“Overrated Facility but gives a Good Massage”

Jackie's on the Reef
Ranked #4 of 16 Spas & Wellness in Negril
Seattle, WA
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Overrated Facility but gives a Good Massage”
Reviewed 21 January 2011

My friend and I had scheduled our massage at Jackie's for 1100 but had to wait until 1230. I would have been okay with waiting if there was somewhere comfortable to sit and perhaps have something nice to drink or ... There is nowhere to wait in comfort at Jackies. Jackie's is not really a spa but an open pavilion/resort offering new age spiritual guidance without much pampering. Do not expect luxury here. It is quiet but not very picturesque. It is somewhat isolated at the West end of Negril so, if you want to leave it is rather difficult. I was very happy we had a driver who came when we called so we could leave. I eventually had the massage at Jackie's in this scenic little hut next to the ocean. I must say, it was an excellent massage. I thought the prices were a little high and there was no real service to speak of. I must say, I expected more.

Visited January 2011
3 Thank kzecb40

Minneapolis, Minnesota
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 157 helpful votes
“Review on Massage Only”
Reviewed 23 February 2010

I’ve been to a few higher end spa facilities in Minnesota and although very nice, they all have the same theme. You’re given a robe, wait in the candlelit seating area, soothing music for your sole and have fish tanks and water fountains to relax you before you are shown to your room for your massage. What they are all trying to do is recreate what Jackies On The Reef has naturally.

Once you enter their gates you are in a quiet zone. You’re free to roam about the property or choose a daybed in various areas to relax until the masseuse is ready for you.

We had the couples massage and were taken to a hut steps from the sea. Imagine a massage with the only sounds of a sea gently lapping in the background. Very relaxing and romantic being side by side. Tara and Yolanda were our masseuses and Jackie must have hand-picked the best from the island.

At this time it was 60.00 per person for a one hour massage and it was positively worth it. Certainly, there are other options on getting a massage in Negril and most will come to where you are staying for the same price. But you can’t duplicate the atmosphere. Sure, it is a little drive to their residence, but why not take a scenic drive and enjoy the view while it is still an unspoiled area? They can set you up for a taxi and we used Sir Winston for the ride back. He is a very nice man and the prices are a set, reasonable rate.

Jackies will be a yearly visit for us and next time we will add the body scrub.

1 Thank mngolfergal
Washington DC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Jackie is rude and disrespectful to her clients”
Reviewed 15 February 2010

I didn't stay at Jackie's, but only went for an afternoon spa treatment. Although I was on time, my appointment was an hour late (although Jackie kept telling me every 15 minutes that it was 15 minutes behind). While making me wait for an hour, she attempted small talk with me by asking if I saw the movie Avatar. I told her that I didn't really like science fiction or animation and that friends of mine had seen it and said that the plot was thin. She became agitated and told me that there is a very important plot about Western civilization taking over other cultures and exploiting them for their resources---which she then felt obliged to make comparisons to the Bush administration and Iraq--and that my friend probably couldn't accept the truth. Wow. Not only had she made me wait for an hour, but she just insulted my friends, who she does not know, for their apparent imperialist tendencies. I would have left right then and there, except for the fact that I had prearranged a pick up and didn't want to stiff my cab driver. The poor driver waited an hour for me, which I felt reponsible for and ended up paying him extra. In all, a very expensive afternoon for a treatment that was average. I would definitely not. recommend going there ever. If Jackie had a spa in the U.S., she'd be lucky to earn one Jamaican dollar before going out of business.

1 Thank TravelGirlYoga