The Caves
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$194
US$670
US$313
US$218
US$193
Travellers Beach Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$102
US$73
Country Country Beach Cottages(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$174
US$126
US$162
US$150
  • Breakfast included
Firefly Beach Cottages(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$171
Xtabi Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$880
US$469
Bookit.com
White Sands Negril(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$76
TripAdvisor
All reviewscave dinnerblue holehot tubrum barblue dolphinthe cliffour honeymoonsands barbutterfly roomisland outpostmoon shadowother guestsbanana pancakesfoot jumpcouples massageprivate sunsetwaves crashing
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 December 2011

I won't repeat all the true and good things you've read about this resort. Here's my summary:

Best - the spa treatments, the personal service and friendly staff, the snorkeling excursions

Better - the food, rum cocktails, exclusive use of the resort and ameneties

Worse - the outdated bathroom

Overall this was an excellent resort. No crowds, personalized and exclusive service. You tend to bond with the other 6 or 8 couples who may be visiting at the same time. The suite we stayed in was awesome (can't remember the name). But we woke up to a picturesque view of the ocean every morning from our huge, plush king bed.

Looking forward to going back. And yes, we did the cliff dive!

Also: We actually traveled in October 2010 (this was not an option to select from the drip down menu)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank keshaa m
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I don't know where to begin when talking about The Caves. My wife and I were lucky enough to spend a week here and it was incredible from beginning to end. After reading all the reviews I would say our expectation level was through the roof. After the first hour there I knew what everyone had been raving about and I knew we hit the jackpot when booking this place.

The place is small and each room has it's own unique charm. We stayed in Stardust which is at the end of the property. It was nice as this was our honeymoon and we felt at times that we were the only people on the property. We tend to be social people though and loved getting to meet the other guests as well as staff. As others have said, you feel as though you are staying with a friend (a very rich one).

Go snorkeling with Paul as you will see all kinds of sealife. Just amazing snorkeling right at your feet during your entire stay. Paul pointed out sting ray, lion fish, eels, lobster, trunk fish and we even had an encounter with a nibbler fish that wanted my wife badly. We wanted to go kayaking with Paul but the kayak had recently been washed away and was gone. We honestly only left the property one time and that was to go horseback riding at Rhodes Hall Plantation. We were very happy to go on this excursion though and had a private tour with two guides who were very friendly. This tour was arranged through the front desk as was our jetski adventure. They bring the jetski right to the resort and let you go out for an hour.

The food is some of the best we have had. This is an all inclusive but there are not any menus or buffets. Take the advice of every other person on Tripadvisor and order the combo at every meal. Breakfast was incredible and it was hard for me to eat anything other than the banana pancakes. I tried the jamaican breakfast but it wasn't my thing. Lunch and dinner were incredible. We had a chance to talk with two of the chef's Ron and Omar who do not mess around. Just great meals every single day. Omar makes Jerk chicken on Wednesday at The Sands which was awesome. It was tough to eat dinner that night after the Jerk chicken but we somehow managed.

Just jump! Once you get started on the jumps it becomes addicting. I think the lowest jump is about 10 ft. and then the highest at the end of the property by Stardust is 33 ft. We were there with a great group of people and I think everyone was having a blast jumping from all the points. Bluehole was probably my favorite jump. Start off at the smaller jumps and work your way up. Also, drink a few dirty bananas,dark and stormy's, red stripes to build some courage.

I could go on and on about this place. My wife and I are all about traveling right now and usually when we go somewhere we think, on to the next place. Not here though, we want to be back in Negril at The Caves. We can't wait to book our next trip. The staff again is an all star cast. I know we didnt get everyone's name but we did have a chance to bond with some of them. Bartenders/servers Bryan, Azum, Charnete, Glenn. My man Oreen, Tanesha at the front desk was awesome and very helpful.

The last few things I want to add is to get a massage. I am not a big spa guy but we did the sugar scrub and full body massage and it was heaven. The private sunset hot tub experience was great and they brought us champaign as well as a cheese/fruit. The cave dining experience is about the most romantic thing you can ever imagine. Cave #1 was the perfect way to end our last night there. Love this place.

Room Tip: I think it is hard to go wrong. We had Stardust which was very private. No A/C but it doesn't matter when you have the ocean right there and the doors open.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ladblack
Reviewed 9 December 2011

Can I move in? I will work for room and board?!?!?!?

What a unique experience and the ultimate dream vacation spot. From the time we stepped foot on the property we were at ease. My husband and I stayed for three nights over Thanksgiving with my parents. The property is nestled in the cliffs and above ocean caves in Negril, just north of seven mile beach. For the best view I highly recommend the Butterfly Room. Amazing view and it actually felt like we were floating in the ocean! Reserve dinner in a cave and a private hot tub experience. I would recommend the private hot tub at sunset. We only had the option of night so make your reservations early. The spa was wonderful...again laying on the spa table felt like floating in the ocean.

Water sports: JUMP!!! I jumped and my husband enjoyed jumping from the higher spots. There are many different options for jumping...you just have to find the height you are comfortable with. Go snorkeling with Paul if you get a chance. Not much color, lots of fish and but claim water so it makes for an enjoyable experience. Paul will show you some fun spots.

Food and drinks: Enjoy an open bar 24-hours a day and if no bar attender then no problem....help yourself. The food is the best food I have ever eaten. I had to travel to The Caves to experience the BEST turkey dinner I have ever had. For breakfast you can just order whatever you like and they will make it for you. I liked the banana pancakes and an afternoon dirty banana cocktail. Clean rooms and decorate grounds. Always more staff than guests on property.

Once and a lifetime vacation!

Traveled November 2011
With family

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
15  Thank BooWCU
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My husband and I have just returned from a long weekend at The Caves and we are still marveling at the experience. In the past 3 years, we have been blessed to visit Italy, Paris, England, Barbados, China, Spain, Portugal, and while we LOVED many of the experiences and the hotels, NONE come close to The Caves. We thought that going to Negril and not going to the beach was ridiculous. After one day there we did not miss the beach AT ALL. To begin, it is the most romantic place I have visited. It is a small hotel, so even when full, it is not crowded. Second, the rooms, the grounds and the relaxation areas are spotless. We stayed in the Macka Tree room -the views of the Sea were spectacular. I was also advised that The Butterfly room is even more beautiful. Third, the food was amazing and you could get GREAT Jamaican food at the hotel, which is a huge feet as many hotels don't serve local cuisine. Order a Jamaican breakfast EVERYDAY!
Also, the level of service was exact. The staff was friendly, helpful (diving 60 feet to get my husband’s goggles!) but never intrusive. We went to JA for a wedding at a hotel next door. After seeing the other resort and eating there we were even happier we stayed at the Caves.
My only caution is that the water pressure is very low so if you like a hot, pulsing shower you will be a little disappointed, however all else The Caves has to offer more than makes up for it. Oh! And when you first get there read the guest book in your room! It helps!

Room Tip: Take a second floor room for greater privacy. Butterfly and Macka Tree rooms are BEAUTIFUL
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank tsahai85
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Highly, highly recommend this property for a unique experience. Spent 3 nights with spouse and newly wed daughter and son-in-law. This was our first trip to Negril.

The property is rustic but very will kept. Rooms and common areas kept spotless.
Situated along 2 acres of fossil cliffs (approx. 30 ft up) designed to provide spectacular ocean & sunset views with a myriad of private comfortable spots for couples. The staff is one of the best in Jamaica. They are genuine, intelligent, friendly and provide a high level of service while remaining unobtrusive. Really lovely people!

The accomodations are largely open air. I am not a good sleeper and need it cool to be comfortable at night to rest. I was able to sleep well here once we figured out to ask for a standing fan in conjunction with the A/C. I was at first surprised how close this property is to the road but night traffic noise was not an issue. The bed was excellent quality and very comfortably firm. The bed linens were clean and fresh but only average quality. The bath room was rustic but spotlessly clean and stocked with nice soft fluffy white towels. We found that there were other places on the property to take showers that were more enjoyable (sort of fun!) The sauna has a nice shower with good water pressure and was stocked with towels and robes. I also found a cool shower built into the side of the cliff near the 20 foot jump that was really a great experience to rinse off the salt water after a swim.

Food & Beverage: Everyone in our group thought the food was impressive! Honestly the filet and lobster tail dinner served in the cave was the best lobster I'd ever eaten! We all ate TOO much it was so good. Meals are graciously served and we really were able to enjoy our conversations while soaking up the views in the beautiful open air dinning spots. Beverages are plenty of filtered water, real sugar soft drinks in small bottles, wonderful Strawberry Hill Jamaican coffee. We found the wine selections to be superior to what we have had at other all inclusives. The sparkling wine is method traditional (no added gas to give you a head ache) and very nice for Mimosas. There is Smirnoff vodka, lots of liquors including Bailey's Irish creme and Tia Maria, Grand Marnier and a varieties of rums and wiskeys. My sense is that given the small size of the property options likely change somewhat from time to time. We greatly enjoyed the Dirty Monkey's after our afternoon swim and they will adjust the liquors to be weak or stronger (Filthy Dirty Monkey! haha!!) We did bring our own Grey Goose as that is my husband's favorite. The property did not serve it.

What to do first when you arrive: 1) Take a look around your surroundings. This place is gorgeous BUT you must keep your wits about you! LOTS of places where a fall could be injurious. 2) Make arrangements for reserving a cave dinner and a private sunset tub ASAP. They fill up but the staff really will work to make sure that every one gets a turn as much as possible. They decorate the caves so beautifully and the way they are built and all the fossils were so interesting. We did have a small bat fly in to check us out! It was an experience not to be missed. 3) Find Paul. He is in charge of all water sports. This is a great place for snorkling, not because the reefs are particularly colorful but there is MUCH to see and enjoy and just the fact that the water tends to be very calm and Paul is an EXPERT guide. You can keep snorkling or stop and go up any ladder as you care to . Snorkling around the caves was a fun experience. Paul will show you some surprises! You also want to see him dive and hopefully you will at least do one of the lower jumps. He will coach you. Every one on property sort of gets into cheering each other on to do jumps in the afternoon. Great experience!

Stargazing: We had some terrific night skies. Felt like you could reach out and touch the stars against the inky black night sky

Nightlife: Seemed like there were places close by but we did not venture out. The Sands bar at the end of the property had good music on two of the nights and we enjoyed a little dancing there. Mind you there were not even 20 people in the whole place including the staff. Still we really enjoyed just stepping out on the tiny dance floor under the stars to a few tunes. There are places set up to make drinks on the property and they are both situated with comfy seating good for enjoying the views. Help yourself if no one is tending bar. There is also the Cigar Bar in the cave for after dinner drinks.

Tips: Take a flashlight for evening explorations.

Room Tip: Most privacy in upstairs rooms. Ask for a standing fan for added comfort.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family