We've been coming to the West End of Negril for more than 13 years and have always stayed at a very nice place (a more expensive place that was always, until recently, ranked above this hotel) so our expectations were high. When I first saw The Spa Retreat leap into 1st place in the ranking of hotels in Negril, I was surprised and even a little skeptical. How could this new place be receiving so many almost unanimously positive reviews in so little time? Were they paying people to write these reviews? Was there something fishy going on? Well after our first visit there during the last week in January (2014), I can tell you exactly why there are so many wonderful reviews. There are two reasons.
1). The resort and the owners and staff are as good as you have read they are. The grounds and buildings reflect the perfectionist craftsmen who built it. It was obviously NOT built by a corporate resort company concerned with maximizing its investment dollar. It was built by a family who wanted to create something of beauty and engaged the best people they could find to do it.
That "resort as work of art" factor (plus the wonderful food) is sufficient to explain why people like this place enough to give it a positive review when asked but it takes much more to get the average visitor to write a review. It doesn't take much to get someone to write a negative review when they have a bad experience as they want to vent and exact revenge but when people are pleased and get what they expected, they usually just enjoy their memories and that is that. So what motivates all of these positive reviews?
2) The guests immediately care for this resort and its owners and employees because they see how much the owners and employees care for this place, each other and their guests. You can be thrilled with your last stay at a Disney resort but probably aren't concerned about Disney's future. When you stay here and meet the employees and owner(s), you immediately become hopeful that this enormous investment will be successful and that is why so many people are taking the time to write reviews. The owners are taking a huge risk with this place and their efforts and the extent of their investment shows. But they could have spent ten times as much and it wouldn't be the same if they were not treating their guests like family, very fortunate family.
We cannot wait to return to The Spa Retreat Negril! Our only regret was that the water was never calm enough (until the morning of our departure naturally) for me to get to swim and have Rosa either swim to me or watch over me. Rosa, the resort dog, is clearly as invested in the safety and happiness of the guests as the owners and staff are. Dogs always manage to reflect the attributes of their owners. Don't take this "regret" as a complaint however, the water and weather, for which we do not hold any resort responsible, was absolutely spectacular.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A true luxury escape located on the West End Cliffs of Negril, Jamaica and located on nearly 2 acres of oceanfront; this unique property extends from white sandy beach into exotic grey cliffs overlooking the vibrant turquoise hues of the Caribbean Sea. 18 Handcrafted stone cottages with spectacular tropical gardens and cliff side dining at the Blue Mahoe Restaurant will enhance your SPA escape. The SPA Retreat features an open-air day spa offering classic aesthetic treatments with a Jamaican flair. The adults only, SPA Retreat features a sea water pool, sandy beach deck, A/C, free Wi-Fi, in-room safe, yoga and specialty tours to enhance your experience. The devotion to quality and service familiar to The SPA’s Canadian locations continues to surpass guest expectations from the moment your flight touches down. We look forward to having you as our guest! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Spa Retreat Hotel Negril
- Heart Beat Seaside Retreat Negril