“Successful Relaxation!”

Ranked #1 of 85 Hotels in Negril
New York City, New York
“Successful Relaxation!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

After spending a week in a sub-par hotel the week before in St. Lucia, I was nervous to bring my family to the second leg of our trip - Negril, Jamaica. Expectations were high and the pressure was on me after having messed up the first part of our trip. However, I was confident that even my super picky family would find this piece of heaven on earth to be suitable for their expectations. Sure enough, I was right (phew!)! My family stayed here for an entire week and we loved every second of it. The staff is top-notch. Super accommodating, attentive, friendly, and social. They go out of their way to ask you about your day they're all super easy to carry a conversation with. You are in paradise here! It was a bit difficult to leave the resort at first because of how comfortable we were just being there and relaxing. The food and the drinks at the restaurant/bar were exceptionally delicious! Definitely recommend eating there.

Cons - a bit pricey for lunch and dinner, wifi is a bit spotty, and the resort is not on the beach (however, it is a short cab ride away! the resort is at the cliffs and DOES have direct access to the ocean for snorkeling. Also, the resort has made a fake beach so you practically have everything there!)

Pros - amazing customer service, very relaxing setting, friendly and social staff, breathtaking scenery, recently built, free snorkeling, amazing spa treatments, saltwater pool, and very intimate resort since it is quite small compared to other resorts in the area.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Adam C
jamiekeeley, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for your review. We are thrilled to learn that your stay delivered the experience you and your family were seeking! Our aim is to satisfy even the most discerning guest with authentic and warm hospitality amidst a unique cliff side setting. A specialized technician has recently solved the spotty WIFI issues as we can understand how imperative connectivity is to our guests! Next time you we suggest taking our water taxi service to the 7 mile beach, which offers convenient cliff side pickup! We look forward to your return, one love!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Arabic first
Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed 28 July 2014

You can't go wrong staying at the Spa Retreat. Incredibly friendly staff, spectacular property, excellent food & the wife loved the spa treatments. We've been to Negril on 5 different occasions and have happily determined that we'll be staying here from now on. Seriously, it's that nice!

Room Tip: Loved the rooftop stone cottage room- number 5 is furthest from the restaurant & thus, the quiet...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank IN_Greg
jamiekeeley, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for your glowing review and kind words. We are honored that you have determined The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel as your choice of destination for all future visits to Jamaica! The SPA Family looks forward to your arrival at our "home away from home" very soon! One love!
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I had a trouble due to a mistaken reservation through a third party and panicked after seeing the hotel's cancellation policy. But the hotel was very understanding and kind enough to cancel. Thank you!

2 Thank ceberus
Thank you for your review. We understand that in life things may arise that are unexpected. It is our wish to fulfill the needs of all of our guests and ultimately, join us at our cliff side paradise when the timing is right. We look forward to welcoming you "home" one day! One love.
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Our stay in July at the Spa Retreat was a reconnaissance trip of sorts. My fiance and I are getting married in a few short months at the Spa and wanted to not only visit and tour the property, but actually meet the people that will be coordinating every detail of our wedding.

The Spa Retreat is a gorgeous property with meticulous attention to detail. We were greeted at the front desk by Tanyah and Billy. They immediately made us feel at home. After our welcome, and tour of the beautiful property, we checked out our seaside cottage. On the way to seaside cottage #4, we were pleasantly surprised by the beautiful lush gardens that line the inside walkways of the property. The seaside cottage is a great size for two people. The room had wonderful wood ceilings and granite counter tops in the bathroom. Each cottage has a little porch with two adirondack chairs. It was a nice place to begin our mornings taking in the ocean view. The room is polished and was a great place to stay for us. We know our wedding guests will be pleased with the accommodations.

