“Unforgettable, but know what to expect”

Banana Shout Resort
Ranked #6 of 44 Negril B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 April 2012

There was no soap, shampoo, the towels were scratchy, the fridge was falling apart, and the water didn't work when we got there. Security feels a little dicey with nowhere to really lock up your stuff. The local area provides few resources for remedying these issues. If you are looking for pampering, this isn't the place.

So why did I give Banana Shout a 5/5? Because it is the most unique resort I have ever stayed in. Where else can you swing on your own private hammock 10 feet from the sea while the sun sets, smoke freely from your pipe, and jump off a 30 foot private cliff into crystal blue water whenever the mood strikes? For $110 a night, low season...amazing deal.

The important stuff is done well - cool local art, a surprisingly comfortable and minimalist king bed, and a good amount of space. Very intimate and quiet, though excellent dining (Ivan's) and partying (Rick's) are right next door.

The setting is gorgeous, romantic, and unforgettable. A good way to sum it up might be 50% The Caves, 50% Youth Hostel. Banana Shout is highly recommended, if you are OK with the rustic, quirky, and un-resort like experience.

Room Tip: I recommend the Dolphin View or Bay for couples - can't get more private or close to the sea
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fmlizard
There are newer reviews for Banana Shout Resort

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Banana Shout Resort is nestled on the breathtaking cliffs on Jamaica's western tip.The owners Milo and Marianne are lovely and special.The Dolphin Cove Cottage in which I relaxed is five feet away and 25 feet above the crystal blue Caribbean Sea and 10 feet away from the Banana Shout bar and restaurant.The Dolphin Cove Cottage is cozy and has spectacular-breathtaking views with its own private stairway onto relaxing sunbathing terraces and into the cool-soothing waters of the Banana Shout Resort-Dolphin Bay Caribbean Sea !

Room Tip: Dolphin Bay Cottage all the way !
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Cigarmon
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Small mellow resort with AWESOME cliff terraces to relax on between jumping into the beautiful blue water. You'd like something? Lobster dinner? Fresh juices? Just ask Milo.
And don't be shy; get Milo to introduce you to the locals. Some of the best people you will ever meet.
My suggestion: rent the whole place and fill it full of your friends. Great memories will be made.
I live in Oregon, and can get to many other locations quicker and cheaper, but I've been to Banana Shout 3 times.

Room Tip: I've stayed at all 4 cabins, and I love them all.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2012

What can I say about Banana Shout that hasn't already been said? Milo, Marianne and the staff are the epitome of hospitality. These cottages will give you the feeling of staying at your very own, private, well staffed cottage away from it all. Wake up in the morning and snorkel off your own private cliffs or just sit in the cave with your feet dangling into the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean.

Trust me when I say once you go... You know.
I have known Milo for several years but had not had the pleasure of meeting Marianne until this trip. When the taxi dropped us off. Marianne came to the gate and when she saw us, jumped up and down with excitement that we had finally arrived. Yes, it was just like coming home to family. Need a few things from the local market? It's only a 3 minute walk from the shout and if you are too busy (or lazy) to go yourself... Just ask Plug or one of the other members of the staff. They will be happy to pick a few things up for you. But take my advice and take the walk. The last time I walked over which was in February, one of the locals had just come in with his catch of the day (they fish my snorkeling out about a mile and spear fish) Hanging outside the market was a 3.5 ft. barracuda and a blow-fish the size of a watermelon!

Rooms are neat as a pin and the beds are very comfortable which is saying something about Negril. Before finding this jewel, I've slept on many mattresses that left me swearing to never return again.

This is a laid back vacation like no other. Don't believe me?

See for yourself!

Room Tip: Dolphin View!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I'd like to review Banana Shout... I had been there over three years ago but figured it was time to let everyone know what an amazing place on the planet this place is! From the staff through to the overall experience, you just don't want to leave this place - we actually extended our stay for four more days once we got there... It's got gorgeous views and amazing gardens which are so well maintained. From the cleaning staff who were friendly and amazing, and left you the nicest towel and fresh flower arrangement everyday; to the gardner, Plug, who can explain his name to you when you get there, they would all do anything and everything he could do to make sure you had everything you needed for your stay. Milo... well, there's a lot to say about Milo.. He's amazing.. He makes sure you have the best Jamaican experience possible, from rounding up tour guides to take you around the island to cooking you amazing food, he just wants to see you smile... I've travelled lots and lots, never have I met a fellow that could make you laugh and accommodate you as well like Milo, he's one of a kind. We travelled around Thanksgiving time and he even arranged for a fantastic festive dinner for all the guests of the resort...

Overall, highly recommend this resort... you really can't find anything close to it in the entire Caribbean. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I have stayed at Banana Shout now a total of 4 times, each time for more than 6 nights. It just keeps getting better, The cliffs are one of the best places in Negril. Watching the sunset, enjoying fresh cooked meals. I miss it already.

The staff are all very friendly, Each one of them are always asking if they can do anything, if you need anything in the most hospitable and professional way. Each morning you awake to freshly cleaned walkways, so as you walk to the cliffs the paths are all perfectly clean. The gardening is attended to each day with the same attention to detail.

Some nights we would stay up late. Of course we would be late to rise in the morning, only to find the house keeper patiently awaiting us to leave or go swimming, etc. So that she could perform her duties and not disturb us on our vacation. The house stayed in awesome shape for our entire stay.

You must have Milo (The Owner) prepare a authentic Italian meal for you. He is an incredible cook. My Fiance and I, enjoy our meal with him, each time that we are in Negril it stands out as one of those very special moments. It is one of the best meals on the West End.

My experience at Banana Shout has always been awesome. Looking forward to my next trip. It can not come soon enough.

Room Tip: Between the 2 houses in the front the only difference is in one the shower is big enough for 2 peopl...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We had a 3 night stay at Banana Shout March 2-5. We had stayed at Beaches Sandy Bay for a week prior. We are a family of 4. we have a 10 year old and 16 year old. We wanted to show the kids the "real" Jamaica outside of the all inclusives. We loved it. We stayed in the Red Rooster cottage. It was clean and tidy. The owner Milo was awesome. He cooked a dinner for my son's 16th birthday that was to die for. The staff that work there are outstanding. Plug kept the grounds immaculate. He was always there when you needed him yet working quietly all day if you needed privacy. We used a recommended taxi driver "Jah" as needed. He was the sweetest gentleman. We felt safe and comfortable to walk to neighboring restaurants and the little store accross the street. We did venture to Rick's but quickly returned to our quiet cottage. We learned a great deal about the Jamaican culture and government during our dinner with Milo and Marianne. It was nice to see a different side of Jamaica. I highly recommend this property for value, cultural experience and friendliness of the staff/owner. We will return.

Room Tip: The Red Rooster slept the 4 us very comfortably. Bring earplugs as the dogs accross the street like...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank marnieWisconsin
Milonegril, Owner at Banana Shout Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

Thank you very much, was a very pleasure have you and family here!
next time stay longer so we will have the time to show you some more Island secrets!
One Love
Milo Marianne and the staff!