“Solo Female”

Whistling Bird Resort
Ranked #42 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 19 May 2012

First trip to Negril. The staff at the WB are somewhat nice. But, they are busy with work and when their not busy with work they were not trying to serve you. The bar was the reception desk. So, if your sitting at the bar staff should ask you if you need anything like lunch or a drink. I saw the owners on grounds during my entire stay. Why didn't they ask me if I was enjoying my stay at the WB or if I needed anything? Thats what I would do if I wanted to run a successful business! I really don't think they care.
The shower room is beautiful and spacious. However, water pressure was low, hot water was sporadic and sometimes the water stop coming out completely. Also, people could see me nude in the shower because there was not a curtain covering the window. I had night time guests (Newts, Red Ants, Black Ants and Mosquitos). If the owners are living on grounds who do you think has the best room. I bet they have a vanity curtain, AC and TV. The safe box didn't work.
I stayed five nights at the WB so all drinks and food were put on a weekly grid or tab system that the WB made up. So, I had know idea what they charged me for drinks or what I was spending during my stay. I received one bill at the end of my stay. I like to keep copious notes of my daily spending. Food was good. However, the menu was limited and meals were redundant.
The WB is not a resort or luxurious. My critique is based solely on the WB and not on Negril beach or the Jamaicans. I would not recommend the WB to couples or families. Only, to those who are on a tight budget. The grounds is like a botanical garden---nice! But, they dried linens on clothes lines on the grounds---ghetto! The location on the beach is fantastic. But, if I were you I would give the WB a pass. Try the Charela($$$), Rockhouse($$$), Kuyaba($$$) or Rondel Village($$).

Skip it!

Room Tip: Book your stay directly through the owner and not a third party(i.e expedia).
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank rct1973

Reviewed 7 March 2012

I did not stay at this hotel, but did check it out. The rooms are roomy. It location on the beach is right about the middle of the seven mile beach. It is set back from beach a bit and is serounded by trees and gardens. The resturant is closer to the water ,and under the trees.We ate there at lease four days durning our stay in Negril. One egg, one toast, and one cup of coffee for $4.00. We had scramble eggs each day, they were very fluffy and homemade toast. Great breakfast for the value. I will eat there on my next visit too. Maybe check in there to stay too!

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank JamaicaSueNy_
Reviewed 9 February 2012

My boyfriend and I would escape our gross hotel to dine in the beautiful ambiance of this one. We ate at the whistling bird restaurant four or five times during our week long stay in Negril and wished we had also booked a room here. The garden is amazing and they dont have a public washroom for restaurant guests so allowed us to venture in to a vacant cabin. It was gorgeous! And a mile higher than the place we stayed at (see my other reviews please). We each had chicken dishes during our restaurant visits. My ultimate favourite was the coconut chicken, your mouth will explode in happiness. The chef even came out to accept our thanks and blushed non stop from the praise. The best part was the beautiful ladies who were serving us. They were always smiling, always kind and made us feel right at home with their loving natures.

If we ever return to Negril, I hope we stay here and I hope those ladies are still there!!! Great place, even if you just want to relax and have a beer while sitting amongst a beautiful sanctuary of greenery. It definitely helps you escape the crowds of the beaches and feel more at peace. Kudos to the owner for running such a great operation and for keeping such wonderful staff.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank clk7
Reviewed 28 January 2012

On the evening of 1/16/12 , my girlfriend and I had dinner at the Whistling Bird. We both ordered the coconut shrimp which was the special that day. I aso ordered the pumpkin soup and a Red Stripe. My girlfriend had a non-alcohol Pina Colada. Everything was very good, but I was surprised to be billed $84.15. The website menu [ referenced later] lists the coconut shrimp at $21.00, which I would consider reasonable.

I felt that I was taken advantage of.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Fleetrod
Reviewed 15 January 2012

The beach in Negril is easily one of the best in the world. It fulfills all of our criteria: warm, clean water, the gentlest surf, abundant shade, consistent and stunning sunsets, gentle manta rays gliding along but NO sharks. The Whistling Bird is a resort with location, location, location. Centered right on the beach among an unbelievably beautiful jungle-like garden setting, the cottages nestle into the environment. The feeling is instantly exotic. We have stayed many times over the years - for several important reasons.

Lily is instant Sunshine, Miss G is gracious, Ryan is diligent and they are the true HEART of the place and a great example of hard-working Jamaicans. They bring their knowledge of the culture in a way which is rare in resorts these days. They go above and beyond. Milton provides great at security, Chef Annette is a terrific Jamaican cook, Assistant Manager Chris will jump through any hoop for you and Dennis gives you a glimpse of the next generation's views of Jamaica and the world.

We have been traveling the world for ten years and have rarely experienced such openness, kindness and generosity of spirit. In addition, there are a variety of characters who drop in. They each have fascinating stories of survival: the Cake Lady who makes amazing German Chocolate and Banana Cakes, the highly-proficient artist and the skilled craftsman jeweler. Take time to get to know these people -(even if you just want to relax.) You will have a richness of a world experience far beyond the standard resorts.

That said, prepare for a variety of Challenges. First, the beach requires an Attitude. There are lots and lots of people trying to sell a variety of things. A simple "No" usually works, but luckily the staff watches the grounds to keep them off the property. The beach vendors are not threatening, just irritating. When you walk the long, gorgeous beach - put your game face on. (Don't be shy from walking this beautiful beach - just don't naively engage in conversation.) Also, many visitors come for the nightlife, so bring really good earplugs. It is loud on many nights - Jamaica is known for their music. Luckily, one important appliance in the cottages is the white noise machine; ask for it if you aren't a late-nighter. The Whistling Bird is NOT a luxury accommodation - the sheets are FAR from a 500 count, the hot water varies and air-conditioning/television is only in some cottages. They do have fair wifi throughout the property. Despite all of these challenges- it's charming and addictive. We consider it a RETREAT in a beautiful garden right on the beach.

Over the years, this place occupies some of our great memories. It is a photographer's dream, a beach-lover's mecca, a musical journey and a traveler's reality.

Room Tip: Tell them how you feel about your need for a quiet cabin - they will work to accommodate you. Usual...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TheJuJus
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I visited this resort not having a great understanding of what it was all about. The real plus to this resort is the staff. Everyone is friendly and accommodating. They do tend to come across like family. That can be good and bad. It was great to just sit and chat, but for me sometimes on vacation I just want to zone out and not have to "connect" with people. The rooms were a bit warm at night, and sometimes there were a few bugs or lizards on the walls. Request a room with a fridge and AC...will make your stay more enjoyable.
The best food served was the wonderful breakfast hash browns. they can cook just about whatever you'd like.
although they have security on staff there were some things stolen from room, and beach during the trip. they did their best to shoo away the vendors, but they always approached which was quite annoying. the water was great, and overall a great time!

Room Tip: order the hash browns for breakfast! miss lilly is great as well
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Weezereve6
Reviewed 30 December 2011

The Whistling Bird is a series of cottages and hotel rooms located in a tropical fairyland. You can smell the Jasmine as you walk through the gardens at night. Upon arriving at the breakfast area, I was astounded to see the bright teal blue of the ocean right there at my fingertips! Delicious food, fresh squeezed juice, Blue Mountain Coffee. Everything is locally grown and trust me, you can taste it. The bathrooms are truly unique in the cottages. Walk-in showers with windows open to the trees, feels so earthy and magical. This is the only resort that is located in the midst of the true Jamaican jungle. Everyone else has taken out the trees and replaced it with concrete. This is also one of the oldest resorts in the area, so their experience in hospitality makes you feel very special. Ask them to do a bonfire by the ocean, or find a local musician to sing at a candlelit dinner. Its truly a special, authentic Jamaican experience.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo