“Simply Paradise”
Review of The Caves

The Caves
Ranked #7 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 13 July 2012

In the last few years, my husband and I have been to several popular Caribbean destinations and are nearly always greeted with the phrase, “Welcome to paradise.” Tropical sand, sun and surf tend to fit fairly easily into that category, but at no location is that descriptor more accurate than at The Caves in Negril.
Having stayed at the Hilton Rose Hall in Montego Bay for five days prior to our arrival (a location that in comparison doesn’t even warrant a review), we thought we were relaxed already. Within five minutes, we realized we hadn’t known the meaning of the word. The all-inclusive resort sits atop the scenic cliffs in Negril overlooking the ocean and a more peaceful site, I cannot recall. In contrast to some of the larger “mega-resorts” in which we’ve stayed before, The Caves is a small boutique-style place with less than 20 rooms on the entire property, giving it an intimate, secluded vibe. Each room (designated by names, not numbers) has a unique architecture and décor and is equipped with a bottle of Blackwell rum, white and red wine, fresh-ground Blue Mountain coffee, an insanely comfortable bed and a collection of reggae CDs which a note explains the staff will be happy to copy for you if you like. Some rooms, like ours, come equipped with an al fresco shower.
That being said, we did not spend much time in the room, preferring the view from the cliffs and the company of both the staff and guests to isolation. The Caves is not a place of pretention, rather, it’s the kind of place where you can walk around barefoot, eat breakfast (oh, those banana pancakes!) in your bathing suit, enjoy a soothing sunset and laugh with like-minded people. The staff is the most helpful and accommodating I have ever encountered. Whether you want vegetarian fare or nostalgic cuisine from your island childhood (as was the case for one guest who had grown up in Martinique), the answer is “no problem.” My husband was even scolded for getting out of the hot tub to order drinks from the bar. But the other guests at the hotel were half of what made our stay so memorable. Jumping off a 30-foot cliff into the Caribbean is so much less intimidating when you have a crowd cheering you on.
The Caves also includes several experiences that would be considered “extras” at your standard all-inclusive resort. How does an hour in the private hot tub room at sunset with champagne, fruit & cheese sound? Or dinner for two in one of the caves for which the resort is named? Personalized snorkeling and diving tours? Check. Because we traveled using my Aveda Pure Privilege points, a couple’s seaside massage was also complimentary.
Given all this, it’s easy to see why everyone there walked around with a huge smile on their face, until it was time to leave, that is. On those days, you could tell who was checking out b/c they (us included) looked as though they might burst into tears at any moment. In a word, the whole experience was rather magical. If you ever have the chance, go. I can promise you we’ll be back.

PS: Cinnamon bowl. ;)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank PhillyChick78
There are newer reviews for The Caves

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Just spent a week in Negril and stayed at The Caves for three nights and Rockhouse for four nights. If I were to do it all over again I'd stay at Caves the entire time. (The Rockhouse is very nice, but Caves is that much better.)

If you're looking for the Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton, keep looking. If you've poured over all the reviews on Trip Advisor and think that the barefoot luxury offered by the Caves sounds really good, well, then you're the type of traveller that will enjoy the Caves more than I can describe here. The reviews on Trip Advisor are spot-on. You'll notice any negative reviews have a suitable response from the Caves staff, and that's because they really care. The positive reviews have already covered a lot, but here's my take, in no particular order:

1. We went in the off season, June, and it was fine. Mosquitos were a very minor annoyance not worth worry.
2. Because it was summer, the Cave dinner we booked one night was pretty warm inside the Cave, even at night. Still worth doing but this was the only downside, I think, of going in the off season.
3. The room (Birds Nest) we had was very nice, quaint, and had A/C that worked a bit too well! The A/C works from a remote control, so it was easy to adjust during the night without having to get up, which is a very nice touch. We used the mosquito netting over the bed which was a new experience and no big deal. Each room comes with a little diary and guests fill out notes and tips (usually which drinks to order!) after their stay, which is fun to read through.
4. Everything you've read about Paul, the lifeguard / snorkel guide, is true. The guy is famous on Trip Advisor and doesn't even know it!
5. Complaints about the plumbing are, unfortunately, true. The water pressure in the room sucked. A little patience gets you all the water you need, but I can see this as an issue for many people. The bed was comfortable but starting to sag in the middle.
6. Raves about the food are correct. If you are a picky eater, they will accommodate you but you're missing out. The Caves offers a couple entree selections for lunch and dinner. While there is not much choice, the preparation was consistently excellent and the food was very good, especially the seafood. I don't give praise like this lightly. Having stayed at the Rockhouse during the same trip (Rockhouse supposedly has the best food in Negril), I think the meals at the Caves were a bit better: fresh ingredients, cooked perfectly, and unique recipes. Breakfast is "anything you want, mon!" -- they'll make you anything, but the reviews you see here about the banana pancakes are true and you should just get that. I can't explain it, you'd think pancakes are pancakes, but they're something else at Caves -- sprinkled with heroin or something.
7. The staff are excellent, and I don't give this type of praise easily, either. They are unobtrusive, super friendly, and really seem to enjoy their jobs and go out of their way to make your vacation whatever you want it to be. They make it look easy, but I know it isn't. In comparison, the staff at Rockhouse were satisfactory but obviously not trained to provide 5-star service like you get at the Caves. It's a subtle difference and I certainly noticed.

Thanks, Caves! Hope to come back.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have A/C. If you're going in the summer, this is a consideration.
13  Thank JonB290
Reviewed 6 July 2012

My wife and I spent 5 days at The Caves as part of our honeymoon and it was a perfect choice. The clifftop location is spectacular, the room (we stayed in the Bird's Nest) charming, the food delicious and the staff, while professional at all times, friendly and unobtrusive. There are plenty of activities with which to occupy oneself - swimming, snorkelling, kayaking and jumping off the cliffs (or into the Blue Hole) - if you are that way inclined. Alternatively, you can grab a refreshing beverage and relax in the jacuzzi, the pool or on one of the many alcoves built into the cliff-face. Don't miss the opportunity to experience the private hot tub, a massage at the spa and private dining in one of the candle-lit caves. All three locations are fabulous. This exclusive resort is a great place to chill out and be pampered.

2  Thank Hanyut
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I heard about The Caves through watching a t.v. program and IMMEDIATELY had to research it and knew that this was the perfect place to spend our 10 year anniversary. We were there during June 28th-July 1st. So first off, yes it's a scary drive there. But worth it. I have never been to a place like this and loved the "boutiqueness". It's small...but perfect. It's rustic but charming. It's ROMANTIC. They go out of their way for the romance. There are many little secluded places and in the evening there are cave dinners, stone table dinner (which we loved more then the cave dinner), the hot tub, and the sunsets. If you take away anything from my review, please, please get your massage in the cave. We both knew we would never get that experience anywhere else so even though I had to book it early (10am) before the cave got hot, it was truly a beautiful experience. Trumps all massages!!! Food was spectacular. My husband loved the seafood and I am a vegetarian and everything they did for me was delicious! Cliff diving freaked me out...but after some liquid courage I did the 10, 20 and 30 ft. You have to. Don't regret not doing it!!! Try, even once! The only complaint we have is that we weren't there long enough. We will do this again but for a week. And lastly, the people you meet....we were so happy to meet. Even if we knew them only for this trip we are so happy to have had the chance! It was fun!
Inside Joke: cinnamon bowls
Cheers my friends!

Room Tip: We had the Macka Tree and slept to the waves that were made in the Blue Hole. It was nice!
4  Thank Theresa S
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Everything I expected. June 15th-19th 2012. We were a bit nervous about traveling to Jamaica, we had heard mixed reviews about the safety of traveling to this country....but our experience was a very positive one. The island itself is beautiful and the people, in general, are very friendly.
As for the Caves, it is a an amazing boutique resort that sits at the very end of Negril overlooking the West Caribbean....as you can imagine some pretty amazing sunsets. It is quaint, private and very comfortable. I felt very safe, got to know most of the staff. We always felt like we were being taken care of.
PROS: FOOD is outstanding. We wanted traditional Jamaican food and that is what we got. Organic, fresh ingredients. Chef was amazing for all meals; breakfast lunch and dinner. Favorites were lobster for dinner, king mackerel for lunch and the Ackee with Salt fish for breakfast. Fresh fruit daily, good coffee etc
SERVICE. Jamaica is laid back, that is the attitude. We got to know several folks well. Orane, Brian, Paul, Randall.....all really friendly, good folks. We enjoyed talking a little Reggae and sharing stories about our families (especially on Fathers Day). They would do practically anything to make sure you were comfortable. Sometimes the bar was empty, so we helped ourselves to a Red Stripe or Ting and Vodka. that was part of the charm of the The Caves. However when my wife wanted a Dirty Banana or Cliff Hanger, there was always someone around to make one. From the Chef, to Paul (who seemed to have a knack for doing everything) everyone went out of their way to accommodate any request.
ACTIVITIES: The front desk did a spectacular job helping to coordinate a private snorkeling trip to a nearby reef, a private tour of Mayfield Falls and snorkeling and kayaking below the resort....all at a very reasonable price. Desmond was a great source for driving us to the falls and back to the airport. The famous Vincent Elvira was a perfect host for snorkeling and really getting to know the different life in and around the beautiful reef off 7 mile beach. Dinner in the Cave, just make sure you book it when you arrive. A very unique experience.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Comfortable room, beautiful setting.
CONS:
Accommodations: I know its "Shabby Chic" but the bathroom needed a bit of updating. Our toilet was not working properly the entire stay. They did try to fix it twice, but we continued to have issues. We didnt push it and didnt let it bother us too much. the main dining area should at least have a small air conditioned dining area. Its beautiful outside, but when it rained....inside was really warm. I am from Texas and couldnt stand it....not sure what the Canadians thought about the heat. All in all it worked out fine, but at times could be very uncomfortable....especially at dinner
POOL AND SPA: These are a mess. Might as well not even have them on the property....that was definitely the biggest let down.

In summary, we were very pleased with our stay. Location is absolutely beautiful, staff is outstanding, Food is spectacular. Nobody is perfect, but for the price we expected a pool and spa we could use.

Almost forgot, dont forget to jump off the cliffs! Start at 10ft and work your way up to 30. A ton of fun. Also, make sure you snorkel with Paul to the bat cave and blue hole. Such a beautiful place.....

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank papapromo
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Dear papapromo,

We thank you for your wonderful kudos about our property, service, staff and food.

As you know, we aim to give our guests not only a five star vacation, but a truly genuine and high standard of service. We feel we have been successful in carrying out our Company's and Owner's mission statement which is that "we strive to provide guests with a level of service so natural, that they would feel as if they were staying in the home of good friends. The atmosphere will be casual and friendly and we will make each a fun place with fresh and local food and efficient and unobtrusive service."

As for our property itself we know it has been compared to resorts seen on the coast of Greece due to the geographical make up and aqua blue water that surrounds us.

From time to time we have minor issues that is caused by the constant exposure to the salt air and sea, but these issues are always quickly looked after. We know that while you were here there was in issue with the Jacuzzi which was subsequently worked on - however, we do feel that our Mini Concept Aveda Spa speaks for itself as a lovely, inviting open air space that has gotten rave reviews from our guests over the years, (and awards!) so on the Spa side of the feedback, we are sure you perhaps were referring to the jacuzzi.

As for the Pool - it has been built into the side of the cliffs so as to fit in with our natural environment and although it is not an Olympic sized pool by any means, it is also a feature that draws alot of compliments.

Once again, we are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay so much, and look forward to welcoming you back very soon in the future.

One Love,

Reviewed 17 June 2012

The Caves is the perfect relaxing getaway. It is the most stunningly beautiful resort ever! No wonder celebrities flock here and the SI swimsuit issue was shot here. You feel like a celebrity here! It is private, romantic, warm, and friendly. The staff is awesome-they know you by name and each person has their own specialty cocktail-ask for them- they are delicious! The private sunset hot tub and cave dinner are straight out of an episode of athe Bachelor-so romantic! Thanks to Karyn, Glenn, Randall, an everyone who made our trip great! We'll be back!

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank TheKensingtons
Reviewed 15 June 2012

The Caves (June 10-13)

Sunday, June 10, 2012:

We checked in and had to have a guard open a gate to let us in after we got out of our cab. The man took our bags and we followed him to the front desk where we checked in. Two girls greeted us and gave me a form to fill out. She took a copy of my CC in case of incidentals and we were offered cold towels and drinks. She then walked us over to where we had lunch. She said after we ate our lunch we should come back to the front desk to get our room key and a tour. Lunch was good, a salad and option of king fish or pasta with cheese. We both opted for the fish and we both liked it. Not my favorite kind of fish, but it was well cooked and prepared nicely. It came with vegetables and 3 small croissant type rolls. They were small and I only had one, which was delicious.

After that we got our room key and another man escorted us to our room. We had a second floor villa, king bed, refrigerator with assorted drinks and snacks. Wine and beer as well. A huge bathroom and a balcony with a breathtaking view of the ocean. There was a small radio playing some reggae music which was already on when we walked in. It was very nice and the bed felt like a temperpedic mattress. Bill was extremely pleased. The sound of the ocean and the waves in the distance. There is no TV in the room, but you can ask for a TV and a DVD to be brought to the room. They also state that they have a laptop to use, if you would like.

We went back to the front desk to have our tour of the grounds. The woman who escorted us around told us she couldn't swim, which I found very amusing. The place is big with lots of places to dive into the ocean. Little platforms everywhere, ranging from 10 feet to 32 feet drops. Some of the drops were very scary because the waves were crashing against the rocks and the waters were very rough at times. I'm not sure I will jump off into the ocean at all while I'm here, the jumps and drops all looked very intimidating.

We booked dinner at one of the special caves where your alone in a cave and next to the water. You have to book dinner in advance for a cave experience, as they call it. We also booked a private room where your in a hot tub. You have the choice of wine or champagne and a fruit with cheese platter. This is completely private and the two times offered are 5:30 and 9:30pm. The 5:30 one is the best time because you get to watch the sunset while your in this private hot tub room eating and drinking together.

We also booked a couples massage which is overlooking the ocean and in complete privacy. The view is amazing and the sounds of the ocean are serene.

Dinner started at 7:30pm. The dinner area was right near our room. Before we left they did a turn down service where they put the AC on in our room, closed all the windows, put on the mood lighting and pulled a bug net around the bed. It was very romantic.

Dinner was on a second floor terrace with a beautiful view of the night sky. We had a choice of house wine, red or white, of champagne. They have two options for appetizer and the main course each night.

After dinner we watched TV in the main area under where we ate on the terrace. We met another young couple watching TV and talked for a few hours before going to bed.

Monday -
Breakfast till 10am and we got to there around 930am. We could order eggs any way we liked, they had french toast and pancakes with or without bananas. Bill ordered one of the banana pancake and I had a taste. It was amazing! I ordered an egg white omelette with vegetables no cheese. To start we each got a fruit platter and water. Everything was great. My only complaint was they put onions in my omelette, which I asked for without.
I also got coffee, which was a little strong, like the coffee I had the night before.

We decided after breakfast to check out this other 3 bedroom suite that you had to go in an underground tunnel to get to. It was huge and completely secluded from the rest of the hotel. It had its own pool and if you stayed there and wanted it all-inclusive, you would get a Butler to bring you food. Crazy!
We walked back and decided to go snorkeling. We each got flippers and masks and entered the ocean on one of the sides of the caves that had a ladder going in. The water was a perfect temperature and clear aquamarine in color. We were with a guide who was a good swimmer and clearly knew the ocean very well. We went into 2 cave like areas where the water was very rough. One of them you had to go under and swim up to the other side. Bill hit his head on the way out which wasn't pleasant.
We swam around and snorkeled for a few hours it felt like. We saw some pretty blue fish, a stingray and an octopus (although I couldn't see it).
There are many cliffs you can jump off of and Bill decided to jump off the 20 foot cliff. I took some pictures of him jumping.
Then we had lunch.
First a Greek salad then a choice of shrimp in coconut sauce or pasta with red sauce. We both opted for the shrimp. It was delicious. It came with sweet plantains, brown rice and some green type of vegetable that was also in my omelet for breakfast. I asked what it was called and the waitress said it was 'calarey' (not sure if the spelling).
We had a choice of lemon cake with pineapple sauce or banana bread for dessert. They also had a variety of ice cream. We tried both of the desserts, no ice cream. I drank about 5 glasses of water and one alcoholic drink (not sure what was in it but I could taste it had rum).
530 is our private hot tub experience in a room with a view of the sunset. Then 730 a private dinner in one of the caves.

Hot tub at 530 was very private, a small room with a hot tub Jacuzzi and a cheese, fruit, and crackers plate plus a bottle of red wine. A larger window with wide open shutters and a small lounge seat next to the hot tub. We could close the door and lock it and had till 7pm in there. The water was a little too warm for the both of us so we let some of the water out by opening the drain and added cold water. We had our 'fun' in there and lasted about 40 minutes before we both were still to hot to stay any longer. Our room was literally 2 sets of stairs up so we left after about 45 min. Back in our room we showered and freshened up for our private caves dinner.
At 730 we walked down to the caves dining area and were pleasantly surprised by the romantic table set up for just the two of us. Glowing with candles and rose petals everywhere, we sat at our table. The waves were literally crashing against the rocks inside the cave right next to us. It was very romantic, almost too romantic to not have anything special to celebrate, like a birthday, anniversary or honeymoon.
After about 15 minutes, we both were dripping with sweat. As beautiful as being in the cave was, there wasn't much of a breeze so we stepped outside to wait for our waiter. First the bread was flaky croissants which I love. The first dish was an island fruit. Not sure what it was but we tried it and it was good. Then we had a salad with raisins and cheese. Dinner was glazed chicken, sort of teriyaki style. With white rice and mixed steamed vegetables. There was also conch but we didn't eat that. Dessert was chocolate lava cake and a vanilla muffin. Both were good, but we were stuffed so we only had a bite of each. I drank red wine throughout the evening.

Tuesday we got up and had breakfast. We had a fruit plate to start and had oatmeal. The oatmeal was delicious. They added a bit of cinnamon and milk. We added bananas from our fruit plate to the oatmeal. I had my usual coffee.
2pm- we had a couples massage. It was our top 3 best massages ever. We were outside but under an over hang and could hear the ocean and feel a breeze that put us both to sleep.
Lunch was a salad with creamy dressing in the side. Then jerk chicken with french fries and 3 mini rolls which were like fried battered dough, not healthy but tasted awesome. Dessert was a mango cake with grape seed iced cream. Both Bill and I finished it off completely, having a portion of ice cream each.
We went into the ocean again for a bit then in the pool. The Jacuzzi was over 120 degrees, at least that's what the thermometer said.
We went back to our room to take a shower and relax before dinner.

Headed over to the dining area around 645pm. Talked with another couple here on their honeymoon while attempting to watch TV as well. Around 730 was when the storm came. Lightning came lit up the skies like a christmas tree. Thunder came
as well but was sporadic. Our last dinner at the caves was definitely a bang, so to speak. We had salad first and shrimp with spinach, brown rice and beans, and some steamed cabbage and vegetables for dinner. It was delicious. We decided to pass on dessert this time. We both felt too full. The lightening and thunder continued till well after we were done.
We hung out in the dining area and watched some TV.
We eventually went to bed and got packed for the following day which was our departure.
We were all packed by 945am so we went and got breakfast before our cab got there at 11am. I had oatmeal again and Bill got an omelet with tomato and cheese. Both were great! Our only bill at checkout was our massages, which were $115 a person. A little on the high side but still one of our best massages ever. Our cab arrived promptly at 11am and the cab driver got us to the airport in 1 hour and 20 minutes as promised. He charged us $80 dollars which was less then what the hotel would have charged so we tipped him $20 totaling $100 dollars. He was a nice guy and made us feel safe, so we felt it was worth it.

All in all the caves was a great experience and we would recommend it to anyone. Personally, we wouldn't go back because were not fans of Jamaica, but we would still give it a thumbs up for anyone else.

Room Tip: I don't know that there could be a bad room on this resort. When you check in, book the couples...
5  Thank PaintedCanvas1975
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#6 of 80 in Negril
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to The Caves? Share your experiences!