“Always a clean, comfortable and special place!”

Firefly Beach Cottages
Ranked #34 of 85 Hotels in Negril
West Rutland
“Always a clean, comfortable and special place!”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

My bride (of 26 years) and I have been going to Firefly every year since we've been married, and have always had a great time there. First, the place is small and intimate, without all the massive concrete walkways of other places. One is always surrounded by flowers, fruit trees, and hummingbirds. The staff is incredible, doing everything they can to ensure you have a safe and comfortable stay. The beds are good, the rooms are clean, and the facilities are more than adequate. This isn't an all-inclusive, thank Heavens, where someone is trying to get you involved in things you don't want to do all the time. Rather, they will give good advice when asked, and make sure that the guest is safe. They don't allow locals on the property unless they're guests of the place. This is to eliminate problems like theft. I've had visitors allowed, but checked with the staff first, who know the people in the area. The bar is the friendliest in Negril, and prices are good. Breakfasts at the bar are individually prepared (nothing pre-cooked) and a great value. We'll continue to go there at least once a year while we're able to travel!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David E

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2011

My husband took me to Firefly for our anniversary. We were overwhelmed by the garden and by the reception from the staff. Thank you Nerissa, Joan and Maxine especially.
We had a penthouse suite with airconditioning as well as ceiling fans, kitchen, queen size bed, lovely tiled bathroom and a secluded balcony from which we could see for miles over the Caribbean Sea and the beach. Most days we watched wonderful sunsets right opposite the balcony while we tried the various drinks from the little beach bar. The beach is fantastic - it is so interesting to just walk all the way along it, stopping at stalls to see the trinkets, pictures etc.
I wish we could have stayed longer but we hope to be back one day. One last thing - swimmjing from Negril beach is the best and safest of anywhere we have ever been.

Room Tip: The penthouse suites have the best seafront location, private balconies and everything you need
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Rocklin, CA
Reviewed 5 August 2011

The beach area for Firefly is beautiful and although it's proclaimed a clothing- optional spot, no one took advantage of that. The outdoor showers are nice, and the grounds pretty. The hotel clerk was lovely and very helpful while the management was not that friendly.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Becket
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Part of our business entails guiding people on tours of ancients sites around the world...so we've slept in gracious mansions and real dumps in order to be near some of the treasures of our world.

When we get the time to vacation; a real bone settling, mind clearing, relaxing and fun vacation ....the Firefly! In fact we raise each other's spirits when times are tough by mentioning the Firefly, or Joan, Maxine, the Sykes family, Nicola, DC and the many others who year after year ( we've been 7 or 8 times ) create a warm, Safe and uniquely fun place to be yourself and let your hair down.

No, we can't say we come for the rooms, though they are well attended and clean. We don't come for an extensive haute cuisine menu, though the food is fresh, made with love and a smile. ( And all sorts of good food is just a barefoot walk down the beach ). We ultimately don't come for the beach though it is exquisite with crystal clear waters. We don't even come for the naturist aspect, though we've become spoiled by the freedom and pleasure of dipping into the azure sea buck naked. And last but not least we don't come for the free instant coffee....we save enough at Firely to indulge in a bit of give-back by paying for and looking forward to a pot of coffee freshly brewed for us each morning.

We come for the heart that is Firefly. Its in the gardens that greet with color, fragrance and just like at home - hummingbird feeders. We come for the spirit of Jamaica that is ample in the people at Firefly. From the bar and office staff who watch after us and all the guests ( they really do care ) while still making a mean dirty banana, to the housekeeping, security and grounds staff who greet with sincere warmth, to the oft present Jamaican/British family who own the Firefly....to Curtis with the fruit in a basket on her head and the beach vendors who are just folks doing their piece of getting along. We can all relate.

So if you are looking for one of the world's treasures, our experience is that the Pyramids of Giza will take your breath away, Machu Picchu will leave you soaring, Delphi will inspire....but the Firely, ah the Firely can allow you to be yourself, play with others, have fun and relax ...just as you are.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sirius3223
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 5 July 2011

I chose Firefly because of it's peaceful setting in a beautiful garden. What a bad choice I made!.

Firefly is anything but peaceful.

My room was close to the Norman Manley Speedway where cars speed along at 90mph - like a Nascar racetrack. The racket starts at 5am each morning so regardless of how late you went to bed you'll be wide awake at 5am.

I was the only guest for 10 days of my visit, and was subjected to relentless scrutiny and attention from the security guard Campbell who would stride up and down outside of my room and place himself in a chair on a balcony above my room where he would chat loudly into his cellphone all night making sleep impossible.

On more than one occasion I had to shout up at him to tone down the noise, that wasat 3am. I do not know if the guy was bored with nothing to do as there were no other guests and he wanted to exert his control, but he was a real pain.

On Sunday evening some American friends called for me to take me to the local beach party nearby. No sooner had they knocked on my door but Campbell accosted them ordering them to leave immediately, no guests were allowed he told them. I explained they would wait on the balcony I was about to collect my purse and keys. They were marched off the premises. They could not believe how aaggresive this man was.

What did he expect them to do? Wait on the speedway outside in the rain?. The bar closed at 5pm on rainy days and the place was desolate. My friends were shocked by the agressive approach of security.

I ran to get my camera to capture this, because it was hard to believe I was on vacation and not in Camp Colditz..

As soon as I left to get my camera he quickly disappeared. at the instruction of the manageresss Carrie who appeared in her hair curlers to lecture me on how none residents guests were not allowed on the premises.

Carrie would sit all day in her office with her eyes peeled to the gate, and watched my every move as I entered and exited my room.

Since I was the only guest this unwanted scrutiny became very boring indeed.

When I informed her that my fridge was not workinig she was not too interested, and told me it was not possible to provide me with another one, despite the fact there were 15 empty rooms so finding another fridge should not have been a major problem.

It was only when I showed her my food which had gone off that she finally relented and asked if I would like to move to another room, that was after three days. though I would have been just as happy to have another fridge.

The only friendly person who smiles at Firefly is the sweet maid, and Maxine the lovely lady who makes pancakes in the cafe/bar. Other than those two the atmosphere is frosty and controlling.

The fact it rained heavily throughout my stay was not a problem. Negril is lovely despite the weather, and the sun does shine occasionaly and the sunsets are beach magnificent.
What bothered me was the cold uncomfortable controlling atmospe here at Firefly which felt more like a prison camp.

Little wonder it was empty for most of my stay.

The garden is beautiful but the fact that Firefly is situated next to the speedway does not make for a relaxing vacation.

I will not return.

Room Tip: There are far better hotels on Negril Beach
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank oceanblue12
Saskatoon
Reviewed 7 March 2011

This charming hotel has a great location, although the Norman Manley "Speedway" can be very noisy at night and early in the morning.

Rooms are clean, spacious, and reasonably priced. It's not a 5-star hotel and doesn't pretend to be.

The hotel is small enough that guests and staff come to know each other, and this staff is genuinely friendly and helpful. It's also small enough that it's easy to meet other guests, almost like a B&B, but you can keep to yourself if you want to. The hotel's beach space is clothing optional in the truest sense--it's strictly your choice.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Guillaume89
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 6 March 2011

We stayed at Firefly for a week in December 2010 and had a great time. Our children felt free to explore and spent hours and hours in the sea. We had a wonderful family holiday. Clean rooms, friendly staff.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family