Merrils Beach Resort II
US$99
  • Pool
US$212
US$193
Travellers Beach Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$71
US$69
US$120
US$61
  • Pool
Xtabi Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$76
Hotels.com
Negril Tree House Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$160
US$150
  • Breakfast included
White Sands Negril(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$78
Cancelon
Hedonism II(Negril)
US$767
US$484
US$469
Bookit.com
All reviewssecurity guardfresh fruitlove negrilextra towelsfrozen drinksred stripeplenty of chairsocean frontgreat vacationjerk chickenbeachresortlocalsrastamileamericansmaids
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Merrils has a lot of potential, but right now, its not the place to spend the typical honeymoon, anniversary or special occasion, unless you plan to stay indoors for the most part. A BEAUTIFUL property, but limited if any choice of food and liquor (try one meat and two types or so of liquor per property). The good news is that you can property-hop so if like me, you don't eat fried chicken and Merrils 11 prepared that for lunch, Merrils 1 might have curried chicken or goat. The pool is really just not a pool and more of a large cold-tub (opposite of hot tub). The rooms and staff are exquisite. With the right management and correction of the average mentality, the property should do well. Merrils 111 was closed at my time of visiting.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Keisha K
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Merrils might not be to everyone's taste, but this little all inclusive boutique garden paradise can be just the escape you need! No staff constantly in your space asking what you need. Friendly staff are all around if you need anything, which worked for me. I stayed at Merrils 2 (also 1&3), in a garden facing room, approximately 40 yards from the white sands of the seven mile beach..amazing. Rooms were average, comfortable and air-conditioned. All in all it was a refreshing break from the hustle and bustle of life...literally!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank cocoplum19
Reviewed 30 September 2013

First - This is not the swanky all-inclusive resort you're used to if you stay at chain resorts!

Now that we have that distinction out of the way - YOU WILL LOVE IT HERE - as long as you are open to new experiences, local flavor, and simply need basic accommodations (a room with a bed and bathroom). You will not be "pampered," but you will be well cared for. You certainly get what you paid for and more!

We were married in April 2004 at a Sandals, as we thought that was where our friends and family would be the most comfortable. However, my husband and I are a bit more adventurous and after everyone left we moved to Merrils II for our honeymoon. Best decision ever! We knew we would be out and about quite a bit so we paid for a less-than-all-inclusive meal package (I think it was 1 meal of our choice a day). It worked great, as we did not feel like we were tied into having our meals at the resort (because "we paid for them already"). And honestly, we ended up eating at the "shack" next door. They're food was amazing - best lobster I've ever had to this day - and we paid less than the meal package would have cost.

Also, at the time (not sure if this is still the case) we could have our meal at any of the three Merrils resorts. So if we did not like the featured dinner at our resort, we could walk down to the first Merrils and eat there instead.

Yes, there are locals on the beach. Yes, many are trying to sell you something.
No, you are not in danger if you say no. Just be polite: "No thank you. Respect!"
Yes, you may make a life-long friend with a local, who shows you the road-less-traveled in Negril (the "seedy underbelly"), and have stories that you will tell for 10 or more years!

In fact, that is exactly what happened on our honeymoon! We also made friends with people from Germany and North America.

Now we are planning our 10 year anniversary and we are booking at Merrils II again! We look forward to making new friends and seeing old friends.
(Note: Our date of travel was actually April 2004)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IrieWoMon
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

This was our fourth trip to Merrill's. We've been back to Jamaica many times, & stayed everywhere from the Ritz-Carlton Rose Hall, to Holiday Inn Sunspree, but we always come back to Merril's. Here's why, and what you need to know before you decide whether to book a visit here....
Merrill's isn't a "resort." You won't have 24-hour buffets, beachside bar service, & a host of activities & entertainments to keep you occupied without leaving the property. What you will have is a clean but basic room, 3 meals a day, (at times listed in the hotel info booklet) & one little bar with drinks served from 11ish to 10:00pm. The beach is absolutely the most beautiful in Jamaica, but yes, it is open to the "locals," (I don't know why people seem to think it shouldn't be. It is their country, after all) and yes, they will try to sell you things, everything from fruit, to lobsters, to bracelets, to newspapers. Buy them or not. If you say "no, thank you," they'll leave you alone, & for the few that don't, the hotel's security will send them off. (But there's nothing better than sitting on the beach & buying a fresh coconut, which the bar can top off with some rum, for a rum-and-coconut water!)
As for the food, it's basic, it's healthy, but it does repeat itself. Yesterday's fried chicken does show up in today's stew, and today's rolls might be tomorrow's bread pudding. That's how Jamaicans eat at home, by the way. However, there are plenty of great little restaurants within a short walking distance, so if you want some variety, eat a meal or two out. (We do). You're saving enough money staying here that you can do that.
The hotel does not have any of its own entertainment, but fortunately it's in the absolute best location to walk up or down the beach to see some great live music at night. (We just caught Andrew Tosh, son of Peter Tosh, right down at the Roots Bamboo. Also great for music are Alfred's--next door, and Bourbon Beach a couple properties over). Nothing is ever "100% safe," but we've never had any trouble walking to or from any venues on the beach at night...just a bunch of people trying to sell us ganja, but a simple "no thanks" works fine.
In short, when you're at Merril's, you'll know you're in Jamaica. It's comfortable, basic, clean, quirky, & at times troubling, but it's a place you can really fall in love with if you give it a chance. (Think less "Great Hotels" and more "Lonely Planet" & you get the idea.). One of these days, all these great little hotels may be replaced by big chain resorts, even along 7-Mile Beach, and that will really be a shame.

• Stayed: July 2013
14  Thank mamaprib
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Rooms - My daughter and I stayed at the hotel in May 2013 for only 3 nights on the weekend. The room was okay....the shower in terms of the water pressure could be much, much better. The shower was so small I literally had my hands at my side so I could turn around to take a shower. However, before you take a shower you need a washrag. When we checked in there wasn't any. When we requested one, the housekeeper who brought it told me she could only locate this one and it was in the dryer. The rag was half-dry. We did not get another until late Saturday evening.

The living area is very informal. Those chairs were hard and very straight. You would think since there is no entertainment, they could have at least made the rooms comfortable for you to relax in, so we sat on the porch and talked. The grounds are small but well kept and so while walking we saw others chatting on the porch as well. We had a good night sleep.

Meals - You are only provided with 3 meals so if you get there after 2:00 or 2:30 (whichever is check-in) don't expect to be fed until 7pm when its dinner. Luckily, I saw this gentleman eating a sandwich and when I enquired from the waitress, she brought us a sandwich. However, you can drink as much as you want.

The meals were horrible (cold, burnt or just okay). The only thing I loved was the breakfast on Saturday but only because I had choices (there is not a lot). They usually have a Jamaican buffet on Saturdays...30 mins later they ran out of an item and they did not replace it. Sometimes the meal starts a little late so don't be taking up an plate until they tell you to do so. Also, I hated the presentation of the desserts (the cake icing was soft due to the heat I presume) and the choices. They had about 2-3 cakes and all they tasted the same.

There is no entertainment, so you are on your own.

Beach - The beach is great. You can walk for miles, just be prepared for crafters asking you to come look at their stuff. That was fine...they don't hassle you to buy. There is security at the hotel and he really makes sure you are not bothered when you are on the beach.

Service - other than the rag situation, the staff were friendly.

Location - I loved how close it was to the duty-free shops.

Miscellaneous - I should point out that I worked at an all-inclusive hotel before and was expecting something similar. So read the site well before coming and don't expect what you usually get at an all-inclusive hotel like Hedonism, Sandals, etc. If the food was better I would go back or even recommend it. I notice that not a lot of North Americans were there. I guess they catered to Russians, Germans or some other nationality as those were the language I saw in the rooms on couple of items (cant remember).

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family