“Punishment Hut”

Ranked #58 of 80 Hotels in Negril
atlanta
“Punishment Hut”
Reviewed 22 July 2008

After a trek down a dark corridor, we entered into a dreary room lacking a doorknob - a series of deadbolt locks were the security. The bathroom lacked towel hangers, and the tub had no grab bars. Aesthetically, the room lacked charm, certainly not what we were expecting. The Hotel also charges per diem for the room safe, and an extra 7 1/2 percent for using AX. We stayed for 20 minutes, long enough to find another hotel. when all is said and done, the place had the overall feel of a punishment hut in a WWII POW movie. we "ate" our three-day down payment ($233.) and promptly moved to Tree House, a comparably priced hotel about 300 yards away. Foot Prints was a horrible and costly experience for nothing.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — losing $233.00
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank AtlantaWanderer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
London
Reviewed 4 July 2008

I stayed in Foote prints this summer of 2008 and have also stayed there last year in 2007. Overall if you are looking for a cheap hotel in Negril that is close to the beach and Negril's attractions, this is a good hotel. The rooms are decent, nothing fancy, and clean.
I must note however that there were a lot of flies in the eating area, and on both of my visits to this hotel, my food has been attacked by flies. At one point two flies fell into my plate leaving my food inedible. Maybe this is due to the eating area being out in the open, but I would eat somewhere else if I was to visit again.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The eating area
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BritishJamaican
fl. usa
Reviewed 4 July 2008

I stayed with my family (my wife and our 3 small children). This was supposed to be a 2 weeks vacation but i had to cut it short. On the first night i was placed in a room that was totally unacceptable. It was too small, not what I requested and everything looked and smell old. I requested and was moved to another room only to walk into a room with roaches. Knowing their refund policy I stayed nine days at this hotel hoping that management would listen to my complaints and do something about the conditions that my family and I were living in, the disturbing part was that we were paying for this. We for the most part had no hot or running water in our room. When the water pressure was enough for a shower it was cold. It has been 6 days since I left and my infant daughter is still afraid to take a shower because she thinks that it is going to be a cold shower. From the time we got there until the time we left, we never had a wash cloth for anyone in our room. It took the bathroom sink 20 mins. to drain after each use. I am not sure which one it was, but my wife called one of the females that work at the front desk to complain about the water pressure (which was non for the most part), and she was very rude to her. The rest of the staff was very nice. They did what they could to make our stay plasant. The room was very clean and the grounds was well kept. Anything that require the owners to spend some money was not done. Everything in the room was old. We had a TV that had no knobs, that require a remote to work and if the remote drops it would not work, an old fridge, the pipe fixture in the bath tub was broken off and was just sitting on top of the iron pipe that the water came from. The toilet bowl rocks, and the bathroom sink was clogged.
The thing that was most disturbing to me was on my third morning at the hotel I went to the beach, after swimming i went to the bar/resturant to have so breakfast. There was a man there that was talking very loudly for everyone to hear. He was rather upset and very rude to the staff members. He was saying that there was not any breakfast left for him to eat. Knowing that this hotel also offer all inclusive packages, I thought that the guest had a right to be upset, but I also thought that it was in poor taste the way he was handeling the problem in front of the other guests. A few moments in the converstation I heard him talking about dismissing all the staff members that worked in the kitchen and the bar. It was at that time that I knew that this rude man was the owner of the hotel. After he left the guests that were there were saying that It was obvious that he was just doing this to show off his conrol over his employees, basically he wanted us to know that he is "THE MAN" , rather sad. At no time did he discuss the fact that there were no more food for the guest, just no more for him. I must add that after about twenty complaints the only things that were fixed was the things that the staff could fix, things that would not cause the owners of foote prints to spend any money. Also with all the complaints that I had, and they were all were valid, at no time did anyone in the management staff (the foote family) contact me to try to resolve any of my issues. This hotel reminds me of a hotel that you might see on TV that is owned and opperated by a family, that will not pay the experts to do the job properly, they pay cousin Bill, who can fix the problem very cheap but it looks horrible. We stayed at foote prints for 10 days and never had a wash cloth in our room during those days, I asked but never got any. On the 9th day I was told by my travel agent that someone in management would come to see what was going on and resolve the problem. I waited all day and at about 4:00pm I told my agent after waiting, that I want to go to another hotel. Due to the short notice I could not get a room until the following day, and it cost me an additional $45.00 per day, but I gladly paid it to get away from the roach motel. This hotel should be tented to get rid to the pests. I moved the following day. The hotel is well kept by the staff, but management will not spend the money to update the furniture and equiptment, or tent the hotel so as a result you pay to live in a very clean mess, with roaches that now I'm worried I might be taking to my home. All I can say is if you choose to go good luck, but for me NEVER again.

• Liked — the employees
  • Disliked — the hotel itself, it was horrible
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
7 Thank badjamerican

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 1 February 2008

I stayed at Foote Prints a few years ago, it took me a while to get used to the hotel, the frist few nights i wanted to leave really bad! But, i stuck it out, and it was worth it! The rooms weren't very cleanly, i DID see a cockroach, and we duct-taped our door shut at night because the locks were broken. But we were only in the room to sleep so it wasn't too much of a problem. I remember it took hours to eat dinner one night, the service wasn't the best. There is a pancake place down the beach if you walk towards margaritaville that is really good. There is a hot tub above the restaurant that, for my visit, was cold :-(. But everyday we went to Margaritaville all day long, and that is what made my trip one to remember. This hotel is good for you if you are looking for a cheap place to basically just sleep at.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — It's only 2 stars, so what can you expect?
  • Stayed January 2004, travelled with family
3 Thank nsailor339
leeds
Reviewed 31 December 2007

me and my family spent 2 weeks at foote prints in aug 07 and i would like to say we LOVED IT we couldnt have asked for nicer people and the hotel was clean
the staff treated us like family and adored the children.

I would loved to say HI to everyone again
Cheryl
Michael
Adrian
Kunta

All the bar staff and the cleaning girls

AND THANKS FOR A GREAT FAMILY HOLIDAY AND LOOKING AFTER US IN NEGRIL
FROM KIRK,TONI ,MIA,RUTH,PATRECE,JERVAI,
and hope to see you all in 2008

• Liked — the beach views
  • Disliked — no entainment
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank bantonLeeds
Dublin
Reviewed 25 October 2007

On arrival was a bit wary as the place seemed very small and the door to our room was not very secure when locked, a strong gust of wind might have blown it down! The room was very basic and bathroom was not great. However we did have a tv with alot of stations and the ac was perfect. Also, although basic, the room was very clean and tidy and the bed was comfortable and clean.

The staff were great and very friendly and easy going.

However there is one big problem with this place and that is they had no security on the beach during the day/evening and in general there was a lack of security here. This meant that local unsavouries, druggies etc would approach you while you were sunbathing begging for money. We had one guy begging us saying he was starving and asked for 20US no less. We relented and gave it to him to get rid of him and he could be seen the next day drinking (am not pm) and smoking, totally off his head. He was still hanging around the Footeprints area of the beach where lots of kids were playing which is absolutely not on. None of the staff seemed to take note of this. Also some days we would come down for breakfast and there would be dreadlocked men sitting around drinking and smoking drugs at 8am, not the best environment for eating breakfast! These men seemed to have something to do with the hotel as they knew the staff well and seemed to get the drinks for free. The standard of food in the restaurant was not great and the service was only ok. The area where the food was served was not too clean. We ate there a couple of times on the first few days but then never again. There are much nicer places for cheaper down the beach with fab food.

In sum this place has alot of potential as it has a prime location and nice friendly staff but Management need to really focus on the small things they can do to greatly improve this place. As a priority they should hire a security guard for the beach to keep away local unsavouries, this would immediately make this a safer nicer place. If all the other hotels on the beach have security why cant they follow suit.

I would not stay here again. It is cheap and the rooms are clean and tidy and housekeeping could do no more, they were lovely, as were all the staff. But I would definitely pay that little bit extra in another hotel to be able to relax on the beach without any local annoyance. Also, with only one bad restaurant to eat at, therefore no choice, you have to leave the immediate area to eat.

• Liked — nothing comes to mind
  • Disliked — Bar/Restaurant, lack of security, too small
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank DublinRuthie
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2007

This place is perfectly situated on the beach, literally! the restaurant goes into the sea. Its clean and great value for money. I mean the hotel was almost free after paying for the flight. I stayed there with a girl friend, so was weiry about going being 2 young females. But everyone was so friendly, from the hotel staff, the cleaners, the security guards, too all the guys on the beach. We took time out to talk to the locals and it made our holiday. They are such genuinely nice people, they looked out for us and told us the great places to go to.
The banana pancakes they serve in the restaurant for breakie are to die for, you can't beat eating your breakfast with a back drop of the carribean sea and listening to the sound of the water splashing against the steps.
They also have a driver called Chris working for the restaurant and we used him A LOT, he took us to a great horseriding place near town that we would never have experienced if it wasn't for hIm. He was so patient waiting around for us, and he is a lovely guy. I would definately advise using him, i'm so glad we didn't book any big ,over crowded tours. This hotel is perfect for a gettaway to the carribean without breaking the bank.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank loz31
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Country Country Beach Cottages
#30 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Rooms Ocho Rios
Rooms Ocho Rios
#14 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Foote Prints on the Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!