“Really Dissapointed”

Merrils Beach Resort II
Ranked #46 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 25 October 2012

This was our first visit to Merrils 2 or any Merrils for that matter, I read most of the reviews posted on trip advisor and thought we would give it a try, well we were totally disappointed from the point of arrival. The lady at the front desk wasn’t much help, as she told us that our room had two double beds and we could not be changed to a room with a single King Size Bed, she then suggested that we push the Beds together and we will be OK. Anyway after some complaining we were given a room with a King size Bed. Even though this hotel is listed as all inclusive it has a lot of limitations, if you want food or liquor you have to get all you want before 10pm as both the restaurant and bar close at 10pm. The restaurant was very limited with food, and I really don’t know if the Chef knows what he is doing, because the food was really bad, everything was just full of salt. The bar staff were very friendly and also always ready to assist, given the limited choices of beverage. Oh and if you want drinking water you have to use the dispenser there is no bottled water. I went to the store and got my water; even though there was no fridge in the room luckily I had a cooler with me. The following morning breakfast was buffet style and was very limited, breakfast was a challenge, and Lunch was ridiculous as the only meat on the menu was pork, they had no chicken or fish. Eventually there was some fried chicken available (limited) the chicken was actually chicken parts chopped up and fried crispy dry. Once you have lunch which finishes at 2:30pm there is nothing until dinner at 7pm. We spent most of the time on the beach sleeping and chilling, if you have kids there are no games or entertainment for them, the only water sport available free of cost is Kayaking which was fun. Negril Beach is one of the best beaches in Jamaica, and if Merrils didn’t have the Beach it would have to close down, by the way when we were there Merrils 1 and Merrils 3 were both closed. This was the first resort I have ever been to and couldn’t wait to check out, we spent 2 nights here and honestly we were totally disappointed, some people will say you get what you pay for but in my books I think no matter what you pay for it should be value for money. Merrils was US$180 per night which is not cheap, RIU is US$215 per night and offers a much more superior All Inclusive package, you name it they have it, and food and liquor is all night. While we were there we could see a lot of disgruntled guests mainly Europeans, and the owner of the property was there chilling under a gazebo with is friends like everything was ok, well if I was him knowing that both Merrils 1 and 3 were closed and Merrils 2 is on the brink of closure I wouldn’t be so relaxed.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank niya001
There are newer reviews for Merrils Beach Resort II

Reviewed 17 October 2012

Well, this was the second time my family and I were staying with friends and it was horrid. Some of the staff members were rude and out of order, the food wasn't good,they stole some of our food and there were dirty areas.

The lady at the front desk gave my mom attitude after mom requested some rags that weren't placed in the room after it was cleaned. This guy in the dinning area got upset after we asked to join to tables together for a group of us to eat.

The food was really bad, nothing more to it. They didn't replenish the food when needed either. Got to breakfast at 8 (when it started at 7) and majority of the food was done. We gave them brownies to serve guests and they didn't have them (they sent it to the other Merril's). Turns out the other hotel didn't get it.

Outside on the patio are in the roof was dirty and one table cloth was dirty and wasn't replaced

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Liz T
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We visited there the 2nd half of our vacation to Negril in August. First off the beach here is great. We have 2 teenage kids (15 and 17) and there's plenty to do all around - jet skiing etc..
The hotel facilty is ok - 3 star. clean and well maintained for the most part but showing signs of w&t. Again, you get what you pay for. My biggest complaint was the food and drinks. Not very good. Same ole day after day with not a big selection. I will say that the staff and kitchen crew do the best with what they're given and try to be very accomodating. Charlie and Teneisha were extremely friendly and helpful as was the chef (made my kids grilled cheese and pasta when he could) Most of the guests while we were there were European - not a big deal but not many that spoke English. You feel somewhat isolated. No nightlife to speak of. We had an ok time but will definately try someplace else due to the food choices.

Room Tip: spend a little extra - get a room/suite by the ocean
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ruminthesun
Reviewed 29 September 2012

An all-inclusive resort charges a fixed price that includes most or all items. At a minimum, most inclusive resorts include lodging, unlimited food, drink, sports activities, and entertainment for the fixed price. (Wikipedia)
An offer was made to us to purchase a package deal with Merrils. We purchased it we deep internal glee as we wanted to find a resort spot where we could enjoy time as a family and be provided with some fundamental amenities, i.e. Food for just about 24 hours (if not all 24), recreational facilities, etc.

We had also decided to be the guinea pigs for a set of friends. So we would go, assess the place then we could open the gates for other families that we knew of that wanted to find a good resort that they could stay. The test run was to be for my Birthday.

