“Exceeded my expectations!”
Review of Tensing Pen Resort

Tensing Pen Resort
Ranked #4 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 26 May 2012

A sort of second honeymoon you could say! We chose carfeully and were rewarded with an amazing stay. The staff were always helpful and busy keeping things running although you never saw them much meaning that it was a very exclusive stay with little in the way of interruption. Breaktaking veiws, charming accommodation and hot sunny days. The ocean was perfect for swimming and the resort location, small and private was an ideal escape. We've since had two children but we will be back with them once they're older.

Room Tip: We travelled in February 2006
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank diamondsonthesea

Reviewed 25 May 2012

My husband, my two little ones (under 4) and I stayed at this resort for 4 nights, and I have to say that at first we were hesitant to stay there because of the cliffs, but we have not regrets whatsoever. We stayed at the Seagrape 1 and it was a great cottage for the four of us. It actually work even better because there was less risk for the kids to be closer to the cliff or to the little bridge you can jump off.

The place is a little hidden paradise with wonderful food and wonderful staff. Everyone there (from the cleaning lady to the manager) made sure that we were comfortable and had what we needed.

We really enjoyed our stay there and we were sad to leave but we were going to the beach for the rest of our days in Jamaica, so we knew that we were glad we got to experience the cliffs side, which by the way is a lot more quieter than the beach side.

I hope you give it a try, you will not regret it.

Room Tip: Seagrape 1 has AC and great ocean view even though it doesn't say it on their website. It is a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Seriously, this is it. I honestly can not imaging a more serene and comfortable place, that is the mentality of this place, if you want to party GO AWAY. The food is incredible, the staff is genuine and polite, the atmosphere is the perfect amount of laid-back. Quite honestly it annoys me knowing that other locations are rated better than Tensing. Most other locations on the rock cliffs are more compact and don't give hardly any sense of peace and quiet. As far as the Rock House, Catcha Falling Star, and the Caves are concerned I have researched and spoke with locals and fellow travelers, we all conclude that it doesn't get any better. The Rock House is "not what it used to be" and is "overcrowded". Catcha Falling Star's goals seem to be jam as many people as we can into this place. The Caves are simply over priced and "exclusive", realistically unless you drink a fifth a night you are spending 400 per day to have access to a few caves.

Enough bashing, we had a wonderful time and met some great people. The lights are out at 10 as well as the bar and the restaurant. Keep in mind that the sun rises at 5am and sets at 6pm, so 10pm feels like midnight to me. The cliffs can not be described, it just not possible. The rainy season does exist no matter what anyone tells you. It rains for 30 - 60 minutes for 5 out of 7 days, usually around 3 o'clock. However, the rain is a wonderful thing it usually kills the temperature right before settling into night time. And a few days I just snorkeled of the cliffs while it was raining, can't get any more wet, right?

Throughout the days you see the Beaches and Sandals resort's catamarans sailing by. A few of the days I thought that it would have been nice to get out on one, but all in all this is the first time I was fully capable of unwinding on a vacation, I didn't need the adventure. However if one is so inclined to seek adventure the staff will find it for you no questions asked.

Rick's Cafe is literally 3 doors down, we walked the streets down in the middle of the afternoon and were hustled by the locals. To me this is just part of being in this country and many other Caribbean countries. We took a cab back from the cafe, it is just easier (or cheaper) than walking. That is my only complaint with the whole trip and it was off site.

Room Tip: The Rock Cottage 2 is the best. The "Cove" is the most interesting and the view from the...
Reviewed 24 May 2012

My husband and I were just married at Tensing Pen last week!! It was the most incredible experience I have had on a vacation. This was our first trip to Jamaica and I think we did a good job on researching where to go for our wedding/honeymoon....because we couldn't have asked for a better resort/memorable experience!!! Upon arrival we were amazed at how beautiful the grounds were. You definitely can tell they put a lot of time and effort into the grounds/landscaping!! It's the land of hummingbirds and butterflies!! :) They are surrounding you all day :) After checking in we were greeted by Palmer who took our bags to our cottage :) We stayed in the Rock Cottage II which we felt was PERFECT!! It had AC which was nice and a large closet/changing room to keep our wedding attire in. This Rock Cottage II is also right next to the Seasong Hut which worked out nicely since that is where the wedding ceremony was at. So, I was able to get ready and stay in the AC before walking down the aisle :) What I also loved about the Rock Cottage II is it seemed more private. We had our own private snorkel cove and umbrella and chairs on the cliff right in front of the Rock Cottage II. I say private because it seemed like every time we wanted to sit down on the cliff and/or snorkel in the spot in front of Rock Cottage II no one else was down there. A great thing about this resort --- it only has around 45 guests at a time so its very quiet and honestly doesn't even feel like there are 45 people - feels more like only 20!! If you are looking for a quiet, chill place to stay in Jamaica without that big resort feel - this is the PLACE!!!

I also have to mention the staff. They were SO kind and friendly :) The wedding coordinator at Tensing Pen, Shanique, was amazing!! She was so on top of things during the wedding planning process and just a JOY to work with. Also want to mention that we had http://dnaimagesandvideos.com do our wedding photos. Andrew Vassell was our photographer and he was SO FUN to work with and took amazing photos of our special day!!!! Our wedding was so magical and we definitely plan on future anniversary trips to Tensing Pen!!! Also, another Tensing Pen employee, Mike (also known as Mikey or Awesome Mike ;) took my husband and a couple other guys staying at the resort fishing out on the cliffs. That was really cool of him to do!!! Gave some pointers and explained what all the fish were that he caught. Malcolm was the main bartender working most the time we were there. He was very quiet and to himself at first but once you get to talking with him he is another kind, fun-lovin staff member and he makes some mean (tasty) drinks!!! ;)

On our last night the Rock Cottage II was already taken when we had booked. So we stayed in the Pine Pillar Suite - WOW!! This was COOL!! It's the largest Pillar and it was just so cool!!! Like I mentioned before - the Rock Cottage II was perfect with the wedding and everything.....but if you are an outdoorsy person and prefer the "treehouse" feel....this is THE ROOM!!! It was very different than the Rock Cottage II - both have amazing things about them. It was fun to stay in the Pine Pillar for our last night to give us a feel for another room in case we want something different next time we visit. Here's a tip: The bugs weren't TOO bad....I'm used to mosquito's as I live on a Lake at home....but there was a night or two they were worse than other nights. Buy one of the mosquito candles they have in the Tensing Pen Gift Shop. We did and not only did it smell really good but it did help with the mosquito's when sitting out on the porch/balcony :)

Forgot to mention ....the food! It was amazing!!! Small menu but very fresh and tasty!!! And they will basically make you whatever you want! I especially liked breakfast ;) The fresh fruit was so yummy!! The Papaya just melted in your mouth :) Omelets were very good and they have fresh baked bread for toast ;) A lot of people we met at Tensing Pen told us to venture out and try other restaurants across the street/down the road, etc. I'm sure we will next time but we honestly loved the food at Tensing and only ventured out for lunch one day and to go check out Ricks Cafe :) We had our wedding dinner in the Hammock Hut :) It was all fancied up for us with lanterns and twinkle lights :) I had the Nutty Grouper which was SOOO GOOD! And my husband had the shrimp kabobs (lobster wasn't in season, boo!). The fresh steamed veggies served with the meals were SO TASTY as well!!! Desserts were amazing too!! The Pineapple upside down cake was my FAV!!

We had a couples massage the day of our wedding which was unbelievable!!! The massage hut is situated on the cliffs so you can feel that breeze roll over your muscles which makes the massage even more relaxing!!! I've had a lot of massages in my life but this one was by FAR the best!

