just go and try it--you won't be disappointed! The next 11 months until our return will be too long!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple