“Still a pretty solid resort - don't stay in a standard room though”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of CocoLaPalm Resort

CocoLaPalm Resort
Ranked #13 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Brooklyn, New York
“Still a pretty solid resort - don't stay in a standard room though”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

This was our second time at Coco La Palm and for thr most partit didn't disappoint.. My main gripe is that when we trying to book the stay on the website, it showed there were standard rooms available. However when I called to inquire, I was told that they only had a standard room available for the first 3 night and after that, there were only deluxe and above and we would have to switch rooms. But it wasn't a deal breaker especially since the said she upgrade us for free and we wouldn't have to pay anything additional. Anyways, so we get there.. And when they say standard room, I mean boy is it standard!! Old furniture, needed a new paint job, old janky half rusted safe, tiny bathroom, flukey air conditioner, no ceiling fan... On top of that, ANTS!! I mean, it sounds worse than it was.. It wasn't that big of a deal, it served our purposes plus had a nice little porch and table outside.... That is, until we switched to our new room! I mean, it was like night and day.. Beautifully furnished, new air conditioner, new(er) TV, new safe, ceiling fan, fresh paint job, MUCH bigger bathroom w/ storage space, etc etc.. I just thought it was kinda messed up that they would have that much of a difference between standard and deluxe..

But outside of that fiasco.. I still like the resort, the people are friendly, food and drinks are good and reasonably priced, the beach in front is very nice.. I just wish they would step their game up. 1) They need to have beach service. It sucks always having to go the the bar and come back w your food/drink 2) They should put some speakers so you can hear the music on the beach, not just at the bar/restaurant 3) the one night they were having some sort of 'staff talent show' before a music act.. WTF? Staff talent show?? I felt like I was at some corny all inclusive resort in Ocean City, MD.. I just feel like they need to strive for a more upscale atmosphere to match their prices as this resort is not exactly cheap.. The whole vibe just seems a little stale, they need to spice it up, do something.. There are other places on the beach that have a much hipper, saucier-kind of vibe.. I understand they may be trying to cater to a more mature crowd but it shouldnt be like staying at a retirement home either.. Sorry AARP

4 Thank BKSweetheart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Finnish first
Peabody
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

We just returned from a week at this resort. We used Negril One Stop as our booking agent and I could not be more pleased with our selections...You will not find a better location on Long Bay on Seven Mile beach. We found the beach vendors to be very aggressive this year, however the security officers did a great job moving the unwanted vendors along! We were a bit disappointed in the nightlife in the area thinking it was still the on-season with on-season rates, but this was not the case. We had a deluxe room which was a 10 second walk to the beach near the pool. As stated in other posts, the room was a bit dated, but very clean and comfortable and the housekeeper did an outstanding job and went out of her way to make our stay comfortable. The pool noise during the day could be very loud with some loud families, but we were at the room very little if any during the day except to shower, change and make a drink. One family sent their kids out at 6:30am a couple of days and with the slatted windows whether opened or closed it was like they were in your room yelling and splashing in the pool. Not the kids fault, but the ignorant parents. It would be like me going to the pool at 1am splashing and yelling while their children tried to sleep at those hours. 6:30am was very rude and inconsiderate of others, we stay up later in the night and would like to sleep until at least 8am which is not too much to ask. The day before we left the family who takes over the entire resort arrived inlcluding at least five couples with kids who were as loud as the parents. Whether the pool or beach everybody was aware of their presence, however this has nothing to do with Coco except that the openess of the rooms contributes to you being aware of every second of this type of family. They do not even know that they are like this or most likely they do not care. I was pleased with my selection of weeks as they arrived the day before I left! Again, not Coco's fault.

I would have given this resort a five star but the room didn't rate as such and as previously noted, some of the service workers especially the bartender Vernon was less then welcoming. In fact, he made us stay away from the bar at Coco and go to some of the neighboring bars; I am suprised that Coco keeps him employed. Most other staff were good except for the beach/towel person who also made you feel like you were bothering him and one of the two female security officers at the gate in the day who was just miserable. We rented a scooter for five days and one of the two female security officers made you not want to bother her, the other was very nice and always smiling as you left and returned!

The beach area at Coco is amazing and the breakfasts more than adequate. There are too many positives to list them all so as you can see from my rating, even with the above issues we had a great time and we will return! The best thing I can say is location, location, location. By far the best resort beach on the entire stretch with a great pool, large hot tub for at least twenty very comfortably, immaculate groomed grounds and a feeling of safety!

Room Tip: Depending what you want, a room off the pool might be better to avoid the noise from the pool. You...
chester, connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Just got back last night from Negril and another great stay at CocoLaPalm. This is the third time in two years that we enjoyed out stay. The rooms are nice, simple, and clean. Had no problems with hot water or a/c. The staff is friendly and helpful. None of the rooms are more than a few steps to the beach. The breakfast at the hotel is good, simple, and cheap. It is so nice to just stumble out of your room to the beautiful seven mile beach. Good fresh fruits and vegetables from beach vendors. You can also buy fresh from the farm juice in bottles, banana bread, and listen to strolling musicians. The water is clean, and there are two indoor pools on the property.
There are enough more expensive rooms in the area, but I would rather see the real Jamaica and have more money to spend in the bars and on wood carvings.
We adopted several cats that would greet us at our room at night for dinner, then in the AM for breakfast. One of the things I love about the CocoLaPalm, and Negril in general, is being able to walk around barefoot in shorts, and being able to walk into a restaurant or bar for some good conversation and rum drinks.There is great jerk chicken all around. There is a little market called Mickey's across the street is you need little items like cigarettes, drinks, beer, etc. I found all of the current bar staff to be pleasant and helpful at the hotel...again. The front desk was also friendly and helpful. Of course I have a crush on the daytime female security guard at the front gate. I asked her if she wanted to go to the beach with us...she got mad because she wanted to come but couldn't. Always a big nice smile.
What else is there to say? You can do so many things from the hotel. River and ocean boating is there, tours are available. We rather take a cab and have out private driver spend time with us. There is also a wood carver (Donovan?) at the hotel with some nice things. The office will help you ship anything you buy with ease.
Need to get away from all the stress??? No need to look any further. Ya Mon...Respect!

Room Tip: We stayed in 411 and 414. More private in 414, bigger room in 411. But all the rooms are so close to...
2 Thank SeniorDaddy
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Coco has one of the best beach areas for lounging and sunning on the 7-mile. Anyone who has been to Negril knows that there are beach sellers with wares constantly walking the stretch, but Gibson was always on top of them so that no one on the beach was bothered if they didn't want the beach vendor's wares. We paid extra to have a particular room that we had stayed in before. Although I still thought the per-night cost was high for a loyal, returning visitor, I was not sorry to spend the extra money to make sure I had that same room again. I also wasn't informed that by calling in to the hotel to make my reservation breakfast was not included in the rate. That was bad on my part for not checking since it had been included the last time I stayed there. Just be sure of what you are getting and at what price. We had ants in around the sink a couple of times - not a big deal to us. The room was cleaned well every day, including the front patio area. The front desk staff was always helpful and friendly. The grounds are extremely well-maintained and beautifully landscaped. They could have picked up a few of the Red Stripe beer bottles a little earlier in the morning when I got up, but, then again, what Jerks leave their beer bottles sitting in the walkways or on the beach? TOURISTS with no respect.

Room Tip: Families would love the Coco Suite facing the ocean with it's large patio and table for games of...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a second time, and were not disappointed. The staff is more than helpful, the rooms were always neat and clean, and the food was great. We plan to go back for another two weeks next feb.

Room Tip: As with any resort on Norman Manley drive, pick rooms away from the road.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Glenn R
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Previous reviews from other members were very accurated.Oceanfront rooms don't mean you will be in block on the beach shown on map (4 rooms), 11 oceanfront rooms (ours was very close to restaurant). From what I have seen, this hotel has the best location and is a good choice, very clean. Overcharged for room price but were unable to refund, they gave a credit. We had diner at the restaurant, very good service, food good. Staff at reception: some very friendly, some not at all. Some tips: Bring an opener, our room didn't have one and a reception employee told us to buy one at their store if we want one, OK thank you, for over 300$ a night (said that rooms are supposed to have one fixed at wet bar, not ours)! Souvenirs: Destiny at Seawind Hotel is the place to go (right from hotel), very good prices, awesome service. To buy on the beach, better to pay with Jamaican money unless it will cost you more. Restaurants to go: Ivan's, Ciao and Blue Mahoe. Restaurant to avoid: Chances (right side of the hotel). Better to know the price for the taxi ride, Ivan's : free pick-up but driver tried to charge double price to come back. Ciao and Mahoe taxi drivers were more honest. Prices for the fruits on the beach are very expensive, ask before they cut them (us prices: watermelon 12$, coconut 4$, very small pineapple 5$, tiny banana 1$). If you don't like beach vendors, maybe it is not the place to go. Very good fruits juices from Flex on the beach, very respectful person). Be careful when you choose your airport-hotel transfer. We had a very bad experience when returning at the airport, even if he was recommanded on TA, he didn't picked us but sent one of his driver (maybe he hired a bad taxi driver in his team) I will not repeat my story, I posted it on the forum.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms don't mean you will be in the block on the beach shown on the hotel website map...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LyseMontreal
Hudson, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

We visited March 8-15th and stayed in a Junior Suite near the pool. The room was amazing. Last year we stayed in a Superior room and this was much nicer. Very large, double sinks, double shower, new flat screen TV and being upstairs is a lot more private. It seemed to me that all the staff were very friendly this year, service at breakfast was faster than I remember and the food at breakfast was good. They just have the best beach and best location for wandering to different restaurants and bars. I can't imagine staying anywhere else on the beach.

2 Thank Flashknit