“The best in Jamaica”

Murphy's West End Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 205 Restaurants in Negril
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Small family run local jerk and seafood restaurant, Good Prices, Great Food..Proprietor Lenial Ennis is very pleasant host.
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Not only the best in Jamaica but maybe the best meal that I have ever had. Murphy's is located down in the West End past the lighthouse, about a 15 minute walk past Rick's Cafe.

I ordered the Jerk Shrimp, my husband ordered the Curry Shrimp. Wow! I was beyond impressed. The food was great and the staff was so friendly. Murphy was so much fun to watch as he cooked but he was also fun to talk to. The man loves what he does and it shows in his food.

We met up with my sister and brother in law (who was also visiting Negril) and took them to Murphy's the next day. My husband and sister both ordered the lobster. No joke, the lobsters were longer than my husband's arm from his elbow to the tip of his finger. The lobster melts in your mouth.

I can't sat enough good things about Murphy's. The food is the best, the service is great and Murphy will treat you like family. I can't wait to go back.

5  Thank Jennifer H

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Murphy and Tony run this little restaurant on the westend of Negril. The food was awesome and the presentation is what you would expect in fine dinning!

2  Thank Emiko4559
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We arrived at Murphy's about Noon on a Saturday. Murphy came out and said that the jerk chicken would still be about an hour to finish. We ordered a couple of Red Stripes and on a hot July day at high noon, they tasted like the coldest on the island. We sat under the thatched roof, cooling down and struck up a great conversation with the chef/owner as we were the only ones there. Murphy's is a ways out on the cliff road in Negril, past most of the hotels and restaurants. It was walking distance from Hide Awhile, our resort. It is an easy and inexpensive cab ride from downtown Negril. Murphy explained that lots of small family run restaurants had to close in the summer because it was low season and it was really difficult to make a go of it. He liked to stay open, he grew lots of his own vegetables, but he had to manage carefully what he could keep in stock. He even took us on a little tour of the garden showing us his okra plants. Because of the rocky soil on the cliffs, they were planted in little patches wherever the soil was deep enough. He had jerk chicken going that day and we wanted to wait for it. He said he would like to bring us a likkle plate to tide us over until the chicken was done. He brought it out from his personal food he was cooking for his family! He also said it was "no problem, no charge." It was curried chicken, rice and peas, boiled dumplings, yams and boiled bananas. AWESOME! We were so full eating from the "free" plates that we could hardly eat the jerk chicken when it was done!. The jerk was flavorful and not too spicy. After a couple more Red Stripes we felt like part of the family. My husband carried around Murphy's little baby boy for a joyful few minutes. I took pictures of the artwork painted on the restaurant also by Murphy. The original wooden building was built by Murphy's father more than 40 years ago. Murphy keeps it updated, painted and thatches the roof himself as well. My favorite painting was the spliff smoking chicken (painting still in progress). I would really like to return one day during the winter high season to experience the fullness of Murphy's menu. If you are a menu snob without flexibility, this is not the place for you. If you believe in eating local, supporting local families instead of the larger established venues this is your spot. If you enjoy meeting the owner and chef, have patience, and a mind and heart open to culture and new experiences try Murphy's.

2  Thank Zenaida P
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Murphy's is just a short walk past the lighthouse on the left hand side of the road as you walk towards the west from Rick's cafe.

For $13 usd, i got 12 large curried shrimp a side of my choice. Throw in a 20 ounce pepsi for $1 usd. My wife got the 12 jerk shrimp. We both loved our meal and I am hard pressed to remember ever eating better tasting shrimp before.

They have all types of chicken, fish and seafood. 1/4 jerk chicken runs $5 usd. Alcoholic drinks run reasonably priced at about half the cost of Rick's Cafe with no being hassled by the locals.

We will be coming back here another night during our stay!

2  Thank dcougarh1ok
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We went on a Sunday and the place wasn't really open yet even though it was well into the day already. Because of that, many of the things we thought we would order on the menu were not yet available. Murphy explained that they get a late start on Sundays, which made some sort of sense. However, he quickly got the kitchen open for business and served us a delicious, very fresh lunch of chicken pasta. He also decorated the plates very nicely, making a great presentation. The food itself was very good and I would likely go back again. Murphy was very friendly and made our dining experience very pleasant.