“excellent service”

Merrils Beach Resort II
Ranked #51 of 85 Hotels in Negril
“excellent service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2004

This was my first time traveling to negril. I warn ya dont travel the beach alone at night, the second night i was there i think i ran into every waco out there that night. but besides that its a great place to visit. Everyone at the resort was great and very helpfull. theyll bend over backwards to make sure you have a good time. they treat you like your at a 5 star resort. they offer a variety of jamaican cuisine. and make sure ya tip if you want good service. over all it was a great trip.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2004

My husband and I and our two teenage kids went to Negril October 21 thru October 27 2004. Our flights were flawless and when we arrived in Montego Bay we got through customs without any trouble. From the moment we our feet hit the ground in Jamaica everyone was wonderful! Our bus ride to Negril was great and we sat back sipping on our first (of many) Red stripe’s. We stopped midway and had a nice little break.

We arrived at Merrill's II and were greeted by Andy for check in. That went well and we were taken to our home away from home. The rooms are large and spacious with a nice seating area and a TV. area. Large high ceilings and a huge closet with in room safe. There were fresh flowers in our room everyday from the gardens right outside. We took our two teenage kids with us and they had a bottom floor room and we had a top floor room right above them. We had balconies and we used them everyday.

You walk straight down through the resort and you come to the pool area. Nice pool, large deck area with plenty of seating, and a small outside bar. The restaurant is open air and really nice. Everyone there was wonderful to us. Collen, Charlie to name a few. They took care of our every need. We always had the best seat for our meals, and our drink glasses were never empty. Tipping is not required, but I highly recommend it. You seem to get much better service. A few hundred Jamaican can go a long way at each meal. The food there was good, buffet style and something different at every meal. We have picky teenagers’ and had no problems at meal time.

Another suggestion I have is to bring small bills nothing over a $20. Many singles though. Getting change was a problem for us.

Stepping right off the restaurant deck onto the beach. There are several big trees to help shade you through out the day which we took full advantage of. Get out there early to reserve your lounge chair is a must (they go fast!). We spent most of our time while there lounging the beach most of the day. You must sit through the sun sets. The most beautiful I have ever seen!!

As for the beach, it is so beautiful, the breeze is almost constant, but not enough to be a bother, just enough to keep you cool. I highly recommend taking lots of sun screen with you. We were burnt by day 2 with sun block on. You need to reapply often!

Here is a warning for first timers there. The vendors!! We were bothered often by them. I understand that is how the make a living, but from the second we stepped out onto the beach we were bothered. There is security but they didn’t seem to do a whole lot about it. From the deck portion of the beach to the just before the waterline is the resorts property and they aren’t supposed to bother you. From the waterline into the ocean its fair game. So be prepared to be asked about jewelry, sarongs, carvings, massages, tours, glass bottom boats, parasailing and so on. We walked on one day from Merrill's II down to Margarittaville and were constantly bothered there and back. We would just smile and say no thank you and keep walking. Seems to be the best way to deal with them if you don’t want to be bothered. And at night they can come up into the resort property on the beach so being on the beach at night didnt work for us either. They were mainly asking about drugs then. This is really the only bad thing I have to say about my trip. We did give the vendors around us money for there wears and they seemed to leave us alone after that. We used Larry and Danny for the glass bottom boat tour (went snorkeling twice) and we used them for arranging our parasailing. I highly recommend doing both. There is also jet skiing available too. Also, be prepared to be approached about drugs. Our teenagers were even approached. It is illegal and I wouldn’t recommend doing it. We could smell it most of the days we were there.

Over all I think it was a great vacation and I would recommend Merrill's II to anyone traveling to Negril. Would I go back again? Yes!!!

• Stayed October 2004
16 Thank Lorijobson
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2004

My husband, his mother and his mother's friend and I visited Merill's II from Dec. 1 to Dec. 8. The rooms were very clean and the wait staff very helpful and friendly. I have nothing but praise for them. We were on a name to name basis in no time. The only thing that we were not fond of was the food selection. Chicken every day with some other kind of meat got monotonous. The only fruit was watermelon and pineapple. If they improve the food selection, I will definitely return. See Mikey for an awesome Glass Bottom boat ride. He is the Man! Make sure you take some gifts for the kids to Selena's restaurant.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2004

We (a couple from the Netherlands) stayed at Merrils II from 5 thru 19 september. In spite of hurricane Ivan wich took place from 10 to 12 september we will plan our next vacation in Merrils II again. Allthough after the hurricane all inclusive service was not what it used to be before the hurricane service overall was still outstanding, staff was very friendly and still trying to make things run smoothly. I think it was due to management decisions that after the hurricane the variety of drinks available was reduced dramatically (for about 5 days). Food was allways excellent, drinks too (before the hurricane) the garden was beautiful, beach is very close and allways tidy. Trips (by boat or car) are offered by locals on the beach. Negotiate! You might want to book with Mike (he has a glass bottom boat right at the beach called One Love). Do not book with Johnny (from the parasailing boat). I booked a trip to Black River and paid some in advance. Because of the hurricane trip was cancelled and we never got back the money. Security staff will always keep away locals that are to persistent in trying to sell you something. For 9 days we had no power (due to the hurricane), for 5 days no running water and still we are anxious to go back to Merrils!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2004

My family and I stayed for 8 days June 25 through July 2. We really had a blast. We took our two teenagers and they loved it as well. The staff is wonderful accomodating and very friendly, We were all on a first name basis before the end of the 2nd day , as far as the food it was good, there was always something everyone could eat, the drinks were fine, a little tip does'nt hurt if you want a little more "rum" in your punch , they deserve it anyway ! Rooms were clean and large , Beach was clean , we never had a problem with finding chairs, and the security very observant with the vendors and didnt allow too much hasseling. Be sure and hook up with Mike ONE LOVE Glass boat , he was great! Can't wait to go back, will stay here again !

• Stayed June 2004
2 Thank lauratex
New Bedford, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2004

I loved Merril's 2. The room, food, atmoshere, people all were great. I will never stay anywhere else. They made me feel very comfortable. The beach was beautiful. The drinks were always plentiful. The staff made sure we had a blast....

1 Thank terilov234
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2004

Clean, simple--no frills. Bad room to begin at Merrills 2 but changed to better room the next day. Staff was bland. Food just OK. Bar was poor. Cheap price but would not stay there again.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member