“Loved it!!!!”

Home Sweet Home Resort
Ranked #33 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 11 March 2009

HSH is in the area of Negril called the cliffs. It doesn't have any of frills of the All_Inclusives which makes it so romantic. It's the perfect hideaway. When my boyfriend and I pulled in and saw the view, I was like okay, let's take it. But when the agent took us to our room, I felt like I was home. All the rooms have ocean view, we had a cushy king-size bed, nice furniture, flat panel tv, and HOT WATER! Everything was perfect. We spent a wonderful two nights. I love HSH. Will definitely come back and the rates are very good.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank karbAtlanta

Reviewed 25 February 2009

Inna excellent location, this hotel is great. Beautiful place with a special jamaican style. The restaurant is very good, great food and service (big up Kerry and Ann!). The rooms have a view of the sea and the place just make you feel IRIE.

Jah Luv
dubdem sound system (Brazil)

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dubdem
Reviewed 23 January 2009

With the number of hotels at affordable prices in Negril, you have to be crazy to waste your vacation here. things have not been updated since 1974. The only way I would consider this hotel again would be if I stayed in the deluxe room with the great view. i read trip advisor before going and boy was I steered wrong, which makes me really wonder who is actually writing theses reviews. I was even asked not to write a bad review here on my departure. Maybe they do this to everyone. The view from the cliffs is AMAZING, but it can be seen at a more modern place down the road

Stayed: July 2008
3  Thank the0b
Reviewed 22 January 2009

Stayed at Rm. 11, family of four, there is enough space for six people.
The pros: 1) Awesome ocean view, feels like you are almost hugging the water when out in the balcony. Loved having our breakfast in the balcony; on-site restaurant prepares good breakfast, , very calming and relaxing to just sit by the balcony. 2) wonderful staff- friendly and accomodating , from driver Chris driving us to/from airport, Charmaine at office, Terry and the girls in the restaurant, house-keeping does good job with cleaning room. Reservation/arangement directly from owner went smoothly 3) reasonably -priced considering the above pros.

The cons: 1) The place sooner or later needs maintainance works, paint chipping off walls, rusted locks, garden can look better. Our toilet was in the upper floor, noise of the toilet flush in the middle of the night can wake you up. 2) awkward snorkelng area- difficult to use stair for water entry/exit ,with the wave breaking right on the stair area. We walked to Xtabi to snorkel several times. Xtabi has better stairs and calmer water with good food at the restaurant and fun to hang around nice staff.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2009

My favorite hotel in the world. Frankly I'm used to spending more and I generally stay at 4 stars when I travel. This is a bit more humble. When you stay at the big luxury hotels in the area you loss something, you feel trapped, and you miss the local vibe. When you walk out of a big luxury hotel you get hit on by hustlers. Not so when you stay in the "cliffs area"... I am able to just relax and blend in at Home Sweet Home. I always feel safe.
The food is great... no really, the food in the area is really great!! We walk or get a cab ($7 us) to the beach if we want. But I like swimming/ snorkeling in the cliffs area... no loud music, no hustlers, just mellow. My work is plenty crazy... I love this hotel because it is very relaxing. They have a driver that works for the hotel. He is easy to hang with and will take you anywhere for a very fare price. Set aside a day with him to show you real Jamaica.
I've traveled a lot and would argue that the penthouse sweet is the best room, with the best view in ALL of Jamaica. The rooms next to the penthouse are real bargains. Bring old clothes, and a guitar!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Willienowtravels
Reviewed 5 January 2009

We biked to Home Sweet Home when we were escaping a dive that we were staying in close to the beach, and we were thrilled that HSH had a room available. Our room was spacious and nicely designed. The views of the sea from our room and the grounds were gorgeous. I still miss falling asleep to the sound of the sea lapping at the cliff below.

The staff was wonderful. Charmaine was sweet and helpful, and Terry--the bar/restaurant owner--is the coolest, as is her assistant Kerry. We had a blast hanging out with them on New Year's Eve, watching the fireworks from our own cliff's steps, and we miss them now that we're back home in NYC.

We loved staying in the West End in general because we could stroll down the road for authentic Jamaican cuisine anytime, there are lots of restaurants nearby--even right across the street. And Terry's serves delicious drinks, meals, breakfasts and fresh mint tea (really fresh, mint picked right there as you're watching). Home Sweet Home seems to attract other mellow guests who want a comfortable vacation, but who also want to actually experience Jamaica and get to know local neighbors (unlike at an all-inclusive or other posh resort). The pool and lawn was often free of guests because everyone's off seeing Negril or the surrounding area, making the relatively small grounds feel private when you want to sunbathe or watch the sunset close to your room.

Small complaints: we had to jiggle our toilet's handle after every flush because the tank was always running--annoying; the poolside furniture was pretty worn, as was the hammock--not so luxurious; the towels were bleached clean but had seen better days--texture like lumpy sandpaper.

All in all, we had a wonderful time and felt at home at Home Sweet Home!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sjlovelee
Reviewed 27 December 2008

It had been six years since we visited the Cliffs in Negril and were anxious to return. The road on the cliffs now are paved which is good for the area, but the noise level of the constant traffic was not good. Most properties out there, including HSH are right on the road, so you will hear the traffic all night. Acrossd the street from the property is a private home with at least five dogs that BARK all night long. It is so irritating. It is not management's fault of course, but something really needs to be done about it. It is a real buzz kill when you are staying on the cliffs for peace and quiet.
The staff, Charmaine, at the front desk was always smiling and helpful. Clean beach towels were always available from the office as well as nice fins for snorkeling. Dino, who took care of the grounds was up early every day cleaning the pool and raking the grounds, and was always there to address concerns or help in any way he could, and Terry, who runs the restaurant now and her assistant Kerry really are wonderful people. Terry cooked a wonderful Jamaican Christmas dinner for 12 of us on Christmas Eve, and we will never forget the evening. It was delicious and the people we shared the evening with so much fun. Terry is a great girl and I hope she is successful with her restaurant.
Our rooms were cleaned every day, and nicely so, and clean, very nice towels replaced daily.
HSH itself is looking a bit worn, and needs some repairs. For example, the chairs around the pool are old and the cushions do not fit properly. The rope hammock is very old and not at all comfortable. the two Adirondack chairs look lovely facing the sea, but are so uncomfortable (and OLD) that no one sat in them. The door on the bathroom by the pool was completely off it's hinges and you had to prop it up with a rock if you wanted to use the facility.
There are safes in the rooms which is a major plus. You agree to a $50 fee if you loose the key during your stay, which is perfectly understandable. One safe in one room that I know of was held together with one hinge (the other one was broken)
The walkway from the the rooms to the public areas had some lights that illuminated your walk. Others just didn't work, period.
The landscaping has taken a hit from the last hurricane, I guess. I could visualize how really pretty and quaint the place would be lush vegetation, new or at least cleaned up beach chairs, a new hammock, a fixed bathroom door, and new Adirondacks. The front gate, which I don't think was ever closed, but I don't know for sure, really needs painting. There is some construction debris (for lack of a better description) that could/should be removed from the property. It's an eyesore.
The location is definitely an A+ for watching sunsets, and for jumping off the cliffs .
If you bring earplugs (and I am not kidding) you will sleep much better than if you do not.
In this economy, with occupancy so low throughout the island , every resort is lowering their prices. Competition for room nights is going to be steep. The owner of this property should take a hard look around and do at least the cosmetic things that need attention and try and address the barking dog issue across the street that is really , really annoying.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple