“Best visit to Jamaica in 10 trips!”
Review of Tensing Pen Resort

Tensing Pen Resort
Ranked #4 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Akron, Ohio
“Best visit to Jamaica in 10 trips!”
Reviewed 10 February 2011

My wife and I traveled to Tensing pen for our 10th trip to the island over many years. We had the best trip of our lives,love the island and love Tensing pen more. It is truly a tropical paradise and a great get away value. The staff was outstanding- like family by the end of the week.

2 Thank garyn6468

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Hebrew first
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Beautiful individual rooms with great views over the sea. Small, very individual and calm. The perfect spot to unwind. We stayed in Rock Cottage 1 which is about 30 feet from the sea. Slept better here than almost anywhere. Has the best ever view of sunset. Rooms very well maintained and simply stylish.
The food is excellent. Home cooked and far better than the local restaurants.
If it had a beach it would be perfect for me as when the sea is choppy I don't always want to climb down the ladder in to it. But there is a pool to cool down in if it is too rough.
I love this place. It is very special. This was our 2nd visit.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 7 February 2011

we have been everywhere in the caribbean with our 3 girls and have never wanted to go back to the same place until tensing pen. in fact , our three girls would never let us going anywhere else. the experience is far beyond the beautiful grounds , the incredible restaurant , and the unigue , comfortable and incredibly well maintained cottages.. what makes tensing pen so great is the people that work at the resort and the way the resort is a part of the jamaican experience. everyone at the resort is so helpful , willing to converse about jamaica , and just generally always friendly ,gracious and hospitable. the resort also encourages guests to reach out to the negril street life. from the incredible sit down restaurants to the street vendors i.e. ros rody and others to the shops and artists. every year we also take a day with melvin crooks (876) 369-5866 to explore jamaica which we highly recommend. he will also pick you up in montego bay airport.
Our initial concern about the resort was a lack of a beach . After being there for 5 minutes you never even think of a beach . the ocean just opens up into to your lap. the swimming snorkeling , jumping from the bridges and rocks ,floating on a raft is a blast. But the best part is the waves crashing against the rocks at nights. the wind and sound is so relaxing you dont want to go to sleep to end the mood. If you want to go to the beach the resort arranges you to go to a hotel on the seven mile beach where they make you feel welcome
if you are so fortunate to go there consider yourself lucky and just relax and let the jamaican life take control.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 6 February 2011

Tensing Pen is by far the most beautiful place we have stayed in Jamaica. From the moment you arrive you transcend into a timeless and pressure free existence. The views and the serenity are unparalleled. The fine food and friendly service are outstanding and your ability to escape the everyday grind are immediate. Suffice it to say that you absolutely owe it to yourself to take a vacation there even at twice the price.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 February 2011

My wife and I have just returned from a week at Tensing Pen and the wife who has for 30 years refused to even consider Jamaica for a vacation much less wild Negril, but I got her there and on the 2nd day she was picking out which cottage to stay in next trip. Mind you we have both had skin cancer and the strong sun Jamaica is not what our doctor ordered. But Tensing Pen is layed out, so you can stay in the shade if you like in the lush gardens or under the trees, huts or the main building by the pool and still be outdoors plus you have your own very private porch. Safety is a non issue here with mans best friends Tensing and Sugar, if they take to you they wll not leave your side day or night and are always ready to charge off to check out any thing out of the ordinary on the grounds, plus you have the human element as well. The food and staff were excelent and ready to pick Sea Urchin spines out of your feet of hand if need be, too. It's a 10+ and you can not go wrong by staying here.

Seattle
Reviewed 3 February 2011

We stayed at Tensing the last two nights of our trip, Jan 20 & 21. This place is absolutely GLORIOUS! Tensing Pen has a really nice small lobby area, where you can wait until you check-in. We were greeted with smiles, warmth, and a cool lavender like towel – to wipe our face & hands, and a nice cold fruit punch drink. The ladies at the main office – Camilla in particular, are very sweet and helpful.

The layout of the entire property is very nice. The lobby is in front, and the next building is the restaurant – chill area – and bar overlooking the beautiful cliffs and ocean. It is just magnificent!!

We arrived a couple hours before our room was ready so we left our bags in the lobby and had lunch across the street (which is a great place to get some awesome Jamaican food – cheap too!).

We stayed in the Middle Pillar. The property has a total of four Pillars – I think. Three of the Pillars have magnificent views of the cliffs and ocean. They are right by the famous bridge – people dare to jump off from. The fourth Pillar was nice too – but it is set amongst the rocks. I think I would have been disappointed if we stayed in that Pillar– but only because the other tree Pillars are beautifully located by the ocean. I mean you are litterly steps to jumping off a cliff or bridge. The place is Very Romantic!!

There was no shower inside the Pillar rooms. You have to go directly below your pillar to take a shower. It is kind of an open shower, so anyone walking by can “mistakenly” walk in - if they wanted to check out the unit - so no door. But no problem mon!
I thought this to be odd – but very exotic – I loved it! Only in Negril!

Oh, or Pillar did not have AC, but you really don’t need it – at least during the time we went. We left our doors to our balcony open at night. This allowed for a nice breeze, plus allowed us to listen to the waves crashing the cliffs at night. I just love this place. The unit has a fan – which helped. The bed also had a mosquito net – which came in handy at night – since we left our balcony door open.

The rest of the property is just amazingly beautiful. They have a nice pool – with a beautiful view of the ocean. We spent most of our time at the pool– because we went with our three year old. Yes, I’m sure couples come here to get away from families and kids, but I’m so glad they allow kids. Please Please Please don’t change this policy. My son was no problem – at least I think so. Everyone – including guests were welcoming.

The property is magnificent. We had dinner at Catcha Falling Star – and I just love the property at Tensing Pen more! It is a small property with Pillars, Cottages, little houses – and is just perfectly laid out.

I went to Negril with the mindset that I will NOT return. Only because there are way too many places I want to visit, with little vacation time and money. But believe me, I am returning to Negril – and to Tensing Pen. It is so peaceful on the Cliffside – a different vibe than the 7-mile beach. When you want to get away from all the hustle and bustle of the beach – GO TO THE CLIFFS.

I know better now. Next time, I’m booking my entire stay at Tensing – and I figure I’ll just cab it to Half Moon Beach when I want to go to the beach.

I had a massage scheduled on the day we were leaving Negril – I highly recommend scheduling one before you leave. It was wonderful and allowed me to relax for the plane ride. I had the Coco butter body scrub. My only complaint is – the towels the lady gave me initially looked really dirty – I just told myself that maybe it’s just stained. I didn’t want to make a big deal about it – at this point, Negril taught me how to have a No Problem Mon attitude. The lady did do a wonderful job. She gave me a good massage too. Usually body scrubs are just that – a body scrub to get all the dead skin off. So it was best of both – a good scrub and massage. I was happy.

Another small disappointment – I didn’t really get to see too much of Tensing and Sugar. Not sure where they were hanging out. I saw them occasionally - walking about, but didn't get to hang out with them. Next time.

Oh, one small note: We ended up cancelling our dinner reservation to Rockhouse, and had dinner at Tensing Pen. The restaurant does not get too many raves for their food - but we LOVED IT.

My husband had the jamaican jerk shrimp with salsa - it was SO GOOD. I had the snapper with pumpkin sauce. Very good too. I wanted to make a note of it - because of some of the reviews mention meh food. All i say is try it for yourself - I doubt you'll be disappointed. Plus everyone has different tastes buds. I will say - I'm a snob about my food - and a wannabe foodie. :)

Thank you Tensing Pen!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 3 February 2011

My husband and I have been to Tensing Pen several times through the years and each time we return, we comment that it truly gets better every time. This time we went with another couple as well which made it more of a social vacation and we had a blast!! We love the food TP has to offer...from the great coffee in the morning and the continental breakfast to the jerk pizzas and salads for lunch to the grilled snapper and stuffed chicken for dinner. I must say that a few of the dinners I had here, were the best I have ever had! In the morning, we usually parked ourselves by the pool and some days we were the only one's there. They offer a beautiful infinity edge pool and the most fabulous loungers...some even have canopes! One afternoon, while the men went out to the coral reef on a snorkling trip with Vincent, the ladies enjoyed massages with Nadine. Let me tell you...that woman has hands like no other!! TP offers a massage hut out by the water, all you have to do it book in the time you want with the office and you will experience the massage of a lifetime. We had lunch at Margaretaville and went for a long walk along the 7 mile stretch of beach...we got rained on...but didn't care. I think the best part of Tensing Pen is the hidden little extras. From the french doors and unique island artwork to the most beautiful hand carved mahogony beds with the best linens and pillows I have ever slept in. We have been to many of the Caribbean Islands and stayed at different types of resorts but I can't say enough about how much we love it at Tensing Pen. This little gem has got it all going on!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
#6 of 80 in Negril
Couples Negril
Couples Negril
#8 of 80 in Negril

Been to Tensing Pen Resort? Share your experiences!