“I never wanted to leave” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Summerset Village
Ranked #72 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“I never wanted to leave”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2011

Recently, thanks in no small part to a wonderful bargain deal I got from the manager, was able to spend 26 days in Negril at Summerset Village, and got far more than I paid for. The room was well kept as are the grounds, the dining room serves up cheap and tasty meals, the pool is sparkling clean, and it was located in a rural residental area, but just approximately a short two block walk to the main road. Route taxis are 100J from the cliffs to the roundabout, then another 100J from the roundabout to the beach. You can pay more for a private taxi if you want, but unless it's night, there's really no need to. This is an ideal place for someone who wants to get a taste of the real Jamaica and yet still be close to all that is going on. Most of the places in Summerset Village do have kitchenettes, except the air conditioned rooms which are in the eight room block I was in, and it suited my needs perfectly. I recommend this place highly and will definitely be staying again. Talk to Petronella and she will be sure to get you a great deal.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Negrilah0lic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2011

I really enjoyed my stay. The atmospher is relaxing and the neighbors are friendly. However, this is not the place to stay if you dont enjoy nature(lizzards/bugs) or like to be pampered. You will basically be left alone to do everything to cooking and cleaning. The houskeeping is not everyday. The rooms are quite basic but spacious and clean.

This is a pefect retreat for people who enjoy country living or camping. Very peaceful but if you are a person who loves the night scene be prepared to shell out cash for taxi rides.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2010

If you want to experience the true real Jamaica, then I highly recommend visiting Negril and Summerset Village Resort. I discovered Summerset Village by recommendation of a friend that recently stayed there. It is located up on the West End, walking distance to Rick's Cafe, The Rock House Resturant and the cliffs at the oceanside, with many other good resturants nearby. Summerset Village is located on a side street off the one main road going up to the West End. The stars in the sky are absolutely breath taking at night, and the quietness of the area very relaxing. The different types of rentals are very unique, some with Kitchens equipped with everything you need. The grounds are beautiful kept, the pool is always clean and the resturant and bar has everything you need. All the staff was very pleasant and maid service was always there to help you.
The office staff especially Miss Petrenella had everything I needed or wanted right away, and she is one of the lovelist woman I have ever met.

Every day I would take the walk from the resort down to the beach which is about a 3 mile walk. The people I met along the way at there shops or just walking along was worth a thousand words. If you don't want to walk then Bunny the taxi driver is right there to take you wherever you'd like to go. Staying at Summerset Village was another "Real Jamiaca" experience for me. Please check them out at Summersetvillage.net..... and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Essen, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2010

We booked a standard room (BB) in our travel agency. At the airport we were picked up by a tourist bus which is going to negril. All other tourists have already left the bus when we finally arrived. This hotel is far away from the Negril beach - in the middle of no where! The sea is about 1200 feet away, but there are just rocks. To reach it near Rick's Cafe we had to pay an entrance fee.

The continental breakfast was really poor. It starts at 8p.m. Tea/Coffee/Juice/jam was served with french toast -=or=- just two slices of toast and two eggs or omelette! Aside we got some tiny pieces of fruits. Cream was running out daily at 8:30. We felt really hungry. If you want to get more you have to pay more (11 bucks per )

Our agency promised a free transport to the beach, but this is performed by a beach restaurant. Sometimes there was no bus or delayed about one hour. Then management gave them a call to pick us up.

In the afternoon the everybody got a shower. This is why the pressure always went down and hot water trickled down. Just cold water was available. It's cruel to wash long hair. Later we got a hot shower. Some hours there were a blackout and subsequently no water.

The jamaican people chases the dollar. All I can say is you have to pay for everything. Just to see a cascade, for a good breakfirst...

The rooms were clean and it is a silent place. The people -except the waiter- are friendly and helpful. Get only an appartment without any catering - then you got also a kitchen with refridge. Keep water in case of a water shortening

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Negril hotels

Indianapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2009

I have been to Jamaica 4 times. I initially stayed in Montego Bay, and it was ok. It was like going on vacation in the US. The next time I went to Jamaica, I stayed at Sandals in Negril. I never got to see Jamaica! I stayed there and I only saw the beach, and Hedonism. I didn't like that. I have been to Summerset Village since then, TWICE, and I had so much more fun there, then I had at Sandals, or the Windam Rose in Montego Bay!! I would never go back there! I love Summerset Village! I look forward to going back!

Greg!! I love it there!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2009

Stayed for 2 weeks .. loved it ... apart from the fact that our cottages did not have air conditioning which was sooooooo badly needed. We had a ceiling fan and a stand fan which was not enough.!!!

Summerset Village is located just around the corner from Rick's Cafe (world famous supposedly) but you will need transport to get around as it is a bit off the beaten track. Bunny is usually on site to take you out and about and his prices are very reasonable.

Staying at the Village was a good experience. Special thanks to Indian for being a wonderful chef, Ms Campbell for letting me use the internet when she should have been working (sorry for the interruptions) and to Boomblast for the mangoes and for teaching me about turtles. All the staff were courteous and very helpful. Anything you required, they did for you. Also thanks to Bunny for being a good tour guide.

See you next year (God willing)

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
ober-moerlen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2009

Hello Gregg,
oh I hate to leave but time is running short so I thought to give you a little feedback & update before I'm off.
I declare Miss Campbell is taking real good care of this place so don't you worry, Mr.President!
In #5 I got fresh towels & sheets whenever needed, the shower has been fixed. Steven immediately took care of them partly ripped off miquito screens on my bedroom windows so them bugs wont bug me or anyone moving in after me: man, it was raining pretty hard at noon time yet that guy was standing out there tacking them screens properly!
Sanchez & the Indian are doing a perfect job to feed & serve the guests for their best the cocktail & fruit drinks are still as delicious as ever
Glen & Steven are always busy keeping the yard in a good shape & the people safe at night. Pauline did my washing + ironing perfectly & Blossom.... well she showed up from time to time
so you see:
I left lots of money at the bar & restaurant so it's even in a bit better shape than before and NO COMPLAINTS from me, Sir!
I had a good time back here in Jamaica & Summerset Village
and if the Lord don't mind it one thing is for sure mi soon come back: next year same time so please keep #5 in shape for me till I'm back!
Thanks & take care