Prior to going, the resort’s ‘all-inclusive status’ was checked. However, unfortunately we never asked what that meant to them. Bad choice. We arrived in the afternoon after a long 2-3 hour drive for check in. We went to Merrils II and to be truthful, Reception never seemed happy to see us. After waiting for a little (with no one standing at the desk before us), we checked in. We got our bags taken to the room and we tried to settle in. Needless to say my wife was fuming (I smelt a volcanic eruption on the horizon), tired and hungry. We then went to view the property and head in the general area of the restaurant. We asked for some food for us and our daughter (being all-inclusive and all) and were told that there was no food. The only meals provided are the standard 3 meals a day. We tried to hold our peace. We asked someone from the kitchen if we could something at this time since dinner was a full 2 hours away. He pointed to a sandwich he had given to previous guests and say ‘Like that’. By sandwich I mean bread with tomato and mayo. Being desperate we said ok primarily for the sake of not having our little girl starving. Be reminded, all I’ve said before occurred within the FIRST hour of being at the resort. I’ll summarize the rest.
1. There is no service of food outside of the standard 3 meals. And when being served it seemed like you were a mendicant within their esteemed facilities.
2. I went to the bar to get a juice and saw the bartender meticulously looking into a tattered ‘recipe’ book to prepare a drink for another guest. Never seen that one before.
a. By the way, the bar closes by about 9 or 10 pm, i.e. close, drinks put away, all liquor stashed, etc.
3. Our room looked just about directly on to the outside area of the kitchen. Hmmmmmm...
a. Horrible smell from a drain outside
b. Food placed on tables outside (maybe to absorb the flavour of the drain) and if I remember correctly, they were not all properly covered.
4. Hot water was intermittent.
5. The walls inside rooms were not clean
6. Kitchen and restaurant area were not clean (cob webs and all) and in need of a good painting.
7. There was NO ENTERTAINMENT. Let me define, all you have is the God given beach and a few kayaks. No night entertainment, no band, no games, NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There however were some beacons of hope within the institution. We decided we would try the restaurant at Merrils I since was in walking distance. The service there for food was much better and more courteous. We were surprised to see that we were actually treated like guests. I thank them for not making the time a 100% tragic event.

My Thoughts, unless they first fix the staff (as in train them) then the facilities, I would never recommend it to anyone. I can get better service from a guest house without the ‘all-inclusive’ perks.

Conclusion, the WORST we have ever been to in Jamaica- hands down.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank S M
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We stayed at Merills 1 for 2 weeks it is situated on the fab 7 mile beach which is amazing. Merills 1 itself was very clean and staff very friendly, we were all inclusive the food was nice we enjoyed each meal the drinks were ok the beer was draught some days it was good other days u could not drink it we used to walk to the shop and get the bottles of red stripe which were onlt 1 euro 20cents, and the short drinks were weak with loads of ice, if the hotel done the bottle beer it would be gr8. The security guards were all very friendly and spoke each time u met them. On the beach we met Rasta Mikey we done a few boat trips with him his boat is opposite the hotel, we also done a trip into the mountains which was fab and seen the way they lived. We had a amazing holiday in Negril I would highly recommend it, Merills 1 is not 5 star but very friend and very good atmosphere and we enjoyed our stay there.
L & S Ireland

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Woody123_12
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Spent a weekend at the Merils Resort I and was most disappointed that the resort did not live up to all the hype in the brochure and as pitched by the sales person. The food was simply terrible with breakfast being the only time I ate a semi-descent meal. Drinks at the bar were ok but mixed ones were weak especially if they were virgin.Bar staff were good though. Hotel room was not up to my standard as the tv was too high, their were no movie channels and the remote was badly damaged (they used a piece of scotch tape for God's sake to hold the batteries in the back!) and the furniture was so-so. There was zero hot water available and sometimes no water at all in the shower. There was absolutely no entertainment, no jacuzzi and the swimming pool was tiny and located only on the other resort Merrils II. Hair dryers and irons were accessible only if collected at the front desk. Some staff gave service with a smile (mostly the front desk, bartenders and one waitress) others need to do better. There was no food available between meal times unless you go to local restaurants. And the safe in the room did not work. I will not return.

Room Tip: downstairs rooms got better water pressure
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ruhe-hope A
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Ok I'm french but will do my best to write down a review. This was my 5th trip to Negril and my first time to Merrils 2.

I was there 17 days. I arrived june 7th around 3:30pm. I got my room, which was no. 606. Very clean. I had prior ask for a fridge and it was in the room. The cost was 7.00$ a day.

The maids were very nice and did there job very well. Hot water and the pressure was very powerfull, nothing to complain about it.

The staff at the restaurant and bar were very nice, specially Sharon, she is an angel. Is you talk to her, tell her Christine says Hi!

Now the food. What to say...Really not many choices, was good sometimes. The chef should do some improvments regarding choices, variety. They often cook chicken, almost always the same fruits, salads. Gets boring if i can say so. I did go eat elsewhere during my stay.

The gounds are well kept, the gardeners are doing good a job.

The beach is awesome with shade if you need it, no problem for that. Enough beachchairs also.

You can have a guest come over, it cost 66.00$ for a night.

I did not like that the wifi is 12.00/day and 36.00/week. I used it for a couple of hours only to email my son, so i think it is to expensive. They have a computer at the lobby to use for internet but was not working during my stay. I guess it is 2.00 for 20 minutes. Did not understand why not working (the wifi was working).

All in all, it was ok but would not go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo