“Relaxation at it's best!”
Review of The Caves

The Caves
Ranked #6 of 81 Hotels in Negril
North Carolina
“Relaxation at it's best!”
Reviewed 6 September 2009

I will save time and space. All of the reviews on here are spot on and I appreciate everyone's feedback. The Caves is definitely a resort where you just sit back and unwind from all of the hustle n' bustle. If you like an action packed super resort this is not the one for you. If you are looking for the super lush rooms and amenities this is not a place for you either. I have stayed at several large commericalized resorts and they were all nice but this is definitely a step back from all of those super resorts. I enjoyed that the Caves was a different experience and it wasn't your cookie cutter resort. The food at the Caves was the best that I've had at any resort. The staff are happy to serve and you can even serve yourself if you want to. My recommendations are to read the journals in your room and to try everything so you can experience the Caves just like everyone else has. What I like the most about the Caves was the seclusion from everything and that you may only see 3 or 4 couples at the most while you are staying. You can just really soak up the fun and the sun while sipping cocktails and enjoying fabulous food. You can meet some amazing people including the staff. Take the time to get to know each one of them and you will definitely feel like family while you stay.

1 Thank globetrotting_golfer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
CA
Reviewed 2 September 2009

If you're looking for things to do all the time or nightlife this is not the resort for you. It is mainly a resort to bring a good book or two or three and relax on the cliffs. There are activities but if you constantly need something to do look elsewhere. The Caves is the place to relax and not be crowded with a lot of other tourists or screaming children. When we were here we didn't see very many other people and didn't have any problems 'securing' a spot to sunbathe, but that may have been due the time we traveled (late August). We didn't find the resort to be claustrophobic but an extended stay would have been boring. Most of the rooms do not have air conditioning so it does make it for a hot night but with fans running and the windows open it wasn't uncomfortable. I also heard they were installing more rooms with air conditioning when they are shutting down next week. There are bugs but this is a tropical climate so it's to be expected. We didn't run into one cockroach in our room but were bitten by mosquitoes. Bring repellent if this bothers you.

The staff here is very friendly. Elvis guided us around the hotel and he was very informative, very professional, and very friendly. I don't think we ran into one person that was rude. Someone fixed us a snack when the lunch hour was over but dinner didn't start for another couple of hours. We stayed in the Stardust, which is a little off the resort but it was very romantic, secluded and private. There is a little bit of music between 3-7PM when the Sands opens to the public but after 7PM the music cuts off. The Stardust also comes with a private balcony overlooking the sea, very romantic and great view! There are some tourists that come up by the cliff to the left of the balcony but that is during the day.

The food seemed very authentic and definitely above average but far from 5-stars that other people claim it is. My husband and I eat out 5-6 times a week and we have had many meals that we would rate 5 stars. The closest I think you'll come to have a 5-star dining experience is the surf n' turf experience in the caves. If there was anything to be disappointed about the resort it would be that we chose this resort based on the reviews of the food. We definitely expected something different. We by no means had a bad meal during our stay here but I wouldn't go so far to say that the dining experience is a 3 star Michelin restaurant. I had banana pancakes every morning and they even made my husband's hash browns extra spicy since he loves spicy food. You always get a salad at lunch and a choice of two entrees. Shabba the chef for breakfast and lunch was very nice to talk to you and even explained some of the fishing practices around the island. He's also been working on the resort for 15 years! Dinner comes with an appetizer and a salad or soup and choice of two entrees. Like previous reviewers you can combo the dinner and get as little or as much food as you want. The desserts were ok, nothing special.

Cave dining was a private, romantic experience. The cave was lit with a lot of candles and provided a cozy feel. Our waiter was friendly and stayed out of the way for the most part. This experience was the only thing we would rate as a 5-star dining experience. We had the biggest lobster for our meal.

The couples massage was awesome. My husband had only one massage prior to this that left him wondering what the hoopla was about for massages. But he loved his massage this time around. Ann did a wonderful job. I had Patrick as my masseuse and he did an excellent job. I was left wanting a longer massage. The peppermint scalp rub was refreshing and left me feeling cool and smelling like peppermint the rest of the day.

Do book time to go snorkeling and kayaking with Paul. He is very friendly and knows his way around the ocean. We saw stingrays, jellyfish, lizardfish, fruit bats, parrot fish and picked up a starfish. He used to spear fish so he can point out all sorts of wildlife. If you do the kayaking don't wuss out and go half way try and stick out for the entire trip and you will arrive at a bat cave with an all sand shallow swimming area to relax in at the end. No one will offer this to you as a previous reviewer expected, book the time to do these activities with the front desk. Try out the cliff jumps. I only did the 30 foot jump once, and it will be the last time I do. My husband jumped numerous times.

Venturing off the resort isn't necessary unless you are looking for nightlife, shopping or something else to do. We would've been just as happy with our experience staying solely on the resort. When we did venture off the resort it was to get a little souvenir and then we came right back.

Overall the experience was unique and we would definitely come back with friends and family to an air conditioned room!

3 Thank LeaBear
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 August 2009

Honestly, since going to the Caves I have a new vision of Heaven. It is just THAT good. We spent the first half of our trip at Sandals and walking into the Caves was like walking into a cool, relaxing, gorgeous, "truly luxury included", oasis of perfection. We got there on a Sunday (and yes it is an AMAZING meal). When you first walk in, you are greeted with a drink while the 'front desk' staff introduces you to the place. Then you get a tour of the place while they deliver the bags. The tour was fantastic and helpful-pay attention! There are so many little beautiful things about this place-ie the rum bar and stone table-that you will want to remember over the course of your trip! We got there just in time for lunch and that was our first taste of what was to come... do NOT miss a meal at the Caves unless you are staying for a long time and it's a repeat. Later in the trip four of us rushed back from Sav-la-Mar on scooters just because we didn't want to miss the Caves delicious lunch!
We threw on some decent clothes and watched the sunset that first night. Had a few great drinks-dirty bananas, rum punch, cliffhanger (try em all!)-and headed up to a mouth-watering meal under the stars. It was just pure romance. Honestly it was like a dream-the candlelight, the stars, the waves crashing. This is what you WANT on your vacation. Every meal was as great and romantic. One night we swung on hammocks before the meal as a storm brewed. It got wild while we were eating and drinking our wine. Then, we went back to our room and watched the craziest lightning/thunderstorm from our little porch at Blue Dolphin.
Speaking of Blue Dolphin-it was great! Every room has it's pros and cons, but mostly they are pros. The best part was the huge tub, the stand-alone bed, and the front "porch". The location was fantastic as well, right between the main swimming locations and the dinner place. My husband would run out everyday at 4-5pm onto the wall in front of Blue Dolphin that was above the 2nd cave and watch the ScubaCaribe boat that went inside the cave. "Hey 'Bruce'!! Everybody say hi to 'Bruce!'" they would yell every day and all the tourists would say "HEYYY BRUCE!". My husbands name is Joe. TOO FUNNY!
You MUST do the snorkeling tour with Paul. I'm not into snorkeling so much and my husband had only been snorkeling in LI which is nothing like what snorkeling should be. We did the tour the first day, though, and were addicted! It may not be as colorful as the other islands I have been to but it sure was a lot of fun. Joe saw a massive stingray, I saw smaller ones, sea snakes, fish, jellyfish, moray eel, the deadly lionfish, even barracudas!
Get a massage from Patrick and Michelle. They are just professional and sweet at the same time. I've gotten numerous massages this year and the ones at the Caves blew all of them out of the water. I would actually do more if I were to go back and do it all over again.
THE JUMPS. Jumping off the medium ledge was my idea of a good time but I did brave the big one once. If you do it get in on video. I didn't do the Blue Hole but Joe did and his feet grazed the bottom. Wear water shoes.
TIPS: Bring lots of 1's and 5's. No need to spend JA money. We did just fine with American. If you are not afraid get a scooter and ride around the cliffs. So cool. Go way up the other end and see little hotels that were destroyed by Ivan and trying to rebuild.
Do the combo every single meal. Start drinking dirty bananas at 10. Snorkel. Jump. Walk to Rick's. Talk to other couples. Have dinner at the stone table, as well as the Cave Dinner in Cave#1 (although the other ones were great as well). The Hot Tub is just as good at night as it is at sunset. No matter what it will be one of the romantic experiences you could ever hope to have. Take pictures of everything. When you leave you are going to wish you took more. This place is heaven on earth. I cried the other night missing it. I did not miss Sandals.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank nickib983
New Orleans, LA
Reviewed 12 August 2009

We chose the Caves Resort as our honeymoon destination, because of the many reviews on Trip Advisor. Not only were the reviews positive, but the websit itself listed this resort as the #1 all-inclusive in the carribean!

Our room was the Sundancer. It was a 2 bedroom, 2 bath cottage that was overlooking the cliff and the main area of the Caves Resort. We were a little concerned when we were looking at dates, due to the heat being early June. I have to say that it did not bother us at all. We were hardly in the room during the day and at night the breeze coming off the water was relaxing and comfortable. Each room had nets around the beds to protect from bugs and they will provide you with extra fans upon request. They stock your fridge with drinks and also have alcohol for cocktail mixing.

