“Wonderful spot on the 7-mile beach”
Review of CocoLaPalm Resort

CocoLaPalm Resort
Ranked #11 of 80 Hotels in Negril
A TripAdvisor Member
“Wonderful spot on the 7-mile beach”
Reviewed 21 March 2005

I just returned from 4 wonderful days at CocoLaPalm in Negril. I go to Jamaica just about every year, but it was my boyfriend's first visit, and I wanted to show him why I love the island. I had only been to Negril once as a teenager, and CocoLaPalm came highly recommended. I read with apprehension the TripAdvisor reviews about the rooms in the 800s, since that is where I was booked a standard room. But we loved it. Our trip fell during the typical spring break period, and I was pleased to see that the hotel was not overrun by drunken spring breakers. We went directly across the street to the jerk pit for some tender juicy chicken, and also got the hook up to a good driver for a day. He took us up into the country, to the falls, into Sav-La-Mar to buy fresh fruit at the market, and to see the REAL Jamaica. CocoLaPalm's restaurant was a little pricey, but had nice service and ambience. The beach was also nice. If you go to Negril wanting to actually see parts of the island, mingle with people who actually live there and not just other tourists, I definitely recommend CocoLaPalm. If you would rather stay sequestered in your hotel compound, stick to the all-inclusives. This place was clean and charming, definitely worth the price.

• Stayed March 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Finnish first
Minnesota
Reviewed 18 March 2005

Just got back from a 9 day trip to Negril, Jamaica. Weather was nice, mid 80's. We stayed at Coco LaPalm right on 7 mile beach. Without being bias I must say we had the best part of 7 mile beach, nice and clean. The hotel had to be the most clean on the beach. Tons of workers keeping the grounds perfect. The beach staff is the best, will carry your chair out to the spot you pick on the beach, get you a towel, drink or food. They do a pretty good job at keeping all the 'salesmen' away from you. Be aware that you will get offered anything from fresh squeezed orange juice in the morning to any drug you choose anytime you are on the beach. The best restaurant we ate at (3 times) was the Beachcomber, right next door to Margaritaville. They have the best Alfredo, it puts the Olive Garden to shame. When you are looking for places to eat, don't be shocked when you see most of the resturants aren't busy, apparently that's the norm. Margarittaville is way to expensive for food or drinks. Ronadal has pretty good food also.

At night the beach is safe to walk, there's enough people walking around, plus all the police or hotel security guards to make you feel safe.
Would we go back...probably not, the beach was crowded and a majority of the days the water was to wavey to even attempt to snorkel or jetski. For those that this will be your first trip, we suggest you stay at Coco LaPalm, best hotel there.

7 Thank spare
Reviewed 3 March 2005

Was there Dec 30, 2004-Jan 9, 2005. To staff will not bother you much. Beach area is nice. Hotel is very clean and staff are really nice. Housekeeping staff very nice. The rate per night is too much though. Especially since its not an all inclusive. The food is good but a little expensive. But over all, I will return to this hotel, if I get a good deal.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St.Louis
Reviewed 25 February 2005

The rooms in the old section that are rated standard avoid at all cost. You are basically down an alley with no view. These rooms should be used for storage, not guests! At night they turned off our outside light, so coming home trying to get the key in the lock was ridiculous. I wondered if they were more worried about their electric bill rather than guest safety or comfort. If you are not from Minnesota you are treated like an outsider. The management at CCLP thinks they are going to rid Negril of ganja smoking. My advice to them is if it bothers you that much you should have picked another island to run a hotel on. This resort could be really nice, but as stated above the management has a real uptight problem. Lighten UP!

6 Thank Goat
New York
Reviewed 23 February 2005

Just returned from 6 wonderful nights at Coco Lapalm. This was our 4th visit to Negril (there is no place in the world more relaxing and beautiful) and our first time at CocolaPalm. We found the hotel to be almost perfect - well priced, great location on the 7 mile beach (quieter and less crowded then closer to town, but a short walk), plenty of comfy lounge chairs and helpful beach staff. The rooms are all decorated similiarly - comfortable beds, caribbean decor, very clean) the fridge and coffee makers are good to have and the grounds are well maintained (the whole place is, some other hotels are not). Barely bothered by venders selling on the beach, people make too much of this - just say no thank you! Our package came with continental breakfast which you could "trade in" towards a full cooked breakfast. We ate only one dinner at the hotel - just OK, a bit pricy. Many better and less expensive resturents a short walk away. Try the Pasta a Charlota next door. Beach was great -plenty of shade if you needed it. Two very nice pools, barely used as the beach is calling! Large Hot tub, also not used much. Staff were warm, friendly and helpful. Our first night was not so great though, avoid rooms in the low (below 822) 800's - near road and are noisy. We arranged to be moved the next day. Take the hotel's glass botom boat out snorkeling - beautiful reefs. Walk the beach to town and you will see the difference between Coco Laplam and other more crowded and less well-maintained hotels. This is what you want in Negril - beach, romantic, safe, great staff.

9 Thank northforker
Reviewed 25 January 2005

We stayed at Coco La Palm June 5 - June 12, 04. The condition of the resort was nice. Our room was large enough and had a big bathroom. The housekeeping staff did an excellent job and were friendly. The grounds were beautifully landscaped with lush tropical plants and the pool areas were keep up well. The beach was clean and beautiful, but small. The short comings of this resort - some (not all) of the staff treated us as though we were a bother, lacking any warmth or friendliness- this was mostly the front desk staff and bar/ restuarant staff. I would like to specify that the staff of the 'beach side grill' and the housekeepers very friendly and welcoming. Also there were no activities or night life at all! There was mention of a Monday night party with live entertainment - nothing like that when we were there. This may not seem like a big deal, but it was to some degree because to leave the resort is to welcome much attention from venders. Even a simple stroll down the beach will be accompanied by many sellers approaching and they don't always respect a polite, "no thank you". We felt very hassled by this and it made going out to shop, eat, etc. a turn-off to us. On a positive note - there were people not affiliated with the resort, offering activities on the beach nearby. We enjoyed many water activities this way. Also, something to consider - twice during water activities - we saw boats from popular AI resorts that were jammed full - I mean uncomfortably full. So it didn't look like some of the AI resorts are all they are made up to be. Overall, I would consider going back to Coco La Palm for a vacation, but not for a full week (4 days would be plenty) and I would try to go at high season so it would hopefully be more lively. ***PS- another review mentioned that there were a lot of cats in the restaurant area - it's true but I found it to be no bother - they just sat under our table and weren't noisy or anything.

• Stayed June 2004
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed 25 January 2005

I was a victim of overbooking. I purchased my vacation through Air Jamicia back in August and 20 days before I was to leave for Christmas Holiday I received a call from Air Jamicia saying that the hotel over sold and they had to cancel my reservation. The cancellation was so short notice that I couldn't go anywhere.

5 Thank Hazelnutz