“Bang for the buck!”

Ranked #48 of 80 Hotels in Negril
San Diego, California
“Bang for the buck!”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

If you want a resort that provides three meals a day and alcoholic drinks till 10pm, this is the place. For a seven night stay for two, including transportation to and from Montego Bay airport, I ended up spending around $800. $800 in Negril Jamaica right on the famous Seven Mile Beach with everything included. Can't beat that. I love to travel cheap and was thoroughly impressed.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Salahhudin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Falmouth, Trelawny
Reviewed 20 April 2013 via mobile

Wonderful place to be but would be better if they could have an open bar with not only sink but something to eat also,if you happen to miss breakfast , lunch or dinner you have to go out on the street for food , room service a plus atmosphere wonderful staff great and well attentive. Another thing in the dinning room there was a lot of flies that needs to put under control :( that part wasn't great

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank simdob
Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We have stayed at Merrils ll four time over the years, the first time it was great this was in the late 80's, but every time since it got worse and this time it was just plain BAD. The rooms are OK, beds and pillows are lumpy, we had no hot water for two days and sometimes no water at all. They blamed it on a drought but we also stayed on the cliffs an had so much water pressure almost knocked you over. Make sure your resort has their own water tanks and pump also a generator. The food, well for the most part it was not eatable. The drinks are the best joke of all, the booze is so watered down and they don't use fruit in their drinks anymore it is all just flavors out of a bottles. I must say the housekeeping was good, front desk was OK, dinning room help sucked and the guard on the beach was no help and sometimes wasn't around. Since I had been there over the last 25 years I can see the owners have not been doing any maintenance or upkeep to the place at all or very little if any. I talked to many other guests and most felt the same.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank krfrea

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

MIlwaukee, WI
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This is my third stay at Merril's 2 and I'm sorry to say, it will be my last. This place has really gone down hill in the past 5 years and although I always set my expectations low for Jamaica, this place very much disappointed me. The rooms, although freshly painted, are incredibly dark, with heavy curtains that are almost impossible to open. The beds are lumpy and I'm not sure there is a word to describe the old pillows (which I'm guessing have NEVER been replaced). The grounds are nice and the beach is raked each morning. Merrill's location on the beach is okay, but it gets very noisy during holidays because it butts up to the public land (think loud base beating for 24 hours straight). The all inclusive plan is a joke unless you like syrup in your drinks, flat soda, bones and broth. Breakfast is good as they do make fresh omelets to order. My biggest complaint is the service. The staff doesn't seem to care for the guests at all and often acts as though we are an inconvenience. My room had zero hot water for the 4 nights i was there and sometimes no water at all! You can tell the front desk staff about your problems, but they don't offer any assistance. They charge you 3 dollars a day for the use of the in room safe and only have one key for each room. I can't express enough how disappointed I was with my stay. There are so many places to stay in Negril, don't waste your time here, no matter the price. See my reviews for the White Sands and the Blue Cave Castle - two places I highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Krissy5252
United States
Reviewed 5 March 2013

If you are into the number 1 music hits from 1958 thru 1974 then this is the place for you. The music was the same looped moldy oldies for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was like fingernails on a chalkboard by day 3. What we want to hear in Jamaica is reggae! I could have stayed home and turned my radio to a station that plays oldies.
The reception staff and housekeeping staff were excellent as always.
Two of the servers were sullen and moody to the point of making us uncomfortable. There was one in particular who seemed to spread her nasty mood to the other servers. She actually referred to guests as being "filthy" I don't think she knew we heard this. We would actually go to a different Merril's for our meals if she was in the dining room at Merril's 2. We wondered if it was something we had done wrong as we felt that we were ignored or neglected by several of the servers. We were nothing but polite and respectful.
The young man at the bar deeply offended us by insinuating that my husband had an incestuous relationship with his own sister. He also would make jokes at guest's expense in his native language with people we can only assume were his friends as they were not wearing guest wrist bands. I ended up trying to avoid him if I could. Is this good business? The wonderful experience of our previous trip to Merril's has been tarnished this visit. We might try Merril's 1 next visit. Maybe we can feel again the way we did the first time we stayed with them.
I strongly suggest bringing ones, fives, tens and twenties in American money so you can give them exact amounts because they dont have enough to make change or break a large bill some of the time.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank C C
Negril, Jamaica
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Clean rooms ,great beach area, friendly staff and very reasonable rates. You can still afford to go do & see other things or not, with 3 Merrill's reasturants to choose from. We prefer #2 but have stayed at all 3 places, after 15 years they are all like family. Rasta Mikey is a safe bet but be careful of the dude just between 1 & 2 ( he sits on a white cooler) scary!!!

Room Tip: Ocean front very nice , quieter away from dining area.find out who your regular maid is & suck u...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Thank Mike & Cath... M
Reviewed 11 February 2013

We booked in for 3 nights at this property described to us by the travel agent as beautiful and breathtaking- we paid £280 for 3 nights but within 20 mins at the hotel we realised its not the hotel for us- we went to reception to explain out dissatisfaction but we were asked to signed a waiver. We did and left. Upon our arrival in the UK I called the travel agent- hotel of the Caribbean and described my experience. In the meantime, I emailed the hotel directly and was offered a full refund by Gylls but I need to get the travel agent to request it- this was on the 17th of Dec- however, on the 25/01- someone by the name of Diana saying no refund. Can the hotel please explain to how much worse can my travel experience be- management- just get this resolve as I just want to move on from this terrible ordeal.

• Stayed November 2012