“Endless Pool in Your Back Yard”

Home Sweet Home Resort
Ranked #31 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 17 May 2013

The best mini vacation ever, I have visited Jamaica many times and usually stay on the 7 mile beach but this time we decided to try the cliffs and OMG what an experience. I know now that I will always stay in the cliffs and most likely Home Sweet Home again and again, the staff was just like family and catering to all our needs - not that we had any!! The views are magnificent outside your room or inside your room. The sunset from the cliffs or so much better than the view from the 7 mile beach, I'm just saying...oh yeah and the food is just awesome!

It was like having an Endless Pool in you back Yard!

Room Tip: Go Now the rates of unbelievable and the best sleep I experienced in Jamaica, any room at Home Sweet...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank JCarter9839
jttaylor63, Owner at Home Sweet Home Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

We're very grateful for your positive review, thank you ever so much! When is your next trip to see us, lol? We're very excited to have you back and hope it will be soon. Thank you again for sharing your great vibes!!

Reviewed 14 May 2013

First let me say that in my 10 trips to Jamaica, I've stayed on 7 Mile Beach, 8 times,lol... This time, I'd be traveling without my sweetie and wanted to try a new spot in Negril! I was looking for a decent deal and looking forward to enjoying the 15th Annual Boardie Bash(local event), so I called Connie at Connie's Country Western Pub and asked suggestions. She quickly responded, "How about Home Sweet Home Resort"? "They have new owners, the place is on the rise and they've got a great sale, right now"! Booking Home Sweet Home Resort in the West End Cliffs of Negril turned out to be an awesome choice. Big Jim picked me up from the airport in Mo'Bay and kept up a positive chatter all the way to Negril, stooping for some of Bigga's in Green Island ... As I drove past my "normal" spots, Rooms on The Beach and to a lesser extent the RIU Palace Tropical Bay, I relived fond memories, but was excited about my new spot!

When I 1st arrived at Home Sweet Home, i noticed something different... The gates(Owners direction)were open to the resort! In the Cliffs you often drive by nice spots, but the gates are closed to outside eyes... The grounds were well kept and the property at 1st glance was a 7, out of ten for me.The properties manager Tina greeted me with a huge smile and within 10 minutes, i was checked into my Seaview Queen Deluxe room! I've read that Home Sweet Home Resort is the perfect example of a classic Jamaican resort... If so, then I like classic Jamaican Resorts!

Tina accompanied me to my room and answered various questions I had about the resort and staying in the cliffs..My room was nice, spotless clean and I can see why the "rustic"(wooden furniture) was given in various reviews. Here's how I viewed the room... Hmmm, nice bed comfortable, flat screen TV, bathroom spotless...Large Wardrobe Cabinet with plenty of shelves, hangers and a room safe. I was like, this is gonna be pretty good...THEN I OPENED THE "Gone Like The Wind" double doors to my second floor patio and time stopped... The panoramic view of the Caribbean Sea was breath taking!!!! I immediately regretted that my Wife of almost 23 years was not here with me. In my minds eye, I saw romantic mornings, holding hands, her sipping coffee and me Sangster's Original and Appleton, as we planned our day! Thank Goodness, i videoed on this trip, so that she would get to see.

About 30 minutes after unpacking, I was ready to explore, a bit... Before I could get out of the gate Tina stopped me, asking, If I was ready for my complimentary Rum Punch...YA MON, I'M READY,lol! That's where I met Marvelous Monty, the bartender, a maker of strong drinks and a man with the gift of gab! 2 thumbs up for Monty, who I suggested get a Facebook Page, so that his "fans" could keep up with him... Monty indicated he was Internet "shy" and I suggested he get over it,lol...Loloya and Shelarie were cool at the bar as well!

The owners, John and Kim Taylor(Virginia U.S.)had just arrived back at the resort earlier the same day and were simply awesome... Mrs. Taylor shared their vision for having a Bed and Breakfast and how they came to purchase Home Sweet Home...She was such a sweetheart! John, her husband was very, very cool. I can't picture another resort of this magnitude where the owner offers to go snorkeling with you(Awesome Snorkeling/Jumping RIGHT from in front of Home Sweet Home and IT's FREE!!! )and show you the ropes and his favorite spots!!!

I will never be able to write everything I really liked about this place, the staff and the vibe, but there is one part that will eventually join the legends in the Cliffs! That is the restaurant where Chef Terry creates some amazing food... This woman would give Chef Emeril a run for his money...So fresh...So delicious! Lawd Have Merrrrrrcy! Shouts to Dean in the kitchen as well!

My house Keeper Nadeen did an excellent unobtrusive job, as my room was always clean and she and Samatia, the other housekeeper were very pleasant!

Oh yeah, did I mention the view and the incredible free snorkeling and great food and nice people? I guess I did,lol! I'd hang out here again in a heartbeat and will now spilt my Negril trips between the Beach and Home Sweet Home Resort in the West End Cliffs!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Smokinbbb

We’re so happy to read about your memorable stay. It was such an honor to host you and we’re thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations. As expected, we're extremely pleased that all of our staff took care of you!!!!. Thank you for your review, we can’t wait to welcome you back!!! Hope your other half will be able to join you as well, would really love to meet her too!

Reviewed 10 May 2013

My first visit to Jamaica was in February for a one week stay on West End Road, Negril. I didn't get my full taste of Negril as a result and was pleasantly surprised to find unbeatable and low season dead zone type prices at the end of April for a second and longer visit.

Whereas last visit, I was in a rather dowdy and dark room at another inn, HSH had some of the freshest lightly scented linens, curtains and fluffy towels I've ever slept on. The washroom could use updating but everything worked, nothing was broken, nothing leaked. I loved the fresh little plush bath mat; something my last place didn't get right. On arrival at HSH, I was warmly welcomed by Tina, The Manager and Chris, her father and the estate driver. A welcome rum punch was kindly thrust into my hand, the room was ready and waiting with seaview on the ground floor. What a difference in quality of establishment.

The food prepared by Terrie, "Bomb" and company was always scrumptious and prepared to order. The prices were slightly lower than what they could probably get away with which added to the value. The drinks were measured religiously by Monty (Not Python), Latoya and Sheila who promptly fell head over heels in love with me! The cliff side was well kept, Andre the gardener was constantly maintaining his shrubbery and the room attendants prefer to dance to classic Motown. How many ducks and birds they made out of my towels? I lost count.

I was sad to leave the place and I'm not hard to please.

Room Tip: No spa/fitness centre to speak of; take a walk.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Dan C
jttaylor63, Owner at Home Sweet Home Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Thank you for such comments and feedback. We all really enjoyed having you! You had some of the best stories to share and a great sense of humor. And, you're correct that we are continuing to complete our upgrades and renovations as the bathroom is next. Will we see you again soon? We hope so! We were sad to see you go! More scrumptious dishes on your next stay perhaps will entice you to come sooner rather than later. ;o)

Reviewed 7 May 2013

We came to Jamaica for 3 weeks and Home Sweet Home was our home base during that time and we loved it!!! The wonderful staff was at your beck and call, they were there to please us, no task was too difficult to do. As a guest we became part of the family. The new owners, Kim & John are working very hard to make improvements to the place. The sunsets from the cliff were incredible (no need to go to Rick's), as were the views. Chris, their driver is more than willing to show you the sights of his beautiful country, no problem, mon! If you are looking for a place away from the beach and children, then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Their web site has great room pictures but Room 9 was ground level, great ocean view, close to pool...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your fantastic review! We so enjoyed having you all for 3 weeks. It was so really nice to have time to spend, relax and enjoy yourselves. We're sad that we may not see you again next year as we know you have an every other year vacation plan in place but, we sure hope to see you in 2015! :o) Departure day was a sad day as we realized were weren't going to see you to say 'Good Morning' the next day after enjoying that for a nice long time.
And....the signature Barracuda drink is in the next phase of being perfected! :o))

Reviewed 4 May 2013

After a very long day of travel we finally ended up at home sweet home at around 10:45pm. The entrances were locked so we had to wait for the security officer to open up for us. To my surprise the place was totally closed down and the night bartender Monti had been waiting for us to arrive to give us the key to the room. Seems a little crappy for the office managers to leave and keep the night bartender on to do their work. Monti told us everything was closed up for the night but offered to get us some drinks before he left, which I thought was really nice. Trouble is, we were starving!!! I had no idea they closed everything up so early and just took off. Guess no dinner that night.

