“Love It or Hate It - All About Expectations”

The Gardenia Resort
Ranked #78 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

If you like the extravagance of all-inclusive or the efficiency of three or four star American hotels, please do not come to this hotel. You will be disappointed and will be complaining. But if you can lower your expectations and get used to the local pace, you may actually enjoy it. I won't say this is for everyone. It is for flexible travelers who enjoy interaction with local people.
This is my first trip to Jamaica. I hated the hotel upon checking in because they didn't have the kitchenette room we booked. They offered a standard room to us instead. It took a long time to sort it out and I finally gave up and accepted the standard room. I didn't like the barebones room and because it overlooked the swimming pool, it was noisy that night. The second day got much better, we were moved to the kitchenette room all the way to the back of the hotel. The room is better. There is a large living dining area and a kitchen but you have to share them and also the bathroom. Although no one was really there to share with us. We started to get used to the slow local pace and understand it is the norm not only about this hotel. And we found that people are really easy going here. To access the beach, you just walk across the street and through the opposite hotels. All the hotels let us walk through their property and even let us use their beach chairs without asking.
By the 3rd day, we got to know the hotel staff so well. They were all friendly and we particularly liked Jolie and Sean. They were very helpful. So when our flight was cancelled due to the recent snow storm in the North East, we actually came back to the same hotel and stayed additional four days. We felt safe and so at home at this hotel to come back again.
So this is a hotel that you will need some get used to. If you can be flexible and do not expect anything done within half an hour, you will enjoy and relax in the hotel. The price is considerably lower than the hotels along the beach although it is only one street apart.

Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank AnneGao

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I have stayed 3 times & I'll keep going back. The Manager, Richard Miller, is there for your every need as well as the staff . The gardens are well kept & in a way secluded. The beach is across the street where the people are always there to make you comfortable. This hotel is close to all restaurants, bars, parties on the beach & it's just a few steps away. I am going back again for another 7weeks to me I call it home away from home. I had a problem with the A/C but Mr Miller put us in another room until it was fixed it was only 1 day whenever a problem arose it was always looked after immediatly. Tthe room was always clean the towels were soft & smelled clean. I LOVE THIS PLACE>

Room Tip: I chose the top floor overlooking the big pool & it had a kitchen big livingroom/bedroom.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mmd2014
Reviewed 9 January 2014

This is the best Resort I have been to. The hot water, swimming pool, food was great. The staffs were friendly. The Housekeepers did a great job with the rooms. Ms Jodi Ann Beckford was lovely, she did a great job managing the property.

This is the best Resort!! I didn't have any problems with anything. Everything was well organized.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Krazyshen
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

I am sorry to say but I wasted my hard earned money staying at this dump. The staff is very unfriendly. I couldn't even get proper WiFi signal. The hot water was barely warm. The breakfast is very poor.The amenities in the rooms are lacking. Some of the bath towels were soiled. I guess they are not even trying to attract tourists because I believe they just don't care. This is a cheap establishment trying to scam people out of money. The saying is right, you get what you pay for. People do yourself a favor, pay to stay elsewhere becuase staying at the hotel felt like punishment.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank David T
Reviewed 8 December 2013

So I booked into this 'resort' at the last minute. It matched my small budget and I really wasn't interested in the room just wanted somewhere clean to sleep.

Lets start with the rooms. The room I got (room 306) had a broken AC unit that never got fixed even after numerous requests with Mr Miller and his staff. So on the first night I was given a fan by the front desk. The fan I was given was actually broken too since it couldn't rotate! This meant that I had to keep the windows open and i spent the entire night praying that nobody would climb into my window.

Not only was the AC broken but the toilet and shower weren't working properly . I contacted the receptionist ( u literally have to walk to the lobby because there wasn't a phone in the room) and asked to change my room even if it meant paying a little extra. I was told that there were no additional rooms available even though there was a 'rooms available' sign at the front of the property. So there was no solution offered and the toilet kept running all night.

So this is a budget hotel and my expectations were really basic but I was shocked when I had to ask and wait for an hour for a roll of tissue. There was no tissue in the room. The towels and bed also had rusty colored stains that made me quiver.

The only 'pro' was that there were no large bugs. I expected cockroaches to attack me given the fact that the room was so dirty but that didn't happen. I'm still treating a couple of mosquito bites though due to the fact that I had to keep the windows open all night.

Let's talk about the food....the breakfast actually wasn't bad....but I made an error to complain about the fact that the menu was very basic. I really shouldn't have said anything because I got dirty looks from the waiters and I had to wait on everyone else to get served before someone asked me what I wanted.

So I left the 'hotel' after one terrifying night....even though I had booked for the weekend. The staff really didn't show any concern that I was upset and I immediately felt like they would keep telling me that they would help but eventually do nothing.

I have stayed low budget before but this really is the worst place to stay. If you are brave enough my tips would be....
1) do not complain about anything
2) carry your own bed sheets,tissue and towels
3)do not get room 306
4) do not stay here

Room Tip: Stay away from room 306
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank CareFreeu
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I spent five weeks in this resort. It's across the street from the beach but very easy to get to.
Richard,the manager,and his wonderful staff take care of all your needs..The hotel it self is old
but very clean...and very pretty place.the grounds are kept very nice,thanks to Chris and Jermaine
Who work very hard..The girls,housekeepers, keep the rooms very clean,plus do your laundry if you like them to..Kevin, at the bar, will make you drinks,food,whatever you so desire.These people aim to please,I haven't one complaint..I'm a retired lady and I travel solo..From the time I got there till I left I felt very secure..They watch over you to make sure that all is well..Not many places do that...They have great security..Will I recommend the Gardenia Resort to my friends,of course I will
And I will return in one year for two or three months!!Thanks to all!!!A perfect vacation !!!

Room Tip: I had a room on the second floor with a kitchenette..a huge room with dresser,closet,sofa. Kitchen...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Betty995
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Gardenia Resort is nestled in an ideal location along the Negril strip and provides affordable and comfortable accommodations. Richard, the hotel Manager was very helpful in getting us settled in and providing access to various amenities both on the property and outside the resort. Dining available upon request. The food is good

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business