“New Years Trip”

Ranked #80 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Jamaica
“New Years Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

This is the best Resort I have been to. The hot water, swimming pool, food was great. The staffs were friendly. The Housekeepers did a great job with the rooms. Ms Jodi Ann Beckford was lovely, she did a great job managing the property.

This is the best Resort!! I didn't have any problems with anything. Everything was well organized.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Krazyshen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

I am sorry to say but I wasted my hard earned money staying at this dump. The staff is very unfriendly. I couldn't even get proper WiFi signal. The hot water was barely warm. The breakfast is very poor.The amenities in the rooms are lacking. Some of the bath towels were soiled. I guess they are not even trying to attract tourists because I believe they just don't care. This is a cheap establishment trying to scam people out of money. The saying is right, you get what you pay for. People do yourself a favor, pay to stay elsewhere becuase staying at the hotel felt like punishment.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank David T

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

Kingston, Jamaica
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

So I booked into this 'resort' at the last minute. It matched my small budget and I really wasn't interested in the room just wanted somewhere clean to sleep.

Lets start with the rooms. The room I got (room 306) had a broken AC unit that never got fixed even after numerous requests with Mr Miller and his staff. So on the first night I was given a fan by the front desk. The fan I was given was actually broken too since it couldn't rotate! This meant that I had to keep the windows open and i spent the entire night praying that nobody would climb into my window.

Not only was the AC broken but the toilet and shower weren't working properly . I contacted the receptionist ( u literally have to walk to the lobby because there wasn't a phone in the room) and asked to change my room even if it meant paying a little extra. I was told that there were no additional rooms available even though there was a 'rooms available' sign at the front of the property. So there was no solution offered and the toilet kept running all night.

So this is a budget hotel and my expectations were really basic but I was shocked when I had to ask and wait for an hour for a roll of tissue. There was no tissue in the room. The towels and bed also had rusty colored stains that made me quiver.

The only 'pro' was that there were no large bugs. I expected cockroaches to attack me given the fact that the room was so dirty but that didn't happen. I'm still treating a couple of mosquito bites though due to the fact that I had to keep the windows open all night.

Let's talk about the food....the breakfast actually wasn't bad....but I made an error to complain about the fact that the menu was very basic. I really shouldn't have said anything because I got dirty looks from the waiters and I had to wait on everyone else to get served before someone asked me what I wanted.

So I left the 'hotel' after one terrifying night....even though I had booked for the weekend. The staff really didn't show any concern that I was upset and I immediately felt like they would keep telling me that they would help but eventually do nothing.

I have stayed low budget before but this really is the worst place to stay. If you are brave enough my tips would be....
1) do not complain about anything
2) carry your own bed sheets,tissue and towels
3)do not get room 306
4) do not stay here

Room Tip: Stay away from room 306
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank CareFreeu
Rapid City, South Dakota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

I spent five weeks in this resort. It's across the street from the beach but very easy to get to.
Richard,the manager,and his wonderful staff take care of all your needs..The hotel it self is old
but very clean...and very pretty place.the grounds are kept very nice,thanks to Chris and Jermaine
Who work very hard..The girls,housekeepers, keep the rooms very clean,plus do your laundry if you like them to..Kevin, at the bar, will make you drinks,food,whatever you so desire.These people aim to please,I haven't one complaint..I'm a retired lady and I travel solo..From the time I got there till I left I felt very secure..They watch over you to make sure that all is well..Not many places do that...They have great security..Will I recommend the Gardenia Resort to my friends,of course I will
And I will return in one year for two or three months!!Thanks to all!!!A perfect vacation !!!

Room Tip: I had a room on the second floor with a kitchenette..a huge room with dresser,closet,sofa. Kitchen...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Betty995
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Gardenia Resort is nestled in an ideal location along the Negril strip and provides affordable and comfortable accommodations. Richard, the hotel Manager was very helpful in getting us settled in and providing access to various amenities both on the property and outside the resort. Dining available upon request. The food is good

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Leon_Grant
canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

ducksmom canada
17 helpful votes “ROOM BROKEN INTO WHILE WE SLEPT!!”
Reviewed 22 January 2013 We booked 2 rooms at The Gardenia Resort from Dec 28, 2012 to Jan 10, 2013.
It is across the street from the beach. It is a nice looking and quiet hotel and could be great if they read these reviews.
The hotel was booked solid for the holidays, so we were put in the rooms at the very back of the hotel property, on the second floor, side by side to each other.
Now let me just say, I believe that no matter if you pay $20 or $200 a night there are somethings that you just expect from your room. Cleanliness, air-conditioning, running water, a phone (for emergencies) and safety.
Our rooms were clean, we had air-conditioning, but no running water on several occassions (they claimed it was a problem with the town not the hotel), no phone and safety left something to be desired.
Safety deposit boxes are in the office, which is only open certain hours.
Security is low, especially around the resort near the back.
Rooms are easily broken into, especially the rooms with lots of windows.
One of our rooms was entered (broken into) while we were sleeping....someone pried open the window and entered our room taking money. Not a great deal of money as it was near the end of our trip. The person who entered the room had to be small as the window entered was little and tight.
Thank goodness we didn't wake up and no one was hurt. We discovered what had happend in the morning.
We believe it was an employee working at the resort, due to circumstances that occurred before the break in and after the break in, that I will not mention as it is speculation at this point . Just beware of who may be listening to your conversations.
The manager, Richard is a nice man, he was very apologetic and police were called, but Richard does need a class on how to take charge of situations and please the guests.
Lots of problems around hotel, pool not working, hotel front desk phone not working, water not working, so toilets did not work either. No phones in the rooms.
I felt we should have been given some, if not all of our money back for our stay in one of the rooms, as there were just too many problems.
Negril overall is a very beautiful and safe place. I have stayed in Negril many times at different hotels, from expensive to cheaper. I love it and will always stay in Negril.
Would we stay at the Gardenia again? More than likely, No.
Lesson learned....A quiet hotel is not necessarily a safer hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure windows are permanently secured, use safety deposit boxes, stay in rooms at front of hote...
****UPDATE - Oct 29, 2013****
While looking to book at trip to Negril once again, I decided to give The Gardenia a second chance if they would do a good will gesture and accomodate us with a price match to our previous trip mentioned above. They had the space and requested that this review be removed, I agreed and all that was left was the price match.
I was very shocked and disappointed to receive a call from the Manager Richard adiving us that his superior was unwilling to do the price match as a good will gesture since they were so insistant on this review being removed as they claim it has effected their buisness.
Well... I am still in search of a hotel and I know I will find one. But people please be weary of the rooms at this hotel. They are not very secure especially any that are not in the main areas. Good Luck!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
16 Thank ducksmom
Blaine, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

This is a lovely resort for an inexpensive vacation. Not located directly on the beach but close enough with easy beach access that it didn't matter, and without the hefty price tag charged by the hotels on the beach side of the road.

We stayed in a kitchenette room and found everything to be clean, roomy, and very comfortable. The staff was all very friendly and helpful, especially the manager, Mr. Richard Miller, who met all of our requests with a smile and immediate action. The location is quiet, set back from the road a little ways but still convenient to all the action. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple