“Magical, beautiful, amazing....”

Ranked #5 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Utah
“Magical, beautiful, amazing....”
Reviewed 22 December 2009

My husband and I were married at The Caves in late November. It was just the two of us, and they put on a beautiful ceremony complete with flowers, cake, great minister, a photographer and a unique setting. Where else could you take care of every wedding detail for only $1,000? The wedding service is a great option if you want a small or private wedding, and are happy with what the package offers and don't want a lot of extra things or have tons of detailed requests (this isn't a major resort churning out 100's of weddings a year). Our wedding was special, romantic and wonderful and we couldn't have been happier.
We stayed at The Caves for one week, as our honeymoon following the wedding. I have never stayed at an all-inclusive that is this small, and I had a great time getting to know the other guests. We even held an inpromptu poker tournament one night! The staff is wonderful and beyond nice, they are the ones who make your stay truly special.
We stayed at the Stardust, and really appreciated the privacy of being on the far side of the property, and having a cottage all to yourself. The rooms are very cute, and as other have said, clean and unique and special, but you're not at the Ritz so don't expect marble tile and luxury. We loved our adorable cottage.
We spent all day lounging by the water, and had no problem finding chairs and shade when we wanted it. You MUST do the snorkling with Paul, he's so knowledgeable and sweet. The food was excellent, the cocktails were outstanding and overall it was a wonderful and relaxing vacation.
We did everything that was suggested on this board - the snorkling guided tour, the hot tub, the caves dinner and massages at the spa. I recommend all of them - they're worth it! Also, jump into the blue hole. It's not nearly as scary as it looks. Oh, and I highly recommend bringing high DEET bug spray. Many guests did not get bit, but my husband and I were bit a lot. If you tend to get bit bring good bug spray!
We had one problem mar our otherwise perfect trip. It was a rather major issue, and while devastating I wouldn't have expected much of a resolution from any hotel. I won't even mention it here, as the Caves management went to UNBELIEVABLE effort to resolve this issue. The measures that they've taken will ensure this problem never happens again. And that is what singles out The Caves as a resort unlike any other.

4 Thank getroundtheworld

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Ann Arbor
Reviewed 7 December 2009

My wife and I returned from a week long stay (11/28 - 12/5) at The Caves to celebrate our anniversary.

It was the best week of our lives. Negril is our favorite place in Jamaica and The Caves is our favorite place in the world!

Every five star review has touched upon some aspect of it, but it is worth repeating.

The Setting - Magical, Breathtaking, Where God, Nature and Love converge. Pictures can't really capture the true beauty of this place. I took over 600 pictures - (My anniversary present from my wife) you will want to take pictures.

The Staff - Wonderful, Outstanding, they make you feel and treat you like family. You will want to tip them well. They will take care of any request you have. Many of them even used their day off to make sure we had every request met.

The Food - Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner were at a minimum very, very good. Want something special let them know - they will make it happen!

A few tips

Bring "Ultrathon" bugs won't be an issue.
There is a jack to use your ipod in the room.
Reserve a cave dinner, sunset or moonlight hot tub

We loved it so much we plan to rent the entire property for a special occasion.

The one thing that could destroy this place is if they start to expand. Let's hope the love and vision that went into building this place is maintained.

One Love

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank famgreen
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 3 December 2009

All of the great reviews are true! The pictures that you see of the place do not even begin to do it justice. We were at The Caves from 11/16-11/21 for the first part of our honeymoon. We chose it for the scenery, peacefulness and general relaxation. It delivered all of that and more. The staff is amazing and is like an extended family. Take advantage of your surroundings -- jump off the cliffs, go on a snorkel tour with Paul, taste all the different kinds of food, and especially all of the drinks (Blackwell rum!).

Some tips -- Bring bug spray. If you prefer air conditioning just make sure you book a downstairs room (we loved Blue Dolphin!). Also bring small bills for tips, or you could also just give one or two large tips for your whole stay.

2 Thank rwalker2018
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 30 November 2009

My husband and I just returned from a 7 day/ 6n ight stay at The Caves celebrating our honeymoon.
It was beautiful, romantic, and basically everything that everyone else has written. That being said, here are a few tips I wish I had known.
The resort boasts of privacy which is most definitely has. WIth it being so small however, you see the same people at meals, cocktail hour, etc so you almost feel forced to be socialable. At larger resorts you are surrounded my so many people you don't feel rude when you don't say hi everytime you pass someone. Here you do.
Book a room with A/C. We did and I am so thankful. It was so hot during the day that I felt ill.
Tip, tip, tip. This staff is so lovely and works so hard. Take smaller bills to hand out generously.
Get up early and claim your spot along the cliffs.
The Cave dinner is nice, I wasn't blown away by it. If you do book it, dress accordingly. It is hot in there!
Absolutley book the sunset hot tub. This was fabulous.
Don't be afraid to say you don't like something and ask for them to cook you something else. I am a picky eater (and vegetarian) and they were so wonderful about finding things for me to eat.
The CD's that were in the room were not to our liking and I wish I brought my own.
Our cleaning lady was PHENOMONAL. They take their time and don't like to be rushed. Give them their space, they will make sure your room is immaculate.

1 Thank Lady026
Pa
Reviewed 17 November 2009

I have traveled quite a bit to the islands an have stayed in many different hotel chains. This time was the first time in 16 years that I finally talked my fiance into comming along with me, so I wanted something really unique. I booked only 2 short nights at the Caves and the rest of the week at the Iberostar, boy what a mistake. I should have done that opposite and spent way more time at the Caves. But I wanted him to experience the beach and also the cliffs. All other reviews are truley correct this place rocks!!! The food was to die for, the staff was truley GREAT the property was just magical, our little One Drop room was perfect the outdoor shower was theeee BEST. If my fiance had a great time it must be good..!! He even said we will be back for a longer stay!!! Oh yeah one more thing the review that said this place is like camping I think you must have stayed a at a diffrent place or must have been smoking crack...LOL...... I'll be back....Yeah Mon......

1 Thank islandblues
NY
Reviewed 6 November 2009

If you are someone who is not looking for night life/entertainment than this place is for you. It is rest and relaxation at it's finest. We just got back from a 5 night stay at The Caves and it met and exceeded all of our expectations, which were pretty high, since I read all the reviews here on TripAdvisor!

The service was exceptional, the staff is so pleasant and genuine. The Caves is not hoity-toity but you never want for a thing.

The rooms have such character and ambiance. From the cd players all set to play music that fits the vibe, to each room/cottage's "theme" , to the candles and scented oils, everything about The Caves just oozes hospitality. Having raved about the rooms, I must say that I have never spent so little time in a room on a vacation. That is simply because the rest of the resort is so comfortable, I felt at home everywhere. When I needed a change of scenery, I just moved to a different spot. To address the lack of air conditioning and bugs: We tucked the standing fan under the mosquito netting at night and were more than comfortable. I did get a few bites, but I have been places where the bugs are a nuisance, and that is not the case at The Caves.

The food was fantastic. Everything is cooked to order and so fresh! Every morning we enjoyed the delicious Jamaican coffee, a fresh fruit plate (try the Sweet Sop and all island fruits, sooo good) and then the breakfast our choice. Lunch started with a salad, a choice of 2 entrees (or the "combo") and dessert. Dinner included an appetizer, soup, salad, a choice of 2 entrees (or the "combo") and dessert. You could have one course or all five. And the drinks are delicious, if you order a mango daquiri, it's got real mango in there. Like I said, everything is so fresh!

It's all true, if you are planning a trip at The Caves, you must:
Snorkel and Kayak with Paul
Get a massage or spa treatment
Do the sunset hot tub
Have a cave dinner
Eat at the red table or the stone table (or both)
Hang out on a hammock
Get to know the other guests and the staff, we met such interesting people
Take the yoga class
Try a dirty banana and a flaming Bob Marley shot
Get the combo

If you are someone who is all about a laid back vacation in a beautiful spot surrounded by great people, then go to the Caves. My husband & I both agree that this has been our best vacation EVER and we have traveled enough to know.

We hope to go back someday.

5 Thank CurlyGirlyLI
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed 28 October 2009

Our stay at the caves toward the end of July was the perfect Carribean Honeymoon. Highlights included the delicious food (I might sound american but my favorite was the french toast at Breakfast) the Jamaican dinners were more than authentic and always very fresh. My hubby and I are not alcohol drinkers, so if you are the same be sure to ask the waiters not to add rum to your desserts!! I enjoyed a wonderful Aveda rosemary mint body wrap on the outdoor massage area. A once in a lifetime experience itself. The place just fits. It blends perfectly to the Jamaican landscape. We especially enjoyed the personal Kayaking and Snorkeling trips with Paul, and the ice cold mint scented towel the nice hostesses offered us afterward. Overall it was a great honeymoon and The Caves proved to be a great choice!!

One more thought.... Dinner in the caves is a must, extremely romantic and a once in a lifetime experience!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#7 of 81 in Negril

Been to The Caves? Share your experiences!