The food was incredible!!!! The breakfast was great, because you have a choice between American or Jamaican. They serve fresh juice(ask for watermelon juice) and a fresh fruit plate that is amazing! Lunch was always refreshing and you have a salad and choice of 2 entrees or combo it! Dinner was simply to die for!!!! I am a very picky eater and I promised my husband that I would at least try everything...much to his suprise, I did! I have to say that it was absolutely the best cuisine that I have had on any vacation. We are from New Orleans, so we love flavor and spice. We were thrilled with the Jamaican food and wish we could have it on a regular basis! Each dinner had a starter, salad, soup, choice of entree(or combo it!) and then dessert. Please try to stay on a Sunday night...I won't ruin the suprise, but it is the BEST dinner!

It also was fun for us to be able to get behind the bar and make our own drinks. You basically will have free rain of their bars, so have fun! We even got to hang out with a lot of the staff at the Caves. It was great to be able to cut loose and get to know them. Ask for Ricardo. He is the best!

Last but not least....the property itself! WOW! It is so amazing to be able to wake up and see the crystal blue water and the sun popping up to say hi! We loved being able to get right into the ocean and float on rafts and relax. We highly recommend jumping off of the cliffs. It is gutwrenching to prepare to jump, but so worth it in the end. It is very liberating, but you definitely might need a drink after...or a couple! :) Ask for Paul, the water sports guru. He is an excellent snorkeling instructor and he will definitely talk you through jumping.

Ricardo, we know you read these reviews...these are your crazy New Orleans and Lafayette Louisiana gang! We had such a great time! Thanks for everything!!!!! By the way, we finally saw you on Bridgette's Sexiest Beaches!!! Woohooo!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mikeandheathe
California
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Just got back from our stay at the Caves and we were astonished by this place. After reading the all of the reviews on trip advisor we could not wait to begin our vacation at the Caves. You might think this place is too good to be true, but for once, there really is something out there that is this good....

We stayed 10 nights and wished we could have stayed forever. The food is incredible, and I am a very picky eater and did not come across one meal I did not like. Staff will go above and beyond to make sure you are enjoying your stay and the accommodations are like eclectic, rustic luxury. We had the pleasure of staying in an upstairs room (the butterfly) and woke up every morning to a fresh ocean breeze and a magnificent turquoise blue water view!

We also got married here (thanks Kenesha!) and feel we are so blessed to have this place in our memories forever.

I would recommend doing a spa treatment one day (Patrick will hook you up), having a dinner in one of the caves, doing the hot tub at sunset or at night , taking a bike ride up West End Road (the resort has bikes you can borrow) and kayaking/snorkeling with Paul.

If you are looking for a place to unwind, with five-star food and remarkable service--then look no further!

3 Thank kgrom2009
California
Reviewed 28 July 2009

My husband and I decided to spend half our honeymoon at the Caves. We were doubtful that it could live up the all the expectations that we read on trip advisor. We had spoken with a travel agent that had told us to watch out for places like this with such good reviews, that it was possible the staff we writing the reviews. However, everything positive said in previous posts are absolutely true. It is quiet but if you are there with a fun group you can make your own fun. It is romantic. I am a picky eater but the food was amazing -- ask for the combination!!!! The staff couldn't be nicer. Patrick gave me a wonderful massage. We stayed there for 4 nights and I wish we were there for a few more nights. We moved to Sandals Whitehouse after and just seemed a little let down after spending such an amazing time at the Caves. I would highly recommend a room with airconditiong.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lilnsweetz
rcarneysdsu
Reviewed 23 July 2009

My husband and I recently went to the Caves for our honeymoon. Everything previously written is true. The staff was so gracious and friendly. The food was amazing... anything you want for breakfast (really...anything...try the banana pancakes!). Dessert is always offered with lunch and every dinner is a 5 course fine dining exerience. We spent most of the time reading a book (several actually), lounging on the cliff, and swimming in the pool. The pool has a gorgeous view and you can spend all day in it. The sea was a little rough when we were there but we still managed to jump the cliffs :) As soon as you check in make arrangements to do the dinner in the cave and the jacuzzi. Such a wonderful experience and a memory you'll keep forever.
This place is amazing and so relaxing, but we had to esacpe a little to do excursions. We went to Rhodes Hall and went horse back riding. The guide even took us swimming with the horses. We also did the May Fields Waterfall. Its a 1 1/2 hour ride from the Caves, but well worth it. You get to see another side of Jamaica and we were the only 2 people on the entire tour walking up the water falls.
Our room was a upper flow, ocean view room called Mackatree. Although it didnt have A/C, the fan was powerful and cooled us down.It was so cute and very romantic. There is a seating area looking out to the Sea. There is dim lighting...but it adds to the ambience. The bed comfortable (not sure what the last person was talking about..), but we did get attacked by mosquitos...(we hope they were mosquitos...). The hotel provided bug spray but it didn't work. Besides the bugs, it was perfect.
We would come back every year if we could....

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rcarneysdsu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#7 of 81 in Negril
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to The Caves? Share your experiences!