“ROOM BROKEN INTO WHILE WE SLEPT!!”

The Gardenia Resort
Ranked #78 of 81 Hotels in Negril
canada
“ROOM BROKEN INTO WHILE WE SLEPT!!”
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We booked 2 rooms at The Gardenia Resort from Dec 28, 2012 to Jan 10, 2013.
It is across the street from the beach. It is a nice looking and quiet hotel and could be great if they read these reviews.
The hotel was booked solid for the holidays, so we were put in the rooms at the very back of the hotel property, on the second floor, side by side to each other.
Now let me just say, I believe that no matter if you pay $20 or $200 a night there are somethings that you just expect from your room. Cleanliness, air-conditioning, running water, a phone (for emergencies) and safety.
Our rooms were clean, we had air-conditioning, but no running water on several occassions (they claimed it was a problem with the town not the hotel), no phone and safety left something to be desired.
Safety deposit boxes are in the office, which is only open certain hours.
Security is low, especially around the resort near the back.
Rooms are easily broken into, especially the rooms with lots of windows.
One of our rooms was entered (broken into) while we were sleeping....someone pried open the window and entered our room taking money. Not a great deal of money as it was near the end of our trip. The person who entered the room had to be small as the window entered was little and tight.
Thank goodness we didn't wake up and no one was hurt. We discovered what had happend in the morning.
We believe it was an employee working at the resort, due to circumstances that occurred before the break in and after the break in, that I will not mention as it is speculation at this point . Just beware of who may be listening to your conversations.
The manager, Richard is a nice man, he was very apologetic and police were called, but Richard does need a class on how to take charge of situations and please the guests.
Lots of problems around hotel, pool not working, hotel front desk phone not working, water not working, so toilets did not work either. No phones in the rooms.
I felt we should have been given some, if not all of our money back for our stay in one of the rooms, as there were just too many problems.
Negril overall is a very beautiful and safe place. I have stayed in Negril many times at different hotels, from expensive to cheaper. I love it and will always stay in Negril.
Would we stay at the Gardenia again? More than likely, No.
Lesson learned....A quiet hotel is not necessarily a safer hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure windows are permanently secured, use safety deposit boxes, stay in rooms at front of hote...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
21 Thank ducksmom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Positive people safe place, good times. French Canadian guys own run the place.i recommend the restraint for it is the best place to eat on the entire beach! All the surrounding hotel guests end up coming back to dine there. My friend is very picky.. Mostly a veg head but managed to dine without complaining for 5 days. Talk to people around negril and on the beach, they will let you know the food is best size and value. Location is in centre of the 7 miles and offers good swimming . No fish to see but lots to do .i have been to Jamaica 2 times and have stayed in ochi and mo bay . Don't waste time there. Totally not relaxing compared to chilling here. I will take my 10 year old twins and wife there next time and stay across from the beach again, it is quite and safe. The loud music , ambience and hotel can be too much for too long. Staying across the street is very relaxing.check them out next time or book ahead.

Room Tip: Great location, super friendly staff! Very secure....no problems mon! Good value back off the street...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Todd C
canada
Reviewed 31 October 2008

My family and I (two adults and two young children) stayed at the Resort for two weeks in February. It was nice and quiet as it is situated across the road from the beach traffic. This was especially nice in the evening when children go to bed early. It also has lots of property to explore and nice large verandas to make use of.
The rooms were cleaned everyday, the beds changed every second day. We even borrowed a propane stove to cook some of our own meals on. Luckily we brought our own coffee percalator, morning searches are a drag with young ones...
We really enjoyed our stay, I mean we weren't expecting the Ritz, and I was pleasantly surprised a few times,ie:laundry service. Another great thing with kids.
We never did see any cockroaches, only a lizard or two in the bathroom, until we plugged up the hole in the screen that he was using as his enterance.
I would recommend however that you bring your own comfy clean pillows with you, I definately will next year when we go back!
People, your in the jungle, expect the unexpected sometimes....

• Liked — I liked that it has great property, the price is right and it's a hideaway from the beach scene.
  • Disliked — my pillow.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank northamy
LONDON
Reviewed 18 July 2008

I stayed at this hotel in 2005, the location of the hotel was great just across from the sea, i did not try the restaurant, but did go to the jerk place next door, the food was cheap and really tasty.
There was a local shop which is located to the right of the restaurant, which is quite expensive, there is a small shop located to the left of the hotel which is owned by a lovely couple of jamaican who lived in england for many years, it is easy to take a taxi, but always confirm the prices, or you may be taken for a ride, my favourite restaurant was localed in the west end near summerset village, facing the sea, it is used by the locals the food was cheap and tasty. It was called Sip and Bite, the owner come waitress looks a bit moany but does smile at the locals, this hotel is not open on Saturadays.

I had no real problems at the beach, i went to Margaritaville and paid $20 US dollars for the day of drink from 10.00 am - 4.00 pm this was very useful as you did not have to worry about money for drinks, the food was quite expensive, whilst you are at this location the locals (men) cant bother you as they are told to move on by the staff, please note that there may be life guards, but there was one who spent most of his time checking out the ladies when this couple nearly drown, swimming to the inflatable located in the sea, it does not look far from the beach but if your not a strong swimmer then you will have problems, i could not believe, when on my second to last day whilst i was relaxing floating in the sea, the same lifeguard that had nearly caused these people to drown invited me to the same inflatable, i told him i could not swim that well and he said no problem, i would have rather swam with sharks, i must say that that other lifeguard was very helpful. Negril is a very safe place i had no problems and have visited this area four years from 2003-2007, i found the night life(beach based) a bit seedy, with the women, selling themselves to the tourist, this practise has gotten worst over the 4 years. I love the beach, but found the insects hard to get use to. I can recommend a place to visit whilst in Jamaica is Mayfield Falls, its wonderful and the guides where very helpful and took some wonderful pictures of me, if possible get shoes that can be wore for water sports(gripped sole) because walking over the rocks and water can be slipperly,( i wore reebok trainers) the restaurant was wonderful and can recommend the fish, the best i have every tasted, i have been to jamaica 10 times, it is really worth the trip, i visited Dunns River Falls and thought it looked very dangerous, people falling down, etc, Mayfield Falls, is exciting and relaxing and the natural jucuzzies are the best. I it is really cheap to get in, i would not recommend it for people who have problems walking because there are alot of steps, it would be a wonderful place to get married and have seen a wedding/blessing there and it looked ideal.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Night security and long blackouts
  • Stayed July 2005, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank NORMA33

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

new orleans
Reviewed 26 March 2008

My stay at Daniel Village was AWFUL. The food was disappointing, the service was non-existant, the sheets had blood on them, the shower barely worked, the hot tub wasn't working, and the bartenders were never there. The entire experience was frustrating and substandard. I would not recommend staying there, spend a few extra dollars and stay at a beach front hotel.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank cman08
South Wales, UK
Reviewed 5 February 2008

We went to Daniel Beach in June and we were literally the ONLY guests in the entire resort! The rooms were bad and we found huge cockroaches in the bathroom on several occasions!! There were no staff about and we had to go looking for people to get breakfast. We paid for a drinks package but none of the bars were ever open!

I read bad reviews on trip advisor before we went and I chose to ignore them thinking that different people have different experiences. How wrong was I! Don't ignore those bad reviews, this hotel is awful! We ended up paying our travel agent extra money to be upgraded to Point Village, which was fabulous and we had a great time.

• Liked — Short walk from beach
  • Disliked — Cockroaches!
  • Stayed June 2005, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank UKJBear1
london
Reviewed 29 June 2007

Arrived at 2am after a delayed and diverted air jamaica flight exhausted. We were shown to our rooms (had booked two) and were pleasantly surprised to find them adjoining with a huge kitchen in between. Although the rooms are slightly dated,and the airconditioning unit only worked properly in one of them, they were more than spacious and were cleaned everyday.(The good.) However when the usual lady from housekeeping took her day off the replacement complained that our rooms were messy. (The bad.) There were two adults and three children in two rooms how much mess could we make? We were out almost all day, everyday!!
We asked if the pool was going to be cleaned (it was turning green YUK) and were told No. (The ugly.) It seems that unless you go to Daniels during the spring break, forget having access to most of the facilities listed on the hotel discription. So, go somewhere else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Disliked — Dirty pool and the disertedness
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family