“Paradise without the sand”
Review of Tensing Pen Resort

Tensing Pen Resort
Ranked #4 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Newmarket, Canada
“Paradise without the sand”
Reviewed 15 February 2011

My wife and I travelled to this hotel in November for my 50th birthday and needless to say I wouldn't have had it any other way. From beginning to end the trip was over the top if you want to get away from the hustle and bussle and just sit back and enjoy paradise. Just not having any electronics in the room or the area makes you think where am I, as there are not cellphones going off or everyone carrying a blackberry. Leave them at home and if you really need to use a computer there is wifi in the lobby. The grounds and the buildings were amazing and the staff kept apologizing for the hurricane that had done some damage to the property. Staff were great and workers were cleaning up the remainder of the damaged areas. The cottages were fantastic and created the relaxing atmosphere that is Tensing Pen. The continental breakfast was simple but satisfying and eating at Tensing Pen or any of the boutique hotels or small restaurants in the area and all are reasonable. Go and see Leroy and Rose in the tin shack across the street for a fabulous jerk chicken plate of food. They will make you smile everyday. Alices across the street was also great and we can really say that every place we ate from the Rockhouse to Catch a falling star and Tensing Pen offered great food. We walked on the road day and night and felt very safe. We walked into the Town of Negril on two occassions (1. hr) walk. A few stores around but nice to go into the local area stores and see their wares and share in some of their foods. There is nothing like sitting on a cliff every night watching the sun slowly drop into the ocean with a rum and coke or a glass of wine and the new friends you meet. We met people from all over at this resort and a lot of them are returnies.... 4th time 6th time and we now see why as we will definitely be going back.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ronk69

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Hebrew first
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 10 February 2011

My wife and I traveled to Tensing pen for our 10th trip to the island over many years. We had the best trip of our lives,love the island and love Tensing pen more. It is truly a tropical paradise and a great get away value. The staff was outstanding- like family by the end of the week.

2 Thank garyn6468
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Beautiful individual rooms with great views over the sea. Small, very individual and calm. The perfect spot to unwind. We stayed in Rock Cottage 1 which is about 30 feet from the sea. Slept better here than almost anywhere. Has the best ever view of sunset. Rooms very well maintained and simply stylish.
The food is excellent. Home cooked and far better than the local restaurants.
If it had a beach it would be perfect for me as when the sea is choppy I don't always want to climb down the ladder in to it. But there is a pool to cool down in if it is too rough.
I love this place. It is very special. This was our 2nd visit.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 7 February 2011

we have been everywhere in the caribbean with our 3 girls and have never wanted to go back to the same place until tensing pen. in fact , our three girls would never let us going anywhere else. the experience is far beyond the beautiful grounds , the incredible restaurant , and the unigue , comfortable and incredibly well maintained cottages.. what makes tensing pen so great is the people that work at the resort and the way the resort is a part of the jamaican experience. everyone at the resort is so helpful , willing to converse about jamaica , and just generally always friendly ,gracious and hospitable. the resort also encourages guests to reach out to the negril street life. from the incredible sit down restaurants to the street vendors i.e. ros rody and others to the shops and artists. every year we also take a day with melvin crooks (876) 369-5866 to explore jamaica which we highly recommend. he will also pick you up in montego bay airport.
Our initial concern about the resort was a lack of a beach . After being there for 5 minutes you never even think of a beach . the ocean just opens up into to your lap. the swimming snorkeling , jumping from the bridges and rocks ,floating on a raft is a blast. But the best part is the waves crashing against the rocks at nights. the wind and sound is so relaxing you dont want to go to sleep to end the mood. If you want to go to the beach the resort arranges you to go to a hotel on the seven mile beach where they make you feel welcome
if you are so fortunate to go there consider yourself lucky and just relax and let the jamaican life take control.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 6 February 2011

Tensing Pen is by far the most beautiful place we have stayed in Jamaica. From the moment you arrive you transcend into a timeless and pressure free existence. The views and the serenity are unparalleled. The fine food and friendly service are outstanding and your ability to escape the everyday grind are immediate. Suffice it to say that you absolutely owe it to yourself to take a vacation there even at twice the price.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 February 2011

My wife and I have just returned from a week at Tensing Pen and the wife who has for 30 years refused to even consider Jamaica for a vacation much less wild Negril, but I got her there and on the 2nd day she was picking out which cottage to stay in next trip. Mind you we have both had skin cancer and the strong sun Jamaica is not what our doctor ordered. But Tensing Pen is layed out, so you can stay in the shade if you like in the lush gardens or under the trees, huts or the main building by the pool and still be outdoors plus you have your own very private porch. Safety is a non issue here with mans best friends Tensing and Sugar, if they take to you they wll not leave your side day or night and are always ready to charge off to check out any thing out of the ordinary on the grounds, plus you have the human element as well. The food and staff were excelent and ready to pick Sea Urchin spines out of your feet of hand if need be, too. It's a 10+ and you can not go wrong by staying here.

Seattle
Reviewed 3 February 2011

We stayed at Tensing the last two nights of our trip, Jan 20 & 21. This place is absolutely GLORIOUS! Tensing Pen has a really nice small lobby area, where you can wait until you check-in. We were greeted with smiles, warmth, and a cool lavender like towel – to wipe our face & hands, and a nice cold fruit punch drink. The ladies at the main office – Camilla in particular, are very sweet and helpful.

The layout of the entire property is very nice. The lobby is in front, and the next building is the restaurant – chill area – and bar overlooking the beautiful cliffs and ocean. It is just magnificent!!

We arrived a couple hours before our room was ready so we left our bags in the lobby and had lunch across the street (which is a great place to get some awesome Jamaican food – cheap too!).

We stayed in the Middle Pillar. The property has a total of four Pillars – I think. Three of the Pillars have magnificent views of the cliffs and ocean. They are right by the famous bridge – people dare to jump off from. The fourth Pillar was nice too – but it is set amongst the rocks. I think I would have been disappointed if we stayed in that Pillar– but only because the other tree Pillars are beautifully located by the ocean. I mean you are litterly steps to jumping off a cliff or bridge. The place is Very Romantic!!

There was no shower inside the Pillar rooms. You have to go directly below your pillar to take a shower. It is kind of an open shower, so anyone walking by can “mistakenly” walk in - if they wanted to check out the unit - so no door. But no problem mon!
I thought this to be odd – but very exotic – I loved it! Only in Negril!

Oh, or Pillar did not have AC, but you really don’t need it – at least during the time we went. We left our doors to our balcony open at night. This allowed for a nice breeze, plus allowed us to listen to the waves crashing the cliffs at night. I just love this place. The unit has a fan – which helped. The bed also had a mosquito net – which came in handy at night – since we left our balcony door open.

The rest of the property is just amazingly beautiful. They have a nice pool – with a beautiful view of the ocean. We spent most of our time at the pool– because we went with our three year old. Yes, I’m sure couples come here to get away from families and kids, but I’m so glad they allow kids. Please Please Please don’t change this policy. My son was no problem – at least I think so. Everyone – including guests were welcoming.

The property is magnificent. We had dinner at Catcha Falling Star – and I just love the property at Tensing Pen more! It is a small property with Pillars, Cottages, little houses – and is just perfectly laid out.

I went to Negril with the mindset that I will NOT return. Only because there are way too many places I want to visit, with little vacation time and money. But believe me, I am returning to Negril – and to Tensing Pen. It is so peaceful on the Cliffside – a different vibe than the 7-mile beach. When you want to get away from all the hustle and bustle of the beach – GO TO THE CLIFFS.

I know better now. Next time, I’m booking my entire stay at Tensing – and I figure I’ll just cab it to Half Moon Beach when I want to go to the beach.

I had a massage scheduled on the day we were leaving Negril – I highly recommend scheduling one before you leave. It was wonderful and allowed me to relax for the plane ride. I had the Coco butter body scrub. My only complaint is – the towels the lady gave me initially looked really dirty – I just told myself that maybe it’s just stained. I didn’t want to make a big deal about it – at this point, Negril taught me how to have a No Problem Mon attitude. The lady did do a wonderful job. She gave me a good massage too. Usually body scrubs are just that – a body scrub to get all the dead skin off. So it was best of both – a good scrub and massage. I was happy.

Another small disappointment – I didn’t really get to see too much of Tensing and Sugar. Not sure where they were hanging out. I saw them occasionally - walking about, but didn't get to hang out with them. Next time.

Oh, one small note: We ended up cancelling our dinner reservation to Rockhouse, and had dinner at Tensing Pen. The restaurant does not get too many raves for their food - but we LOVED IT.

My husband had the jamaican jerk shrimp with salsa - it was SO GOOD. I had the snapper with pumpkin sauce. Very good too. I wanted to make a note of it - because of some of the reviews mention meh food. All i say is try it for yourself - I doubt you'll be disappointed. Plus everyone has different tastes buds. I will say - I'm a snob about my food - and a wannabe foodie. :)

Thank you Tensing Pen!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Negril Tree House Resort
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#7 of 81 in Negril

Been to Tensing Pen Resort? Share your experiences!