The stone work that encloses and serves as a foundation for most of the property is beautiful. The clean, elegant lines that flow up and down the sea wall make the Spa one of the most unique boutique hotels in Negril. The prized sunsets are viewable from about any angle of the property. It doesn't matter if you are getting a massage in the pavilion, grabbing a drink at the bar, swimming in the saltwater pool or partaking some of Blue Mahoe's tasty Jamaican fare - you are guaranteed to enjoy breathtaking sunsets on the Carribean sea. Our favorite spot to take in the sunsets was poolside.

The property has a beautiful cliffside platform on which many weddings are performed. The backdrop of an ocean sunset is stunning and one that sure to be stunning at any wedding at sunset. The staff at the Spa is fantastic. After staying there a couple of days you get to know the staff well. They are all delightful people and you can tell that they enjoy what they do. Teshawn, Tyrone, and Duwayne, Gregory, Guwahne and Cassandra made having dinner and drinks at the bar and restaurant enjoyable!

The food at the Blue Mahoe is very good. Some of the best I've had in Jamaica. The jerk chicken is a must try as well as the great mai tai's from the bar. Service is pretty good and our water glasses were always full. The bar is great place to hang out, grab a cool drink and relax.

Transportation was seamless. We had a enjoyable ride from the airport. Our driver Chris was waiting for us at the airport when we arrived. The drive from Montego Bay was comfortable as well as the cabs from the hotel. Howie and Audley are great and will take you where you need to go as well as offer helpful suggestions for activities and day excursions in Negril.

We had the opportunity to meet Shane, one of the owners, and learn more about the Spa Retreat. Coming from design backgrounds, we both appreciated his passion for the Spa's property and every other detail that makes the Spa a relaxing place for guests from all over the world to visit.

We couldn't wait to meet our wedding coordinator, Heather. She was an amazingly wonderful host from start to finish. Not only did she help us coordinate meetings with our minister, florist, and chef - but she also helped us envision what our wedding will look like at the Spa. That was helpful in planning a destination wedding. Where else can you get customer service like that? After spending four days on property we are excited to come back in the fall to celebrate our wedding with family and friends.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Clarice J
Thank you for your wonderful review! It was a pleasure to have you both as our guests in preparation for your big day in December! We are very much looking forward to hosting a dream weekend in paradise for you and your loved ones as we celebrate the union of two very special people. Our entire team is counting down the days for your return, one love!
Tappahannock, Virginia
Reviewed 17 July 2014

If you are looking for loud music, drunk people, and horrible food you are going to the wrong place. For my wifes retirement and our anniversary we found this place to be the BEST place we have ever been. From the time you walk into check-in and the time you leave, you will be treated like a King and Queen. It was very quiet, peaceful, and most importantly, relaxing. All personnel there would go the extra mile for you. The drinks were great, but the food was to die for. They would prepare anything you wanted to your tasting. We stayed for 5-days in Negril and 5-days in Montego Bay. Being in our mid-50's this place was perfect for us. The owners are very nice and become your friends before you leave. We will return here as soon we can. We were upgraded to the Bridal Suite which was beautiful. All rooms are great. Our stay was from June 15-20, 2014. Hats off to the entire staff. Can't wait for our return. Thank you again for making our retirement and anniversary such a wonderful experience. Make sure you cliff dive with Rosie the dog. You can't go wrong staying here if you are looking for relaxation. Make sure you get a massage, it was wonderful. Hope this helps with your decision when visiting Negril.

Room Tip: Bridal Suite is beautiful, we were upgraded at no cost. Seaside cottages was our first choice until...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 385michaelg385
Thank you for your review! We are incredibly humbled by your kind words! On behalf of the entire family, we wish you both many years of bliss as you venture into retirement and look forward to welcoming you "home" again soon! One love!
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Wow! I slept so well! The yoga and massage... just what I needed. Thank goodness for the cell phone, I was able to stay in touch with my family while away from the hotel. Super professional, friendly staff. Only one disappointment was that the wifi didn't work, which was a big inconvenience for me.

2 Thank Ingrid F
Thank you for your review! We are happy to learn that you enjoyed rest and relaxation while staying as our guest. Our deepest apologies for the inconvenience due to irregular WIFI signals during your stay! We understand how very important it is to stay connected and have recently had a specialized technician on property to resolve our connectivity issues. Until next time, soon come!
Manhattan, New York, United States
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I arrived at the Montego Bay airport and quickly found Mark, the driver The SPA Retreat sent for me. Two complimentary Red Stripes later, we arrived at The SPA. The property is right alongside the road, behind a nice gate. Taunya checked me while a wonderful woman (I’m sorry, I didn’t catch your name) delivered a welcome drink and gave me a great mini shoulder and neck massage. Tauyna gave me a quick tour of the property, introduced me to all of the amazing staff (and they all remembered my name!) and showed me to my room, Rooftop 4.

My room was great. Everything was top notch: the bed was so comfortable, the linens and pillows were very nice, lots of lighting, no big bulky furniture, the bathroom was big and very clean, the french doors opened to a large covered patio with 2 chairs and a beautiful view of the ocean. Everything was new including the AC which worked very well. The mini fridge was stocked daily with the selections I made during check-in. The turn down service was nice. I could hear some local music at night and the occasional horn from cars passing by but not distracting at all.

The hotel property was exactly like what you see in the pictures. The pool was filled to the tip top with salt water which feels amazing. It had a nice ledge a couple feet beneath the water you could sit on and sip drinks delivered from the bar. Plenty of lounge chairs with nice oversized beach towels.

The bar was a great place to be. If you want a cocktail, Duwayne is your man. He can make whatever you want and makes it well! Top shelf alcohol and fresh fruits. Delicious. From the bar, you can order food from the restaurant which I did for every meal (except breakfast only because the bar wasn’t open yet!). Everything I tried was delicious and I am a picky eater. I travel with Luna bars because my past experiences traveling to some Caribbean resorts is that the food is terrible (explained below) and I starve. Not here! I ate even when I wasn’t hungry because everything was top notch! Definitely have the coconut shrimp and the jerk tacos. There is a popcorn popper on the bar with homemade jerk butter. It’s self-serve so be sure to get some. Breakfast in the restaurant was great too. Egg white omelets, fresh fruit. The coffee was a tad expensive but it is Blue Mountain and worth it in my opinion.

I did yoga with Rosa (Rose the yoga instructor, not Rosa the amazing resort pup). She was fantastic. Very knowledgeable and gave me a ton of tips on stretching.

The other Rosa, the beautiful dog who lives at the resort, was a lot of fun. She jumps in the pool and the ocean if any man leads the way (sorry ladies, she won’t follow you). She is fun to watch and gives the place a real homey feel. Shane, the owner, is a very gracious host. He speaks to everyone and wants to make sure you are having a great time.

I met a local guy, Larry, at the bar my first night there. If you go to the bar, you will meet him too. He is an unofficial tour guide but might as well be the mayor of Negril! He knows everyone and everything. For a very reasonable price, he took me on a tour of Negril and beyond: caves, waterfalls, artesian wells, local shops, and even a quick stop at Rick’s Café for a picture or two. I felt very safe with him. Everywhere we went, people called out his name. He is very well known so people didn’t give us a hard time. He was a safe driver (even though the roads are insane!) and had a comfortable car. If you are looking for something different to do, find Larry. You won’t be disappointed.

The big, all-inclusive resorts are a good way to see the Caribbean when you are new to traveling or just want something easy, but once the reality of crowded pools, terrible food, and watered down drinks set in, book a trip to The SPA Retreat.

Room Tip: I stayed in rooftop cottage 4 and had an ocean view. I think the upgrade for the view is worth it b...
7 Thank Kelly P
Thank you for your review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the many advantages of island lifestyle while staying as our guests. From the fresh organic food to well blended cocktails in combination with warm sunny days and friendly smiles from our team, we truly wish to offer a relaxed experience unlike any other! We look forward to your return, one love!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Cliff Hotel
Couples Negril
Couples Negril
#8 of 85 in Negril
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,255 reviews

Been to The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!