“Amazing vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Bloomington, MN
“Amazing vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

I loved this resort. The rooms were simple, but great. The food was really good at the restaurant at the resort. The location was excellent. If you didn't want to eat at the resort, you could walk down to a lot of different restaurants. It was the off season, so food was a little slow, but once we realized that it was fine. Don't go to a restaurant when you're starving; the wait could be over an hour at some places. The staff was super friendly and helpful. This is a great resort if you want to sit on the beach all day and relax. I would absolutely go back!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Finnish first
Cape Cod, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2011

This was my first time at CCLP and it probably won't be my last. Everything was wonderful from the staff to the location on the beach. We used our breakfast vouchers every morning. Breakfast was delicious. We ate dinner at CCLP a few times. I thoroughly enjoyed the seafood in coconut milk. All of the staff was so friendly and I felt like I had been coming there for years. The nightly entertainment was so much fun. I laughed quite a lot. I would have to say my favorite part of CCLP was the beach. It was relaxing and spacious. I really took advantage of the floats they offered. Security was very good about keeping the hagglers away. Due to a snow storm in the northeast we decided to stay an extra night in Negril and the staff was very helpful in helping us to arrange another night there. I was sad to leave Coco. They did make my vacation a great one.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank chaqueeta
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2010

This was our second stay at Coco la Palm. Our first stay at “Coco” was in April 2010 after a stay at Beaches in January 2010. Mom, Dad and seven year old daughter arrived October 27 to take advantage of the special “Halloween Rates” that where in effect until November 1 as well as some very favorable airfares on Westjet.

Once again Coco La Palm more than exceeded our expectations. Situated in the middle of Seven Mile beach, you have the freedom for long beach walks towards the town of Negril or towards the big resorts and the deserted public beach area.

Our Junior Suite provided more than enough space, with a huge walk-in shower, plenty of clothes storage space, comfortable king bed, in room safe, free wireless internet, air conditioning, ceiling fan, wet bar with mini fridge and a large outdoor balcony.

Both the Seaside Restaurant and the Beach Bar and Grill served great food. We ate breakfast every day at the Seaside Restaurant and lunched mostly at the Beach Bar and Grill. The Chef’s Salad is delicious. We would wander out for dinner to many of the local eateries on the beach.

We hired a cab on our second day to purchase provisions at the Hi-Lo Grocery Store in Negril. Transportation $10; Red Stripe Beer, local papayas, bananas, mangos, avocados, Appleton Rum and Ting; priceless.

The resort was holding its annual Halloween Party and it was a blast. For three days, we started with the morning Trivia contest. Each day we competed in either, ocean volleyball, beer chugging, ( Red Stripe of course ) patty eating, tug of war, Jamaican dance off, sand castle building, Bocce Nut tournament ( Coconut throwing at a target in the sand ), Water Balloon toss, scavenger hunt and of course the daily Happy Hour.

The Competition culminated in the awards ceremony, points for participation and points for winning an event, and a dinner and show put on by the staff. The show was great and it was put on exclusively by the staff. There were no hired outside contractors, only employees who truly cared about our Jamaican Experience at this resort. This caring was consistent with our first experience back in April.

Thanks to everyone; Carlene, Sheri Anne, Opal, Richard, Chester, Michelle, Steve, Barb (Sand Castle Queen) and of course “Cave Man” John as well as all the others who made our stay so unforgettable.

If you want to take a little Jamaica home, visit Donovan. He carves exceptional pieces of wood art just out side the Beach Bar Grill at Coco La Palm. Watching him turn a piece of wood into beautiful objects is an experience not to be missed. If you have something in mind he will custom carve it for you.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Antony A
Montclair, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2010

This is my 2nd trip to Negril. After reading reviews decided to go because of the partying claimed in earlier reviews. Stayed for 4 nights. Saw NO partying. had to go off grounds for that and there was a different place happening each night. Last night was a Friday beach party night cancelled due to rain.
Clean rooms. Good Air conditioning. Staff great and friendly. Breakfast good. Wore water shoes because of the hookworm reviews. One night left door open for 3 min to step outside for something. Came back in and something black jetted from under bed. It was a kitten. Not too happy about that, but didn't kill us.

Resort seemed very quiet and a lot of elderly couples. Nice poolside to hang out. Big ups to Charlton who kept us entertained. Also nice relaxing Jacuzzi. Also Leon who made sure anything that needed fixing was fixed. There was another handsome young man that seemed to have many jobs including Bell Hop who was also very helpful.

When leaving at night, security took inventory, asking room numbers. I suppose it was to make sure we come back. Doubt if they would really send a search party...hahaha.

Very nice room cleaning lady.

As far as peddlers..seemed no different than any other sales person trying to sell their wares. I am from the states and have been into sales. I would have been pushier. What do people expect when someone has goods for sale. Not one person on the beach offered us drugs and we ranged from young to young at heart.

Used a cab driver named Romaine..very accomodating and reasonably priced.

Would stay at Coco again. I stayed at the cliffside in the past and may do that again instead should I go again.

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank PMagic
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2010

I had a good time and the resort is nice and scenic . I enjoyed my stay and I might even go back but I need to say it my 23 year old son got hookworm like another reviewer did. It's treatable and not the end of the world but ICK!

• Stayed November 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank alljsmom
STL, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

I was invited by a friend to come to Coco. I was reluctant at first, I've never stayed at any resort or hotel less than a four star class rating due to personal preferences. But after the first day, I fell in love with CoCo and Negril in general. SO glad I went. Negril is not what you would consider a "tourist" spot like Montego Bay or Ocho Rios. It was lightly populated with tourists and the tourists that were there are ALL known by NAME basis, including my friend I traveled with. That is a good thing because Coco is family owned as well. So when they know you, you know them as well :) They love to know if it's your first time, not for money purposes but to get to know you on a more personal basis. The staff was helpful, and it felt like home after my first night. The beach is absolutely stunning and the security guards take their jobs SERIOUSLY. My friends and I even sat down and talked to one of the security guards who explained some interesting things about Jamaica in general. So I say go to Negril and stay at Coco if you want to experience Jamaica without the crowd, without the Americanized feel, and if you want to really relax and enjoy yourself. :) Will be back soooon!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
4 Thank IFLYHIGH89
saskatchewan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2010

We just knew we didn't want to do all-inclusive on this trip. Coco La Palm was a pleasant surprise - even better than expected.

First off, highly recommend Kingsley with Kingsley's Take Care Tours for the transfer from the airport. Super nice guy, stops in a local bar where he buys you a beer and you can use the facilities if you need.http://kingsleystakecaretours.com/ 50 USD for your private shuttle.

We stayed in a Deluxe Room, small but had a fridge and coffee maker. Bed was pretty comfortable, on the soft side. Smaller TV (you pay a 25 USD depost for the remote), shower was decent (no tub). Small in-wall AC unit but it did the trick. We were visited by a family (or 2) of cats, which we liked. If you're not into that, just don't feed them and they'll find others to visit. Visited Jr. Suite rooms, much larger and we considered an upgrade but didn't as we were rarely in the room. Booked Standard rooms but these were being reno'd so we got the slight upgrade.

Beach is great here - many higglers selling everything from patties to fruits to cigs to well - you name it! Some can be persistent but we really had no issues and most of them were really cool people. White sand, calm turquoise waters, plenty of loungers. What more could you want? Beach bar is open during the day. Drinks a little pricey but just go literally 10 steps to the North to buy at For Real bar instead. Maybe the best security of anywhere along that stretch of beach also.

Get some free drinks at their Welcome Party Monday evenings (1 hr long with a band), there is also a beach party with a reggae band on Friday nights. Nothing too crazy but a good way to start the evening.

Location excellent - about half way up the 7 mile Beach. We walked into town but also took cabs if we wanted to run into town for a flat of Red Stripe or to hit the ATM. You can also buy beer across the street at Mikey's Grocery but it's a little more expensive. Bars everywhere along the beach - something for every taste and age demo, really. Had an excellent time at Roots Bamboo for the King Yellowman show.

Ate breakfast here daily as we got coupons for continental breakfast - you could then use these as $6.50 value toward an upgrade to omelettes, banana pancakes, etc. Other than that, we ate mostly jerk chicken from either Best in the West across the street or from the late night stands (of which many are set up). Also headed to the cliffs for dinner and I think we paid 15 USD round trip.

Pools are there and looked nice but honestly, we are ocean people so I didn't even use them.

We are already talking about our next trip to Coco La Palm. That's my recommendation right there.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple