“Great place to Stay”
Review of Tensing Pen Resort

Tensing Pen Resort
Ranked #4 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Beautiful place to stay in Negril with cozy rooms and wonderful views of the cliffs. Would definitely return for another relaxing visit. Don't forget to walk to Ricks and try the jerk chicken pasta it is addictive!!

Reviewed 24 December 2013

We stayed in Rock Cottage II for a week. It was a great location on the rocks overlooking the most amazing sunsets. Clean rooms, excellent friendly staff. Food was amazing. No tv or phones. A perfect way to wind down. Wifi was available in the restaurant/bar area. Sea was warm and inviting, pool was cooler and refreshing. Taxi service from hotel available and easy to arrange. Walking distance to other restaurants. Mini store opposite for essentials. Sea urchins the hazard in one area. Small jellyfish in the sea some days, but didn't stop us swimming. Would recommend as a get away from it all break. An hour and a half drive from Montego Bay airport.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Goldendawnvalentina
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Our first time to Tensing Pen. We went with friends who have been staying there for years. The location is beautiful. The waters are clear and and warm. The room was ideal. But the staff was the best - they were friendly and made us feel like part of the family for our week. We already booked another week next year.

1  Thank James K
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My wife surprised me with a long weekend trip to Tensing Pen. Once we got here, our goal was to do pretty much nothing, and we certainly achieved that! We were in the Garden Studio unit with a great view of the water. Of course, we had to jump off the footbridge and swim in the crystal clear water. The food was very good, though admittedly the service was somewhat slow. But since we were not in a hurry to do anything, it fit us just perfect. Ahhh Bees across the street is a can't miss hamburger place. Walking distance to Rick's Cafe where we saw the locals dive from ridiculously high spots.
Very peaceful and tranquil. Perfect for a get-away weekend or honeymoon. Love it.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

The hotel was fine and the rooms were as expected. The service wasn't great, everyone that worked there except the maid staff and the lifeguard didn't seem happy. Service was usually slow and the food was so so. No drink service by the pool or anywhere else which would have been nice. We probably would have spent more money if they had that. I did love the dogs!

We meet a lot of couples/ familys have been returning for a number of years and I could see at some point that this hotel probably had better service, even stated so by the guests. It seems that the hotel might be struggling a bit and they might have reduced staff. We ate at one of the other resorts and were treated with the kind of service I would expect, smiling employees and the owner greated us personally and even brought us steamed peanuts from the street vendor which were fantastic. It was nice to actually be treated like a person who was paying for something rather then feeling like I was bothering the staff all of the time.

We didn't meet the owners and not sure if they were there during out stay. I would return to a cliff resort but I would look into The spa retreat, rockhouse and catch a falling star. I expected more from this resort from the reviews, but I think some are bias since guests have been returning for so long and seem to go there out of comfort and familiarity rather than the service and up outdated amenities/ rooms. Other resorts had similar pricing and will visit one of those next time. Wish the review and stay could be better.

2  Thank annadeoro
Reviewed 28 November 2013

This was our third stay at Tensing. We had the Red Birch cottage this time around, and have already booked for next years holiday. The place is amazing enough that it will be the only place we stay for the foreseeable future. It's worth noting that this was my thirteenth time visiting the island.

There is a review further down that disparaged the owner of the resort. I brought this up while staying at the hotel a couple of weeks ago to one of the owners who found it amusing, as neither she nor her husband were actually in residence that week. From the owners to the housekeeping staff, down to the resort dogs, this place makes you feel like you are in your own tailor made tropical home. Frankly, in the nearly 15 years the wife and I have been traveling, have we ever been so welcomed, or so we'll treated as we were here.

The resort has dogs. Three of them. Large Rhodesian ridge backs. They are part and parcel of the vacation, and folks who do not like dogs, or are inclined to complain about them are well suited to go elsewhere. If you like animals, these three are simply amazing. For whatever reason, they adopted us on our trip, and followed us around like... Well... Puppies. The fact that the resort has, and cares so well for animals on site is a major reason we come back.

Accommodations in the resort have been good wherever we stayed. This last trip, having red birch cottage (designed for four people) made our trip absolutely amazing, but I have also stayed in garden B (called their most economical room) and both south house rooms, all of which were quite lovely in their own way. The resort has neither phones nor televisions, amply outlined for any traveller doing research prior to going, and the lack of these is not an issue. The place is beautiful in it's own right, and I caught myself just watching the waves crash on the rocks for hours on end.

Staff. Most of the same staff has been there each time we return, and many are characters. Without exception, they have all made us feel welcome, but I have a few that have gone the extra mile to make my trip that much better. Tracey in the front office is amazingly sweet and kind, acting quickly on any request we might have. Her counterpart, Terry Ann is just as accommodating. Owen who works in the lodge has an always happy attitude, and makes me smile the second I see him. Mike, who seems to wear many hats was great for conversation and is just one of the kindest people I met there. Niney is one of the main grounds keepers. Get him in a conversation... He has been there since the 1970's, and planted most of the plants found on site. Amazing fellow to talk with. Jennifer.... Ah, Jennifer. She is a cook in the lodge, and has my heart. They say the way to a mans heart is through his stomach, and Jennifer found her way there, took up residence, and is on my mind whenever I crave a Jamaican breakfast or one of her delightful dinners. Dinner was typically served by Volliver (spelling may be off). This guy is very hard working, has a great attitude, and always was able to tell us a story. Make sure to ask him what the soup is (I bet it will be a "nice" soup no matter what day of the week it is). Management... I am bad with these names, as I did not have a huge interaction with them. There is a couple (they may be married) who run the hotel in the absence of the owners, and they were flat out amazing to my wife and I. We had an offsite experience on our last trip which could have potentially ruined our vacation, but the actions and attitude of the management staff was so amazing (including the resort owner) that it only served to cement my desire to return again and again to Tensing Pen. Finally, housekeeping. Often these individuals are overlooked, or fade into the background at the hotel. We had the pleasure of meeting Gloria who took care of us much of the week. Not only did she do an amazing job on the room, but she was also an interesting lady.

We did two weeks in Jamaica this year! only one of which was at Tensing, the second at a so called high end resort further up the road in Hanover parish (still negril, but what I now consider to be the warehouse Jamaican experience). For future trips, there will be no splitting of the vacation, only Tensing Pen will do for my Jamaican visits.

I cannot say enough good things about this resort, or the staff. After staying a week there, and having the immediate comparison the following week for one of the chain all inclusives, I can say with some measure of authority that this is a vacation which is custom made to truly relax and enjoy nature and quiet.

Room Tip: Ask which rooms have AC, not all do. Red Birch Cottage is fantastic if you are not a budget travell...