“perfect home away from home!!!!”

Home Sweet Home Resort
Ranked #29 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Ashland, Wisconsin
“perfect home away from home!!!!”
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Located on the west end of Negril- I love the relaxed, kicked back vibe of the cliffs. And Home Sweet Home is my choice destination in Jamaica. Host/ owner Charlie provides a wonderful atmosphere- he's very laid back and projects an 'all is good' vibe. Plus, he's a pretty good gutarist- so, all you musisian types, make sure and pack that string instrument because you don't want to miss jammin' w/ Charlie!! The staff was a real treat. Terry's Jamaican breakfasts were outstanding. Somehow there is nothing better then a cup or two of Blue Mountain Coffee served by Sycamore and then treated to a leasurely, casual meal. Dinner there was also great- altough there are a number of nice spots within walking distance. The rooms were clean and roomy.
Both my wife and I love to snorkle and this area on the clffs provided some great scenery- lots of fish and crystal clear water.
Normally, we tend to go to the island every 2-3 years, however, we are talking about an every year vaca at Home Sweet Home.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
new brunswick, nj
Reviewed 12 February 2011

nice hotel. great location, perfect sea access, nice staff. the penthouse upgrade is very worthwhile.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 6 February 2011

We read the many wonderful reviews of HSH and booked two nights during our week long stay in Negril. The website is well done, photos are beautiful and reviews very positive. We were excited for our upcoming stay...

We are so disappointed with HSH. The website photos are not what it is today. They were taken long ago when the courtyard was lush and beautiful! And for all of the great reviews on the website and TripAdvisor...who is writing this?! The green grass is now brown (if there is any at all) and the flowers are mostly dead. The flower pots contain dead plants and at times just soil. The trees have a lot of dead, brown spots. Looking at the courtyard from our balcony was such a disappointment. The grounds have been totally neglected. Cinder blocks and building material debris laying around, fence posts falling over, thatched roof over the outdoor shower missing, ill fitting cushions for lounge chairs, wooden outdoor chairs broken, hot tub same temperature as pool and the list goes on...the pool however was clean. Our room was clean and nice too.

The first morning we were all asked to eat our breakfast on our own balcony because food inspectors were supposed to be paying a visit...ok then. Food and coffee were delicious. Had to pay $2 extra for a second cup of joe.

We spent the day poolside watching Charlie (the owner) running around looking stressed and overwhelmed. Something about the toilet in the suite...had no clue what was coming our way...

After a nice evening eating at Rockhouse we returned to our room at HSH. We were greeted by a horrendous stench coming from our bathroom. The smell of sulfur and sewer! It was rather late in the evening so rather than looking for Charlie, we used towels to cover the bathtub and sink drains, closed the toilet seat lid, closed the bathroom door and placed towels along the bottom of the door, all in the attempt to quarrantine the smell. It didn't help whatsoever. In addition to the smell, we listened to 4 or 5 neighborhood dogs bark ALL NIGHT LONG. My boyfriend slept with his IPOD on, I had ear plugs in and we used the bedsheet to cover our noses. It was a terrible night. The next morning at breakfast we spoke with other unhappy travelers who experienced the same terrible night we had. We learned that newly installed toilets that were not sealed properly were the cause of the horrible smell.

Upon checking out, we were charged $5 for a towel that was apparently too dirty that it could not be bleached clean. When Tina, the front desk woman, left the office to get change for our towel charge, I noticed a food safety inspection letter on the counter dated 1-11-11. HSH received numerous violations and was non compliant in many areas. It was clearly stated that HSH was not to prepare or serve food until the violations were corrected. Boy, were we happy to be returning to the beach.

Charlie never gave us an explanation as to why our room smelt so awful and never once apologized. The management is bad, the place is rundown and we would not recommend staying here. It has potential and may have been very nice in the past, but as of today it needs a lot of work.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OutdoorAJ
, Owner at Home Sweet Home Resort, responded to this review, 10 February 2011
This review was a surprise. This was a young couple from my hometown and I tried to give them special attention. Some of the points made here are valid, and some are just plain untrue.
The grounds: true, we had some severe storms early fall and the salt spray burned the grass and many plants on the property. This happens sometimes ,in the fall. Right now, about 30 percent of the front lawn is brown, it all comes back in time with watering. The plants are recovering nicely with leaves and flowers, which we use to put in the rooms, which we did today. Regarding the rest, most of my guest comment on how beautiful this property is.
Restaurant: true, we have an annual inspection, its routine and usually there is something to address, we completed these things and now have our license.
The room, smells , etc. I and my manager , Tina, asked these guest everyday if everything was ok, we make it a point to ask all of our guest this as a matter of business. We want to know if anything needs our attention. They never once complained about anything to us. They were here for 2 days, if the room was as bad as they say, I would not have stayed a second day and would certainly have let mgmt. know about it, again, we asked and the answer was always , things are fine. I am typing this on my laptop in room 2, their room, and there is no foul order. We have installed new high efficient toilets and in another building , one worked loose and the seal was broken and that created an odor, we repaired that and that solved that. I have owned and operated this hotel for 30 years, if I treated guest the way they say, and my rooms were as bad as they say, I would not be in business today. Both the tone and content of their review is vindictive rather than factual and dishonest. Perhaps they were angry about being charged for the towel they ruined. I have never responded to a review before , but this required my response, as the bulk of it is untrue and mean spirited.. I am 90% full right now, and everyone is enjoying their experience here. Look for more reviews in the coming weeks.
Charlie Rossley
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 February 2011

