“A unique and beautiful setting”
Review of The Caves

The Caves
Ranked #6 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Everything I expected. June 15th-19th 2012. We were a bit nervous about traveling to Jamaica, we had heard mixed reviews about the safety of traveling to this country....but our experience was a very positive one. The island itself is beautiful and the people, in general, are very friendly.
As for the Caves, it is a an amazing boutique resort that sits at the very end of Negril overlooking the West Caribbean....as you can imagine some pretty amazing sunsets. It is quaint, private and very comfortable. I felt very safe, got to know most of the staff. We always felt like we were being taken care of.
PROS: FOOD is outstanding. We wanted traditional Jamaican food and that is what we got. Organic, fresh ingredients. Chef was amazing for all meals; breakfast lunch and dinner. Favorites were lobster for dinner, king mackerel for lunch and the Ackee with Salt fish for breakfast. Fresh fruit daily, good coffee etc
SERVICE. Jamaica is laid back, that is the attitude. We got to know several folks well. Orane, Brian, Paul, Randall.....all really friendly, good folks. We enjoyed talking a little Reggae and sharing stories about our families (especially on Fathers Day). They would do practically anything to make sure you were comfortable. Sometimes the bar was empty, so we helped ourselves to a Red Stripe or Ting and Vodka. that was part of the charm of the The Caves. However when my wife wanted a Dirty Banana or Cliff Hanger, there was always someone around to make one. From the Chef, to Paul (who seemed to have a knack for doing everything) everyone went out of their way to accommodate any request.
ACTIVITIES: The front desk did a spectacular job helping to coordinate a private snorkeling trip to a nearby reef, a private tour of Mayfield Falls and snorkeling and kayaking below the resort....all at a very reasonable price. Desmond was a great source for driving us to the falls and back to the airport. The famous Vincent Elvira was a perfect host for snorkeling and really getting to know the different life in and around the beautiful reef off 7 mile beach. Dinner in the Cave, just make sure you book it when you arrive. A very unique experience.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Comfortable room, beautiful setting.
CONS:
Accommodations: I know its "Shabby Chic" but the bathroom needed a bit of updating. Our toilet was not working properly the entire stay. They did try to fix it twice, but we continued to have issues. We didnt push it and didnt let it bother us too much. the main dining area should at least have a small air conditioned dining area. Its beautiful outside, but when it rained....inside was really warm. I am from Texas and couldnt stand it....not sure what the Canadians thought about the heat. All in all it worked out fine, but at times could be very uncomfortable....especially at dinner
POOL AND SPA: These are a mess. Might as well not even have them on the property....that was definitely the biggest let down.

In summary, we were very pleased with our stay. Location is absolutely beautiful, staff is outstanding, Food is spectacular. Nobody is perfect, but for the price we expected a pool and spa we could use.

Almost forgot, dont forget to jump off the cliffs! Start at 10ft and work your way up to 30. A ton of fun. Also, make sure you snorkel with Paul to the bat cave and blue hole. Such a beautiful place.....

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank papapromo
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Dear papapromo,

We thank you for your wonderful kudos about our property, service, staff and food.

As you know, we aim to give our guests not only a five star vacation, but a truly genuine and high standard of service. We feel we have been successful in carrying out our Company's and Owner's mission statement which is that "we strive to provide guests with a level of service so natural, that they would feel as if they were staying in the home of good friends. The atmosphere will be casual and friendly and we will make each a fun place with fresh and local food and efficient and unobtrusive service."

As for our property itself we know it has been compared to resorts seen on the coast of Greece due to the geographical make up and aqua blue water that surrounds us.

From time to time we have minor issues that is caused by the constant exposure to the salt air and sea, but these issues are always quickly looked after. We know that while you were here there was in issue with the Jacuzzi which was subsequently worked on - however, we do feel that our Mini Concept Aveda Spa speaks for itself as a lovely, inviting open air space that has gotten rave reviews from our guests over the years, (and awards!) so on the Spa side of the feedback, we are sure you perhaps were referring to the jacuzzi.

As for the Pool - it has been built into the side of the cliffs so as to fit in with our natural environment and although it is not an Olympic sized pool by any means, it is also a feature that draws alot of compliments.

Once again, we are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay so much, and look forward to welcoming you back very soon in the future.

One Love,

Reviewed 17 June 2012

The Caves is the perfect relaxing getaway. It is the most stunningly beautiful resort ever! No wonder celebrities flock here and the SI swimsuit issue was shot here. You feel like a celebrity here! It is private, romantic, warm, and friendly. The staff is awesome-they know you by name and each person has their own specialty cocktail-ask for them- they are delicious! The private sunset hot tub and cave dinner are straight out of an episode of athe Bachelor-so romantic! Thanks to Karyn, Glenn, Randall, an everyone who made our trip great! We'll be back!

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank TheKensingtons
Reviewed 15 June 2012

The Caves (June 10-13)

Sunday, June 10, 2012:

We checked in and had to have a guard open a gate to let us in after we got out of our cab. The man took our bags and we followed him to the front desk where we checked in. Two girls greeted us and gave me a form to fill out. She took a copy of my CC in case of incidentals and we were offered cold towels and drinks. She then walked us over to where we had lunch. She said after we ate our lunch we should come back to the front desk to get our room key and a tour. Lunch was good, a salad and option of king fish or pasta with cheese. We both opted for the fish and we both liked it. Not my favorite kind of fish, but it was well cooked and prepared nicely. It came with vegetables and 3 small croissant type rolls. They were small and I only had one, which was delicious.

After that we got our room key and another man escorted us to our room. We had a second floor villa, king bed, refrigerator with assorted drinks and snacks. Wine and beer as well. A huge bathroom and a balcony with a breathtaking view of the ocean. There was a small radio playing some reggae music which was already on when we walked in. It was very nice and the bed felt like a temperpedic mattress. Bill was extremely pleased. The sound of the ocean and the waves in the distance. There is no TV in the room, but you can ask for a TV and a DVD to be brought to the room. They also state that they have a laptop to use, if you would like.

We went back to the front desk to have our tour of the grounds. The woman who escorted us around told us she couldn't swim, which I found very amusing. The place is big with lots of places to dive into the ocean. Little platforms everywhere, ranging from 10 feet to 32 feet drops. Some of the drops were very scary because the waves were crashing against the rocks and the waters were very rough at times. I'm not sure I will jump off into the ocean at all while I'm here, the jumps and drops all looked very intimidating.

We booked dinner at one of the special caves where your alone in a cave and next to the water. You have to book dinner in advance for a cave experience, as they call it. We also booked a private room where your in a hot tub. You have the choice of wine or champagne and a fruit with cheese platter. This is completely private and the two times offered are 5:30 and 9:30pm. The 5:30 one is the best time because you get to watch the sunset while your in this private hot tub room eating and drinking together.

We also booked a couples massage which is overlooking the ocean and in complete privacy. The view is amazing and the sounds of the ocean are serene.

Dinner started at 7:30pm. The dinner area was right near our room. Before we left they did a turn down service where they put the AC on in our room, closed all the windows, put on the mood lighting and pulled a bug net around the bed. It was very romantic.

Dinner was on a second floor terrace with a beautiful view of the night sky. We had a choice of house wine, red or white, of champagne. They have two options for appetizer and the main course each night.

After dinner we watched TV in the main area under where we ate on the terrace. We met another young couple watching TV and talked for a few hours before going to bed.

Monday -
Breakfast till 10am and we got to there around 930am. We could order eggs any way we liked, they had french toast and pancakes with or without bananas. Bill ordered one of the banana pancake and I had a taste. It was amazing! I ordered an egg white omelette with vegetables no cheese. To start we each got a fruit platter and water. Everything was great. My only complaint was they put onions in my omelette, which I asked for without.
I also got coffee, which was a little strong, like the coffee I had the night before.

We decided after breakfast to check out this other 3 bedroom suite that you had to go in an underground tunnel to get to. It was huge and completely secluded from the rest of the hotel. It had its own pool and if you stayed there and wanted it all-inclusive, you would get a Butler to bring you food. Crazy!
We walked back and decided to go snorkeling. We each got flippers and masks and entered the ocean on one of the sides of the caves that had a ladder going in. The water was a perfect temperature and clear aquamarine in color. We were with a guide who was a good swimmer and clearly knew the ocean very well. We went into 2 cave like areas where the water was very rough. One of them you had to go under and swim up to the other side. Bill hit his head on the way out which wasn't pleasant.
We swam around and snorkeled for a few hours it felt like. We saw some pretty blue fish, a stingray and an octopus (although I couldn't see it).
There are many cliffs you can jump off of and Bill decided to jump off the 20 foot cliff. I took some pictures of him jumping.
Then we had lunch.
First a Greek salad then a choice of shrimp in coconut sauce or pasta with red sauce. We both opted for the shrimp. It was delicious. It came with sweet plantains, brown rice and some green type of vegetable that was also in my omelet for breakfast. I asked what it was called and the waitress said it was 'calarey' (not sure if the spelling).
We had a choice of lemon cake with pineapple sauce or banana bread for dessert. They also had a variety of ice cream. We tried both of the desserts, no ice cream. I drank about 5 glasses of water and one alcoholic drink (not sure what was in it but I could taste it had rum).
530 is our private hot tub experience in a room with a view of the sunset. Then 730 a private dinner in one of the caves.

Hot tub at 530 was very private, a small room with a hot tub Jacuzzi and a cheese, fruit, and crackers plate plus a bottle of red wine. A larger window with wide open shutters and a small lounge seat next to the hot tub. We could close the door and lock it and had till 7pm in there. The water was a little too warm for the both of us so we let some of the water out by opening the drain and added cold water. We had our 'fun' in there and lasted about 40 minutes before we both were still to hot to stay any longer. Our room was literally 2 sets of stairs up so we left after about 45 min. Back in our room we showered and freshened up for our private caves dinner.
At 730 we walked down to the caves dining area and were pleasantly surprised by the romantic table set up for just the two of us. Glowing with candles and rose petals everywhere, we sat at our table. The waves were literally crashing against the rocks inside the cave right next to us. It was very romantic, almost too romantic to not have anything special to celebrate, like a birthday, anniversary or honeymoon.
After about 15 minutes, we both were dripping with sweat. As beautiful as being in the cave was, there wasn't much of a breeze so we stepped outside to wait for our waiter. First the bread was flaky croissants which I love. The first dish was an island fruit. Not sure what it was but we tried it and it was good. Then we had a salad with raisins and cheese. Dinner was glazed chicken, sort of teriyaki style. With white rice and mixed steamed vegetables. There was also conch but we didn't eat that. Dessert was chocolate lava cake and a vanilla muffin. Both were good, but we were stuffed so we only had a bite of each. I drank red wine throughout the evening.

Tuesday we got up and had breakfast. We had a fruit plate to start and had oatmeal. The oatmeal was delicious. They added a bit of cinnamon and milk. We added bananas from our fruit plate to the oatmeal. I had my usual coffee.
2pm- we had a couples massage. It was our top 3 best massages ever. We were outside but under an over hang and could hear the ocean and feel a breeze that put us both to sleep.
Lunch was a salad with creamy dressing in the side. Then jerk chicken with french fries and 3 mini rolls which were like fried battered dough, not healthy but tasted awesome. Dessert was a mango cake with grape seed iced cream. Both Bill and I finished it off completely, having a portion of ice cream each.
We went into the ocean again for a bit then in the pool. The Jacuzzi was over 120 degrees, at least that's what the thermometer said.
We went back to our room to take a shower and relax before dinner.

Headed over to the dining area around 645pm. Talked with another couple here on their honeymoon while attempting to watch TV as well. Around 730 was when the storm came. Lightning came lit up the skies like a christmas tree. Thunder came
as well but was sporadic. Our last dinner at the caves was definitely a bang, so to speak. We had salad first and shrimp with spinach, brown rice and beans, and some steamed cabbage and vegetables for dinner. It was delicious. We decided to pass on dessert this time. We both felt too full. The lightening and thunder continued till well after we were done.
We hung out in the dining area and watched some TV.
We eventually went to bed and got packed for the following day which was our departure.
We were all packed by 945am so we went and got breakfast before our cab got there at 11am. I had oatmeal again and Bill got an omelet with tomato and cheese. Both were great! Our only bill at checkout was our massages, which were $115 a person. A little on the high side but still one of our best massages ever. Our cab arrived promptly at 11am and the cab driver got us to the airport in 1 hour and 20 minutes as promised. He charged us $80 dollars which was less then what the hotel would have charged so we tipped him $20 totaling $100 dollars. He was a nice guy and made us feel safe, so we felt it was worth it.

All in all the caves was a great experience and we would recommend it to anyone. Personally, we wouldn't go back because were not fans of Jamaica, but we would still give it a thumbs up for anyone else.

Room Tip: I don't know that there could be a bad room on this resort. When you check in, book the couples...
5  Thank PaintedCanvas1975
Reviewed 14 June 2012

This is a long overdue review of our trip to The Caves in October for our 5 year wedding anniversary and first trip away from our son. People often say that pictures don't do a place justice. That couldn't be more true for The Caves. As beautiful as it is in the pictures, it's even more breathtaking in person. I am almost hesitant to post this because I don't want people to discovery this gem, but I feel obligated to tell people that this hotel deserves every accolade it receives--it's that special.

We stayed here for 4 nights after staying at Couples Swept Away. Both are very different. Couples is more for a social crowd, there's always something going on at all times. We like that about Couples but what we really wanted was relaxation and we definitely got it at The Caves. If you do decide to split your trip between a resort on the beach and The Caves, I urge you to save The Caves for last otherwise you may be disappointed with your second resort. Nothing lives up to this place, period. Plus it's great to start out in a fun, active environment and end on a more romantic, laid back note.

We thought we'd be bored after a few nights because we are social and like to meet people but we actually could have stayed a few more nights. The resort is very small and intimate so you get to know other guests well. You can be as social or as secluded as you want, it's all up to you.

We are huge beach people so we were sure the lack of beach would bother us. Not once did we miss the beach. The water at The Caves is like one big, warm pool. The water was extremely calm, even during hurricane season. Even someone who isn't a strong swimmer should be fine. There are plenty of rafts so you can just float around for hours. Truly heaven.

We aren't big snorkelers but we couldn't help ourselves here. There are snorkel sets sitting out all over the resort so we'd often just grab them and dive in. We saw eel, lobster, and some of the most colorful fish. I'm from Hawaii so I know good snorkeling and this was top notch and like nothing I've ever experienced. Paul, the head of activities, would lead several snorkel tours throughout the week which was great because he can see things others may miss.

Food is an important factor for us when we book a vacation. This food was by far the best we've had at any of the 10 or so all inclusives we've visited and perhaps some of the best we've had period. We were open to trying lots of new things, which anyone should be who visits here. Of course, if you don't like something they are more than willing to give you alternatives. Do try the "Jamaican breakfast" at least once. I had it the first day and was hooked. For drinks I highly recommend anything mixed with their homemade watermelon juice, especially their signature drink.

Make sure to book a dinner in the caves when you arrive. We planned to dine in a private cave and were worried we wouldn't get the chance since you can't book in advance and we were only staying a few nights. We had no problem booking a private cave dinner, but in the end we decided to dine in the larger cave with several of the friends we met. Nothing was more spectacular than sharing wine and good conversation in a candle lit cave overlooking the ocean while dining on lobster!

We stayed in Stardust, which is a very special two story room that's set off to the side. The views were breathtaking and the room was perfect. While we enjoyed the privacy, I think we would have preferred to be closer to the heart of the action. Honestly, there wasn't a bad room in the place. Each is unique in its own way. One befit to Stardust is that it was next to The Sands--the main bar at The Caves. We loved helping ourselves to drinks throughout the day (when bar isn't manned) and just relaxing on our own. We were concerned that the area would be noisy on nights that The Sands was open to the public but it never became roudy and never could we hear any of The Sands excitement from our nearby room. Oh, and don't be scared off by the lack of air conditioning. The winds that time of year are strong enough to cool down the room, plus they provide fans.

One more tip. If you want to call home, try one of the free internet calling services. We spoke to my son via an online phone connection every night and never had any issues. It was a great way to keep in touch and was cheaper than buying a phone card and trying to get through to the family.

If you are thinking about going here, do it. Even though it was more than we typically spend for a Jamaican vacation, the place was a bargain in our opinion. We talk about our trip all the time and can't wait to return. Go make memories, you won't regret it.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Vegasbaby
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We were a little nervous upon landing at the airport and looking for the private driver The Caves were supposed to send. Finally, after about 10 minutes, we found him. "Mr. Bond" was our personal driver that took us to the Caves. When we arrived at the Caves Resort, we were pleasantly surprised when we drove through the gate. We were immediately given lunch, shown around the grounds and taken to our room (Blue Hole). We thought it was lovely and we had just enough privacy. We were glad to have a room with an air conditioner to cool off at night. The bed was amazing! (Wished I could take it home.) The food was equally amazing! We tried everything! We really enjoyed the relaxed family atmosphere of the Caves. The staff were wonderful (Shernett & Fiona, Hugh, Ian and Randall, Enid and Elizabeth). We had a terrific couples massage that was relaxing. The water was a little too rough if you aren't a good swimmer. However, I still enjoyed snorkeling while holding on to the ladder and see a few small fish :) Overall, it was a fantastic few days of relaxation!

1  Thank gkkates
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We stayed here in Nov '11 after my husband and I renewed our vows in Negril at another resort. I will forever compare any top of the line service to The Caves to see how they stand up. The employees were absolutely wonderful (Paul is awesome). We stayed in the MoonShadow with two bedrooms and an outside shower. It was a first for me to shower outside and I loved it!!! This place is soooo secluded that they only time we saw other guests was around feeding times :) This place is well worth the cost!!!! The food was fabulous (I worked in fine dining in New Orleans for years and I have to give them props for their food). Don't forget to make reservations for the cave dinners as soon as you get there. Also Michelle and Michelle give the best massages!

Room Tip: The website has a map of their rooms, all are nice and pretty secluded. The MoonShadow is a secluded...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jessica F
Reviewed 31 May 2012

The Caves is just that - Natural Beauty - ya'mon. Everything from the cliff formations to the genuinely wonderful staff members make this intimate resort a pleasure to relax. My friend and I stayed compliments of Aveda (my friend fortunatley had enough points for the stay). I read all reviews before going and was still skeptical there was no way any one place can be sooo great. Well, all reviews are very accurate. I will be planning another vacation so my husband can experience total relaxation.

My first thought was "ah what a bummer, no beach to hang out and run into the water". After staying at The Caves, I now realize that the beach is overrated. Sun basking on the side of a cliff is where it's at!! And jumping into the ocean is much more exhilirating than running in.

The food was excellent. Drinks were perfect, even non-alcoholic drinks were great. The lemonade was wonderful. Rooms were beach rustic, that is the only way I can describe them. But you really never stay in your room until you need to sleep. I love the intimate setting and that there are only 12 huts. It is like staying at a quaint bed and breakfast but with the ability to jump off a 30' cliff into pristine blue water - AWESOME.

Oh yea, I do have to mention Paul. He is a Jamaican treasure! Paul is your snorkel/aquatic guide at The Caves. He is patient, friendly and caring and a joy to snorkel with.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank ehorsman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Round Hill Hotel & Villas
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#7 of 81 in Negril

Been to The Caves? Share your experiences!