“Like Family”

Ranked #40 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Lock Haven, Pennsylvania
“Like Family”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I just went there with a big group and I felt like I was in heaven. I think a lot of the negative reviews of this hotel stem out of people who may not understand that the hotel is not like Sandals where there is a first-world style of service, whereas the whistling bird is run by Jamaicans and the hospitality is a lot different than most people are used to.

What I really valued from this resort was the security on the beach. If I was laying out on the beach, there was always a hotel staff member sitting out there making sure we were safe because lots of people will roam the beach trying to sell you things and don't always take no for an answer. But the staff member would always shoo them along if they weren't getting the picture.

The hotel itself is beautiful, very remote. And the bar/restaurant area is so much fun and accommodating. By the end of my trip I knew all the staff by first name and they told us how happy they were to make us apart of their family. Also, the owner (James) has lived in Jamaica nearly all his life and was able to answer lots of questions and give us great suggestions/tips on what to do, where to go, and what to expect. It was very helpful.

Also, the beach is incredible. Very clean and in a prime location. A couple doors down is a wood carving shop and the carver will not try to swindle you. Also, next door, is a pretty fun nightclub.

I really felt like I was welcomed there and their priority was making sure that I felt comfortable, secure, and happy. I would definitely go again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Lindsey502

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 2 January 2014

we have been going to Jamaica now for 35years, been to Ochie, MoBay....the Beach is the only place, sandy beaches, great food, The Cliffs are but a 10 min cab ride from the Bird, the staff are the best, all we did is say Cab and the staff would arrange transport, make reservations at restaurants, especially the Cliffs ( some u must make, or u will be waiting). one of our simple pleasures is having Blue Mountain coffee on the beach in the morning, let me tell u the world stops when your feet are on the beach with a Blue in your hand and the waves laping at your feet. James the owner is always there and has a very competent staff managing your needs....love to all....enjoy the resort, enjoy the people, but take nothing but the best memories of your life.

Room Tip: get a cottage close to the beach. but they are all close to the beach, bring lots of lotion, even in...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank gphs63
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I love the Whistling Bird! The little cottages are snug and clean, the staff friendly and helpful, the grounds secure and attended by watchful security and the lovely greenery well groomed and lovingly tended to. On the seven miles of white sand beach in Negril, the Whistling Bird is a beautiful way to enjoy the beach, the ocean and fabulous Negril sunsets while not having to leave the comfort of the grounds if you wish to stay put. The food is excellent and the drinks at the bar well made and worth every cent. Having been in Negril several times now, the Whistling Bird is the only place I will stay from now on.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank E J M
Crestone, Colorado
Reviewed 26 April 2013

This was such a relaxing place to stay! It's my first visit to Jamaica, and I am really enjoying it though there is some "culture shock". My stay at this resort helped me to settle in by giving me a safe and quiet place to relax. The staff at this resort are so friendly and treated my boyfriend and I like family. The room was clean and I enjoyed the fine touch of fresh flowers in the room when we arrived. The gardens were pretty and well kept and the staff very knowledgeable about local wildlife and plants...answering all of my questions. The little restaurant and bar on the property catered to our dietary needs with ease. I also appreciated the on site security guard. I could relax on the beach and if locals were bothering me without permission and wanting to sell me things (very common on this beach strip), he would come over and ask them to leave. A safe in the room allowed us to keep our valuables protected.
The only complaint I had was that the windows had no screens so we were forced to use the A/C unit to keep the room cool. Yet the staff offered to put screens on the windows for us---they were ready to make sure that our stay was very comfortable.
This resort is also within close walking distance to many restaurants and bars on teh beach strip, shops, and night life. A yoga center and fitness center were also within walking distance.
Thank you to the friendly staff. I would definitely return here again and bring my friends! ! !

Room Tip: Ask for a room with screens on the windows. it will be more comfortable than a room with closed wind...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank jennifer d
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 January 2013

A nice quiet laid back place with a beautiful part of the beach.When we got there our room wasn't available due to the lock on the door being broke.They upgraded us to a larger room closer to the bar,restaurant and beach with no extra charge.The staff was very nice and the food was some of the best i have had in Jamaica.

Room Tip: The night heron is the room to have
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank russell r
Brooksville, Florida
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My first experience with this hotel was in 2011. I was staying next door to Whistling Bird at Fun Holiday (not a good choice) & spent more time at Whistling Bird then my actual hotel. Fell in love! This year a girlfriend & I went to spend the week, September 1st - 8th. We had a one bedroom, one bath cabin towards the middle of the property. Very cute & plenty of room for the two of us. There was no AC in this cabin, but the hotel does offer certain cabins with AC (if requested) During the day the cabins with no AC can get a little warm, but it didn't bother us a bit. We didn't travel to Jamaica to sit in our hotel room all day. Each night we were more then comfortable/cool & needed a blanket to sleep with.

In the month of September it is off season in Jamaica so therefore certain items on the menu will be unavailable, at any hotel that is, so you can't rate your hotel visit according to the menu if you travel to Jamaica during off season. The people at Whistling Bird are very friendly & everyone there has been long term employees. The owner of the hotel stays right on the property & is available whenever you need him. This hotel offers all inclusive & regular packages to fit anyone's budget. Great location on the beach, always an amazing meal, no matter what you order & always a beautiful sunset!

One down fall to this hotel is.... it is directly across the street from the Jungle night club. Every Saturday & Thursday nights they have a big party & unlike it is in other locations of the world, this night club is able to stay open until 4:00 & sometimes 5:00am. If you're adventurous & would like something like that then the music won't bother you because you will be a part of the party, but if you're looking for pure relaxation & quiet, beware of Saturday & Thursday nights.

Like I say in every review that I write, Jamaica is a third world country. It's very beautiful & has amazing sites to see, places to go & people to meet, but if you're a perfectionist then you may as well stay at one of the fantsy froo froo hotels on the beach. If you're looking to get a nice, rustic, Jamaican feel to your vacation, as you should since you're traveling all the way to JAMAICA then the smaller end hotels is the place to be.

PS - Short walk to Margaritaville.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Brandi A
jmcm13
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Solo, you can't be more wrong, and I find it disappointing that you travel to a third world country and expect to be treated like Paris Hilton. Jamaica is not like the U.S. and the culture is completely different. I would suggest reading up on the culture of Jamaicans, as many things can be interpreted incorrectly. I too, stayed at the Whistling Bird for a whole 3 months as a single female.
The employees of the Resort can be very protective of their guests, especially if you let them know you are uncomfortable. The staff treat repeat customers and the like just as though you are part of a big family. But they also give space to those who are looking for relaxation or romantic time. I wouldn't misinterpret their lack of involvement- as many people come there to relax and get away from the hustle and bustle. This is the only resort on the 7 mile beach that stays true to it's Jamaican roots. All the vegetables served in the restaurant are grown in their garden. This resort is one of the original resorts of the 7 mile beach, so they know exactly where to get the best quality food, who to trust for taxi services, snorkeling, boat rides, and transportation to the waterfalls. If you go anywhere else, you may pay less, but I guarantee you will take a chance being given an incorrect amount of change for your US dollar and recommendations for taxi services can be dangerous. That happened to me several times whenever I explored other restaurants and resorts. I even went by an "American" resort and was shocked that their showers were made of white, broken concrete. The rooms were tiny. The Whistling Bird is truly unique in design and decor. The bugs you speak of are minor. This is a tropical island. You are lucky you didn't travel elsewhere with tarantulas, snakes, and scorpions. Sugar ants, small lizards and bug mites (on the beach at dawn/dusk) are the only little creatures you will come across. I suggest wearing pants in the early mornings and washing your feet at night after walking on the beach.

The bathrooms are gorgeous at the Whistling Bird and have wooden shutters. Some back home would not be comfortable with that, but at this resort, it is completely isolated and protected by trees. There would be no one to look through them and that behavior wouldn't be tolerated anyway. The staff are respectable people who feel honored to work for the Bird. I thought it made for a very romantic and exotic atmosphere.

The sheets that are left out to dry is simply for efficiency. They do use dryers, however, the electricity in Jamaica performs at such a low frequency, it takes a very long time to get things dry. Same goes with the water pressure. It is a little less powerful than what you find in the states, but I never noticed it to be a problem. I've had more issues with Motel 8's than I did at the Bird. If you would like A/C, ask for it. They have units with A/C. As for the food, you can almost order anything you like because they shop specifically for what you need. That said, a lot of items are pretty impossible to find in the city, due to the low electricity frequency and therefore refrigeration issues. Cheese, beef and chocolate are a few examples; lobster is sold according to whether a fisherman has caught any that day. Like I said, its not the U.S. where you can go buy anything you want. You will find more variety in the fall and winter seasons at the peak of tourist season. I was always impressed with the red snapper, which is decadent! They always have snapper, fresh exotic fruits, gourmet coffee and homegrown vegetables.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business