“Perfect Escape”

The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Spa Retreat for a birthday escape for four nights. The facility is in immaculate condition and the staff was amazing. Everyone was exceptionally hospitable from the grounds crew to the front desk and bar/restaurant staff. The views are incredible and the location is key for dining and a quick cab ride to the beach. The snorkeling right off the cliffs was decent however a boat ride to the reef was incredible which the front desk arranged for us. The cell phone and welcome massages are a nice touch and great way to start your stay. I would highly recommend a massage while you are there. Also Rosa the resident dog was great to have around. The only two negatives were the private drivers they arrange are very nice however much more expensive than cabs you can grab right on the street. You can negotiate with them but they will be more expensive every time. My other complaint, which is out of control of the property, is the bar across the street was very loud every night until about 2:30am which was perfectly audible from our room. Otherwise I highly recommend a rooftop room.

Room Tip: We stayed in Roof Top 5 which was the best situated as it was away from the restaurant and next to t...
1  Thank Emily A
jamiekeeley, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for your review and kind words. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your time on our cliff side property, relaxing to the tune of personalized service provided by the many members of our SPA Family. With regards to transportation, we offer a safe, reliable means of private transportation to our guests. Our private drivers are fully licensed with a "red plate" and are required to have auto insurance. Often times, transportation providers that are less expensive are not licensed drivers and operate as a shuttle service, compiling many people in one car. We cannot guarantee the safety or reliability of these transportation providers. Unfortunately, our Front Desk was not aware of any documented noise disturbances reported during your stay. In light of your very valuable feedback I am pleased to report that we have since contacted our local authorities and this issue has been rectified. Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention as it allows for us to take action to improve our guest experience. We very much look forward to your return to "Negril's Newest Gem"! One love.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Spa retreat for 3 nights over Memorial Day Weekend. There are only 18 total units, which made it perfect for us. Peaceful, quiet, and romantic. Yet although it was small, they had most amenities of a larger resort. We had a great massage by the sea, and a yoga class at our requested time also out by the sea.
One drawback of the smaller retreat was that there was no workout room and really no place to run or workout. But since it was a short stay, we were fine without a workout, other than yoga. The barstaff/waitstaff, and all the staff were amazing. Very friendly and fun. We enjoyed making new friends with them. Resort is set on a small cliff, so there is no beach, but they have a small man-made beach area with some sand and some stone, with beach chairs, that was perfect for hanging out, reading, and being right on top of the sea. My wife loves to read, me not so much, but with this setting, I quickly became a reader and really loved sitting out reading, having the barstaff bring us cocktails. The pool is small, but was perfect for us to soak in, while enjoying a cocktail, and within a few feet of the sea which made for a great view. The restaurant was fabulous, we ate all our meals there for the weekend and never had to leave. We loved this retreat, and are looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: Request a Seaside room if possible.
1  Thank BrockBuk

Thank you for your review! We are thrilled to learn that you enjoyed sampling the many services and unique features of staying as a guest of The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! We agree, the cliff side massages and yoga classes are wonderfully relaxing experiences. Our intimate property certainly allows for guests to truly unwind and rejuvenate. Until next time, one love!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I was a bit sceptical about Jamaica after all you hear. However if you listened to everything you wouldn't leave the house. I loved this place. Yes it's pricey....but worth it. I didn't leave the property....and when you stay there you'll see why. The best part was the staff. Richmond, Duwayne, Delroy, Tyrone O'Mar, Gregory and the list goes on. Well done! It really was a home away from home. After a longish holiday, it was great to finish it off here relaxing.

The food was great! I'm now addicted to Jerk Chicken. In hindsight, I probably wouldn't have done the all inclusive part as I don't think (some would debate) that I ate or drank that much......gave it a good go though!

Would definitely stay here again. I was in Garden 3 and for the 10m walk to the same place the seaside villas are......it wasn't worth (in my opinion) the extra $, although I'm sure they were nice.

I didn't use the spa, however the welcome neck massage was lovely, albeit a little unexpected at first as you're checking in :/

Well done guys. Staff are your number one asset and should get a pay rise! :)

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Aussieflyers

Thank you for your review and kind words about our SPA Family! We are so proud of the dedicated team of service providers that represent The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel. We are humbled that you too identify with the incredibly genuine, hospitable service offered to our guests daily! As we recognize the All Inclusive Meal Plan is not for everyone, our team will do their best to personalize each individual guest's stay with supplementary half board, full board and a la carte plans based on your desire for consumption! We are already counting down until your next visit, soon come!

