“Nirvana at it’s best”

Ranked #4 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Westminster, Maryland
“Nirvana at it’s best”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I planned a 5-night stay on 7 mile beach and 3 nights in the west end at Tensing Pen. The last 3 nights we spent at Tensing Pen.
Wow is how I’ll begin to describe it. It was our first experience at a non AI on the cliffs in Jamaica.

Check-in:
Check-in was a breeze. They provided a cool towel and a welcome drink. The front desk was very helpful throughout our entire stay.

Room:
We stayed in the South House II (see my room video below). This room had AC and while we spoke with others that said it’s not a big deal I’m glad we had it. The room was very cool and the balcony was amazing. The South House II (2nd floor) had a nice large balcony to sit on during the evening hours and take it all in. We really liked our room. One note. Rooms do not have a hair dryer. But the front desk can provide one that you can use and return for other guests to use as well.

Food:
We ate at The Lodge each day for breakfast; Malcolm was a very nice man and server. We had lunch and dinner once as well. Breakfast was very tasty. We had a jerk pizza and pasta for lunch. I recommend the jerk chicken pizza. For dinner I had the jerk shrimp. I thought this was very good as well. The service was great. We really enjoyed it. If I didn’t stay at Tensing I would still go to the Lodge.

Grounds:
We’ve seen the cliffs during our past trips but this was our first experience staying on the cliffs. It was absolutely amazing. Lying on the chairs during the day by the cliffs, jumping off of the bridge and swimming in the deep water was a lot of fun. We really enjoyed the 3 dogs (Shugar, Beezie and Tensing). They are very friendly. My wife enjoys dogs and she had them following us and sleeping on our balcony. Typically they won’t do this unless you show them attention and invite them. The pool was extremely nice as well.

Location:
This was a big plus. Ahh Bees and Roddy’s was right across the street. Catcha falling star was directly next-door. Ricks café was about a 5-minute walk. LTU was right after Ricks. The also had a few smaller restaurant/bars along the way. Wise market was about 3 minutes away. At Wise you could get beer, rum, snacks etc. We also walked to 3 Dives restaurant. They have the best jerk chicken!! 3 dives was about a 20 minute walk. When you exit the gates you want to turn left.

We had an amazing time. If we visit Negril next year we plan to do the same. Stay on 7 mile beach and the cliffs. It felt like two completely separate vacations. We would most likely stay at Tensing again next year...If it's not broke, don't fix it :)

South House II room video from our stay:

Room Tip: All rooms are amazing. But we like the rooms with an ocean view and AC
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flyinburrito

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Hebrew first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week with three friends in June in two bedroom Red Birch Cottage. Open air living room looked out onto ocean, every staff member was friendly, swimming in pool and off the cliffs was incredible, and dinner was one of the best during our stay. Not one bad thing to say. Perfect spot for getting away and relaxing. Will actively recommend this to anyone who comes to Jamaica.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Tensing Pen makes you feel like home. Every aspect of the property from its landscaping to the suites and most importantly the staff make it so wonderful. I stayed in the Bungalow and The Patio, both are exquisite. Everything was very clean. The beds were so comfortable and I had great sleep. The dining area is welcoming. It is not a cookie cutter property. It is unique and special. The food is amazing! The property exceeded my expectations. From my inquiries to the reservation, everything was seamless and effortless. Camille was whom I corresponded with most and it was so nice to meet her finally. Keith, our driver was pleasant and punctual from our arrival to our departure. Accommodations for excursions (Chukka) was a breeze and the price was great. I have to say Jamaicans define quality hospitality. Tensing Pen is where I want to be when I go to Jamaica. I wish I could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: The Patio is spacious with an extra twin bed. The Bungalow does not have an air conditioner but the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Norma A
Sioux Falls South Dakota, USA
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Tensing Pen is a beautiful resort on the cliffs of Negril. We stayed in garden b and the room couldn't have been much better. The only reason to stay in the more expensive rooms is if you desire a view. It appeared as though all the rooms had fridges which was very nice as there is a small grocery across the street to get beer and juice and such. All rooms do not have A/C though so pay attention when you book. The temps are in the high 80's but it is very humid and feels like it is 100+ when there isn't a breeze.

The grounds are well maintained and covered with with many plants and flowers. There is also plenty of crabs and snails and such wandering around. As a previous review stated the rooms are not air tight and you will likely have some ants or other very small bugs get in. If this is a problem then Jamaica in general is probably not for you. It is a tropical island after all.

The food at the restaurant was just as good as any we tried elsewhere. They also serve a small continental breakfast in the morning that was very nice. There are a few local restaurants/shacks just outside the gate and the resorts on either side also have nice restaurants. Rick's cafe is also only a few minute walk from the property. The pool is small but so is the resort so it wasn't very crowded. Our group spent much more time in the ocean as there is a nice area with ladders to get in and out and floats available.

There is security at the gate 24/7 and someone in the office all night as well in case you need something. The staff will arrange a cab if you need one and often the cab will either wait for you or come back to get you at a specified time so that you can avoid waiting for another cab and negotiating prices. The staff will also happily arrange any excursions you want to do. Everything at the resort can be charged to your room and it will be itemized when you check out. All prices are in US as are just about every other property we visited.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one with A/C ! Get the cheaper rooms with no view. There are plenty of places...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank ynotstern
Westbury, New York
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Tensing Pen from June 2-4/2014. I was actually in Jamaica until June 7 and I wish I could have spent my whole vacation here instead of going down to the Beach. This hotel is so relaxing and even though other guests were there it felt like our own private retreat. The whole process from check in to checkout was hassle free complete with welcome drink and a cool towel on arrival. I stayed in Garden A and it was close to everything yet still felt secluded. Room was beautiful and just the right size. We ate at the restaurant for breakfast daily and the continental breakfast is more than enough. We ate there once for dinner and lunch and enjoyed both times immensely especially the rasta pasta at dinner. The pool is beautifully but the draw here is jumping from the cliff side and the bridge. We spent many days jumping from the bridge and various cliffs and we enjoyed them all. The water is so blue its just amazing. All of the staff we encountered were friendly and acccomadating. There is no phone or TV in the room but we did not miss it at all! Free WiFi is all over the resort and in every room. All in all a great place. I can't wait to go back.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We typically stay along Seven Mile Beach but decided to book two nights at Tensing Pen to give the cliffs a try. So glad that we did! It was so awesome that we extended our stay there to 5 nights, caring less about our prepaid room down the beach. The water. The rooms (I'm not going to disclose my favorite for fear of never getting it again). The food. The dogs! All outstanding. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Stay in a room away from the road.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DownShore888
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. The cottages are very beautiful and peaceful, located just above the sea.

Unfortunately, the nights are anything but peaceful, especially if you're on the side of the property further away from the reception/restaurant area. We were not prepared for barking dogs and loud music from land and sea, which starts around 10pm until... Also, be aware, in Negril, unlike anywhere else on the island, Mosquitos are rampant and wicked at nights.

With a few exceptions, the staff was not very friendly and in some cases unprofessional in their manner of interacting with us. However, they were kind and considerate to move us to another room after we complained about the noise and the nesting of mosquitos in the bathroom.

There were also three Ridgebacks (dogs), approximately 90-120 lbs, we were told belong to the owner, roamed the property unsupervised, they were generally friendly, although we've noticed signs of aggression towards a few, otherwise, they enjoy spending time with guests at mealtimes, and should you feed them, be prepared to have his/her head on your lap (two females, one male) for the duration. On the day we were due to check out, the water was shut off around 10am, we found out later that construction work was being performed around the property, we were not privy of this.

Overall, we were very disappointed that such a beautiful place felt so unwelcoming.

Room Tip: Select accommodations away from the street (closer to the sea) to avoid the street noise (mosquitos...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple