“My Home away from Home”

Ranked #17 of 49 Speciality Lodging in Negril
Port Dover Ontario
“My Home away from Home”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Looking forward to my return to Roots Bamboo Beach inj Negril for 5 weeks including all of February.As far as I'm concerned it is the only place to stay in all of Jamaica .I have stayed all over the island and tried all of the plans but Roots Bamboo has been my favorite since the 80's Staying there enables me to go where I want eat where I want >The family atmosphere that the staff and owners share with me is the greatest on earth. The guests all become part of the family and I have met many great new friends from all over the world. I look forward to seeing my February friends in 2013 . Can't wait to see my taxi driver Cowboy picking me up in Mo Bay and chatting with him all the way to Roots in Negril. Many old friends I can't wait to see again,and great food to eat with in my opinion the islands best chef at Roots and talk about jerk food ,they've got it all covered. When I want to go into the hills for a day or two I just let them know and they secure my room and valuables.The service is great and you can even get washing and ironing done by one of the maids at Roots.Motorcycle rental right across the road at Jah B's and I am a regular customer there as I go all over the island on a motorcycle. I have stayed at Roots too many times to count and believe me they have always taken the best of care of me.Looking forward to seeing all my Roots friends again. Cowboy Kooch

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank kooch1

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I went to Jamaica in Jan 2012 with my girlfriends and we came across Roots Bamboo. It is a great restaurant and club. Though we didn't stay there initially we checked out their accomodations and they are clean and inexpensive rooms. I went back solo in May and plan to return in August. The people are so friendly there. And the art work you can purchase is beautiful...i purchased a few pieces from the local artist at Roots Bamboo. A bonus is that Captain Ever Ready's Snorkeling boat -- the Wild Wild West is docked right at the club. We went snorkeling everyday! Thanks Negril for an awesome stay!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Crystal C
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Loved Loved the Roots bamboo. The walk to the entrance can be a little frightening like the red light district but once your in your welcomed by many locals as well as some tourist. Only place with good live music... The people are so fun..
Def recommend

Room Tip: Great place to party not to stay the night
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank crumbles1234
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I read the previous reviews. 5 times, 3 times? is that all. What I have found from my many trips to Roots Bamboo and Negril, it is not uncommon to run into someone who has been there more than 10 times. I have been to Jamaica 23 times since 1978, to Negril 20 times and I always found others that have been more than I. Roots Bamboo is a place where you can be left alone if you choose, socialize with others from around the world. I once hung out with Olaf from Denmark, who didn't speak English, but we had a ball. I first went to Roots Bamboo when the roofs of the cabins were corrugated tin and the sides were of bamboo.
Now, the cabins have electricity, some with covered porches, 24 hr security, friendly staff, clean grounds, great food (had my first taste of callaloo there now I grow it), and the best spot on the 7 mile beach. There are many choices in Negril for non-hotel stays, alternative hotel stays and all-inclusive stays. I have done them all, yet I keep coming back to Roots Bamboo. Ted, the owner, is a superb host, fantastic personality and a great individual to know. Its laid back, comfortable and addictive. The testament to the wonderful business Ted runs is the continuous return of visitors year after year. I shall return in 2011.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
10 Thank gedwardsjr
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 3 April 2010

My wife and I enjoy travel in many different ways. But our time in Jamaica is our most anticipated. We have been staying for a month but this year we tried 6 weeks. We use to travel the island but in 1988 I started staying at Roots Bamboo in Negril. Jerry,, Ted the owners son, is a pastry chef by trade and is no slouch when it comes to serving up Red Snapper or curried goat to name just two of his and his employees great dishes. We stay in cabins that run from $ 30.00 to $ 60.00,depending on amenities and location. You are on the famous 7 mile beach of Negril. These people that work at Roots are a big reason why you will enjoy a stay here. Cookie will see that you are comfortable or else. Oldie and Frame will make sure you feel safe and always there to chat you up if you should get up in the middle of the night. You can pitch a tent here as well for$12.00 a night . There are taxi drivers standing ready to pick you up or drop you off at the airport safely and on time.Raggamuffin and Cowboy are the drivers I have pick us up.Want ice? hey Cookie,want a drink? hey Brimsley, room cleaned? Daisy and Myah. want company? your neighbours will seem like old friends immediately. Only for lack of space do I not go on about Roots. Try it and you will be hooked like us and all the people we bring who now come back year after year. Barry

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank barrylee
Minnesota
Reviewed 24 March 2010

I have stayed at Roots Bamboo 4 times and have enjoyed every single time !! I always recomend Roots to people traveling to Negril.. It definately has no frills, the first time I stayed they didn't have a bar or pool table, but have always had great food, especially breakfast !!

• Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank madcow949
Windsor
Reviewed 9 October 2009

My wife and i have traveled to Roots Bamboo for 5 years in a row for some well needed time away. They have several basic cabins priced top end around 60us/night and we always enjoy our stay. If your looking for a step above camping which they have as well, and love to eat some fantastic food served up by Jerry and his crew this is the place to find a slow paced laidback vacation. We have now had the Grilled Red Snapper the night we arrive each time as it is absolutely some of the best in Negril. Sit back watch the sunset and chill in Negril..... Soon back...

Bill and Crystal