“Beware, They're Thieves!”
Review of The Oasis Resort

The Oasis Resort
Ranked #57 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 14 October 2012

My friend & I stayed here for a few days. As previously mentioned the rooms, though fairly clean, have bugs and lack of hot water. The a/c worked the first night, but you can hear animals when trying to go to sleep.

Beware, the staff watches your coming and going. And will go as far as to ask you your plans for the day. This is not really to help or give suggestions but to follow your schedule so that they can plan when to send in their criminals.

Please note that when we left our room, we would lock up our valuables in our suitcases. The final evening of our stay, as we arrived back we saw the manager leaving, (I also must add that she was the only "manager" we knew of during our stay. She also would suggest activities for us to do) her comment to us was not "good evening" but "you guys are back already?" I will admit that I was confused by that comment, but she was leaving for the day & I didn't question it.

Sometime during the evening, someone came into our room (or may have been somehow hiding in there) & stole our money & other belongings. We did not think to lock our items when we were locked in the room.

The manager Erica was there when we reported the crime. We had never seen her before. She seemed concerned, but I'm assuming she knows exactly what goes on around there. Ours could not have been the first theft complaint although she claimed that had never happened before while she worked there. I only remember her name because we got her information on the police report.

The police were called, but Jamaican police are not helpful at all and they tried to blame us for what happened by claiming that we were drunk and let people in our rooms. None of this was true, we never had anyone in our room and we do not drink.

The "investigation" led us nowhere and their follow-up was that we left before the investigation was complete so they really couldn't do anything. However they had our contact information on file since we went to the police station before we left.

Do not go to this place! Just pay more to stay somewhere else. Somewhere safer. We figured it was a good plan since it wasn't too expensive or very cheap, but paid more than we planned for in the end. Not worth it. We are just thankful that we left with our lives.

• Stayed: February 2012
15  Thank Leebears

Reviewed 21 September 2012

My fiance and I really enjoyed this resort for it's quietness and friendly staff. At first we were a little put off, being used to large resorts, by the small size and peacefulness. We quickly realized it was a blessing in disguise, have you been to seven mile beach? I enjoyed the often empty pool with its 8/9' deep end! Although we ate out often, we really enjoyed the wonderful creations by long time Chef Denis. An amazing guy and cook! Would love to return!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 555Tonya555
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Nice small quite place. U cant beat the price.The rooms are small but nice and clean.I really like the fact that the resort was off the main road.It was so nice waking up in the morning to the birds singing.The staff were very nice and helpful.The food was good i enjoyed it.I felt very safe there the staff treated you like family.There was always running hot water while i was there.The bartender shasha was very sweet i like her.Dennis the cook was very nice.Nothing came up missing from my room.Im planning a trip back to jamaica in a few months and plan on staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank mshelbby66
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Rooms are infested with bugs. Ants everywhere. In beds and lizards on walls ( they are cute though) charge way to much for food. People who work here accept Marvin was even remotely close to nice Marvin was adorable Stray cats meowing every night they don't have windows that are closed its just a screen so you hear everything including the people next door doing the nasty... You have to ask then to turn on the hot water. They do have air condition that's a good thing and cable :)

• Stayed: July 2012
6  Thank Sparkledust80
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Nice small quite resort . U can't beat the value . Just make sure they turn on the hot water when u check-in . The resort is off the main road so u hear a lot of birds crickets ect, but was nice. The only complaint was the internet is only available outside, witch means you will get ate up by mosquitoes. Other reviews said they didn't have running hot water or that they steal . The problem with the water is they conserve unlike us Americans so it has to be turned on. Just ask, they had no problem turning it on. And we had three rooms at this resort and nothing came up missing from anyone in our group . Very helpful staff .

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank 14dec27
Reviewed 31 May 2012

May 3-7, 2012
You get what you pay for...overall the people were nice and accommodating. We had the breakfast plan and it was good, but allow a lot of time to eat! Service very slow. The day before we were leaving I notice that 2 of my Lacoste shirts were missing and a pair of linen shorts. I told the staff in the front and she seemed genuinely upset and said they would investigate the matter.
I left my email for her to contact me and I NEVER heard a thing. I called a couple of weeks later and spoke with Erica who asked if I was sure that I packed those articles of clothing. I told her I was sure and she said to send an email with the cost of the items and they'll file it on insurance. I'm still waiting to hear something back! It has only been a few days, so I am hoping this is true. I WILL let y'all know the outcome! I was suspicious of the lady cleaning our room because she never really said more than good morning, hello, etc. But the day my clothing was stolen from the room she asked "Are y'all going to the beach" and we told her 'no we were going on an all day catamaran trip!" Well that was a HUGE mistake. I suggest the workers carry small clear bags in and out to prevent this type of theft! Who wants to go on vacation out of the country to get robbed in their resort.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank 2012ALB
Reviewed 30 May 2012

It was my first time staying at the Oasis Resort. I really liked the strikingly bright and multicolored painting of the property; also the lush green and variegated grounds that were filled with several species of plants and assorted flowers. The foliage definitely contrasted beautifully with the hotel's brilliant color splash. I thought that the front office staff was very friendly, helpful and accommodating. However, I was extremely disappointed about not having a telelphone or an alarm clock in my room. Although there was a refrigerator in the room, its shelves seemed old, discolored and rusty. Furthermore, there was an apparent tiny ant problem that became increasingly annoying, because I couldn't leave any sweet tasting food or drink exposed for any amount of time. Moreover, for the first couple of days, the cable TV reception was fuzzy, distorted and just plain awful. Combined with the fact that my room had only two available electrical outlets which were both located in the bathroom. Overall, I was totally unimpressed with the location, the room and general vibe of the Oasis. Therefore, I strongly doubt whether I would return there for a future visit.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo