“Cool, Calm, and comfortable..”
Review of Coral Seas Garden

Coral Seas Garden
Ranked #55 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Chicago, Illinois
“Cool, Calm, and comfortable..”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Coral Seas Garden in Negril Jamaica is a quaint and peaceful hotel. I needed accommodations for two nights and they were welcoming in accommodating me. My price was fair and I think it was cheaper in person than online, however I was on 7 mile beach at that timeframe. Upon pulling up to the resort I was greeted by a warm beautiful face and her name was Junene. She alerted me of the price however, when I went back the next day to book the office was closed. Nonetheless a maid booked everything as well as gave me a key to my room which I thought was great as opposed to directed me to come back later etc. The property is overflowing with beautiful trees and flowers and a large pool with a restaurant and bar area. I am almost for certain that I saw a pool table in that area as well. My accommodations didn’t include a refrigerator, however upon my request it was in my room within the hour. The view from my balcony was perfect and it is essentially next door to Times Square shopping mall, a little convenience store for snacks/drinks etc. as well as local jerk chicken vendors! It is situated in a prime location for everything you need and taxis are plentiful as well if needed. I had room #207 which has a beautfiul balcony view of the pool and mountains of JA.

Wi-Fi signals are very very strong on the property and I had no problem whatsoever accessing from any area but especially my room. The ceiling consisted of beautiful wood and had a cathedral feel when glancing at it. The bright colors in the room will keep you upbeat and there are plantation shutters throughout for an island breeze as needed. The AC blows strong and the room was so cold at times, I opted for a cool incoming breeze instead. The room was very very clean, customer service was good and security was tight. Everyone would introduce themselves when I would leave out and asked if I needed assistance with anything. There is also plenty of space to park in the event you rent a vehicle or have guests etc. The only pro was at times there were no staff, but other than that when I did see someone they were attentive to my needs. Silence is golden… Also if you want to stay on the beach, unfortunately it is a short walk across the road. I would definitely stay here and plan on doing so again and am looking forward to it. If you are seeking a centrally located hotel, with close reasonable eateries and comfort….The Coral Seas Garden is the place for you… …I have attached a YouTube link for this hotel/room as well as pictures… I have also listed my driver for the week while in Jamaica as well as my airport transportation.

YouTube video of the room: http://youtu.be/6O7NuOTwki8
My driver for the week:

Driver: Andre's Taxi Service
Email: andrenegril@gmail.com
Tel: 1-876-580-4998/559-3730

My airport transportation for $30 each way (single): Driver (Sheldon)
Clive’s: reservations@clivestransportservicejamaica.com
Website: http://www.clivestransportservicejamaica.com/

Room Tip: If you want a good view #207 is the place to be also close by to the pool Try the local jerk chicke...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank Carla D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
North Pole, Alaska, United States
Reviewed 5 September 2013

If you're looking for a five star this is not it. If you're looking to have a good time on a budget on the beach this is it. It's right on the beach very nice beach, good location you can walk to shopping areas and most local restaurants accessible to public transportation and taxis.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Tania J
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Upon arriving in Jamaica, I realized that the resort I had originally booked was absolutely disgusting and not safe to stay in for my girlfriend and I. Not to mention the hotel staff had stolen our purses and I was scared beyond belief...(This was not the sunset on the beach resort I am referring to). So we began walking down the blvd and spotted a women driving down the road in her truck.. we waived her down and she let us hop in her truck and told us she had a resort up the road. This women ended up being the owner of Sunset on the Beach Resort and she gave us a room and wristbands so we could eat.. after we had all of our money stolen from the last hotel. She was beyond wonderful and helped us out in every way possible!

The nightly events on the beach were wonderful- fire dancers, live reggae music, a DJ, and the best part was that the Owners were mingling with the guests. They are very hospitable and extremely kind folks. I highly suggest staying here!
Rooms were amazingly clean and the food was wonderful! Not to mention the prime location on the beach!

Room Tip: The suite that overlooks the sea is absolutely amazing! Beautiful breathtaking view!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mallory M
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I am taking the time to let people know about how bad this hotel is:
1. From the moment I got there no remote for TV,
2. ac needed repair in my room
3. Hot water kepts stopping I had to call for them to turn it back on
4. Room cleaning lady complained and tried to get out of cleaning. I had to call for soap for dirty glasses to be taken out if my room.
5. They came for dirty towels at 10 I couldn't leave the house because they did not have towels to bring for me
6. They woke me up in the morning to take the iron out of my room for another room. When I checked in they sent the security into a room to steal one iron because I had to make a scene.
7. At check out I had to carry a blackened iron, remotes back to front desk
8. They refused to give me more than 2 towels in my room
9. The curtains were see through I had to sign for a beach towel to hang over my curtain
10. When I tried to ask the manager ms.june to speak to she sat in the room at the reception and did not come out and told the receptionist to tell me she was busy.
11. No Ice machine
12. Gave me the wrong safe key and then asked me if I'm sure I know how to use the safe
13. Every time I was at the front desk there were other people complaining and arguing.

Please this place is not worth your money.

• Stayed August 2013
7 Thank Onlywritewhenmatters

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I recently stayed at Sunset on the Beach Resort with a few girlfriends. I've stayed at several hotels in Jamaica and this establishment was by far the worst location I have ever been to. To be very clear, I was not expecting to stay in the lap of luxury. In an attempt to cut costs on our girls' trip we sought out a place that would be clean, where we could sleep comfortably and enjoy basic hotel amenities at a fairly reasonable price. That was not the case.

Upon arrival my friend and I were checked in by the front desk lady who was admittedly rather pleasant. She helped me get my wifi set up quickly and was helpful in contacting us when my other friends arrived later in the day.

