“Fab!”
Review of Tensing Pen Resort

Tensing Pen Resort
Ranked #4 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Had the most amazing stay at this beautiful hotel. All the staff were super friendly and even upgraded our room upon arrival. Would highly recommend a visit here. Only negative comments was that t.v's are not included in your room and free wifi is poor, however this is not a major concern with the beautiful views in which Tensing Pen has to offer and the very high standard accommodation it really is a fabulous resort.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 July 2014

PROS: Tensing Pen is beautiful. The landscaping between all the cottages is stunning, and you can't beat the dramatic view of the cliffs. Our room was incredibly quiet at night, all we heard was ocean. Clean room and bathroom. Friendly, helpful staff. The resort in general was very quiet. All the other guests were quiet, respectful and not at all rowdy. Either walking distance or cab ride to other resorts and attractions.

CONS: Food is limited to one restaurant. We wanted to sleep in, but then missed breakfast every day and had to wait around for the restaurant to start serving lunch. Bar closes around 10pm every night. (We are New Yorkers and not used to things winding down so early at night. Some people might like that though!) Forced us to explore some restaurants outside the resort, which ended up being a good thing.

Pool is small; however, since we went during the off-season (June) we often felt like we had the place to ourselves anyway. No hot tub. No poolside service, but easy enough to walk up to the bar for drinks. No room service.

Room Tip: Seagrape I is on the lower level. Quiet, with ocean views from the porch. GREAT air conditioning-- m...
1  Thank eneary16
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The location and views on this property are some of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen. The sunset is breathtaking. The cliffs were awesome and I had fun jumping off of them and the bridge.

Food at the place is good, but expensive compared to similar places around Negril.

The three dogs (Rhodesian Ridgebacks) were awesome, loved Beasy, Tensing and Shuga! Very friendly, and Beasy will lay right next to you and give you kisses if you let her.

The people are incredibly nice, overall. They are very relaxed too, which is cool, but at some point it becomes a little bit of a hassle to be waiting around for things to be done. Turnover service was not done until later in the afternoon sometimes, which made us have to leave our room when they finally showed up, a small inconvenience with the cliffs and hammocks around the place to keep you occupied. But still an inconvenience.

When we arrived we were greeted kindly and shown to our room, the Garden Cabin. The room looked just alright, but wasn't the cleanest and close the loud street. You could see ants crawling all over the floor, bugs flying around, and the room seemed dingy and outdated. We just thought, "we're in the tropics, ants and mosquitos are going to get in and we got a good deal on this place." The problem was that we were constantly being bitten in our sleep and my wife and I have a crazy crazy crazy amount of mosquito bites, some in places that are typically covered during the day. That means the bites were coming while we bathed or were changing. The shower literally had zero water pressure and was basically just dripping out of the shower head, really terrible for getting sand and salt off our bodies after a day out. We kept a positive outlook for the first 4 nights throughout our whole week, but one night it came to a head. While my wife was brushing her teeth she was greeted by a cockroach as big as my thumb above the sink as well as a crab chilling on her sandals by the shower. The crab was fine (it happens), but we were not okay with the roach, as one roach usually means there's a family in the walls or somewhere in the vicinity. We asked for a room change and after speaking to the night manager (a very very nice gentleman, but just said the wrong things) who, at first reaction told us "You'll have to wait until tomorrow." We weren't having that and insisted he call his boss and get this worked out. He did, apologized, and got our room changed to South House 1, a much nicer room with water pressure, less bugs and more space. We were absolutely grateful for this change, but we were told by the same night manager "Let's see what happens in the morning, you're in a nicer room now and we may have to charge you for an upgrade since you used expedia." I did not appreciate this, because:
First: I'm sure most people nowadays book through expedia and other online sites. Just because I booked through a site doesn't mean I should get treated differently than any other guest. If you can't treat all guests the same, don't allow booking through the sites.
Second: why should I be charged for the room change when I wasn't at fault for the roach and uncleanliness. Potential extra charges were not something I wanted to think about when I'm about to go to sleep on vacation, especially because the rooms at TP are incredibly expensive ($160/night for the lowest and $630/night for the highest). When I spoke to the day manager in the morning, she apologized for the inconvenience and said not to worry about being charged. We were very much relieved by this and enjoyed the rest of our last day there with no more issues.

I feel that for cheaper there are other hotels and resorts who would be all inclusive for less than what you pay to stay at TP.

I would stay there again if they updated the rooms, did a good cleaning and debugging in their rooms and dropped some of their prices.

Room Tip: Don't pick the Garden Cabin, but the other rooms seem good, although pricy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank amauz11
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Tensing Pen is a lovely property in a nice setting. The rooms (although very nice) were very musty and in dire need of a thorough cleaning! The staff were also lackluster and didn't really help to create a holiday experience for guests. All in all, I probably would not stay at Tensing Pen again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This boutique resort was AMAZING! I stayed here back in October of 2013 for a wedding that I was apart of. Everything was absolutely wonderful. From the staff, to the food, to the awesome views, Tensing Pen is the perfect location for getting away from it all. Unlike many other resorts, this one is unique because it is very small and intimate. Although there is free wifi availiable, there is no tvs, computors, or any other stressful amenities. I do not know if I would recommend taking children, however. This resort is more for adults, since there is not much there to entertain a child. It is the perfect place for a couples vacation.

Everyone there is nice and caters to your every need. Oh and the pictures that you will see online WILL NOT do this place justice. GORGEOUS. All the rooms are unique, some with AC and some without. Although they say there is a cool breeze, I still would recommend the air conditioned rooms. Some of the other people who we traveled with us had the non AC rooms and complained that it was a little hot (in October).

The wedding itself was absolutely fabulous. If you are planning on getting married there, I would recommend booking way in advanced in order to have the entire property reserved for you and your guest. That way you get a more private feeling.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Tensing Pen was the perfect place to spend our honeymoon. The hotel is kept immaculate, the people are so helpful and friendly, and you really feel like you've gotten away from it all. We loved the relaxed feel and the beautiful views from the cliffs. It was great to be able to come back to this relaxing location after being out on 7 Mile Beach. It east enough to take a 5 minute cab ride to 7 Mile if you want some quality beach time, but it was definitely nice to have the option to leave the area which feels very touristy. We stayed in the Cove Cottage which was really beautiful, but I don't think you could go wrong with any of the rooms. We'd like to stay in the Middle Pillar next time for the high view of the ocean and sunset. The food was amazing. The swimming was amazing. The people in the front office were very helpful with restaurant suggestions and arranging taxis to take us wherever we wanted to go.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Cove Cottage which was really beautiful, but I don't think you could go wrong w...
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I got married at Tensing Pen in a bride and groom only ceremony last week. I first have to say thanks again to Shanique the T.P wedding coordinator who we exchanged multiple emails with in the months prior to the wedding. Very professional, patient, and hardworking (she also helps setup the wedding site) and she had everything we requested ready for the big day.

About Tensing itself; really gorgeous resort that never felt crowded at all (50% booked at the time we stayed there I believe). There are multiple ledges to jump into the water from (including the famous bridge) and multiple outdoor daybeds around the property. We felt very safe and everyone on staff we interacted with was very courteous and helpful. A self-serve continental breakfast spread is offered which consists of cereal, bread, PB&J, fresh fruits, coffee, and tea. We ate dinner at the resort twice which was good but if you want more of a local fare for breakfast or dinner you might have to go off-site (Sips and Bites a 5 min drive away has really good local food).

We stayed in Rock Cottage II which is their most popular room. The room has adequate AC and ceiling fan as well as a large porch with 2 outdoor daybeds, safe, in door bathroom, and a queen bed I believe. It is in a semi-private area of the resort with great views of the ocean from the front porch. We will definitely be back at some point in the future.

P.S If the couple that bought a bottle of Champaign for the bride and groom is reading this; we really appreciated it and wished we had the opportunity to say thanks!

Room Tip: We were in a room near the ocean (Rock Cottage II) and heard very little noise except the ocean. Gre...
1  Thank Andre S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#1 of 16 in Port Antonio
Jamaica Inn
Jamaica Inn
#1 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Tensing Pen Resort? Share your experiences!