“Peace, Quiet with a Spectacular View”

Home Sweet Home Resort
Ranked #31 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Peace, Quiet with a Spectacular View”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at Home Sweet Home and are once again returning the end of February. We are very excited about a return trip...Our memories of this place only brings a smile. Prior to our first visit, we had checked out the website, talked to the owner, Charlie, and read the reviews. ...But all the research had not prepared us for the beauty of this quaint resort. The minute we were driven through the gate, I knew I was in for a vacation of peace, quiet and relaxation. There was a beautiful courtyard and a charming restaurant/bar. The breeze was blowing and the cliff view was amazing. It is a perfect place for someone who needs to get away from the hotel scene that offers high rises, long hallways/walkways of room after room and large groups of people.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I love being at Home Sweet Home. This is my 5th time at the resort. I sit on the balcony and enjoy the most beautiful ocean views, swimming below the cliffs is amazing and the food is wonderful. But one of the most important features of the resort is that Charlie and his staff can't do enough to keep their guests happy and content. I always stay in the penthouse suite, it is a beautiful room, quite and relaxing. If your going to stay at the resort, try this room, it's incredible. Thanks Charlie and everyone for always making my stay wonderful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jo M
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed a home sweet home for one night & even that was too long! This place needs to be torn down & updated in every way. I was shocked & disgusted when I was taken to the room, which had water stains, cheap bedding, horrible furniture. I paid $130 us for this place which a a discounted rate...this place should be no more than $50. With the exception of Tina, the staff seem unfriendly & disinterested. I've lost respect for tripadvisor when I noticed that this hotel" got an award of excellence! Based on what I'm wondering? I feel that I can no longer trust tripadvisor when I see it give such a horrible hotel...which is not much better than a motel an excellence award. I would recommend this place to my enemy only!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jaycee852
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We stayed here for two nights in January 2014. Unfortunately, we left and went to another resort for the rest of our 8 day vacation, as we felt Home Sweet Home was not at all what we were lead to believe through the website and other reviews. Apparetnly there has been an abrupt change in ownership and the hotel is now being run by tthe original owner, Charlie. Charlie is a really good guy and was very understanding of our disappointment in our stay. I think he is doing the best he can after being thrust back into running the place on short notice. During our stay, the hotel had no liquor license, which was a huge negative to us..nor was there enough coffee for 4 of us to have a cup of coffee our first morning, another non-negotiable while on holidays. The two "suites" we had were in a state of disrepair and although cute and homey, needed some work, such as outlets that work, a good cleaning, lights that worked, showerhead, ect..small things, but they all add up and at $300 a night - we expected a much nicer room. The hot tub was out of order as well during out stay, so we can't comment on that. We only saw one other guest there while we were there, so it felt very isolated and empty - and leaving to walk down that busy road was a nightmare..not a relaxing walk at all. There are aslo some dogs (I lost count at 6 in one yard) right across the street that basically barked all night long, very annoying, so instead of hearing the nice waves, you hear that.
All in all, its a cute place, with tons of potential - the view is amazing and the bones are good, it just needs some work as well as a drop in the rates until then. Its by no means a 4 or 5 star "resort" - more like a basic 3 star hotel room.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank sweatpeas5101
charlie r, Owner at Home Sweet Home Resort, responded to this review, 2 February 2014
Thank you for a very thoughtful and honest review. I would like to correct one comment , we do have a liquor license and the bar and restaurant are open for food and drinks.
Also, this guest also booked when the previous operators prices were in effect, and again, I am sorry, I have lowered prices for all the rooms and believe we offer a much better value now.
Your review was very kind and actually understanding, as I know you were disappointed with your experience at Home Sweet Home. Please know we are doing all we can to make your stay here a better value and a better experience.
Surf City, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 January 2014

This place is not the Hilton... it's more inviting and in the best spot in Jamaica. The food is excellent. The atmosphere is delightful! You can get whatever you want here with a smile. I will never stay anywhere else!

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank oysterplatter
thanks for your review. Such a positive opinion makes all the hard work of myself and staff worthwhile. Your experience is what we try to provide for everyone. thanks again
Reviewed 29 January 2014

The bad: it is EXPENSIVE for what you are getting. The rooms themselves are fine by my standards, but for the same money you can stay in a modern, well-appointed Hampton Inn almost anywhere in the States and the room would be a significant upgrade. But this is Jamaica, so "no problem, mon."

When I first arrived, there were not many other guests, and I did not feel entirely SAFE the first night as I heard no one else around and while the hotel has a gate (it's right on the busy West End Rd), there was no evidence the gate is ever closed or that there's any security overnight. My suggestion would be for there to be clear information in each room for when the gate is closed and how a guest who is out after closing makes arrangements to be let in upon their return. Then I think the gate should be closed each night.

The restaurant was AVERAGE or above average for the West End in price, but below average for value, so I pretty much felt forced to leave for many of my meals. The good news is there are a lot of good places within close walking distance (recommendations include Jenny's Cakes (amazing juices and cakes), Chicken Lavish, Canoe Bar (overlooking the sea) &--for a splurge--Blue Mahoe at the Spa Retreat just 100 yards down the road.) There's also a good market a short ways up the road. I should have gone ahead and paid to have a fridge put in my room, then I would have had more options and had to walk less. I have no problem walking the West End Rd during daylight--with care--but I wouldn't recommend it after dark. So another suggestion would be to have better clear information about taxis for the evenings. Another reviewer mentions there was an on-site driver…I was never made aware of this.

The good: after feeling a lot of hesitation in the first 24 hours and considering moving elsewhere, I started looking around and had some better insights. First of all, the grounds are REALLY LOVELY and the buildings are in good shape and artfully done. I had a beautiful view of the pool and the ocean. I used the pool several times and really enjoyed it. I also snorkeled in the ocean and there was some great marine life there right off the Cliffs at Home Sweet Home (that said, access to the ocean is STEEP. This is not a place I would be comfortable bringing young kids, although there was another family there when I was staying who were attempting to manage it.)

CHARLIE is a great guy. We had fun talking about life in general, life in Jamaica, music, and played some music together. I really believe he'll try just about anything to make you feel at home and accommodated. So I feel like I left Home Sweet Home with a new friend.

And, although I didn't always like having to walk the West End Rd., I really liked the LOCATION of Home Sweet Home and being able to walk to all the good restaurants noted above.

I think some changes and alterations are in order, but Charlie's heart is in the right place and honestly, it's a GREAT SPOT. I just think you have to think of it more as akin to a "home stay" than a true resort, so best to know what you're getting into in advance and whether you like that kind of thing. Charlie is a builder and has built the place himself over the last 30 years. He's a good builder and has a good eye. But he's not a hotelier by profession so if you're expecting all of the nuances of a high end service-oriented resort, you won't "get" this place at all.

Finally, you'll enjoy it best if you are satisfied with the group you're traveling with. If you can make your own fun, or (as in my case) are traveling alone and are comfortable with the downtime to yourself, you'll really appreciate just how "CHILL" this place is. If you are expecting a pop-up social scene with hip, swanky bar and nightlife, or lots of staff to chase you around asking after your moment to moment needs, that's not here. (But all that is a short walk down the road at Blue Mahoe!)

I have no reservations about returning, but I'd love to see the suggestions I've made here (and one additional one mentioned to Charlie about the choice of music in rotation at the bar) acknowledged. I think this Home can be made even better!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Festymon
Thanks for a writing such a thoughtful and well written review. I am sorry about the price, you booked when the previous operator's prices were in effect, I have lowered the rate for the room you were in by 30%, I believe its a much better value now. We are also looking at restaurant prices, and we will be modifying those as well We do have a security guard , and your suggestion about informing guest as to how the gate works is a good one. It was a pleasure meeting you, seems we are on the same journey of self-enlightenment and your support and understanding was wonderful. ie, " there are no coincidences '. I believe I have made a friend as well, thank you for the book, I will stay in touch.
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 January 2014

The good: We had rebooked last minute from another hotel on the cliffs. We had high hopes reading the reviews. The room itself is nice, basic and not frilly. The people were extremely nice and I really enjoyed getting to know everyone. The cliffs are difficult to beat, you can swim out directly and see coral teeming with fish. We had a standard room with a king sized bed. The bed was comfortable and relaxing. I really liked having a porch. I felt completely safe all the time. You can bolt the french doors from the top in addition to locking them if you are worried. The safe is nice to have. They did a good job with their bookings. The hotel wasn't full during our stay and I could definitely tell that they had booked the rooms so you didn't have someone on top of you when you could easily be in a room where you wouldn't be annoyed. Meaning, Tina the manager is looking out for you. The views from all of the rooms are nice.
The bad: NO SHUTTLE ANYWHERE! They have a driver that will take you places for $10 a pop. Since there are not a lot of other food locations handy it gets really expensive really fast. We didn't end up eating at the restaurant with the exception of breakfast since it was pretty expensive for island food and we needed to watch our budget. Since they have a driver, it is a little awkward to say we would rather take a route taxi. The problem was, bless his heart, Godwin never took us where we asked him to go! This really annoyed my husband, while I simply took it as he was showing us the local places.
As many reviews of Negril have mentioned, the cliff road is not great for walking. We did end up walking a lot towards town (much wider at nearly 3 feet of clearance). Walking towards the lighthouse and Ricks is not advised.
IT IS EXPENSIVE for what you get. No breakfast nor do you have a fridge in the hotel. We only stayed for a week, but for much longer it would have been really nice to have a fridge for beer and just snacks like yogurt for the morning. This was minor thing for a couple of days since we were away from the hotel most of the time. If we had stayed much longer I feel like it would have really annoyed me.
Other tips: I didn't care the pool wasn't huge because I would rather swim in the ocean and lay on the cliffs, if this sort of thing bugs you, it might not be the place for you.
The hot tub is not always on due to how expensive electricity is on the island. If you want to hot tub make sure you ask for assistance turning it on before you want to use it because it takes a while to heat up.
Coffee is usually ready by 7 even if the place isn't formally open.... which makes it nice.
The shower and sink use the same drain so if you have taken a shower and use the sink or vice versa it will drain a bit slower than normal, so don't worry just let it take a little time.

Room Tip: Our room a superior king room was nice with a view of the pool and cliffs. The rooms on the end (I a...