I don't really know the statistics about Jamaican crime but I will say that the hotels are basically built behind fortresses and I wouldn't dare walk out on the streets after sunset. We walked down the street to the corner store for ice (that's a whole other issue in Jamaica) and beverages two times and made sure we did it in a hurry.

First I'll address my issues/concerns with the hotel. Upon arrival I noticed there were not the usual amenities most hotels provide. There was no hairdryer, no shampoo or conditioner, no fridge and certainly no ice machine. I know that this hotel was taken over a few months ago, and they are certainly improving the place, but the owners should be very aware that these are things traditional hotels provide. The hotel room itself wasn't luxurious at all but I knew that when I booked the room and I must say I really enjoyed our french doors and the balcony. I was not happy about having to spend extra money for things like shampoo which I couldn't take back on a flight with me.
I did have some issue with the service we received. I am in the hospitality industry myself and even after knowing things are a little slower in Jamaica I found the rate of service just unacceptable. All the servers and bartenders were really friendly and accommodating but moved SOOOO SLOW!! Every meal we would sit at the table for over 10 minutes without even being greeted...thank god we had a wonderful view to keep zen:) One morning we ordered breakfast along with coffee and an orange juice and it took at least 10 minutes to get our drinks. Another night we ordered pre-dinner cocktails and waited and waited, finally she came back and told us they were out of the juice for the cocktail, that's fine. We ordered another drink, and again waited and waited. Guess what? Out of another ingredient. After 20 minutes of waiting for one drink my fiancee just asked for some sort of vodka drink and the bartender just looked incredibly confused and kept pointing to the drink menu. I believe we finally ended up with vodka, cran and pineapple.....so much for exotic fun drinks. Chris, the designated driver for the hotel was overcharging for his services(although he will also be featured in the likes section of this review). He recommended we go to Mayfield falls in the hills, and we were stoked. The excitement soon wore out once we realized it cost money to take the tour and that they want $40 for a disc of pictures and oh yeah, the tour guide also expects a tip. I honestly feel that maybe this place was run by his friends and we got had. Oh, not to mention it cost us $150.00 for the cab alone. That should have been something told to us; especially since another couple told us they hired a cab driver for nearly 3 hrs for $60.00. We didn't like being swindled because we were tourists; I expected more. We really enjoyed Monti the bartender the first few days, and were sad that he wouldn't be back til the night before we left. When he did he acted like he didn't even know us and provided poor service. It was a let down for sure. Home sweet home started exposing itself as a place that didn't really care about you, but would pretend hoping you'd fall for it. The 2nd day that we tried to snorkel the water was infested with jellyfish. My fiancee got stung three times and even after telling the front office, there were no signs or warnings put up for the other guests. Oh yeah, I almost forgot that the cleaning staff lifted a pack of cigarettes from our room during cleaning. Such a dumb thing to steal and cause mistrust the rest of the stay.

Now on to the good. Sorry for the long ramble of negative. First I'd like to acknowledge the good staff that was there, especially Tina. There is something nice about being greeted by name. There was another sweet woman that worked there that actually hugged us when we left. That left a really nice impression. Chris, the driver, although overpriced was a wonderful guy and such a delight to meet. In fact he was the only person that really seemed authentic when congratulating us on our engagement. Just make sure you negotiate prices with him before getting in the car:) The cliffs are just amazing! Breathtaking! I thought it was great that you could rent snorkeling gear for only $5 from the front desk. It's a must and the true highlight of our trip. On the 2nd day after my fiance got stung Tina cut up some fresh Aloe and even chilled some for later. The hotel was nice and quiet, no after hour music keeping us awake. This location is perfect for relaxation, and we never really felt like we had to leave to have a good time. Most importantly.....THE FOOD. It was amazing. Everything was so fresh and seasoned to perfection, and not overpriced.

Overall we enjoyed our time here but I don't ever feel the need to come back. The pro's and con's just didn't work out that way. It was certainly a wonderful experience though and I'm glad I came.

I chose terrible on the option for fitness center and spa because they didn't have them. I also chose poor for the room section not because it was in horrible shape but for the lack of normal amenities.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank christin f

We regret to hear that your stay was not as expected. We strive to uphold the highest standards of service and quality; however, it seems your visit was not indicative of the norm. As hoteliers we do realize that there is always room for improvement and your feedback is very much appreciated.