Stayed at Home Sweet Home for 7 nights with my wife and 5-year old son. It was very relaxing. The ocean view from the resort was fantastic - beautiful sunsets! The bluffs were excellent for jumping and diving with several different levels. Our room was very comfortable with TV, refrigerator, air conditioning and WiFi. The freshwater pool was a must for us and was clean and refreshing. Charlie, the owner, was very accomodating and helpful. The on-site restaurant has good food. We contracted with Home Sweet Home's driver, Chris, to pick us up from Montego Bay and he was prompt and very nice. No problem in Jamaica Mon! Cannot say too many good things about Home Sweet Home- it was just an awesome vacation and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Greensville
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I do a lot of reserch before I travel anywhere. I look online, ask friends and family, check out numerous websites and reviews.

Home Sweet Home was our 1st choice in Negril, it has an amazing Website and great reviews. All Wrong in our opinion.

I am from Jamaica, living in Canada. This was to be my husbands first week stay in Negril. When we arrived at Home Sweet Home, the place looked like the Hurricane had just hit. We had to search the ground to find anyone to check us in. When we DID find someone, she asked us what we wanted, instead of greeting us, or welcoming us etc. She finaly showed us to our Top Floor (Suite #10 I believe)...the room was alright in size, the veiw was more of the delapidated grounds than anything else. The worse part was the door and lock, the lock was almost non-existent and the door looked like it had been kicked in (you could see daylight through where the lock was). We felt unsafe right away, not knowing if we could even lock our own door.

We are not Resort, 5star accomodation type of people. Nor was I expecting that with Home Sweet Home. The price they charge (it should be 55-60$ /rm, not $100 or more) and the beautiful pics they show online and then you arrive and its nothing of the sort.

We left right away, drove quite aways away and ended up at the most Perfect Inn, the Westender Inn. The staff there are beyond Helpfull and Friendly. We rebooked there right away and had the most amazing stay. We will definatley be back to the Westender, but NEVER AGAIN to Home Sweet Home.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Reviewed 16 January 2011

We stayed 2 weeks at Home Sweet Home hotel in Negril on November 2010. We stayed in room 14 which is a studio with bedroom upstairs and with amazing view to the sea. We arrived to the hotel at night and the owner was waiting for us. In our opinion HSH is not a Hilton, rooms are basic but clean, nice and decorated with nice caribbean colours.
HSH location on the cliffs is exellent. The staff and the owner are very friendly and helpfull. There is a small swimming pool and you can also sunbath on the cliffs by the sea. You can go swimming or snorkling from the cliffs but you need to have your own snorkling equipments. Hotel restaurant is cosy with beautiful seaview, delicious food and friendly staff. This hotel was more than we expected and our holiday was so nice. We gonna have a holiday there again next winter.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 29 December 2010

Want to get away from it all...and slowly sink into the beauty and magic of Jamaica, then Home Sweet Home Resort in Jamaica is your destination.Situated on the cliffs with miles of brilliant blue and aqua seas right at your door step, I realized that heaven was just a step away. It was a fabulous 18 days. The accommodations were lovely,wonderful staff and great food.Well managed.Cozy rooms.Great views .Cool breezes filled with the aroma of native flowers,sunsets to remember forever and magic.Yes MAGIC.. This resort has a special ambiance unavailable at the larger resorts.Here there is a place for romance and a quiet peace whether you are sitting by the beautiful pool ,dining by candlelight or waking to the soothing splash of the waves on the cliffs. Having stayed there several times, I see that Home Sweet Home is unfolding into one of the most special and unique resorts in Jamaica . After experiencing many other resorts in Jamaica, I find this to truly be a home away from home .My favorite.We just love it here!!!.A Jewel in Paradise that I hope to return to again and again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple