“Great view, friendly staff, subpar rooms & overpriced restaurant”

and 1 more site!
Our Past Time Villas
Ranked #70 of 81 Hotels in Negril
seattle, wa
“Great view, friendly staff, subpar rooms & overpriced restaurant”
Reviewed 8 January 2010

I stayed here instead of an all-inclusive resort to attend a wedding. It is a mere 20 feet from the beach, has a great view (esp from 2nd floor) and is right on the water. It is nestled between all inclusive resorts and so is very quiet with few hassles. As a single female traveler I felt safe (not always a given in J). While the staff were very friendly, they were not very accessible via email (e.g. to arrange travel from the airport to the hotel).

The room, though clean, was run down with rust on the bathtub, a broken safe and old furnishings -- not really worth the $145 USD as published on their website ...especially after I found out another foreign guest was paying only $60 USD/nt. Breakfast was not included in the rate. The walls are thin too which made for poor sleep one night. There was A/C but no fan, no alarm clock and you couldn't call internationally though the phone had instructions to do so. The restaurant was a rip off, charging $12 USD for a small omlete, toast and coffee at breakfast among other overpriced meals I had there. Food was simple and decent but nothing fabulous.

If I had to do it again, I'd do a more thorough search of the area for similar priced hotels. Its not an entirely bad option given the location and safety and may be a good value (I didn't look very hard) but it is not without its drawbacks.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
Rebecca R, Marketing Agency at Our Past Time Villas, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Thank you for your review.

I'm sorry that we've taken so long to get back to you. Since your stay with us, we've made significant improvements to our facilities. We hope you'll give us a second chance to serve you. Please get in touch and we'll do our best to make it up to you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Tarpon Springs, Florida
Reviewed 15 June 2008

i stayed at 'our past time' the first part of june 2008. it was a very quiet time in negril, as it usually is in the summer. but i have the idea it's slower than normal. few tourists. but this place is situated in one of the best, prime areas of negril beach. it's a small operation between Sandals and Beaches (the big all inclusives). an absolutely wonderful beach here. some of negril's beaches have been eroded by the last few hurricanes, but not here.

'our past time' is a quiet little oasis in some of the usually 'hard sell, pushy' areas in negril. there is no loud reggae till all hours of the night, but big loud parties are just up the road when you want that. the property is small, but very well tended. it's a little paradise. the rooms are basic and very clean. the bathrooms are nicely tiled and clean, with cute pedestal sinks, and modern mirrors and glass shelves. there was actually good water pressure here (a rare thing in my experience). my room was on ground level and looked right out to the sea, with a small verandah to sit and eat or drink or read etc. the ones on the second floor are balconies.

the staff treated me so wonderfully. kirkland, the manger, is one of kindest and most helpful guys you could imagine. (i was a pain in the neck for him) the rest of the crew are also very nice. there are some local hangers on here like most other places in negril. the exception here is that they are all very friendly, rather than being indifferent to the tourists, they make one feel right at home. big up to schoolboy, latoya the bartendress and waitress, buddy the cook, and vivette, my sister that cleaned the rooms.

you can't go wrong with 'our past time' if you just want a simple negril holiday. no frills, but nice, clean, friendly... what more could you want? i would stay there again in a heart beat.

• Liked — quiet, clean, friendly
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank jamdownron
Georgia
Reviewed 13 January 2008

Our Past Time is one of the first little hotels on Negril beach. The owner has maintained the place like a small resort with upgrades throughout the rooms and landscape. He obviously takes pride in this place as well as the staff he employs as all are very professional and treat you special.

Kirkland-Manager-Made sure our room was top notch and always had the answer to any of our request.

Martin, Latoya and Kevon always had the bar and restaraunt in excellent condition. Clean and prompt.

Delly, security man, needs a vacation. This dude is constantly on the move, 24/7, watching after the place and the guest, insuring all is in order.

David keeps the grounds nicely plush.

We have been to Negril several times over the past three years. We have stayed at the All-inclusive and non AI. We prefer the non-AI.
Cleanliness is not even a question, the entire staff takes pride in keeping this place above any expectation.
Our first at OurPastTime.Will not be our last. Had an excellent stay and will return.
Glad we found this place.

• Liked — Great stay for the price
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank jdale
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 March 2005

After my vow not to ever get sent throught "the ringer" by another All-inclusive resort, I decided to try smaller hotels to save money. I have stayed at a few hotels in Negril including the (AI)s and Our Past Time was the best. The property was clean and I felt safe; the property is truly cozy, quiet, and relaxing. It was little a paradise, my room had a huge picture window and the rising sun would wake me up in the mornings. I could sit on my bed and watch the waves crashing to the shore. The rooms were very clean and nicely decorated, they had cable tv, celing fan, telephone, safe, and AC. Beautiful beach and the staff was pleasant ( when I saw them) ....nobody bothered us that's the best part, we had perfect peace.
They have a little bar & grill where the "Fries" were really good, especially for a late night snack .... Our past time is truly a Gem, and I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed January 2005
20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
balleski, Marketing Manager at Our Past Time Villas, responded to this review, 25 February 2011
Thanks for the wonderful review, please stay intouch with us and help us by posting more wonderful reviews.
once you have been to Our Past Time Villas Bbecome a part of the past time family .
feel free to write to us and tell us what is going on with you .