“Great value”

Merrils Beach Resort II
Ranked #46 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 1 January 2009

Just spent a great week at MerrilsII. When we arrived they said our room wouldn't be ready until the next day, so they put us up in a tiny room so small we could't even turn around in it. Later we were refunded the amt. from our travel agent. I tried to work out a lobster dinner for 2 through the hotel, but they were'nt going for it. But, the next day we were moved to our deluxe garden view room, and we were very pleased. We had 2 full size beds, a mini fridge, a balcony with table and chairs. And our room had the coolest looking ceiling. We loved the beach there, plenty of loungers. Alot of action going on!!As far as the food, I really think they try to please everyone there. You will find someting you like. There is a pretty big selection to choose from. It's not the Ritz Carlton, but I think it is a great value. The staff were very nice. I plan on going back again. We were out numbered by German, and Italian guests, but I didn't mind at all. One drawback is the bar serves Real rock, and not Redstripe. Over all Merrils gets a big thumbs up from me.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KBJAMMIN

Reviewed 19 December 2008

Our stay at Merrill's II was from November 27th, til December 7th, 2008. We arrived at Merrill's and were met with smiles and a friendly reception. Our only problem was we had to spend our first night in a small room, due to their overbooking and we had to wait til 3:00 p.m. the next day to get our balcony room. Other than that we had a great stay.

This is a budget all inclusive, which includes 3 meals per day and drinks, alcoholic and non-alcoholic. Meals were pretty good. Drinks were really good too. Try the Hummingbird! Yum. Out of 14 of us, no one complained about the food. It was served fresh and hot and on time. There was plenty of variety. No this is not a Sandals, gourmet type food, but you will find something to eat you like, on the buffet.

We found our rooms clean and the daily room cleaning from the maids was satisfactory. All the staff were pleasant and went out of their way to accommodate any requests we had. We had an aged parent that needed a refrigerator in their room, due to him needing to keep his insulin cold. No problem mon! Within a few minutes one was provided at no charge. We so appreciated it!

We found the beach not too busy this time of year. We have been in Negril for New Years and in February. So, this was a surprise to enjoy the not so busy beach. Yes, there are still a few hagglers on the beach trying to make a living. Yes, it can be a little distracting, but a simple No, thanks, I'm Irie, will do.

We did book a trip from John on the beach for a trip to YS Falls and Black River for $50 per person, and it included lunch. $35 for a sunset cattamaran trip booze cruise. We had a great time.

We had a great time with our friends. Would recommend Merill's II to anyone that is looking for a clean place to stay in Negril that is very affordable.

Stayed: November 2008
4  Thank sushifarmer
Reviewed 11 December 2008

We just returned from Merrils and lvoed it. All of the staff were pleasant, accommodating and provided good service. We stayed in the 1000's of Merrils II. Our room had a large semi-private (a wooden-laced wall separated us from the neighboring room) and we faced the ocean, the beach was about 30yds from our front door. We fell asleep to the sound of the waves each night. The room was very large with simple furnishings. The food was served buffet style 3 times a day. For the first 3 days, we thought it was great food. But by the 4th day, we were looking for other options. This wasn't a problem even though it is an all-inclusive resort. It was such a cheap deal that we didn't mind finding meals at other places. We were very happy with our stay at Merrils and think it is a perfect place if you're looking to enjoy Negril on a budget and get all the benefits of its beautiful seven mile beach!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jm1221
Reviewed 21 August 2008

First off I love Negril, and have been visiting for years. It's my favorite place in the world. When I visit I roam around the surrounding area and have fun, I don't just sit around the hotel. All I'm really looking for in a hotel is good location, reasonable price, decent & clean rooms with plumbing and AC that works, decent food, and staff that is friendly and doesn't hassle me. Merrils fits the bill, so that's where I stay these days. You'd be surprised how many hotels in Negril do *not* meet these criteria.

Merrils is in a great spot right in the middle of 7-mile beach, easy walking distance to the beach parties and The Jungle nightclub (if you're into such things). It's all-inclusive but not one of those that tries to fence you in: you're right out there on the beach and can freely walk in and out of the hotel or drive in and out if you have a rental car, without feeling constantly "watched". The rooms I've gottten at Merrils have been clean and nice. You can bring guests to your room (e.g. if you have local Jamaican friends) without the staff hassling you, which (surprisingly) is a big issue at some of the other resorts. The food at Merrils is decent but not great. The pool is a nice feature. The hotel is German-owned (I think) and the clientele seem to include a lot of Europeans (Germans, Italians) which is OK with me even though I'm American. Merrils has a nice friendly atmosphere. If you take advantage of everything included in the all-inclusive rate at Merrils (food, drinks, beach equipment like kayaks etc), it's actually a good price.

All in all, I give Merrils a thumbs up.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Jamaicah0lic
Reviewed 19 August 2008

I stayed at Merril II only last week with my husband and two children. I found the accomodation basic but clean and the food was fine with enough choices. The bar could have been a bit more interesting but for what you pay it is good value for money. The beach was lovely and clean, but there were a few hagglers which were a bit annoying. Staff were pleasant and overall the stay was great. I would recommend.

Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank PearlgemLondon_UK
Reviewed 8 August 2008

Frist let me tell you that I have been to Jamacia 6 times with my husband. I went with a girl friend on this visit.
We chose Merrils 2 because if offered a budget minded trip with lots of local flavor. Rooms were really clean and simple. All you need as you aren't in your room for long. The people who worked at Merrils were all plesent and helpful. The suceurity was owsom Collin made sure we had everthing we needed to a walk down to Alfrods or coffee with sweet cream at 6:00 am. Love ya Collin. We also spent some time at Merrils 1 The bar is much nicer down there and loved spending time with John. Keep the bathroom just like it is. The food was more then we thought it would be. By the end of the week we got tiried of the food and went to Cosmose for a cheese burger. The mac and cheese was the best I have ever eaten,. Drinks are not top shevel but you also have to rember what you payed for your vacation. As for the man who wrote about fleas in the room. We met him and there are some people who you cant please no matter what. He had a child with him and there is not much for a child to do. No fleas in our room. As for the beach. Its not for the light hearted Lots of venders selling there wears. Just a polite no and they will move on. Bring floats with you. You can give them to the local kids when you get ready to leave. You are in walking distance to a lot of things. We spent a day on Booby Key and had lobster on the grill. You take the boat out right in front of the hotel. Worth the trip. All in All well go back in a heart beat. Thanks Merrils for a great trip.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
5  Thank maidinheaven
Reviewed 13 July 2008

I just got back from an aweful week at Merrils 2. This is the first time I have ever wanted a vacation to end. Our room was infested with fleas. We woke up every day with bites all over our legs. When we told the front desk about this they sent in a guy with a can of bug spray which didn't do anything. This place is disgusting. Don't go!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family