Here is another tip: make sure you bring some extra cash for misc tipping. All the employees at Tensing Pen are so kind and accommodating....we wished we had more cash handy to tip for little misc things they did for us. Like massages, fishing with Mike and whatever else you feel tip-worthy. I guess we figured we could just add the tips onto our room but in some cases it would have been better to give cash.

I was crying the morning we had to leave LOL this place is just so magical and an incredible place to get away - I was ready to stay another week!! I highly recommend booking a trip to Tensing Pen!! Whether it's a short get away weekend, a wedding or a group vacation for some friends.....you will be pleasantly surprised :) It feels like home away from home :)

1  Thank Katie V
Reviewed 23 May 2012

We booked our wedding here and brought our 31 of our closest friends and family with us for an entire weekend sight unseen. We couldn't be happier with our decision! The food was amazing, even a buffet for all of our guests. The service was top notch - until we needed a first aid kit. The place is beautiful and we're already planning our next trip!
Additionally, some of the owners happened to be there while we were and made a point to talk to us and get to know us a bit. They were very concerned about our stay and extremely nice!

Room Tip: Rockhouse II had an amazing view and is on the 'smaller side' of the property.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We have being going to Jamaica for 9 years and found Tensing 4 years ago and have not been to any other resort since. We have been 3 times in the last year, but usually go once a year. We increase our stay every year this last trip being 12 nights. We were a little nervous but it was fantastic. The dogs befriended us and was a little annoying especially at night but hey they are dogs. They came be very protective of you. The puppy was sooo bad. She need training. I think there were several complaints of Bezni (sp). This past trip we stayed in Rock Cottage, South Pillar, and Long House. All were great, but South Pillar was awesome waking up every morning to the ocean. The view was the best. Rock Cottage was very roomy and nice as well. Long House is the all time best and most economical with a group. The staff...well they are like family to us. ALL ARE GREAT !!! I hope the owners realize what a great staff they have. Their property is beautiful but hey you can find that anywhere. IT IS THE STAFF THAT MAKES TENSING PEN !!! I was a little upset to see my favorite massage therapiest Nadene gone. She had hands of steel. The prices of food are very reasonable. THE MENU NEEDS TO BE UPDATED !! You can order things not on menu and the cooks will take care of you....grill cheese all time favorite...chicken lola. Karen Maury please please update the menu..it was hard for 12 nights with the same food, but your great cooks took care of our requests. I have already planned my trip for next year. You will definetly go back!! WITHOUT A QUESTION. MAKE SURE YOU ASK FIRST ABOUT TAXI AT TENSING...KEITH REALLY RIPPED US OFF !!! The staff was very upset about it. I will never use him again. I only used him for a short trip. Our guy is Oscar Campbell. He has been picking us up from the airport for 6-7 years and he takes us on all of our day trips. His price for transfer from airport is 100/trip. That will be split if several people. He is worth the money. You will feel 100% safe and enjoy his sense of humor. Stop by the grocery store and get snacks and alcohol. Bring music and cooler as well and you will be set. Again this is home away from home for me and my husband.Oscar Cambell 1-876-8974 or smartchoicetaxi@yahoo.com call for airport transfer, dosent work on saturday do to church services all day on saturdays

Room Tip: First timers need ac esp in the summer months or a pillar.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank brywilson
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We stayed one night at TP and enjoyed ourselves immensely.

The property is lush and well kept, the staff friendly, the hammocks down by the ocean were our favorite spot and overall one night was perfect for us!

The hustle and bustle right outside the gates of TP were not ideal. Getting hassled, and hustled the second you step out is not anything I enjoy. But the gateman was kind enough to help us out, and although we were visiting for a very short time, we felt cared for.

The breakfast in the a.m. Is awesome. All the fresh fruit, fresh baked bread were delicious. You can order other food that is inexpensive.

We stayed in the garden b cottage and it suited us perfectly. The bed was very comfortable, shower was nice- it suited us.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#18 of 80 in Negril
Geejam
Geejam
#1 of 16 in Port Antonio

Been to Tensing Pen Resort? Share your experiences!