In regards to our driver’s pricing – in Jamaica there is a difference between tours: there are group tours and private tours. Our driver on property does both types of tours based upon the guest’s request. Travelling as a group will save you more as its going to be less per person charge. But we can assure you that Chris was not being dishonest or taking advantage of you.
We apologize for the slow service you received in the dining room and the mistrust you felt from the housekeepers. We want to make sure future guests do not experience the similar issues that you outlined in your review and will take action by notifying the necessary departments. We do request that while on property you notify us of anything that doesn’t meet your expectations so that we can ensure you get the most enjoyment from your stay.

We’re very happy that you found snorkeling from our cliffs amazing, and the quality of our food delicious. We are always looking for ways to improve our resort to exceed the expectations of our clientele. We will take into account all of your feedback as we continue to improve our service.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

We loved it!

My husband and I stayed here in February 2013 and was so impressed we came back again at the end of our 3 weeks and stayed again before flying home.

Our stay was just brilliant.

The hotel is in an excellent location right on the cliffs sea front. Our room was spacious and clean complete with stunning views of the sea. We swam off the cliffs below the hotel which was just great. Having breakfast and sometimes dinner in the restaurant overlooking the wide expanse of ocean was just magical. The food is delicious too.

Nothing is too much trouble. The Owners John and Kim as well as the staff were all fantastic. Tina, the manageress, was lovely and runs everything very efficiently, her father Chris is just a wonderful person. He is also a safe, trustworthy driver who we would recommend to anyone.

At the end of our stay with Home Sweet Home, Chris drove us all the way to Treasure Beach for the next leg of our holiday. They were especially helpful when we really needed it! Towards the end of our holiday we had checked into a hotel in Montego Bay which we didn’t like at all (terrible room and service etc etc). We called John, and even though it was late at night, he immediately arranged things and Chris kindly picked us up that same night and drove us all the way back to Home Sweet Home even though his son was unwell at the time (we found that out later). We will be forever grateful.

Staying at Home Sweet Home is wonderful, peaceful, safe and quiet. You really can’t go wrong with this place as you are not just a number when you stay, you get a personal service here.

lt is easy to get to Long Bay Beach and Negril town. We walked when we first arrived (about a 20-25 minute leisurely walk) and then hired a motorbike the rest of our time as we wanted to explore a bit more. We hired our bike from Gas Motorbike Hire next door, a family business run by Gas (yep that is his real name). Gas is great and really helpful if you need advice about the area. There are plenty of nice eating places on the cliffs as well as down on Long Bay. We used the ATM's in Negril town no problem.

Long Bay and Bloody Bay are both stunning beaches. We had no problem at all with vendors on the beach...they were all courteous and we joked with them all the time. They were completely fine when you said 'no thanks'. At the end of the day they are just trying to do business just like anyone would anywhere else in the world. So, if you like something buy it, if you don't just be polite and move on.

Thanks again to the John, Kim and all the staff at Home Sweet Home for making our stay truly memorable. We will be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Doctorbird_13

Thank you both! You both are the most lovely people and we too very much enjoyed spending time with you, chatting, laughing and all. We're absolutely delighted that you stayed with us and enjoyed Jamaica. We work very hard towards exceeding our guests expectations at all times as our quest for exceptional service is a primary focus, as well as achieving a level of guest comfort and well-being for all. Thanks to you both! Hope to see you real soon! :o)

Reviewed 4 April 2013 via mobile

It Is A Great Place To Stay At, Awesome Location On The Cliffside. We Woke Up To An Amazing View Everymorning. I Would Definitely Stay There Again. Staff Makes You Feel Like You Are Right At Home. Monty Is An Awesome Bartende, Both Ted And Terry Are Amazing Cooks. Tina Was A Helpful Receptionist And Helped Us Book Our SnorkelIng Tour And A Massage Right At Our Balcony. Latoya And Shelagh Are So Helpful. Kim Was Very WelComing Also. I totally Recommend ThiS hotel. :D!!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Maribel1331

Thank you so much for a glowing review. You all were tons of fun! It was so fun to hear about all the fun you had on your excursions too. Hope to see you soon!