“you get what you pay for !”

Merrils Beach Resort II
Ranked #47 of 81 Hotels in Negril
LaSalle, Ontario CANADA
“you get what you pay for !”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

My husband and I have been down to Negril 7 times. Our first time was to T-Water and I was definitely not prepared for a 2 star hotel.
The other 6 times we have staying at Merrils 1. Our first time I 'think' there was a friendly creature on our roof ! Couldn't sleep so the staff moved us the next day.
We have a favorite ocean view room which is small but adequate. I kinda decorate it to my tastes. Pull back the curtains with ribbon, make sure that I bring a clock radio with me, an over the door hanger, extra hangers, and make sure I have flowers in our room each day - of course the maintenance staff helps with this.
This year we are going to M2 - not sure if we are making the correct decision and I'll miss our room at M1 but needed to give it a try.
What I absolutely love about the trio of Merrils is that you can talk to the cooks at M1, M2 and M3 and if you don't like what is being served at a particular Merrils, you can walk down to the others to see what is on their menus.
With Merrils offering their all inclusive at a rate lower than the others, we don't mind visiting and eating at the other beach side restaurants. And....really....if drinks aren't available after 10, and you really need to have a beverage, there are numerous establishments along the beach or you can bring a drink or two up to your room.
Can't wait to get there in 4 sleeps.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sharon A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Colorado Rockies
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Just returned from our second stay at Merril's II. Like the first one it was great. Stayed in an Oceanview room. We think it is worth the extra $. The staff is a big part of what makes the place great. From Valerie in reservations to Marlon at the bar A+. A member of our party had broken toes that were bothering him after travelling all day. An ice pack appears without being requested. The night before we left to return home the restaurant had closed and the bar was getting ready to close at around 10 pm. I watched from my balcony as a large party had just checked in and were hungry. Amazing to watch the entire staff including the boss jump into action and feed the new arrivals. Chris and Barbara made sure our bar/restaurant needs were met. Our first visit was with 17 friends and family. Second was with 6. Our party was accommodated at every meal both times with birthday celebrations on both visits. Amazing what a $20 bill here and there will do.The food is good with variety. Bartenders were fun and friendly. The grounds are continuously maintained. Security is 24/7. Got a great massage at Merril's III. The beach and ocean are amazing!
Merril's II works great for us. The restaurant and bar are not 24/7 but the hours are just what we need. Wish they would get WiFi back.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank h2ojo
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 4 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Merrils II for 5 nights, it's ok. Not awful and not great. The Water Commission was doing work so we lost water at nights 3 out of 5 nights. There were no water tanks on property to cover the expected shut offs.
The beach and pool area were nice and the security was always present on the beach.
The food was also ok, all meals were served buffet style. The overall service was ok, nothing special. In a jam I would stay there again only if I had to.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank JGATL01
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 17 December 2012

We just came back from Merrils Beach Resorts 2 , we had an awesome time , went with my husband and 5 year old baby girl , it was a mini vation , much needed, I just wanted to comment as I promised the front desk ladies , that were soo nice and polite at the front desk , I loved the hotel , we went to enjoy some time together , and in the meantime by husband and I had some good drinks by the pool , we walked all along the 7 mile beach , which is beautiful , its was soo relaxing and exactly what we needed , food was goood , we enjoyed it - staff was great , beaches are beautiful , I booked for May 2013 - cant wait to go back !!!

Room Tip: Al rooms are nice , but the Oceanfront rooms have the best view
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank dianita66
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 25 October 2012

This was our first visit to Merrils 2 or any Merrils for that matter, I read most of the reviews posted on trip advisor and thought we would give it a try, well we were totally disappointed from the point of arrival. The lady at the front desk wasn’t much help, as she told us that our room had two double beds and we could not be changed to a room with a single King Size Bed, she then suggested that we push the Beds together and we will be OK. Anyway after some complaining we were given a room with a King size Bed. Even though this hotel is listed as all inclusive it has a lot of limitations, if you want food or liquor you have to get all you want before 10pm as both the restaurant and bar close at 10pm. The restaurant was very limited with food, and I really don’t know if the Chef knows what he is doing, because the food was really bad, everything was just full of salt. The bar staff were very friendly and also always ready to assist, given the limited choices of beverage. Oh and if you want drinking water you have to use the dispenser there is no bottled water. I went to the store and got my water; even though there was no fridge in the room luckily I had a cooler with me. The following morning breakfast was buffet style and was very limited, breakfast was a challenge, and Lunch was ridiculous as the only meat on the menu was pork, they had no chicken or fish. Eventually there was some fried chicken available (limited) the chicken was actually chicken parts chopped up and fried crispy dry. Once you have lunch which finishes at 2:30pm there is nothing until dinner at 7pm. We spent most of the time on the beach sleeping and chilling, if you have kids there are no games or entertainment for them, the only water sport available free of cost is Kayaking which was fun. Negril Beach is one of the best beaches in Jamaica, and if Merrils didn’t have the Beach it would have to close down, by the way when we were there Merrils 1 and Merrils 3 were both closed. This was the first resort I have ever been to and couldn’t wait to check out, we spent 2 nights here and honestly we were totally disappointed, some people will say you get what you pay for but in my books I think no matter what you pay for it should be value for money. Merrils was US$180 per night which is not cheap, RIU is US$215 per night and offers a much more superior All Inclusive package, you name it they have it, and food and liquor is all night. While we were there we could see a lot of disgruntled guests mainly Europeans, and the owner of the property was there chilling under a gazebo with is friends like everything was ok, well if I was him knowing that both Merrils 1 and 3 were closed and Merrils 2 is on the brink of closure I wouldn’t be so relaxed.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank niya001

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

Kingston, Saint Andrew, Jamaica
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Well, this was the second time my family and I were staying with friends and it was horrid. Some of the staff members were rude and out of order, the food wasn't good,they stole some of our food and there were dirty areas.

The lady at the front desk gave my mom attitude after mom requested some rags that weren't placed in the room after it was cleaned. This guy in the dinning area got upset after we asked to join to tables together for a group of us to eat.

The food was really bad, nothing more to it. They didn't replenish the food when needed either. Got to breakfast at 8 (when it started at 7) and majority of the food was done. We gave them brownies to serve guests and they didn't have them (they sent it to the other Merril's). Turns out the other hotel didn't get it.

Outside on the patio are in the roof was dirty and one table cloth was dirty and wasn't replaced

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Liz T
Boston
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We visited there the 2nd half of our vacation to Negril in August. First off the beach here is great. We have 2 teenage kids (15 and 17) and there's plenty to do all around - jet skiing etc..
The hotel facilty is ok - 3 star. clean and well maintained for the most part but showing signs of w&t. Again, you get what you pay for. My biggest complaint was the food and drinks. Not very good. Same ole day after day with not a big selection. I will say that the staff and kitchen crew do the best with what they're given and try to be very accomodating. Charlie and Teneisha were extremely friendly and helpful as was the chef (made my kids grilled cheese and pasta when he could) Most of the guests while we were there were European - not a big deal but not many that spoke English. You feel somewhat isolated. No nightlife to speak of. We had an ok time but will definately try someplace else due to the food choices.

Room Tip: spend a little extra - get a room/suite by the ocean
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family