“" A RARE GEM"”

Ranked #1 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Ottawa
“" A RARE GEM"”
Reviewed 7 February 2013

1992 was the last time I had travelled. So when my boyfriend had said we were going to go away for holidays, I was reluctant! 4 hours on an airplane was not my idea of fun. With much resistance, I said yes! The Spa Retreat in Negril Jamaica was worth every bit of sleep I had lost (Totally afraid to fly) the two nights before leaving. When arriving, we were greeted warmly by the owners (canadian). The landscape is beautiful, and the grounds were impeccably clean. Rosa, (The silent partner ) also gave us a warm greeting. We were given a tour of the resort, and much to my surprise it was much more beautiful in person. My idea of a vacation is "Relaxing". This resort is able to tend to your needs on a personal level, as they are not over whelmed by the hundreds of vacationers that go to the bigger resorts. If I could have fit the bed that was in our room in my suitcase, I would have! If I, could have taken the cooks home with me, I would have done that as well. The food was "Fantastic! My fav, was the Tomato and goat cheese bruschetta. WOW! Fried chicken, Tomato and Mozzarella, Creme Brule, we tried almost everything on the menu. No complaints. Couldn't have asked for better service, Thx ladies. You all "Rock" Breakfast by the ocean every morning was one of my favorite things to do! They will offer you a cell phone to use while you are staying there, but if your smart, you will not! Not hearing a phone ring was another one of my fav's. lol. I will be back next year, but I will stay for 2 weeks. Thx to all of you at "The Spa Retreat Negril, Jamaica" your smiles and warmth are truly what made my vacation one I will never forget! ;o)

Room Tip: Choose the ones looking out to the ocean.
2 Thank TT C
jamiekeeley, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Thank you for your review, we are quite honoured to have been chosen as your first destination since travelling in 1992! We do hope that the experience was everything you had imagined it to be and will look forward to your speedy return to our piece of cliff side paradise! One love.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Arabic first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Just spent three nights at The Spa Retreat.
The pros: service was impeccable. Everyone was very friendly. Food was very good ( for Jamaica). Honesty was across the board.
The cons: too quiet, there was only two, perhaps three other rooms occupied. The place seemed deserted. They should install additional steps from the pathways to the pool area. The step down/up must be at least 15 inches, too far of a jump down or hoist up. What would someone with disabilities do? Many places to trip due to ledges all over the place. Even our shower had a ledge going down, which could be dangerous. The rooms have nowhere to store clothing or suitcases. No drawers, closet, or even a luggage rack. I was forced to live out of my suitcase. Very barren, with absolutely no color. The finishes in the room were poor, or nonexistance. MUCH room for improvement. Staff was outstanding. I did worry about the dog having free reign over the entire property. She was in the dining area and anytime you go in the pool she jumps in behind you. Not a safe or sanitary at all.
Their prices are way too high for the accommodations which I felt were subpar. Frankly, i could not tell I was in the tropics. No color anywhere. I was disappointed after reading all the rave reviews. Don't know why it has been rated so high.

Room Tip: Rooms were all mediocre at best.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Khofstetter
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to learn that you experienced a superior level of service during your stay at The SPA Retreat and enjoyed the fusion of Jamaican and international cuisine from our Blue Mahoe Restaurant.

We appreciate your constructive feedback. As a new business on the island of Jamaica we are always seeking ways in which we can continually improve to better our guest's experiences.

Although our private handcrafted stone cottages do offer shelf space as well as a hanging closet, based on your recommendation, we have take immediate action to improve the room amenities and provide a luggage rack. In addition, the loveable Rosa has been migrated away from the restaurant and pool areas, keeping her swimming with guests strictly to the ocean!

Our location on the stunning cliffs of Negril is a boutique hotel that accommodates 47 clients at maximum occupancy, thus, many times couples will feel as though they have the entire place to themselves. We envision self reflection, peace and privacy for guests ofThe SPA Retreat and aimed to create this sort of intimate experience from the moment the property was designed. Of course, we can understand disappointment you may have felt had you been seeking a large, activity-packed all-inclusive property. However, for those guests searching for a calm and tranquil destination we can guarantee you will not want to leave from the moment you arrive!

We truly do appreciate your review and hope to have you return as our guest again one day! One love.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I can’t say enough about this place. The rooms, restaurant and spa are now finished and fully operational. I am amazed at the attention to detail and the amount of care that went into building this brand new boutique hotel. The owner Shane was kind enough to give me a tour of the entire property providing me with insight into the though and building process behind this gem. The stone and wood work are exceptional and staying at the SPA Retreat makes you feel that you are experiencing something special.

Our room was very well done. We had a king size bed with some nice wood furniture. The balcony was great. Very large and provided a great view of the ocean and of course the sun set.

During our stay we ate at the Blue Mahoe quite a bit. I tried to taste everything that was on the menu. The selection is great and provides an excellent variety of dishes that accommodate all tastes. They have delicious pasta dishes, seafood, traditional Jamaican dishes and some house specials. My wife and I couldn’t get enough of the coconut shrimp, and I thoroughly enjoyed the stuffed chicken breast, the scotch bonnet chicken and jerk chicken pasta. The lunch wraps were very tasty and very satisfying. The breakfasts were also great. The kitchen staff were excellent and the meals were consistently delicious and very tasty.

During our stay we also took advantage of some of the services offered at the spa. We tried our hand at yoga one morning with Grace. She tailored the class to our level of knowledge (which for me is not high) but it was both challenging and enjoyable. Doing it in an open air spa looking out over the ocean made the experience that much more memorable.

My wife and I also had some reflexology done during our visit. We actually each had it 3 times while we were there…it was that great! If you have a chance, I would highly recommend this treatment. If you can, ask for Peter, he’s known as the foot doctor. The first time I had the reflexology, he immediately knew my neck was sore after taking my right foot. He spent a good amount of time on my big toe (as this part of the foot connected to the neck) and I have to say that the following day, my neck wasn’t sore anymore. I became an instant believer. If you do get Peter, ask him about the Moringa tree (and I recommend you try the moringa shake at the bar) and ask him about his bio-diesel project. Very interesting and engaging person.

We also took a boat tour up to Rick's café from the SPA Retreat. Heather (the office manager) arranged for a glass bottom boat to pick us up. We took a leisurely stroll up the coast taking in the other properties along the way. There is definitely a difference in quality between the SPA Retreat and some of the other places along the way. Rick’s was alright, but quite hectic. It’s always good to see the divers jump. Vincent, out boat captain, was hilarious. We had some good laughs going and coming back. We stopped along the way into some of the caves along the cliffs and went for a swim.

All in all it was very pleasant experience staying, eating and relaxing at the SPA Retreat. If you don’t want to, you do not need to leave the property, you can just relax and be taken care of. If you want a bit of adventure, it’s close enough to walk to 7 mile or head in the other to the lighthouse. The staff were very accommodating, always available, very friendly and made our stay that much more enjoyable. If you are looking for a place to go, I’d recommend the SPA Retreat in less than a heart beat.

2 Thank Shane W
Thank you for your review of The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! We are especially thrilled to learn that you embraced our total wellness experience by sampling yoga with Grace and reflexology with Peter! We must agree the vibes will instantly put you in a place of relaxation and serenity. Until next time, one love.
jamaica
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Was tired and wired...and went to The Spa for a relaxing massage....the spa area is open, yet private. It is situated directly infront of the azure waters of our renown Caribbean sea, thus the crisp ocean air enhances the treatment and helps in the relaxation process. The spa area is surrounded by pools of water...which i guess is to endorse the fluidity of your state of mind when receiving the treatment....the soothing sounds of the fountains and mood music used are truly relaxing. The massuese herself is courteous, gentle, professional and well-suited to the job. I'd take another massage today! I don't believe you need to be a guest to book a treatment, so contact the hotel to make your appointment beforehand. The massage is all inclusive....includes a face and scalp massage which you can choose to have or not.

An outside shower is provided, should incase you wish to wash off the oil before making the trip to your room/ hotel or home.

As you need to drinks lots of water to flush out the toxins after the massage, you can stop by the pool bar just to cleanse your system. Bottled water may be bought or if you prefer, you may have our tap water which is potable.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Oona E
Thank you for visiting The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel for a relaxation massage in our open air spa pavilion. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed the service and ambiance! We look forward to providing you with a relaxing experience again one day. One love.
Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 26 January 2013

We enjoyed an amazing day of relaxation at The Spa! It started with a yoga class over looking the cliffs of Negril... Nothing like the sound of rolling waves and warm sea breeze to get you 'in the present'. We then had a delicious bite to eat- the jerk chicken wraps are a must! After lunch and a cold red stripe it was time for the SPA... You must try reflexology! It was my first time and I wish I could have that kind of service back in Ottawa. Especially since this one was given cliffside over looking the clear blue water in an anti-gravity lounge chair:)
can't wait to go back and if you go say hi to Rosa!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank KrisQuebec_Canada
Tanya F, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Thank you for visiting The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel & Blue Mahoe Restaurant during your time in Negril! We are so pleased you enjoyed your day of pampering with us. Although the view cannot compare, we invite you to try Reflexology at one of our SPA Ottawa locations should you wish to re-kindle your trip upon your return home! One love.
Shreveport, Louisiana
Reviewed 25 January 2013

All the positive reviews are well deserved. The spa retreat is a serene, comfortable and friendly place. Jackson, Camiel, Marcia, Kemp, Shane and Christina thank you for your kindness. Getting to know each of you a little in such a lovely place was the highlight of our trip. We loved the resorts white stone work, the delicious food and of course Rosa (the dog).

Room Tip: We chose a room with a kingsized bed. I think the stone cottages with a front row view of the ocean...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! We must admit it is equally as exciting to get to know each and every one of our guests while they spend time in our home away from home! We look forward to welcoming you again one day, one love.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 January 2013

So me and my wife like to travel frequently and always enjoy the selection process....especially for the once a year (maybe twice) 3-4 night getaway without our 3 kids. The parent's trips are almost always booked kind of last minute so finding flights and hotels are always kind of tricky. We knew it had to be hot so Miami and Atlantis weren't going to fit the bill, since they are almost always only highs in the 70s in Dec/Jan. Aruba or Riviera Maya would work, but we'd been there recently and were getting kind of old. Found a flight (I could get on miles) from Newark to Montego Bay. Had been there a couple years prior and it was just OK. Stayed at the Ritz on MoBay and it was great, the golf was immaculate at White Witch, however the water was only so so. Figured maybe there were some other places in Jamaica with better water? A quick search on Tripadvisor and found the #1 hotel in Jamaica was "The Spa Retreat" in a place called Negril on the "cliffs" ...and it was only 1hr outside Montego Bay. Apparently great water, beautiful scenery, great service, reasonable rates, etc. ...seemed too good to be true.

I have read a LOT of Tripadvisor reviews and this was hands down the most uniformly positive hotel reviews I have seen. GLOWING reviews, GUSHING reviews. A LOT of them from Canadians ….apparently fans of their own brood ;-) I assumed either this must be an incredible place, or there is some sort of sham going on.

Well, I’m glad to report , it is no sham. It is almost perfect.

I’ve been in more luxurious hotel rooms, in places with faster service, even in places with better pools or more manicured grounds….but none of them compare to the Spa Retreat. The TOTAL experience provided by the staff and how they make you feel at home is unparalleled. Christine and Shane have picked an exquisite piece of real estate, and more importantly -- an amazing staff - that results in the reviews you see here.

The room was perfect for what it needed to be. Clean, with ample space and privacy for 2. The water takes longer to get warm than it does back home in NJ….but who cares …its 85F outside in Negril and 16F outside right now in Jersey.

Included in the room fee they provide you with a cell phone that can be used for local calls or for calls to/from the US. How cool is that? Actually such a genius move for International travelers I don’t know why more hotels don’t do it. Alternative would have been worse coverage and $1.99 minute if I had setup roaming with VZW as I had planned. This was perfect to call the driver whenever you needed to be picked up or dropped off. I figured we would call the US more on it, but actually only ended up doing that once. Fee Wifi with decent speed and signal in the room, so we did Skype with kids every night instead before dinner.

Food was the best of any we had anywhere else in Negril. Authentic Jerk Chicken from the drum-oven-bbq-thing, not just grilled chicken with canned jerk sauce like you’ll get at Rick’s. When its the dinner rush, service can be slow – but everything is cooked to order and the staff is just so pleasant – so its hard to be too picky.

The hotel pool and main terrace area is situated on rocks approx 5-6 ft above the sea. It is crystal clear and if the waves aren’t too rough there is a ladder you can climb down to swim or snorkel with the free equipment they provide.

I would also recommend a visit to seven mile beach while in Negril. Just a $10/5 minute drive from the hotel. It is comparable to Palm Beach in Aruba – super calm and super clear. We enjoyed lunch at Margaritaville where the food is nothing exciting however the view, beach, scene and complimentary loungers give you more of the party Jamaican vibe in a semi-protected space. A lot of the other areas of the beach can be kind of shady, with constant peddlers. The hotel had recommended going to another place further down 7 mile beach called Boardwalk, but that was a little too small and dead for us.

Since you are in Negril cliff area you need to stop by Rick’s. Get a table on the second floor verandah overlooking the cliff divers as well as the sunset. Don’t expect a lot from the food, however good times.

Every time we left The Spa Retreat and came back we genuinely felt like we were coming home.

New Years was also a blast. Started off slow as the crowd at a place called Spa Retreat tends to be quite relaxed, however by midnight the DJ had us all dancing our tails off to Gangnam Style. Every couple got a Sky Lantern to light at New Years Eve, pretty cool.

Shout out to Jonnel – hold onto her, she’s good. Rocky is a riot, always smiling while running around after something or the other. Talk to him BTW, and he’ll hook you up with some quick hot water. Dwayne also always running around and mixes some crazy Blue Mahoes. Good times, can’t wait to go back.

Wow, I’ve been typing for a while.

2 Thank Domain123
Thank you for your review of "Negril's Newest Gem"! We are so pleased that you feel we offered the total experience and must agree the personal cell phone is an excellent bonus. We look forward to your return one day! One love.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Cliff Hotel
Couples Negril
Couples Negril
#8 of 85 in Negril
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,250 reviews

Been to The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!