That was my last pleasant experience of my 4 day stay. After check-in I was escorted to my room by a security guard. He did not offer to help my friend or myself with our bags until we explained that we would not be able to carry the bags up the stairs by ourselves. He led us to our room, which was spacious enough. Not particularly modern - but again, we were not expecting to be staying in the lap of luxury. We requested additional towels and washcloths since only 2 towels and 1 washcloth were provided. They never arrived.

On our second day... hell started. We were awoken by tremendous heat and quickly realized that the thermostat on the AC unit read 34 degrees Celsius (94 degrees Fahrenheit). I then called the front desk to report the situation. Again, the woman at the front desk was very pleasant and said that she would send someone up. After about 45 minutes the same security guard who escorted us to our room came to check the unit. He told us that we did not have it turned on properly, turned the unit down to 19 degrees Celsius and left. Immediately after his departure the unit began to read 31 degrees - an obvious indication that it was not functioning properly. A second call was placed to the front desk. She stated that she would need to call the technician who was off site. We left our room for the day primarily because of the unbearable heat in hopes that the situation would be resolved when we returned.

We returned to the room later that night to find that the unit was still not functioning properly. Another call was placed to the front desk and she informed me that the technician was going to be gone for the day. She also advised me that all rooms were booked and they would not be able to transfer our rooms.

The following morning we woke up to another thermostat reading that matched the temperature outside. Another call was placed to the technician who would again be travelling from off site to fix the problem. The technician arrived and said that he would be able to fix the problem shortly. We left our room in search of some escape from the heat and humidity of our room. Surprisingly it was cooler outside, in August in Jamaica than it was inside. We returned to our room and were informed that the problem was resolved. It was not. The room was still unbearably hot, and after calling the front desk, we were told that the technician was gone for the day and would not be able to fix the unit.

After arranging for the technician to come to our room the following day, we returned to our room to find our room door ajar with no one inside. The technician's tools were outside but our room was left completely unattended. Yet another call was placed to the front desk upon which time she sent security to our room. The same security guard advised us that the technician was "working on it" and would "be right back" but would not or could not explain why our room was left open and unattended with all of our belongings inside.

We left again for the day, trying not to let these inconveniences ruin our trip. We returned to the air conditioning unit still not functioning. To my unpleasant surprise, I also returned to a stained pillow case on my bed. This same stained pillowcase was tossed onto the floor the previous night in hopes that the housekeeping staff would attend to it. Rather than attending to it, the housekeeping staff placed the same pillowcase onto my bed. I physically went to the front desk where I found the hotel owner and explained the situation to her. She promptly called the housekeeping staff and asked that it be removed. On my walk back to my room I was confronted by the housekeeper who chastised me for "reporting her to the boss" rather than "coming to find her." She removed the dirty pillowcase, revealing an even dirtier pillow and told me that she would return when she could "find another one."

After all of this...the AC unit was still broken. We were finally switched to an alternate room later in the afternoon. The second room was much worse than the first. Although the AC unit finally worked, the bathroom was simply unacceptable. There was mold, mildew, rot, and rust on the shower head, around the sink, in the bathtub, and on the rim surrounding the tub. In this room, we were provided 1 towel and no washcloths. I asked a housekeeper who happened to be walking by for washcloths and an extra towel hoping that I might not be confronted by another person who was angry with me for reporting them to their boss. This housekeeper advised me that she would look to see if she could find any. Apparently she never found them, because they never arrived.

At checkout, I asked the woman at the front desk if I could speak to the manager/owner. I detailed all of my grievances which she then relayed to the manager/owner. She asked that I wait for her boss to come out so speak with me because there was nothing she could do to resolve the issue (an apology would have been nice). After waiting for about 10 minutes, I asked when I would be able to speak with someone. She then went into the office, and came back out stating that her boss was not going to speak to me. During this time another pair of guests entered the lobby. Their grievances mirrored mine which was not surprising. She refused to see them as well.

Needless to say, I will never stay at this "hotel" ever again. This establishment is not suitable for hotel guests and should not be in operation. If you have any concern for your own health, safety, and comfort stay far way from this place and any of it's affiliates.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank NiqueyP
Charlestown, Rhode Island
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Sunset on the Beach is a great location, a small boutique hotel, good restaurant and easy access to town. A scuba dive and boat ride company is right next door. Many restaurants are in walking distance along the beach. The beach is beautiful and at the quiet end. Sunset on the Beach is the last hotel before the city park so it is more peaceful than most. The staff is great and the security is good. many palapas on the beach for shade, just put your towels out early. Breakfast is great and included in the room price. The down side is that all rooms need to be upgraded, new curtains, bed spreads, sheets and kitchen appliances would be a good start. The room safes were being replaced while we were there.The front desk people are friendly but totally unorganized. Room requests and amenities are hard to get. Some days you get clean towels, some you do not. Sometimes there is ice other times not. The gardens are beautiful but need maintenance. We have been twice, 2 weeks each trip. There are no longer kids driving motorcycles all night so much quieter. It's getting better but has a ways to go. Would I go back, you bet I would. To be on the beach in Negril with breakfast included for $85.00/ night, you can not beat that!!

Room Tip: The 2 room suites are nice and will sleep 4 people
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Craig M
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This was my first visit to hotel it was good we had a lovely time on the beach.We would like to say thank to the workers at front desk at the Bar and those who take care of the rooms they are very friendly the food was fantastic. Then we visit sunset on the cliff the children had fun, we saw dolphins in the sea pool was great not to mention the rooms.Again thanks to the driver who take us from Sunset on the Beach to Sunset on the Cliff the music was good.Will be back next year.

Room Tip: Up stairs looking over in the beach the best rooms!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family