Reviewed 24 May 2014

The resort itself was beautiful...small and intimate and well maintained. We stayed in Seaside cottage #5 which was half way between one end of the resort and the other. We were very happy in our room selection as it was right in the middle of the resort. The cottage itself was great. Large enough for 2 and a good sized bathroom. We also had a nice deck with seating to view the ocean morning and night...Absolutely everyone at the resort was amazing....they make a real effort to make a connections to every guest. Food was always amazing....props go out to Sheldon who came to our table to introduce himself. Bar staff - Dwayne, Tyrone, Richmond - couldn't say anything better. These guys knew you and what you wanted....Our experience was amazing and incredible and we hope to get back soon.Will recommend to all we know...

Room Tip: We loved our room - Seaside Cottage #5 - right in the middle of the resort. cottages are closed to p...
3  Thank Starfish2731

Thank you so much for your glowing review! We are truly fulfilled to learn that our retreat environment and friendly service met your expectations for a restful holiday. It is our utmost concern for guests to feel welcomed from the moment they arrive to our "home away from home". Our team will await your return through our gates of paradise. One love.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Wonderful experience. The epitome of relaxing. Excellent food, though slightly expensive. We went without the all-inclusive option as that tacked on $180 per person/per day, and we'd never spend that much on food and drinks alone. Dinner, with a couple of drinks each, cost about $70 total, so be prepared to spend a decent amount if you eat there, and don't do all-inclusive. That option, still, is much more than I think most people will spend. Breakfast was so-so and cost about $35. We much preferred a local restaurant across the street for breakfast, and the food was delicious and about half the price. Drinks are great, bar is awesome. Pool is great, views are unparalleled. They give you a cell phone, and obtaining drivers to go to the beach, or other Cliffside hotels is always available. It should only cost about $15 roundtrip to travel anywhere up the cliffs for dinner elsewhere. Rooms are immaculate, comfortable, AC is perfect, and rooms are well-designed. It's really beautiful, and we will be returning.

Room Tip: LOVED our room on the far end, in a rooftop cottage. We were away from the restaurant and bar, and h...
4  Thank Tara L

Thank you for your review and very valuable feedback. We view all comments as an opportunity to improve our service for an unparalleled guest experience in the future. We do agree, the All Inclusive Plan is meant for those who are interested in sampling an unlimited amount of fresh food and beverage selections from our Blue Mahoe Restaurant & Bar Menu. We also offer Half Board, Full Board and A La Carte options as a alternate for guests to personalize their stay based on the amount they believe they will consume. Your comments about breakfast have been addressed with our Chefs to ensure only the freshest and finest ingredients make their way to the presentations of fine Jamaican cuisine you receive morning, noon and night! We look forward to welcoming you back for another peaceful stay on the cliffs of Negril soon. One love!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Beautiful Grounds. Great vantage points. Awesome sea water pool. A very spirited staff
( Duwayne, Nick, Tyrone, Tonnis, etc ) that make for a real, heartfelt experience.
Also...very tasty, healthy food and good snorkelling.

Two small disadvantages are that their is no coffee in the room and the price of massage is a bit steep.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Canuckjoe

Thank you for your review! We are thrilled to learn that you felt the positive energy and lighthearted vibes during your stay with us on the West End Cliffs. We aim to offer each and every one of our guests a genuine experience during their time on the island of Jamaica. Until next time, soon come!

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Just returned on Monday from the Spa Retreat...stayed four days. They arranged airport transfer which is a separate cost of hotel. Friendly drivers...took me to get jerk chicken because I was hungry when I got of plane. As soon as I arrived the staff was very welcoming...I was handed a drink and given a mini massage. They provide guests with cell phones free of charge to call home and local calls...free wifi. The hotel is right on the water...beautiful views...cabanas...pool...bar...restaurant. My room was fine...not enough light for my taste. Garden view. Really relaxing environment. I took yoga classes in the morning with ocean view. Nicole the yoga instructor was great. Had a seaside massage...amazing. Really good breakfast. Its a little distance from seven mile beach...so if you want to be on the beach this may not be the place for you. I like to walk so I walked into town...if you're nervous individual walking on the rode may not be for you...but I will say drivers are very cognizant of people on the rode. I attended a wedding at another resort and they arranged car service. I definitely go back again. My only complaint are the ants...had ants in my room but I attribute that to the garden. Shout out to staff Tanya, Billy, Kerryann!

Room Tip: would suggest booking a room with ocean view...I would if I had to do it again
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Cishawn R

Thank you for your review. We are happy to note your satisfaction with the serene and restful SPA Retreat experience! We are thrilled that you felt well taken care of by our SPA Family! For those wanting to explore Negril during their stay our Front Desk can easily arrange for a water taxi to take guests from our cliff side retreat up the West End and down to the 7 mile beach! I appreciate you bringing the concern for ants on your patio to our attention, we have since gone through the process of neutralizing this issue. We look forward to your return one day soon, one love!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Cliff Hotel
Catcha Falling Star
Catcha Falling Star
#5 of 80 in Negril
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!